Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Veganism in India

Default Veganism in India

Veganism is in very primary stage in India, except few cities like Indore,Mumbai,New Delhi,Banglore,Calcutta, no one knows about it. It is very common perception here that people using dairy but no meat and eggs are "real vegetarians".

But slowly it is getting one sense that there is an exploitation of cows by milking them. Lacto Vegetarian people in India can not imgine that they are less than 100%.

There is too much attention is given to Eggs, most Hindus+Jain(lacto veggie community) are very particular about checking egg contents in various stuff. The main reason for not eating Egg is entirely different from the Western world.They just dont eat EGGs. They think, it is killing of unborn birds inside.No one ever thinks about cruelty against birds inside cages.

Apart from these two People are too much fancied by White Sugar,Ghee(a milk product almost like liquid butter),Paneer ( another animal milk product looks and taste almost like tofu( soya product). Veggie people can not imgine their life without these stuffs.

But, growing number of Cardiac patients have turned several people away from ghee, more specifically Young Indians are more diet particular.

But , still , what I feel that they are lacking information.

Almost all lacto vegetarians mostly are Hindus and Jain community people are using other animal products like Leather,Silk,Woolen,Furs,soaps, pearls( pearls are cruel stuffs),cosmetics.

Though there are some people in Jain community who are not using some of accessories. But there are many Jains outside India who are enjoying Vegan life.

One more drawback is that most of the people here away from computer and internet world they are lacking information source.Like we are the only 3 Vegan peoples from India on this forum.

There are some good institutions here in India, which are doing some good work for animal welfare though it is not enough.

Highest awareness has started is in respect of Animal leather and Silk.
    Many lacto-veggies have realised that leather is Gross,so they have started dropping leather. Secondly, Jain women who are used to with Silk fabrics till, now they have started to remove this one from their life.

Manish

In the south, a lot of Indians use tomatoes and coconut milk instead of milk when cooking dinner, don't they? Are there groups of Indians that are vegans by tradition?

And - how many vegetarians (including lacto-vegetarians) are there in India? I've seen various estimates.... Any idea?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

There is no official counting as such. But what I feel that , they are very good % .
    Even meat eaters do prefer veggies many occassions. Many meat eaters do not cook meat at home.

South Indian do eat lot of fermented foods like Idli,dosa,Bada, where Yeast is used.Sounth Indian Idli and Dosa are quite famous through out India.(basic stuff is rice flour and Dal)

Coconut milk is quite common there in South India, they I am scared if they do use other animal milk products like Ghee,Butter,Mawa,Cheese, though they might not be using "animal milk".

but more interestingly, in India there are some of Animal fat free soaps..all from Southern part of India. One brand is Chandrika and another is Mysore Sandal soaps.

I am still looking for Vegans from South India, if they are real Vegan.

Manish Jain.

hi...(i probably should not even reply to this thread since i'm not living in india). i might move next year to dubai and i may visit india as a result of that, so if i go, i'll be calling you to ask you what dishes have animal products in them! i used to love eating burfi (spelling?) but i wasn't sure what was in it, i assumed milk and lots of sugar? actually, i was born in kerala (forgive my ignorance and spelling of the cities!) but was only there for a year as a baby.

Quote ~*Blue*~
    i may visit india as a result of that, so if i go, i'll be calling you to ask you what dishes have animal products in them! i used to love eating burfi (spelling?) but i wasn't sure what was in it, i assumed milk and lots of sugar?
    Burfi does have animal milk product( Mawa ) plus white sugar. When you are in India, you will have to ask for dairy free + white sugar free vegetarian stuffs. Dairy milk products in India-Milk,Paneer(taste like Tofu),Cheese,Mawa,Ghee ( kind of liquid butter),Butter(called here Makkhan)

You are welcome any time in India. You may contact me via my website.

Manish Jain.

tails4wagging

We have a large asian population in the midlands (UK) and I thought all Hindus are veggie am I right?. Are Hare Krishna vegans?

Hare Krishna followers are generally use animal milk and milk products but they need not be lacto Veggie compulsorily, they can be Vegan too. But I wonder , how anti animal milk people could adjust with lacto veggies.

It is right that most Hindus are lacto-veggie. But, in modern times, many of them are eating chicken,eggs,and some of them meat too. Eggs in many forms is used by many Hindus.

Sanctity of many hindus has almost vanished.

Manish

I live in the UK but my boyfriends parents are veggie Hindus from India. I feel lucky when I go to there house as they don’t use gee and therefore most of the food they make is vegan. However they do consume milk, Paneer and on occasions eggs, they also have a leather couch and wear leather shoes. When my boyfriend confronted his mom about the leather couch she said that she believed that the cow had died of natural causes before it was skinned. He made her watch a video about Indian cows on the internet, she was quite upset and said that she would try not to by leather from then on. I don’t know is she has stuck to this though.

Are all veggies by religion in India blind to the suffering of cows?

Yeah, Trendy, most people are blind to animal abuse. Trendy, you can pass on my website to that Hindu family. It has got around 60 posters. They have been made in Hindi. I bet, they would turn Vegan after watching/reading those.

I just visited your site, View. Could we (vegans) be the only ones who love animals?

No, John I did not mean that.

Manish

I didn't mean that you meant anything. After visiting your site I just felt vexed with the people of the world. How could people not care about baby cows and all the other animals? I wasn't accusing you of anything, I was just a little upset. Good website though.

Just to clarify, of course you mean something. I just don't make any sense.

tails4wagging

Just visited you site, Manish and I've added to my favourites so I can take some of your recipes!!. I love Indian food, but not very good at making it myself!.

It is ok. You may send private message or chat or email me for any clarification about Indian recipe.

Manish

tails4wagging

Recipe for Indian Korma please?. I do miss that, when I used to be veggie, I had that from 'Take aways'.

Vegan Korma here--
    Ingredients:
    100g Tofu
    400g boiled carrots, beans, potatoes & peas
    100g oil
    10g coriander leaves
    100g soya cream
    5g garam masala
    10g ginger-garlic
    200g coconut milk/soya milk
    2 onions
    5g chili powder
    Salt to taste
    3 tomatoes
    3g turmeric
    Vegetable Korma

Method:
    Heat oil in a wide pan, cut Tofu pieces and keep aside. Fry the onions and ginger-garlic paste until golden color.
    Now add turmeric, chopped tomatoes, chili powder, cilantro, garam masala, salt and fry for 5 minutes.
    Then add chopped potatoes, carrots, beans, peas, Tofu pieces, milk, cream and cook for 5-6 minutes or until done.

Serve hot with naans or plain rice.

tails4wagging

Thanks, I will try it tonight.

tails4wagging

thanks,let-me view. Tried the korma, lovely.

Mozbee

Smile Re: Veganism in India

Manish

I live in a city in the North East of England where there has been a Buddhist community for a number of years. From the insight I have, due to family members and friends who are members of two separate Bubbhist groups, I've got the impression,there are no vegan Buddhists in my area. Is this the case in India, Manish?

Default Re: Veganism in India

Mozbee, in India, there is no recognition regarding in Veganism as such except few organisation like PETA,BWC(Beauty without cruelty),Other Animal Welfare Society are working on similar track.People are not aware of Veganism. People are ignorant about it.I have been trying to publicise it.Atleast, in my city, within few years, ppl would become aware about Veganism.
    But, there are many lacto-vegetarians ppl and society.

There is very nice and big enough Jain Society.Jain people generally are not Vegan though but they are more compassionate than other Hindu.Jain still use dairy products but many of them do not use Leather.They live very special life and special diet too.

Animal Milk has been considered as very pious thing till now.But, now ppl are coming to know about Animal abuse in using milk and milk products.It was time when Soya milk was not available here, but now it is seen in the stores.

Manish Jain

Fast foods are sweeping across India - McD has many outlets, and there's Subway, Pizza Hut, and KFC doing good business. There's a company called MTF (Mavalli Tiffin Room) that has become a giant distributor of instant products.

I guess Indian women have had enough of mortars and pestles, and other time-consuming methods. MTR sells its products in vacuum-sealed pouches. Whilst there's a move in some countries to turn away from fast foods, these fast-food companies are looking at a billion+ inhabitants, a quarter of whom are middle class - a veritable goldmine.

But in Delhi there's a 20-seater organic slow food cafe, called Navdanya, opened last year by Vandana Shiva and Maya Jani. Anything connected with Vandana Shiva must be good, so let's hope the slow food idea will oust the fast foods!
    Eve

Quote John
    I just visited your site, View. Could we (vegans) be the only ones who love animals?

How could one love animals on the one hand and kill them on otherside.

I do not think so.

Manish

Quote Mozbee
    Manish

I live in a city in the North East of England where there has been a Buddhist community for a number of years. From the insight I have, due to family members and friends who are members of two separate Bubbhist groups, I've got the impression,there are no vegan Buddhists in my area. Is this the case in India, Manish?
    There are very few Vegans in India.It is gaining popularity slowly. Vegetarianism is common here.

Manish

Quote let_me_view

I am still looking for Vegans from South India, if they are real Vegan.
    Well.. guess what? An udupi Bhramin who is a Vegan.. Thats me..

Quote Korn
    In the south, a lot of Indians use tomatoes and coconut milk instead of milk when cooking dinner, don't they? Are there groups of Indians that are vegans by tradition?

And - how many vegetarians (including lacto-vegetarians) are there in India? I've seen various estimates.... Any idea?
    Hey Korn, how do you know all such intricate stuff about Indian cooking aye? You also fancy masala dosa. Are you Indian by any chance?

Recently, whole India is also in to Bird flu. People have stopped eating birds and eggs. Sales are drastically down. In my city also...people stopped eating dead birds..instead they are enjoying plant based foods only. Cheers birds !

Soon people will realise danger of Dairy products too. Sooner the later.

Manish Jain

Geoff

Quote Kiran
    Hey Korn, how do you know all such intricate stuff about Indian cooking aye? You also fancy masala dosa. Are you Indian by any chance?
    Korn (AKA 'Dances With Vegans') is an Indian from the Osloga tribe. They live in teepee shaped igloos.

I've only been there a few times (South/North + Himalayas and Nepal), Kiran... and after having tasted masala dosa, how can one NOT want more of it?

But I'm not Indian, and if you see the view from my window right now, you would VERY soon understand that I'm not visiting India now either.

Here's the view from my window this morning:

...which makes be realize that going to India again would be a good idea, especially in the snowy season here. I've got an email from Pushkar yesterday (where meat isn't even available in the stores or at restaurants, it is not considered food there) - in many ways I feel more at home in India than here...

You are most welcome, Mr. Korn, you can stay with me as long as you wish. I bet you will love Indian hospitality. I would be glad to be with you.

Manish

Blueshark

Manish - I am interested to know the origins of veganism in India.

I would think the farming there is much more traditional than in the West.

Is it a backlash against the hypocrital treatment of cows or is it (as I suspect) a lot deeper than that?

There is no existence of Veganism as such in India. Worshipping of Cow is really hypocrisy. People worship or keep them as pet only for the sake of Milk only.Now a days they are treating them as commodity. People tie them with ropes,chains.Cows have to live like it.

There are societies which provide shelter and foods for poor and diseased cows. Such type of cow shelters are more run by Jain societies/groups.

But, in all, I would say that time has changed in India also. Animals are treated very badly in transportation as well as in their shelter too. Still use of machines for milking purpose is not much common.

About 70% of Indian population is in rural areas and these people are not rich enough to buy machines for milking.

But main question always comes in to my mind, why these people are running dairy business. If there is business, people will adopt all means for earning of profit.

Why these people do not take care other animals like cows?? ofcourse, because they earn out of it. They sell weak/diseased cows.

Indian economy earns hudge foreign currency out of export of beef and leather. So, you can imagine.

Manish Jain

I do not know but may be more thousands years back, there must have been Saints who were totally Vegan. As, if you know, Jainism which is based on Ahimsa, is most close to Veganism. It has been mentioned in Jain religion that, dairy products can be avoided. There is one word " vigahi " which sounds very much similar to Veganism. Vighai includes Oil,Dairy products. But all most all Jain followers are using dairy products.There is huge importance of compassionate life in Jain religion. Jain people usually can not kill intentionally even an Ant/Mosquitto. But, there are many Jain followers in India who takes care about micro organisms in roots vegetables. So there are quite a number of Jain people in India who avoids roots vegetables for the sake of micro organisms. I too do not use any root vegetables.

You can read about compassionate life as conceived by Jain religion.

http://www.indianvegan.com/ahimsa.htm
    http://www.indianvegan.com/ahimsa1.htm
    http://www.indianvegan.com/Jain.htm
    http://www.indianvegan.com/Jeevdaya.htm

You may read these links one by one to know more.

Manish Jain

wacken2003vegan

Hello all,

I am ariveing in india in new dehli on the 2nd of march for the next 3 months to travel all around the country and i was just wondering, a few things, with packaged items that are sold in shops are there ingredients listed in english on them at all? (as hear in england many food stuffs have there ingerdients listed in a few languages). and are there brands of sun lotion which do not have animal additives in them? as i burn very easily, allso i metioned this in the health forum but i have had no reply, are there any vegan sutibal anti malerial tablets? as the ones i have been perscribed have a very tiny amount of gelitain in the tablet i have to take once a week but hear there are no alternatives, allso where would be a the most vegan friendly place to visit in india? any idea?

Many Thanks
    allso i must thank you let_me_view as your website is very informative, many thanks

Thumbs up Re: Veganism in India

You are welcome. I hope, you must have gone through various threads on this vegan forum relating to India. You will come to know lot of information.

There are various tablets to save yourself from Malaria. One of such tablet is EMQUIN ( I just called my doctor brother on telephone). You can take one tablet per week. All capsules available at medical stores are of Gelatine.Try to buy Tablets format of any medicine.

Further, mostly you will be able to read ingredients in english on most of the products.

For Soya Milk you can find, Godrej's Sofit. You can get Dabur's Coconut milk branded as "Hommade". Vegan bath Soaps are "Chandrika" and "Mysore Sandal" . Vegan toothpaste brands are , Vicco, Promise,Anchor.

Do not forget to enjoy, "South Indian" meal/snacks like Idli,Dosa,Uttapam, Upma,Vada sambhar,and many more almost all are Vegan. You will find in every restaurant . When you go for North Indian menu, you have to be careful about Dairy products like Pure Ghee, Paneer,Milk,Curd, Khowa or Mawa. You can place order like dairy free and White Sugar free.

Almost all sweet deserts are made up of dairy products and white sugar. There is no bone chare free sugar in India. Though, you can find Jaggery( in some area it is called as Gur or Gud). In metros, you can find dairy free, sugar free sweet stuffs. Mostly you will have to rely on fruits. Don't miss fresh Sugar cane juice, just find out a clean cart owner.

You must have read about Sadhana Forest,in Auroville closed to Pondicherry( 3 hrs journey from Chennai) in the State of Tamilnadu. On this forum you can search about Auroville. It is ecofriendly,vegan and very cheap. You can stay there as Volunteer.

In India, there is custom to put green dot on vegetarian stuffs.

Always use branded Mineral drinking water. Use it as much as possible, as it would be Summer months. Tought to bear heat waves and humidity.

I hope it will solves your queries than more. Wish you good time in India.

Manish Jain

wacken2003vegan

Thank you for your reply all very helpfull information, i cant get those anti malerial tablets in the uk i will have to change when i get to india. and that Auroville place looks interesting, can you just turn up?

Many Thanks, Andrew Garrison

Quote let_me_view
    You are most welcome, Mr. Korn, you can stay with me as long as you wish. I bet you will love Indian hospitality. I would be glad to be with you.

Manish
    Don't be surprised if I knock your door one day, Mr. Manish - thanks a lot!

Quote wacken2003vegan
    can you just turn up?

Andrew Garrison
    What do you mean? sorry

Manish Jain

I have family from East India on my fathers side. I know I should learn more about the culture. We cook a lot with coconut milk. Also we stir fry a lot. My great grand father use to make something called. Baigun Bhaja which is fried eggplant. Yum! He did not speak any english. I never knew what he was trying to say to me.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Maya, it is called Baigan Bhurta. Baigan bhurta or baigan bhaji is cooked one. did he talk to you in Hindi or Bengali ( regional language of East).
    Baigan bhajia are deep fried.

How do you look like mixed or Indian or White ?

Manish Jain

Bengali. I posted my picture on the The Real People's "Sexiest Vegan" Poll thread page 48 or 49 I cant remember.

Quote let_me_view
    Maya, it is called Baigan Bhurta. Baigan bhurta or baigan bhaji is cooked one. did he talk to you in Hindi or Bengali ( regional language of East).
    Baigan bhajia are deep fried.

How do you look like mixed or Indian or White ?

Manish Jain
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Oh yes, I finds it at 49. Thanks. You are awesome. You appears to be as mixed one. Black hair, back eyes.

Blueshark

There is an interesting article about Veganism in India in the latest issue of the UK Vegan Soc magazine.

Mentions how Gandhi supported the values of the Vegetarian movement when he studied in England.

Blueshark, I have not subscribed it, can you summarise it??

I would be obliged if you can scan that article and mail me.

Manish Jain

I too am from Udupi, a brahmin by birth, and a vegan from south India. Though I am living in Goa and Kiran in UK, we have common roots!

Best wishes,
    Shankar Narayan.

friendly fri

Further to Blueshark,s entry above. Gandhi was fundamental to the UK vegetarian movement from 1888 to 1891. He was friends with Henry Salt and many other prominent vegetarians.As for veganism in India, i feel that its very easy to live vegan in india, even to find vegan food. Its just that there are many folk who simply don,t see it as too big a deal. Thus, vegan food will be seen by the vendors as just vegetarian.India is great.

Wow!! Shannade!! Glad to meet another Bhramin priest from Udupi. I hope you are strict to your priestly duties. I still follow my rituals after coming to the UK. I try to do my best. I still have my holy thread on me, unlike many Bhramin priests who are already here.

I would love to visit Krishna Mutt when I come to India in summer. Looking forward to it.

Quote shannade
    I too am from Udupi, a brahmin by birth, and a vegan from south India. Though I am living in Goa and Kiran in UK, we have common roots!
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Dear All,

We have organised a "Exhibition on Vegan life" at Indore one who is
    interested, can share joy of spreading Compassionate life style by
    attending it -

Date:- 11th April,2006.

Timing:- 10 am to 3pm

Venue: Gandhi Hall ( within walking distance from Indore Rly Station)
    M.G.Road,
    Indore.
    E-mail : manish@indianvegan.com

Program : Display of colorful posters in Hindi and English,
    Distribution of leaflets,exhibition of movies. followed by
    Vegan lunch

Expected gathering: Min.1000 Maximum 4000-7000

Occassion: Celeberation of Mahaveer Jayanti

Regards.

Manish Jain.

Hi Manish,

Looks like an exciting event. Hope you manage to convert many omnis into veggies and veggies into vegans. A vegan fayre in India seems very new and an outstanding attempt to educate people. I am quite sure that many Indians can make the transition from vegetarianism to veganism quite easily as long as they have the required learning resources. I think the fayre will be an effective point to learn about ethical living.

Does this have any media coverage, and is this an annual thing?

All the best and let us know how it goes. Any photos and excerpts from interviews will be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Kiran
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

friendly fri

I agree with Kiran.Indeed many Indians are already eating vegan most or all of the time, of that i am certain.Many people just simply don,t see it as such a big deal. India seems to me to be a land where the distinction between vegetarian and vegan often blurs, much more so than in the western world. Heres wishing you well for the exhibition.And if a little man hailing from Dharamsala arrives, touting a vegan holiday where the hosts eat meat..tell him to clear off please. Somehow i doubt you,ll hear of him.