Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: About milk and dairy products

Default Re: How to Give up Dairy For Good!~

OMG thank you for that absolutely amazing post! Very true - you really nailed it!

Oh hallelujah! I've been trying to be a good vegan for two years now, and cheese keeps dragging me down! If there was no cheese in the world, I'd be the perfect vegan. I'm a vet student too, so I know all about calves being separated from moms at day 1, but sometimes my stomach and taste buds still get the best of me...

Thanks so so much for your post, I'm definitely going to try your methods! Yay, this made my day!

Any others with other similar experiences and/or success stories?

Yay!

Cheese was pretty hard for me too. Cheese and ranch dressing. Oh lord. I kicked it pretty much the same way, by visualizing where it came from and what the cow had to go through to get this cheese I'm looking at. Then I started eating substitutes for the foods whenever I had cravings for them. At first it didn't do much because it didn't taste the same, but after a while when I thought of ranch dressing I automatically thought of the taste of vegan ranch. When I thought of cheesy pizza, I automatically thought of FAKE cheese on the pizza. And even though I'm not such a big fan of fake cheeses, that actually helps as well, because when people say cheese to me I think of that stuff and I think "mehhhhhh" as opposed to "oh, what? Dairy cheese?! YUM!"

I remember once I was really craving a tuna sandwich for some odd reason. I couldn't get the thought of that tuna sandwich out of my head. I was browsing through here and I saw someone make a reply about wanting a tuna sandwich and they said "I wanted a tuna sandwich until I thought about what it was: a mashed up dead fish in mayonnaise."

Ever since reading that I have never wanted a tuna sandwich. It was genius.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Zombie

Question Milk

So one of the biggest issues i am having with becoming vegan is my isatiable love for milk...i know it sounds bad but its true, and its not an easy habit to kick (eating animal products/meat). So far im a month clean of any animal products, but i still have a horrible craving for milk. When i decided to change my ways i thought the milk would be the easiest thing to give up but it seems that i can barely stomach the taste of soy anything...so is there any better alternative to milk other than soy products?

Default Re: Milk

You know you can actually be addicted to milk and cheese? Like physically addicted? There is a chemical in cow's milk that is meant to keep its baby coming back for more milk. You drink it, you get hooked.
    I hate soy milk as well, but there are many other "milk" products that are way better, it just depends on what you want to do with it. When I'm drinking it or using it in my cereal, I like to use rice milk. When I'm cooking I like to use vanilla soymilk only because it is thicker and sweeter. Rice milk is thinner and more...refreshing. There is also hemp milk and almond milk, and probably a lot more. Just shop around.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Hi, if you can get into the "No Dairy" sub-forum there is quite a bit of discussion of milk substitutes - not sure if this link will work: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

There are quite a lot of different vegan "milks" to try - rice, oat, nut...Maybe if you can get to a big healthfood store you will be able to find a few different ones to try, or if not order some online?

If you liked milk as a drink, then an alternative approach might be to cultivate a taste for a completely different drink, such as herb tea. This might work better because none of the milk alternatives will taste exactly the same as milk.

RubyDuby

There's rice milk, oat milk, hemp milk, and I'm sure I'm missing some other alternatives, but my favorite is Almond Milk. Have you tried chocolate or vanilla Silk? I know it's soy, but esp the chocolate is really freaking good.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I struggled with giving up milk as I used to drink it by the glassful. I find that soy is not bad in tea, but I have never found anything to replace milk. All I can say is that it does get easier as the less animal products you eat, the worse they taste if you do lapse. I had been vegan for about 6 months when I grabbed a glass of milk. I had been looking forward to it so much, yet one sip was enough to make me feel sick.

One of the nicest milke replacement drinks I have found is almond milk (very expensive over here I find) and also Rice milk with almond and hazlenut. They are not like milk, but taste a lot nicer to just plain soy (At least to me).

Stick with it, just do your best and don;t beat yourself up too much if you can't resist, just keep trying. Try to remember your reasons for being vegan and be kind to yourself. You have drunk milk for a long time, it will take a while to get used to not having it!

Good luck!
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those that understand binary and those that don't.

I like rice milk better than soy milk.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Adding milk shake flavouring to soymilk hit the spot as a replacement for a glass of milk for me at the start. After a few weeks though, I enjoyed the taste of soymilk on its own.

It tastes great with biscuits and cookies, too.

It's a bit of an acquired taste I think.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Zombie

Quote Sarah_ View Post
    You know you can actually be addicted to milk and cheese? Like physically addicted? There is a chemical in cow's milk that is meant to keep its baby coming back for more milk. You drink it, you get hooked.
    Accually I didnt know that...