Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wheatgrass????

Default Re: Wheatgrass????

For those of you who grow your own wheatgrass, what kind of soil do you grow it in? Would it grow in just peat moss? I won't use any potting soil that has vermiculite in it and it's hard to find anything without vermiculite, at least around here.

Seaside

Try mixing peat moss with coarse sand veganwitch.

Pilaf

I actualy love wheatgrass juice, although I feel extremely bad for anybody who is downwind of me afterwards.

Wow! This actually resolves what the source of my mystery flatulence was last night. Interesting. I was blaming the Clif Bar.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

Quote Seaside
    Try mixing peat moss with coarse sand veganwitch.
    Thanks for the tip Seaside. I'll give it a go!

DayofDarknss

I tried wheatgrass once, years ago when I was a young teenager, and one sip almost made me puke! However, I'd like to try it again, because of its acclaimed health benefits. I heard its very good for the digestive system and that it can help cure some digestive/bowel problems, anyone know if this is actually true?

Wheatgrass doesn't live up to hype (Judy Skatssoon, ABC Science Online 10/05/06

Wheatgrass juice may not be quite the tonic that many people think, according to a review that finds little evidence for many of its health claims.

Full article at: http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/h...sh_1634415.htm
    Eve

Thank you for that link, Eve. The hemoglobin theory has always been a difficult one to accept but it's harder to explain why something doesn't make physiological sense after a number of people jump on the bandwagon. And I've been a victim of that myself, adding wheatgrass to my juice (okay, in the winter, the frozen cubes of it, when there's not much in the way of fresh produce) and telling myself that I am getting some benefit.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

If it makes you feel good, use it. If it doesn't, then don't. End of story. Like many other things, the actual benefits of wheatgrass are up in the air. Feeling sick to your stomach shortly after drinking it does not mean you "need" it, it means it bothers your stomach and you might not want to continue drinking it. As far as the nutritional content of it, if it really has all it claims, then much of that will not be absorbed in one sitting. It's like vitamins-you could take 20 of them at once and not get anymore benefit than taking 1. Your body can only absorb so many nutrients at any one given time.

I have been drinking wheatgrass for the last few months and the first time i tried it i though it was nasty but i dont mind it now. I just put it in a shot glass with water and drink.