Thread: Omnis not understanding veganism is a *choice*

mango woman

Default Omnis not understanding veganism is a *choice*

does anyone do this? I find myself correcting people if they ask me "CAN you have this?" or "oh you can't have that" by telling them that i choose not to. I'm not sure why but it's an automatic thing now. I guess i try to get them to understand that i CHOOSE not to consume those things, and that it's not in any way a restrictive life.

Seaside

Default Re: Omnis not understanding veganism is a *choice*

I no longer think of animals and anything that comes from them as food, so there is no restriction. You are right, theashleybeyer, it is all about choice; I eat anything I want, because what I eat is food! I don't even call it "vegan" food. What other people eat isn't food, what I eat IS. Choosing to not think of animals as food is as restrictive as an omni feeling restricted by not being "allowed" to eat sawdust.

I agree! And I know exactly what you mean, Ashley. When the operative word is "can", I feel like people are just not understanding veganism's purpose. They consider it something that is inflicted upon us, like lactose intolerance, or a religious law, like eating kosher.

Seaside, you have just inspired me of what I will say next time someone says "Can you eat _____?"

I'm going to reply:
    "No, I only eat food."

I like it. "I only eat food", I will also be using that.

I have also been asked if I am allowed to eat that,
    I can eat whatever I want but I choose not to eat other species.

Quote Seaside
    I no longer think of animals and anything that comes from them as food, so there is no restriction.
    I tried to explain that to someone at the weekend, but I just don't think they got it. I guess they're not ready to understand. My friends are sort of supportive, in that they make sure I have things to eat, but they very much see my diet as restrictive and think I must feel really bad about missing out on eating non-vegan things. I was trying to explain to them that I'm glad I don't eat it because I find it disgusting!

Sometimes I must just exist in my own little vegan dreamworld because a couple of times in the last few years I have forgotten that the world is like this and was genuinely shocked to see meat for sale or on menus. Nightmare! ("Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOO they're eating the ANIMALS!!!!!!" )
    Luckily (?) I'm in the real world most of the time!

It's difficult to make people understand why you don't eat animal products in a way that doesn't offend them. Ideally, by explaining my own motivation, I'd like people to start questioning their own diets but without feeling criticised. I'm sure a lot of omnis KNOW it makes sense as so often when you innocently mention you're vegan a great wall of defence goes up and they bombard you with those oh-so-well-known-on-this-forum ridiculous omni attacks!

I'm in two minds about this. I don't really feel it was a choice to go vegan. I didn't have a choice. Once I had enough information for the bits to fit together, there was no alternative.

If you tell people it is a choice, then they may feel that means that you are choosing to be awkward or difficult or whatever.

I suppose the closest fit for me is to say "I won't eat that", rather than "I choose not to eat that". I know it's probably only a small difference, but it is closer to the way I see it.

mango woman

Quote Rob(QG)
    I'm in two minds about this. I don't really feel it was a choice to go vegan. I didn't have a choice. Once I had enough information for the bits to fit together, there was no alternative.

If you tell people it is a choice, then they may feel that means that you are choosing to be awkward or difficult or whatever.

I suppose the closest fit for me is to say "I won't eat that", rather than "I choose not to eat that". I know it's probably only a small difference, but it is closer to the way I see it.

i see where youre coming from Rob[QG]. I too, in that aspect, felt there was no alternative lifestyle to veganism and chose to live it. I could use that line as well a few times... 'not seeing how there was a choice between murdering innocent animals inhumanely and ruthlessly..or not.' Obviously i choose to not involve myself in such activities. Hmm.. sometimes it's just hard to get omnis to understand.

mango woman

Quote thecatspajamas1
    I agree! And I know exactly what you mean, Ashley. When the operative word is "can", I feel like people are just not understanding veganism's purpose. They consider it something that is inflicted upon us, like lactose intolerance, or a religious law, like eating kosher.

Seaside, you have just inspired me of what I will say next time someone says "Can you eat _____?"

I'm going to reply:
    "No, I only eat food."
    Excellent! I'm going to have to borrow that line a few times as well.

Quote cherry
    Sometimes I must just exist in my own little vegan dreamworld because a couple of times in the last few years I have forgotten that the world is like this and was genuinely shocked to see meat for sale or on menus. Nightmare! ("Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOO they're eating the ANIMALS!!!!!!" )
    Luckily (?) I'm in the real world most of the time!
    I think I'm there in that dreamworld with you a lot of the time! that happens to me once in a while; I'll see someone eating meat, or will see it for sale, and be absolutely horrified, completely forgetting it's considered normal.
    "Boy, I got a vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals."
    -- Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid

Quote thecounterspark
    I think I'm there in that dreamworld with you a lot of the time! that happens to me once in a while; I'll see someone eating meat, or will see it for sale, and be absolutely horrified, completely forgetting it's considered normal.
    Me to. I hate the meat isle in the supermarket. Just a vast isle of blood and i think "who the hell in there right mind would eat that" then i see the people at the checkout with the £1.99 chicken and i think "£1.99 is that all that chickens life is worth to you" and i get really annoyed with everyone. Thats why i try not to think to much either or i would go around in a state of angry all the time. I remember when i was on holiday i complety forgot people ate meat. There was this couple in front of me who ordered some sort of flesh fest and i watched the lady put the, what they call food into her mouth and i just felt like diving over the table in an action hero style shouting noooooooo. I dont know why it bothered me so much that day and it hasnt happened since but it was very alien to me to see someone eating meat.

Cherry i think you are in this world most of the time to but it is nice to escape to vegan world now and then.

Oh and to actually keep to the question at hand, i say "yes i can eat it if i want to but i choose not to thank you" and yes i do get annoyed when people say "oh you cant eat that can you?" like they feel sorry for me or something, no i feel sorry for you for being so blind.

I work with someone who used to think veganism was some kind of illness that resricted my diet that made me laugh, another thing is them saying oh look what you missing out on when people bring cakes into work to celebrate a birthday....this started to piss me off so one the offending person got the truth....

I said yes I am missing out on being responsible for a calf being stolen from his raped mother at birth after being forced into a milking pen and months of being a calf making machine not by choice, I also feel I am missing out on the 12 - 15 % of puss that is found in every 1 litre of milk that is considered fit for human consumption so gets passed down the food chain to humans.

I am also missing out on all the other dairy products that should really be red and not white and the blood shed from dairy production is shocking, so behind the white pure image of milk lies a filthy sea of blood.......

funnily enough the sarcastic comments have gone away, hmm but they soon had some vegan cake I made and bought in for all to share on my birthday.....they did come and say how nice it was...I reminded them "So do you think I am really missing out on anything?.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

mango woman

Quote puffin
    i say "yes i can eat it if i want to but i choose not to thank you" and yes i do get annoyed when people say "oh you cant eat that can you?" like they feel sorry for me or something, no i feel sorry for you for being so blind.

Yes!!!!!! I wish i could say that to people without getting them very angry with me.

we'll save that for the heated discussions.

mango woman

Quote snaffler
    I work with someone who used to think veganism was some kind of illness that resricted my diet that made me laugh, another thing is them saying oh look what you missing out on when people bring cakes into work to celebrate a birthday....this started to piss me off so one the offending person got the truth....

I said yes I am missing out on being responsible for a calf being stolen from his raped mother at birth after being forced into a milking pen and months of being a calf making machine not by choice, I also feel I am missing out on the 12 - 15 % of puss that is found in every 1 litre of milk that is considered fit for human consumption so gets passed down the food chain to humans.

I am also missing out on all the other dairy products that should really be red and not white and the blood shed from dairy production is shocking, so behind the white pure image of milk lies a filthy sea of blood.......

funnily enough the sarcastic comments have gone away, hmm but they soon had some vegan cake I made and bought in for all to share on my birthday.....they did come and say how nice it was...I reminded them "So do you think I am really missing out on anything?.

that's awesome!!!!! Such good points to make next time!

Gliondrach

If you're not too bothered about offending them you could say 'No one needs to eat that, it is wrong to eat it, and it is the product of cruelty'. But be prepared to then explain why it's cruel. And what gives you the right to decide what is cruel. And then perhaps a hail of questions about politics, economics, history, archeaology, anthropology and Morris dancing..

mango woman

I like that. I think i'll try putting the pity on them... "no one should need to eat that. I'm sorry that you do.. " and then i'll make a sad face at them.. kind of like this.

Mwah ah ah

Gliondrach

Sorry to be pedantic, Ashley, but if you say that you are sorry that they NEED to eat it, you could sound as if you know that they do have to eat it. You could leave out the 'need'.

Make a sad face, but not a purple one. Or, you could just hit them. That settles a lot of arguments and saves time.

mango woman

Quote Gliondrach
    Sorry to be pedantic, Ashley, but if you say that you are sorry that they NEED to eat it, you could sound as if you know that they do have to eat it. You could leave out the 'need'.

Make a sad face, but not a purple one. Or, you could just hit them. That settles a lot of arguments and saves time.
    hahaha i should. just hit them if they ask me if i can eat something.

You're right with the 'need' thing. I will leave that out.

then i'll make a sad face at them.. kind of like this.
    Lol, so cute.

And that's true about hitting, gliondrach. I want to slap all the omnivores, but wish I had enough slapping power. I'll eat some more tofu to build up my slapping power...

Quote Gliondrach

Oh i could never see you hitting anyone. Your just trying to look hard and cool now arent you?

Gliondrach

I've had my moments.

Are you saying that I'm not tough? Come up here and say that.

Quote Gliondrach
    I've had my moments.

Are you saying that I'm not tough? Come up here and say that.
    Ok. Meet you outside in ten minutes and lets see how big you are then Mr.

He's only saying that cos he's got that big stick...

Quote Rob(QG)
    He's only saying that cos he's got that big stick...
    Yeh, good point Rob. Wow rob has a pob

princessemma

[QUOTE=puffin]Me to. I hate the meat isle in the supermarket. Just a vast isle of blood and i think "who the hell in there right mind would eat that" then i see the people at the checkout with the £1.99 chicken and i think "£1.99 is that all that chickens life is worth to you" and i get really annoyed with everyone. Thats why i try not to think to much either or i would go around in a state of angry all the time.
    QUOTE]

Tell me about it, last week my little girl saw chickens in Tesco and asked me 'what are those' I just said 'they're something that makes the animals sad' She's just approaching three so I didn't want to be too graphic. Plus my parents keep chickens and she's really fond of them. I wish they didn't put the free from aisle next to the chicken one.

I was out to lunch with an omni the other day and she asked me how I came to veganism. I told her that once I started asking questions about food and where it comes from - veganism was the only correct answer. So I guess that once you have all the answers there really isn't a choice after all.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Pilaf

This friend of mine who just doesn't get it was asking me what I "can" eat. I finally got tired and said "Can you smoke dope or rape women?" He said.. "I could but I'd never do those things". I simply replied "Good. You just made my job a lot easier"

Quote theashleybeyer
    does anyone do this? I find myself correcting people if they ask me "CAN you have this?" or "oh you can't have that" by telling them that i choose not to. I'm not sure why but it's an automatic thing now. I guess i try to get them to understand that i CHOOSE not to consume those things, and that it's not in any way a restrictive life.
    Does it really matter if you "can't" or "won't" eat something? The net result is the same - you're not going to eat it.
    I can't eat animals the same way I can't eat shit or steel bars or umbrellas. It's what we don't eat that's important not the wording.

Quote DianeVegan
    I was out to lunch with an omni the other day and she asked me how I came to veganism. I told her that once I started asking questions about food and where it comes from - veganism was the only correct answer. So I guess that once you have all the answers there really isn't a choice after all.
    You're right, Diane, it's not a choice once you know about the industry. I could NEVER EVER eat meat and dairy again.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

mango woman

Quote celtic rose
    Does it really matter if you "can't" or "won't" eat something? The net result is the same - you're not going to eat it.
    I can't eat animals the same way I can't eat shit or steel bars or umbrellas. It's what we don't eat that's important not the wording.
    Yes it does matter. The point was how our wording can affect how omnis think of veganism and how it can sometimes convert someone or push them away alltogether. By making them understand you have chosen to live this way, you can make them realize you are not missing out on anything and that there is more to eat than dead things.

DianeVegan: I agree with what you said as well. I've explained that to my family before. It really isn't a conscious choice for me anymore.. When i see animals prepared for consumption etc it doesn't resemble food to me whatsoever. When i first came to the forum someone told me something about animal products eventually becoming 'as edible as a paper bag'.. and that's completely true. To me, i only eat food. I don't feel depraved or restricted or as if i'm on some sort of 'diet' or anything. I live my life and that is that.

Pilaf: good one. I may have to use that sometime when i'm low on tolerance.

greenworlds

From my experience and reading others views on this thread ..I think veganism isn't a choice in respect that there really isn't an acceptable alternative and why would there need to be with the almost innumerable food choices that can be made and those that are available.
    It can be annoying at times when omnis see not eating animal products as somehow restricting. If someone asks me again..you can't eat eggs? I will say no I can't eat eggs (shaking head saying errr Yuk the thought of that sickens me. I couldn't eat what are potentially baby chickens, or say something similiar.