Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Cornwall

ph63228

Default Re: Cornwall

its quite easy since my mum buys everything (my whole familys vegan) but their are a few shops in Penzance that sell loads a vegan stuff.

That sounds really good. I wish my family was vegan!

ph63228

its not as good as it sounds, i havent had much experiance catering for myself so ill be a bit stuck when i leave home!!

It's got to bet better than sharing a kitchen with meat eaters who insist on cooking at the most bizarre times in the evening.

How long have your parents been vegan?

ph63228

17 years, they went Vegan when i was born, since then we have progressed from strength to strength proving all are friends wrong about vegan kids not been healthy!!

Wow. It's very rare (and inspiring) to hear of someone who has been Vegan from birth. It makes me feel a lot more confident about having kids. Any naysayers will not be welcome in my house.

We're coming down to Cornwall at Easter as usual to visit friends in Boscastle. They own the witchcraft museum and we visit every year. If anyone ever goes there there are two big pictures of me and my other half by the exit. We are the handfasting couple!
    Silent but deadly :p

ph63228

cool, i'll have to check that out!! and keeping your kids vegan from birth is the way to go!! keeps them free from all those nastytoxins!

Quote Hemlock
    We're coming down to Cornwall at Easter as usual to visit friends in Boscastle. They own the witchcraft museum and we visit every year. If anyone ever goes there there are two big pictures of me and my other half by the exit. We are the handfasting couple!
    I keep meaning to go there. Maybe this year.

Default Cornish Vegans ? (Treyarnon Bay Area) Help Please

Hi I am looking for advice from either cornish vegans or people who have been in this part of Cornwall before "Treyarnon Bay" this is on the North West Coast, I have been to many parts but not up this area for some time now, I was wondering if anyone can guide me towards some good places to go for food and the like which is cool for vegans.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Default Re: Cornish Vegans ? (Treyarnon Bay Area) Help Please

Me too please, I'm off to Boscastle to visit my friends at the witchcraft museum for a week on Thursday! Was planning to take my own food but it would be nice to eat out too!

John and I were pleasantly surprised with Boscastle, we managed to eat out every night and something different too! Nearly every pub did vegan food or were happy to adapt something to suit. Apparently quite a few tourists ask for vegan food so something is always laid on so we didn't starve.
    The only disapointment was the pasty shop in Tintagel. Before I was vegan I used to love their vegetarian pasties and they are famous for their pasties in general.
    I was initially thrilled to find they did a specifically vegan pasty and was really looking forward to eating it but when I did it tasted very bland, basically just a packet of frozen veg defrosted and bunged into a pastry shell, no seasoning or herbs and the veg were boring and tasteless
    But apart from that it was a big thumbs up for Cornwall - we ate loads

ph63228

Default cornish vegans

any vegans down in Cornwall? i live near Penzace n' just interested to see if theirs any more, i know a few but their dont seem to be too many of us down heer

ph63228

just thought i'd update the Archie Brown's place, its still their but i've had a number of bad experiances their; i have really bad food poisening their, they dont wash their salads properly, found hair and slugs/snails in my food more than once, and its not just me! when i got food poisening everybody else in te cafe who ate their did as well! sounds a bit like a rant but it really put me off
    Last edited by Korn; Feb 7th, 2007 at 10:08 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (outside London)

Hello all, I'm going to Falmouth, Cornwall this weekend. Anybody know of any vegan friendly places to eat?
    Thanks xxDig:

Oh there is a place in falmouth that i have eaten at a few times but i cant remember what its called anyways its on the main street and is painted purple.

Anyone know of anywhere nice to eat in Combe Martin Devon? or around that area, i know its not cornwall but close enough.

Quote puffin View Post
    Oh there is a place in falmouth that i have eaten at a few times but i cant remember what its called anyways its on the main street and is painted purple.
    Thanks Puffin, is it Cafe Cinnamon Girl? I've done a bit more research & this seems to be the only vegan/veggie place, but I think there are a couple of friendlies too.
    xDig

I dont think so . It is near toymasters and the back of the cafe faces out to sea, just on the corner. It is very purple so you wont miss it

Default Newquay?

Hi,
    Anyone know of any vegan restaurants / take aways / shops in Newquay, Cornwall. Went last year and struggled to find anything, so I thought a bit of research may be a good idea this time!
    Thanks...
    Last edited by flutterby; Jun 20th, 2007 at 08:03 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Default Re: Newquay?

I'm not sure about Newquay as we don't tend to go there as it's just too noisy for us.
    But if you're in Truro there's The Feast in Kenwyn Street. It's not the most exciting veggie restaurant but it does have vegan choices. In Penzance there's Archie Browns in Bread Street. Archie Browns is well worth a visit as the food is great, the atmosphere is lovely and the shop downstairs is choc full of goodies. In Falmouth there's Cinnamon Girl which does a great soya cappucino. If you're down St Ives way (or Bude, Tintagel or Camelford) grab a pasty from Pengenna Pasties as they are 100% vegan and are big enough to be a meal in themselves.

Well, we have just booked a 5 day holiday at making-waves.co.uk Guest house in St Ives for the end of August......... oooh I can't wait!

The Feast in Truro, Cornwall is now under new ownership as Luc has retired, after many years of cooking, due to his arthritis. It will be closed from 5th - 12th November for refurbishment and will reopen under the name of Lettuce And Lovage.

The new menu is looking more vegan friendly than The Feast was and the food is really nice. We were in there today and had Autoum Pie (like shepherds pie but will chick peas, peas, sweetcorn ... as the filling) and side salads. Very yummy. I can't wait to check it out when it reopens.

Good sperm

Ooooh...we'll have to come down and eat loads of food er...help you review the new menu!

Thumbs up Re: Cornwall

For those of you who find themselves in Falmouth and are looking for pasties -
    The Cornish Miner, Customs House Quay, Quay Street, Falmouth does three types of pastie labeled as vegan: Popeye, Hot veg, and Mixed veg.

enjoy.

sounds lovely, haven't been to Cornwall for a long time, i miss it.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Post Re: Cornwall

Woohoo! Truro's veggie scene is growing.

Archie Browns are due to open their new premises in Truro around July 21st. It's located at 105 Kenwyn Street, (01872 274343), opposite the vegetarian restaurant Lettuce And Lovage. It'll have a café, shop and deli.

Here's their promotional blurb flyer in PDF format.

I can't wait.

WildWitch

I love Cornwall, i call it my second home. Iv never had a problem eating out in Cornwall. There is a wonderful place in Fowey down one of the side streets with a balcony overlooking the harbour, they had no problem veganing up a lunch for me. Iv also eaten at the lettuce and lovage which i would highly recommend. There is a pasty place in Newquay that do vegan chick pea curry pasties which are delicious. Cant remember the name of it but its near that big jewelry shop on the corner going down towards Towan beach.

I did stay at a hotel called St Merryns in St Ives once, dead cheap it was and they really made so much effort to provide me with vegan food, i would go there again, my only complaint was they serve too much food, huge platefulls of roast veggies, nut roast, vegan sausage breakfasts, bean caseroles, veg curry. Only thing they seemed stuck on was desserts but i didnt mind, wouldnt have been able to manage one after the dinner anyway. I think because i was the only vegan staying they seemed to cook too much so bought out seconds cause they wouldnt use the special stuff they bought in for me again. My daughter being veggie was easily catered for though, desserts too.

Message from vegcurry:

Archie Browns opened today (Thursday 24th July) in Truro. The shop is well stocked (including Booja Booja Ice Cream, which I can't wait to try out tonight.) and the cafe is excellent. I met one of the staff, George, who is vegan and she was really helpful, so if you're there and need advice on what is OK then speak with her.

I had lunch there today: mixed salad and cous cous stuffed roast aubergine - it was stuffed with pine nuts, sun dried tomatoes, figs etc - followed by chocolate fudge cake and a pot of tea. Total = £12.

See my previous post* for links and details of where to find it. *http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=78

Even better, Vegan Society members get a 10% reduction in the shop with their VS card.

Here's photos of the cafe, and lunch.
    cafe
    lunch
    cake

I'll be going back there next week for lunch with Mrs vegcurry and Kerry (the local Vegan Society contact).
    And, I think that Archie Browns are keen to do some stuff for this years World Vegan Day

So ... if you're in Cornwall and find yourself in the Truro area there are now two places to eat right opposite one another, Archie Browns and Lettuce And Lovage.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

It's quite sad that most of the links on this thread from over a year ago are either dead or say that the place is closed.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I LOVE Archie Browns The shop alone has made my life so much easier, I can get everything in there, including toiletries/make up

I haven't had a meal in there yet but I had tea with soya milk and a (massive) piece of vegan chocolate cake, I was in heaven!

Also, I am so going to Falmouth soon, I never knew there were vegan friendly places, I love Falmouth

And I have yet to try Lettuce & Lovage, despite working in Truro, tut tut!

Message from VegCurry :

We found a new place to eat in Falmouth called Pea Souk, a veggie cafe with plenty of options for vegans It's only been open a few months and is quite small. It's open 7 days a week from about 10am. Mrs Vegcurry and I went in there this week and were impressed with the choice of offerings.

Location: 19c, Well Lane, Church Street,, Falmouth. TR11 3EG Cornwall. tel: 01326 317583
    Reviews here: http://www.veggieplaces.co.uk/list_r...?place_id=2398
    Map here: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Fantastic! I'll eat there and stock up on vegan pasties from the other place to eat later

Just got back from a week in Cornwall. Had an excellent day out to Truro! Had a brill vegan lunch in Lettuce and Lovage. Food very tasty and staff very friendly! Then went and stocked up on raw chocolate bars and lots of other vegan goodies for the BBQ at Archie Browns! Had a bit of a wander around and stumbled on another great health food store. Would definitely recommend a visit for any vegans going to Cornwall. In my book, it now competes with St Ives for Veganability!!!!
    www . purplecobwebs . co . uk
    Selling handcrafted cards & gifts to help Viva!

Quote Risker View Post
    It's quite sad that most of the links on this thread from over a year (+ a couple now to be fair) ago are either dead or say that the place is closed.
    This

Am looking to get away for a bit @ the end of May/June - and never been Cornwall way. Still, could be an option! Looks pretty.

Any updates on veganish type things would be much appreciated.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Whereabouts are you going to visit? I can only speak for the mid and west parts of the county as I don't tend to go up east that much.

Currently here's what I'm aware of:
    TRURO: Archie Browns (Shop, Cafe, Delicatessen) is still open. Lettuce And Lovage (Cafe) is currently looking for a new owner. Holland & Barrett around the corner from AB's is getting pretty limited in it's stock, thankfully AB's is well stocked.
    FALMOUTH: Pea Souk is a very small place but is run by a Cordon Vert cook and the choice of vegan food is fairly good. Failing that, the Cornish Miner does a pretty good mixed veg and country veg pasty.
    There's a well stocked health food shop, The Natural Store, that also does hot food.
    PENZANCE: Archie Browns (Cafe and Shop) is a must visit in Penzance.
    St IVES: Pengenna Pasties (opposite the Golden Lion pub near the harbour) offer the biggest vegan pasties I've seen. They can be a little bland at times, so you might want to take some pepper or sauce.

See previous postings for locations.

If anyone else in the county would care to add to this that'd be great.

Mucho's thanks Mr vegcurry!

I have no idea where exactly I would go, haven't had enough time to research it yet. (Where would you recommend? Scenic etc wise).

Ta again, will be a big help if I do end up going there.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

tried the link couldnt get on it :-( im going to newquay next week for hol,would really appreciate it if anyone could tell me of any vegan places to eat.we are taking our own food but would be nice to eat out as well, thanx in advance
    We all love animals. So why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" ~k.d. lang

Genesis - did you have any luck eating out in Newquay? I'm off on hols there in a couple of months and would be interested to know if you found anything

cobweb

Default Re: Vegan Cornwall

www.vegancornwall.wordpress.com/

^ hope this helps, it's the 'Vegan Cornwall' list of places to eat.

Quote KayJay View Post
    Genesis - did you have any luck eating out in Newquay? I'm off on hols there in a couple of months and would be interested to know if you found anything
    didnt really find anywhere, just had the usual choices if we ate out but still had a really good holiday, newquay is a fab place and the weather was so good and the beaches were awsome we will definatly be going again
    We all love animals. So why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" ~k.d. lang

Quote cobweb View Post
    www.vegancornwall.wordpress.com/

^ hope this helps, it's the 'Vegan Cornwall' list of places to eat.
    thanx cobweb, the link is brilliant. so amazed of how many places there are to eat since i couldnt find any when we went but i will next time i go....THANKYOU

Wowee that's brill thanks cobweb happy to see that I'll be able to eat out Thanks also Genesis - am looking forward to my hols fingers crossed for good weather!

With regards to the Pasty Presto listings on the Vegan Cornwall page, I e mailed them and recieved this reply...

Dear Neil,

Sorry, we don’t currently offer a vegan option for pasties. If this changes in the near future, I will let you know.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,
    Sandy Isaranucheep
    T 01225 485993

A couple of places in Cornwall that I don't think have been mentioned Johnny's Cafe Hayle – it's a vegetarian cafe and they have vegan options and even do a vegan cream tea.
    http://www.johnnyscafe.co.uk/

I think the best pasties in Cornwall are from Gear Farm they do 2 vegan options sweet potato or veg, much tastier than any others and they are organic. You can get them from The Natural Store in Helston and Falmouth or directly from the farm – St Martin, Helston, TR12 6DE 01326 221150 you do need to go early or order as they run out quickly.

cobweb

Johnny's Cafe is in the Vegan Cornwall guide - their food is lovely, especially the Chocolate Brownies!. They do close early in the Winter though.

George why don't you contact Vegan Cornwall and let them know, it looks like they could have been given the wrong information. I've left a message on their site as they say Trelowarren near Helston will do Vegan food. The problem is it's an estate and they have commercial shoots so I don't imagine many Vegans will want to go there. I'm sure they want as much feed back as possible.

cobweb

Quote Mymblesdaughter View Post
    George why don't you contact Vegan Cornwall and let them know, it looks like they could have been given the wrong information. I've left a message on their site as they say Trelowarren near Helston will do Vegan food. The problem is it's an estate and they have commercial shoots so I don't imagine many Vegans will want to go there. I'm sure they want as much feed back as possible.
    Really?. That's not good. I thought the guide was brilliant, but it irritated me that with the occasional place they'd listed it and said something like "Warning, this place does NOT cater for Vegans". I found that a bit unnecessary and almost rude (hardly likely to warm eating places to veganism is it?). If they're also printing recommendations for places that *don't* actually serve vegan food, and places that do but also host shooting parties, then it makes me question the rest of it a bit...........(*sigh*).