Thread: Vegans and carnivorous animals

Default Vegans and carnivorous animals

Hello - I'm new. I'm currently a vege who likes hanging out around here. I thought I'd emerge from lurkdom to ask a question.

Philosophically speaking, how do vegans treat carnivorous animals? If eating meat is immoral, do you assign an immoral character to animals that consume meat? You can't deny that it is a natural state for them, as the biomechanical indications (sharp teeth, etc.) are certainly there.

I'm currently a vegetarian because I believe that conventional animal farming is unethical, wasteful, and unhealthy. While I agree that the unneccessary, inhumane slaughter of animals is wrong, I'm curious what you vegan cat or dog owners do when your pet eats meat or wants to kill a bird outside.

Seaside

Default Re: Vegans and Carnivorous Animals

Quote grail
    Hello - I'm new. I'm currently a vege who likes hanging out around here. I thought I'd emerge from lurkdom to ask a question.
    Philosophically speaking, how do vegans treat carnivorous animals?
    Speaking for myself, rather than for all vegans, there is no difference between carnivorous and other animals. All have the right to exist unmolested by human beings.

Quote grail
    If eating meat is immoral, do you assign an immoral character to animals that consume meat? You can't deny that it is a natural state for them, as the biomechanical indications (sharp teeth, etc.) are certainly there.
    I don't apply morality to eating behavior. It was said here in another thread that Nature is amoral, which is an accurate observation. A snake is biologically designed to swallow a mouse whole. A vulture is biologically designed to scavenge rotting corpses. Humans are biologically designed to pluck fruits and nuts from trees, and to dig roots and tubers from the ground. There is no morality involved.

Quote grail
    I'm currently a vegetarian because I believe that conventional animal farming is unethical, wasteful, and unhealthy.
    I am vegan because animals are not food.

Quote grail
    While I agree that the unneccessary, inhumane slaughter of animals is wrong, I'm curious what you vegan cat or dog owners do when your pet eats meat or wants to kill a bird outside.
    We have some very long threads about this here and here.
    Last edited by flutterby; Nov 30th, 2005 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Thread closed as links to existing threads posted.