Thread: talking to the people

Wink talking to the people

In between buying handbags or browsing the jewellery counters, shoppers in Thailand will soon also be able to get their daily dose of dharma under a plan to install monks in major department stores. Under the "meet the monk in a quiet corner" project, the Ministry of Culture plans to rent out space in stores throughout the country where shoppers can have a quiet chat with clergy in a bid to bring people closer to religion, officials said.

Shoppers will be encouraged to participate in religious activities, and films or religious-themed comics will be available to attract younger participants.

I wonder if this approach could be taken up by groups of vegans at shopping malls?
    Eve

cross barer

Default Re: talking to the people

Thats excellent, instead of a salvation army guy asking for money, they'll have a bhuddist telling them to overcome their material desires

One more reason why it would be nice to live in Thailand

Quote adam antichrist
    Thats excellent, instead of a salvation army guy asking for money, they'll have a bhuddist telling them to overcome their material desires
    And if they act on the advice, that would be the end of the shopping mall

Quote adam antichrist
    One more reason why it would be nice to live in Thailand
    My brother-in-law has been to Thailand on a number of occasions and said the people are happy and smile all the time. He would like to emigrate there one day. However, on one visit he was ill and had to be admited to hospital and it wasn't a pleasant experience by all accounts, so there are some downsides. But then that's true of anywhere.

Quote eve
    I wonder if this approach could be taken up by groups of vegans at shopping malls?
    I was asked to leave a shopping mall a few years ago for leafleting. I and some others had set up our AR/vegan stall in the high street and the weather turned to rain so we decided to take shelter in the shopping mall and continued leafleting. They soon asked us to leave. We asked if they would give us permission on another day, but they said that wouldn't be possible as we were 'too political'.

I don't need to leaflet in a shopping centre to be abused about being vegan. Friends, relatives and even total strangers give me a hard time about it - I've been really fed up lately.
    I eat plants for goodness sake - big deal, anyone would think I was a child abuser the way they carry on
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote Hemlock
    I don't need to leaflet in a shopping centre to be abused about being vegan. Friends, relatives and even total strangers give me a hard time about it - I've been really fed up lately.
    I eat plants for goodness sake - big deal, anyone would think I was a child abuser the way they carry on
    Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time Hemlock. I dont know why people feel the need to express there opinion on veganism. Its not as if we go around telling all the omnis we meet what we think of there diet.

I think it would be good to see more leaflet in health stores about veganism. The last time i was in my local H&B they had a stack of leaflets about the fast food place down the road with lovely pics of kebabs and burgers on the front

It's a good job there are sites like this one where you can talk to like minded people Hemlock. If the people around you give you a hard time because of your compassionate way of life, you can let off steam here

They're only giving you abuse because our lifestyle makes them think and examine the way they live and the things they've taken for granted all their lives. If it didn't make them think and confront some uncomfortable truths, they wouldn't do it.

I know how you feel, Hemlock. I get that from my ex, and from one of my sons thanks in part to his father's influence , and he was brought up by vegan parents!!! Other people look at me as if I've just sprouted another head or something when they first hear I'm vegan . My few friends don't seem to understand (or perhaps just don't want to - might change their life?).

But hey, chin up though Hemlock! Don't let the b*ggers get you down

Thanks guys Feeling better already, especially as my veggie son has announced he's going vegan.
    Silent but deadly :p

cross barer

Quote puffin
    Its not as if we go around telling all the omnis we meet what we think of there diet.
    I do

I'm getting in early for when the oil crisis hits in about ten years, I am always pointing out that only selfish people eat meat in my country. I am still selfish by the way, but that is beside the point.

Quote adam antichrist
    I do

I'm getting in early for when the oil crisis hits in about ten years, I am always pointing out that only selfish people eat meat in my country. I am still selfish by the way, but that is beside the point.
    Good on you. I just cant be doing with the conflict that goes with it

I once saw a table run by the American Vegan Society at a local mall. They had a very good central location.

my teacher is soc made a face that i ate tofu-turkey on thanksgiving and stuff and so i said that even the omnis enjoyed it. everyone looked at me like they didn't know what an omni was (which isn't a surprise, they've never been reffered to as that) and so i said meat eaters like them, and everyone looked at me like i had two heads. they could snicker about my vegan food (that they hadn't tried and was delish) but i couldn't point out the fact that they ate meat stupid (sorry maybe a bit off topic...)
    Peace Love Surf.

Quote Spiral
    I was asked to leave a shopping mall a few years ago for leafleting. I and some others had set up our AR/vegan stall in the high street and the weather turned to rain so we decided to take shelter in the shopping mall and continued leafleting. They soon asked us to leave. We asked if they would give us permission on another day, but they said that wouldn't be possible as we were 'too political'.
    Here in the main mall, it's only necessary to ask first, get an agreed date, then on that date set up the table with leaflets etc. We did that for the Toastmasters organisation but just once a year on a particular anniversary. We had some free cake to give out, and to entice people over to see our leaflets. The passers by were just interested in eating the cake, and getting their little brats to eat as much as poss! Too difficult to get volunteers to stand there all day! That was my lot
    Eve