Thread: Juicer or bread machine?

Default Juicer or bread machine?

Which expensive appliance should I spend my money on?

Juicer OR bread machine?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

mango woman

Default Re: Juicer or bread machine?

i'd say a bread machine. I got a juicer off ebay a while ago, used it a few times and was pretty tired of it. The juice was good, but its just not worth it for the amount of produce you have to buy just to get that much juice. plus most juicers are a bitch to clean up. mine is. A bread maker would be badass because you can always make fresh bread whenever you want.. including "garbage" bread.. with tons of nuts, seeds, dried fruits, etc. Yummm.

I say bread maker to

we just got a juicer, kind of annoying about 6 pears for a little bit of juice.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

My choice would be for the juicer - hands down.
    Then again, I am a health fanatic.
    I use my juicer on a regular basis, and have found it one of the most important tools in my arsenal for maintaining vibrant health.
    My second choice would be for a kick-a** blender along the lines of a Vita-Mix.
    I am not fond of bread, and find that it is generally not terribly supportive of good health, although I will admit that making your own bread does permit you to make some pretty healthy options.

May peace and joy be with you.
    Vegit-8
    Live with compassion and respect.

Seaside

I agree, Vegit-8. I have a juicer and a high powered blender, as juices and smoothies are so much better for you than bread. I don't like bread machine bread, anyway. I prefer my own hand made loaves.

you can't juice as easily as you can make your own bread...

My mom has a bread machine and she never uses it. She always ends up making her bread by hand.

You can't juice by hand, can you?

If it came down to it, I wouldn't get either. I would just eat the fruit and veggies whole and not eat bread! hehe I try to stay away from electic appliances as much as possible. (damn computer...)

Have you considered a cast iron pan or some nice stainless steel loaf pans to make your own homemade bread? It's very satisfying. Or maybe you could get yourself a whole bunch of well made kitchen utensils such as measuring cups and measuring spoons... i don't know..just a thought!

If you have to pick one, I'd say the juicer!

Number one on the list should be a blender if you don't have one. I would take smoothied fruit over juiced fruit.

And it doesn't have to be expensive. I bought a food processor and blender combo for £20 and have used it every day. It might not be the best but it has handled everything I have thrown at it.

I have a bread machine and I don't make bread as often as I should. I'm going to try and change that. I do eat a fair bit of bread, but worry about the salt content. Lo-Salt works in bread (tested it yesterday) so I can cut my salt by making my own bread instead of buying it.

We're looking at getting a juicer. For me this would be to juice vegetables and wheatgrass. No need to juice fruit, really. If it's a pain to clean it'll never get used. So that means we're looking at expensive options and I would worry we still wouldn't use it.

For me the price of kit is:

Food processor/blender £20
    Breadmaker £50
    Juicer that I like the sound of £199-£250. There is one for £99 that might be OK.

Bread machine!

You don't have to let it do everything - I nearly always just put it on the dough cycle then use the dough to make pizza bases, ciabatta, rolls, french sticks, etc.

If you go with a juicer, this one is good:

http://www.ukjuicers.com/fruitandveg...ip1105Grey.htm

Is that the one you have seen Rob? We got this a while ago and it's pretty good. Don't use it very often though, as they are a hassle to clean and expensive for fruit to get enough juice. I have just started buying Innocent juices and smoothies, as it's so much easier.

IMHO If you eat a lot of bread then probably a bread machine as they are so easy to use. I use mine about twice a month (but I try not to eat too much bread).
    My juicer is a pain in the ass to clean but I've had it for about 15 years so I suppose new models are better, I only use it about 4 times a year mainly for juicing grapes and apples from the garden.
    If you don't have a blender then this is definitely worth investing in, great for smoothies and soups. I use mine almost every day!

Bread machine!!

Sure you can make bread by hand, but unless you don't work long hours with no other comitments you're unlikely to on a daily basis. Personally I have both, but there's more to healthy living than drinking fruit juice and my bread machine sees a lot of use. It's paid for itself many times over in the saving I've made from buying bread.

If I had to start all over again, in a kitchen with just a cooker, fridge, hob and sink in the way of applicances, bread machine is the first thing I'd get, followed by microwave.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Theres a whole thread about Juicers / blenders here, if anyone is after ideas.

Well, to the people who suggested baking by hand: I suck at baking and I'm a uni student. I don't have time!

I already have a blender/food processor but it's getting old but my family can buy a new one.

Hmm, I still don't know. Hmm.

how much bread do you normally eat Tigerlily? maybe you can work out the cost of making your own bread and whether it'd save you money to make it yourself.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I don't eat a lot of bread since there are no vegan breads available in the stores!

I eat pita and sprouted grain breads ($$$$$) instead. If I got a breadmachine, I'd finally be able to enjoy some nice bread.

sounds like that's the better option for you then! unless you spend loads of money on fruit juice as well...
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Tigerlily
    ...I eat pita ...
    That's another thing I've made quite successfully with my breadmaker dough

Quote Tigerlily
    Which expensive appliance should I spend my money on?

Juicer OR bread machine?
    Bread maker - yes, but a BIG word of caution - I have tried a few and the ONLY one worth buying in my opinion (if you can find one - look on the internet - is the Russell Hobbs Breadman Pro - honestly - they vary so much and so many people told me they weren't worth buying before I bought mine) - it's worth spending a bit more then you'll get really lovely bread (almost) every time....
    I have nothing to declare but my genius - Oscar Wilde

Mmm, alright. It's decided. I will get a bread machine. It probably won't be for a long time because I'm lazy. But I will get it.

Seaside

Quote terra
    you can't juice as easily as you can make your own bread...
    You can't juice by hand, can you?
    Yes, but its difficult. You can shred carrots finely, wrap them in a cloth, and wring the juice from them.

Folks seem to think juicers are for fruits. The very best use for a good juicer is to juice vegetables, especially if you don't like eating them. That way you get all the vitamins and live enzymes from them, without the fibers that inhibit absorption of nutrients. Fiber loss in juicing is not an issue for vegans, who already get plenty of fiber from their diets.

I know you have decided, Tigerlily, but I wanted to answer that question.

Quote Seaside
    Yes, but its difficult. You can shred carrots finely, wrap them in a cloth, and wring the juice from them.

Folks seem to think juicers are for fruits. The very best use for a good juicer is to juice vegetables, especially if you don't like eating them. That way you get all the vitamins and live enzymes from them, without the fibers that inhibit absorption of nutrients. Fiber loss in juicing is not an issue for vegans, who already get plenty of fiber from their diets.
    Thanks Seaside!

Seaside

You're welcome, terra!

Bread maker always a winner, I would miss mine if I never had it, make amazing rye dough pizza bases with, far nicer taste than regular dough.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

I'd go for the bread machine. I have a juicer and gave up with it after a few weeks as it was just so fiddly. I'm going to get a blender to do smoothies. Much easier.

I'd definitly go with a juicer. I live in the Pacific NW. We have an artisan bakery on just about every corner. I can buy bread that is so much better than anything I've ever made that it is pointless for me to make bread unless I just feel the creative urge to bake. Even then I find it more fun and less clean up to make bread by hand.

Now, I love my Omega 3000 juicer. I juice greens and carrots and beets almost everyday. I guess that makes me kind of a health nut. I rarely make fruit juice I just eat the fruit. But I couldn't buy fresh juice many places around here and bottled veg juice is yucky. You will get a good yield of juice with a good quality juicer. No need to buy top of the line, but stay away from the cheap ones they break quickly.

Yeah buy a juicer. the omega is as good as a greenstar or greenlife at half the price. I used to have a juiceman jr that worked okay for years. I like my omega better though.

sugarmouse

Quote Spiral
    I'd go for the bread machine. I have a juicer and gave up with it after a few weeks as it was just so fiddly. I'm going to get a blender to do smoothies. Much easier.

ITA i love my blender!it can keep me amused for hours.
    i have never thought about gettina juicer.i w0uldnt get a bread machine because i think i overdose on the stuff anyways and i dont like to..but thats JMHO.

Bread machines are so cool, I would go with the bread machine.

You can even give fresh bread as a last minute gift, so it's a great machine to have.

I'm going to bring my bread machine to my dorm so that I can make yummy breads for breakfast and snacks, I want to make whole wheat flaxseed bread.

A juicer would be cool too, but you might as well eat the whole fruit and get the fiber.