Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Veganism in India

Default Re: Veganism in India

Quote friend
    I agree with Kiran.Indeed many Indians are already eating vegan most or all of the time, of that i am certain.Many people just simply don,t see it as such a big deal. India seems to me to be a land where the distinction between vegetarian and vegan often blurs, much more so than in the western world. Heres wishing you well for the exhibition.And if a little man hailing from Dharamsala arrives, touting a vegan holiday where the hosts eat meat..tell him to clear off please. Somehow i doubt you,ll hear of him.
    I do not agree to this fact.

Apart from meat eaters, Vegetarians people here followings :-

Wine/beer
    Eggs ( in cakes,Pastries and Omlettes)
    Dairy products. Even a poor person uses milk in Chai. No one drink chai without Milk
    Ice cream
    White Sugar ( No one can dream without it )
    Leather products, belt, shoes
    Woolen
    Silk
    Toothpaste
    Soaps
    Shampoos
    Gelatine thru capsules of medicines.

etc etc.

Manish Jain

friendly fri

I was talking of dietary matters, not leather belts, with all due respect to you.

Quote friend
    I was talking of dietary matters, not leather belts, with all due respect to you.
    Yeah, it is ok. But there are millions of people here who does not eat meat but they do eat chicken,fish,eggs.

Like in West Bengal Vegetarian people eat Fish just as good as they eat Vegetables.

Manish Jain

friendly fri

My point is quite simply that there are very many vegetarians who don,t eat eggs..indeed it,s common wisdom in England for India,s vegetarians to be seen as folk who never eat eggs, and of course they don,t eat fish or meat. Very recently i had the pleasure of meeting a Gujarati colleague..no eggs, meat or fish..ever..just like the Mahatma, the father of 20th century ahimsa.

I understand your point. I am glad that in India Meat/Beef is not commonly available everwhere.

I would say, you are lucky to find such person. And he must be a Jain !

I would say Jain community is generally close to Vegan life except they enjoy dairy products.

I would say, Jain community is most compassionate community in India.

But unfortunately, Indian Bakery products are very doubtful.

Vegetarians people do not bother about Eggs in Cakes/Pastries/Baked Samosa.

Manish Jain

Quote friend
    I agree with Kiran.
    I din't say many people in India are vegans. They are predominatly vegetarians, but leather, wool, eggs, milk and fish are quite common in diets. This varies from place to place. Though the fact remains that changing from vegetarianism to veganism in India is easy.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Yes I too agree that it is easy to change...only problem of availability of Soya Milk.

Do not you believe, Kiran, that people here in India specially North and West are addicted to Animal milk and its derivatives like Ghee, Paneer, Curd, Mawa(khowa) than else? Like in west people are addicted to Cheesse, here people are addicted to Paneer. In Veg restaurnats menu/stuffs are full of Paneer.

In South India, dairy products are not common, I believe. May be cause they are close with Shri Lanka where dairy products are rare things.

Manish Jain

I agree with you Manish. This is what I am saying. In Europe, it would be hard to convince people to quit meat and going vegan due to the widely meat based diet. In India, even carnivores have a substantial amount of veggie diet. I know in south India, many carnivores dedicate only week-ends for eating meat and the rest of the days veggie diets.

Convincing people to quit milk in India is an ardous task. My mom thinks I am crazy, but she is trying to understand my principles. As you said Ghee, panner, butter etc are used in daily cooking.

The vegan information fair that you are organising Manish, is the type of events we need in India. But they are quite rare. But I am positive that the situation will change at a good pace.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Quote Kiran
    The vegan information fair that you are organising Manish, is the type of events we need in India. But they are quite rare. But I am positive that the situation will change at a good pace.

My first intention is to make them aware that they are not 100% Vegetarian.
    100% vegetarian is something different. And the whole Jain community is fully dipped in dairy products, silk, woolen, leather shoes( leather garments are rare in India), Leather upholstery. I get mad so, cause this the community which highly advocates Ahimsa. But their practice differs or it is limited with micro organism or ants or mosquitoes.

Manish Jain

friendly fri

Kiran i never said that you did say many were vegans.I meant to convey my view that many people will actually be living a vegan life without feeling it,s a big deal. The last thing i wanted to do was pretend my views were yours.This entire idea of insisting on ideological purity can come profoundly unstuck. Witness the vegan from UK who when in mcleod ganj, India, annoyed her friend so much that she left her alone..the problem? The person had embarrassed all and sundry with her insistence on taking a metaphorical microscope to each ingredient of all dishes..people get sick of it.She then insisted, for incomprehensible reasons, that it,s fine and dandy for a carnivore duo to host a vegan holiday and meat every day.Can anyone see the logic in that? I can,t. Nor in the conduct of certain others who,ve been keen to hide from vegans in general ,what actually happened on that shameful Himalayan farce.

friendly fri

To Let me View...no she..my dear colleague..isn,t Jain..but is fairly familiar with Jain ideas.Like Gandhi, she hails from Gujarat where Hindu ideas are mixed with Jain ideas.Is anyone seriously out to tell me that with all the vegetarians in India, that many shall not be vegan? There shall be many more vegans than some folk realise.Avery well respected vegan author told me years ago that in Asia, many are vegan yet don,t insist on putting it up in lights all over the show. Ahimsa allied to a life and death battle against poverty mean there,s no place for fancy statements.

Find out Indian Vegan products here--

http://www.bwcindia.org/Vegetarian%2..._brandname.asp

Manish Jain

After reading various posts on this group site, I am writing to clarify a
    few things and give some of my opinions.

On an average an Indian non vegetarian is responsible for the deaths of
    more than 70 lives a year. Count one chicken a week (= 52 / year) + a couple
    of goats (2 * 3) + a calf or 2 from the milk (2) + fish (thatąs more than
    70!). I believe that one of the best ways of saving the maximum lives is
    turning people vegetarian or vegan. My goal is one person a week on the
    average and I believe I am meeting that, or almost meeting that. Each such
    person will have a snowball effect * because their parents, friends,
    children will change slowly too. But in order to do this one has to be a
    healthy vegan; one that can be sure never to fall sick.

Lets face it, most people are not interested in animals or even saving the
    planet. They are only interested in saving themselves and their children. So
    the best way to urge them is to show them how they can cure their diabetes,
    high blood pressure, heart disease, back aches, cancer and other ills is
    through veganism without the use of medicines. I am holding talks on this
    regularly and also cooking workshops. But all this information can be got
    through various books too. I urge everyone to read ŚThe China Studyą * T
    Colin Campbell, ŚBe Your Own Doctorą - Anne Wigmore, ŚReversing Heart
    Diseaseą * Dean Ornish, and ŚFit for Lifeą * Harvey and Marilyn Diamond. A
    good website is also www.notmilk.com which gives a lot of information on the
    bad effects of milk. First apply the principles to yourself and then help
    others to change.

Human beings are essentially vegan due to our primate descent and our
    anatomy. Therefore by eating a correct vegan diet one should never be
    lacking in anything. Do cows or other vegan animals lack calcium or have
    weak enamel through their vegan diets? Monkeys, the closest species to
    ourselves also do not have B12 deficiencies. Their anatomy is very close to
    our own. So it is better to ask what are we doing wrong to have any
    shortages or problems. In truth a correct vegan diet without the use of
    refined products is healthiest for a human being because our anatomy is made
    for that. In fact eating what you are not meant to eat is like the cows
    being fed slaughter house by products and getting mad cow disease or the
    rescued broiler chicken dying of heart attacks after being fed large
    quantities of fish and (believe it or not) chicken meal.

I have been 95 - 98% vegan since 20 years and 100 % vegan for 3 1Ž2 years and
    have never taken any vitamins, or calcium tablets in this period except a
    for a week, 10 years ago when I took vitamin B12. I do not have a single
    dental cavity and no other signs of calcium or B12 deficit. B12 is abundant
    in meat and milk not because of these food per se but because of the high
    levels of bacteria in these foods. If you do not use antibiotics or foods
    laced with high doses of pesticides the bacteria in your intestines will
    produce all the B12 you need. If you still feel insecure or have a B12
    deficiency, add a bacteria rich foods to your diet * eg idlis, dhosas,
    sauerkraut, peanut curds, foods containing yeasts and a variety of other
    foods. Make rejeuvelac (described in Anne Wigmoreąs book). Health should be
    through foods and not through medicines (which are often tested on animals).

Recently I helped a 22 year old type 1 diabetic boy who was taking insulin
    injections 3 times a day to stop all the insulin and control the diabetes
    purely through a correct vegan diet. Now, 2 months on, after observing the
    effects on him, 5 people in his social circle turned vegan. The boy himself
    says he has never felt better.

Dr. Nandita Shah ( Homeopath), Vegan from Mumbai/Aurovilel,Pondicherry.
    nandita_shah@vsnl.com

Manish Jain

friendly fri

How do you plan to prevent death for humans then? How will vegan food halt the ageing process?

It is statement of a homeopath doctor, you can cross her on email.

I just posted what she thinks and what she experienced in her life. As she is not member here, she posted it somwhere else, so I took her permission to post it here.

A person is free to express his personal experiences.

She is usually invited by many European countries for delivering her lectures on Homeopathy round the year.

As she cures,she knows about the changes in patients.

Personally I do not trust Homeopathy, though there is no Animal testing in that. I guess.

Manish Jain
    http://www.indianvegan.com

Although cow is worshiped all over India, it is the most abused animal in the country. In the dairies, cows are confined in dark, dingy stables and have to sleep over their own urine and excrement. They hardly ever have any chance to go out and roam. Also their calves are taken away from them, against their will, so that their milk is available for sale. This is surely very cruel. The bullocks are used in the field to pull overloaded carts and often hit to get more work out of them. Often, you see cows in cities tied to a pole and people feeding grass to them, thinking they are doing a religious act. However, they should think whether the cows actually would like to be confined there or would they much rather be allowed to roam free in the fields. ---- Surendra Shah 70 years old vegan from Mumbai.

He has been vegan for last 20 years or so.

Manish Jain.

And would you believe that the carcasses of these calves are collected by Kora Kendra, an affiliate of the Khadi Board, under contract to the Municipal Corporation, and their skins are used by the Khadi Board to make “Ahimsa” footwear and leather goods? When I questioned the head of the Khadi Store here, he had the cheek to say that the animals died a natural death since they were not slaughtered!! Mahatma Gandhi must be wondering how an institution founded by him can do such a thing. ---Surendra Shah,Mumbai

Manish Jain

NOw it is Kelloggs's turn ? Beaware !!

www.kelloggnutrition.com

USA, March 9, 2006: Pardip Kumar of Malaysia sent us (HPI)the following material which comes from the Kellog's website at "source." The information reveals that several of the popular snack products that appear to be vegetarian are actually not.

Gelatin is used to help the texture of the product and is derived from either beef or pork. Kellogg's(R) Frosted Mini-Wheats(R) and Kellogg's(R) Rice Krispies Treats(R) cereals contain type B gelatin, which is derived from beef.

Whenever marshmallow ingredients are present in a Kellogg's(R)cereal brand, the marshmallow contains type A gelatin, which is derived from pork. Kellogg's(R) Krave(TM) Snack Bars also contain type A gelatin derived from pork sources.

Type B gelatin is derived from beef sources and is found in the frosting of all varieties of Kellogg's(R) Frosted Pop-Tarts(R), Kellogg's(R) Frosted Pop-Tarts(R) Snak-Stix(TM), all varieties of Kellogg's(R) Pop-Tarts(R)Pastry Swirls, and Kellogg's(R) Nutri-Grain(R) Minis with Yogurt Icing.

Plain (unfrosted) Kellogg's(R) Pop-Tarts(R) do not contain gelatin. None of the equipment that comes in contact with the gelatin in Kellogg's(R)Frosted Pop-Tarts(R) is used in the production of the other pastries.

Kellogg's(R) Rice Krispies Treats(R) Squares contain type A gelatin in the marshmallow, which is derived from pork sources.

Manish Jain

Quote friend
    How do you plan to prevent death for humans then? How will vegan food halt the ageing process?
    Hi, I just moved your other post about cancer and diet (and the response to it) over to the 'Cancer and animal products' thread...

friendly fri

Wink Re: Veganism in India

And yet the false statements above re cures for cancer.,stay put i assume.Hmmm...i wonder why that is ?Thanks for telling me anyway

If you want to discuss animal products and cancer, please do it in the thread about that topic instead of just repeating that you insist that you think what others say is 'false statements'. Statements don't become any more right by repeating them, but they don't become more false by repeating that you think they are false either.

friendly fri

Maybe so, Korn. You know as well as i do, though, that you've moved the post where i criticised the statement above for it's absurd claims, because you don't want such claims challenged.

friendly fri

Exclamation Re: Veganism in India

Actually i apologise for my last statement above Korn, it wasn't done to censor me but to move to a more appropriate forum. Thanks

Default Re: Veganism in India (our gujarat visit )

Hi Manish, all, me and my vegan friend from new zealand are visiting gujarat early july. we are keen to see the capital world state of vegetarianism and to promote veganism... i wouldn't mind if a few switched on people knew this as it could make our stay that little bit more interesting. i am a massive m. k. gandhi fan too.

peace

colin

Quote let_me_view
    Veganism is in very primary stage in India, except few cities like Indore,Mumbai,New Delhi,Banglore,Calcutta, no one knows about it. It is very common perception here that people using dairy but no meat and eggs are "real vegetarians".

But slowly it is getting one sense that there is an exploitation of cows by milking them. Lacto Vegetarian people in India can not imgine that they are less than 100%.

There is too much attention is given to Eggs, most Hindus+Jain(lacto veggie community) are very particular about checking egg contents in various stuff. The main reason for not eating Egg is entirely different from the Western world.They just dont eat EGGs. They think, it is killing of unborn birds inside.No one ever thinks about cruelty against birds inside cages.

Apart from these two People are too much fancied by White Sugar,Ghee(a milk product almost like liquid butter),Paneer ( another animal milk product looks and taste almost like tofu( soya product). Veggie people can not imgine their life without these stuffs.

But, growing number of Cardiac patients have turned several people away from ghee, more specifically Young Indians are more diet particular.

But , still , what I feel that they are lacking information.

Almost all lacto vegetarians mostly are Hindus and Jain community people are using other animal products like Leather,Silk,Woolen,Furs,soaps, pearls( pearls are cruel stuffs),cosmetics.

Though there are some people in Jain community who are not using some of accessories. But there are many Jains outside India who are enjoying Vegan life.

One more drawback is that most of the people here away from computer and internet world they are lacking information source.Like we are the only 3 Vegan peoples from India on this forum.

There are some good institutions here in India, which are doing some good work for animal welfare though it is not enough.

Highest awareness has started is in respect of Animal leather and Silk.
    Many lacto-veggies have realised that leather is Gross,so they have started dropping leather. Secondly, Jain women who are used to with Silk fabrics till, now they have started to remove this one from their life.

Manish

Dear Skyvegan,

Well, if you stay in Gujarat state which is full of lacto-veggies, you must visit
    following places which have very very beautiful jain temples.

Palitana
    Girnar
    Mehsana
    Shankheshwar
    Kachha
    Ahemdabad-Gandhinagar ( Gandhi Aashram is there)
    Gir Forest ( wild life sanctuary)

You will find fully vegetarian mc donald in Ahemdabad city.!!!

There you will find good accomodation at Jain Dharamshala and Jain Bhojanshala ( dining hall). Only u have to take care of dairy free products, you can ask for that, they will glad to serve you. For your knowledge, Ghee( Clarified butter) is used very minimum there.

Do not eat Sweet stuff, usually all contains dairy products and white sugar.

How many people are you visiting ? How are you planning to promote veganism in your tour ? What kind of information and help you need?

Wish you a very happy journey.

Manish Jain

Quote let_me_view
    Do not eat Sweet stuff, usually all contains dairy products and white sugar.

Manish Jain

Hi Manish

Do you know of a vegan way to make Gulab Jamun?

I used to love this sweet treat, before I was vegan.

Quote Roxy

Hi Manish

Do you know of a vegan way to make Gulab Jamun?

I used to love this sweet treat, before I was vegan.

Vegan Gulab Jamun ( Gulab = Roseflower, Jamun is a local fruit here)

mmmmmmmm..I once tried it.

It tastes good if it is served warm/hot.

List of Ingredients

Balls:

* 1 cup White Flour/Rice Flour/Wheat Flour ( Better mixture of all )
    * ¼ cup Soft Tofu
    * 1tsp Margarine
    * 1 tsp icing sugar
    * Enough water to mix into a dough like consistency

Glaze:

* 3 cups Vegan sugar
    * 1 cup water
    * Cardamom and rosewater/saffron for garnish (to taste)

1. Roll dough into small balls, deep fry in Oil under medium heat until golden brown, drain on paper towel.

2. Heat water and sugar until all of the sugar is dissolved. Break up cardamom and add to glaze. Add rosewater to taste

3. Soak gulabjamun balls in syrup, serve warm as desert

Manish Jain

Ohhhhh thank you so much Manish!!

I have never seen Rosewater for sale here. Maybe I'll be able to find it at an Indian grocery store.

You are always welcome,Roxy, beautiful lady of VF. I do remember very well,when I joined this forum, you were the first to whom I sent PM.

Manish Jain

have taken note of those places manish... what is it like to stay at those jain places u mention.

is it possible to stay at gandhi's ashram?

we can't wait to come but the july 1st plane is full and we are on a wait list for a place...

my friend can only come on that day as he is a science teacher and can only come on his two weeks holidays...

he is an environmentalist and animal rights person. i am more a lover of all that lives... sort of a gaiast... vegan is my food choice... not my label... though i am happy to be identified as such as all my favourite people are vegans...

i have a friend jayen who is veganish? he is jain and lives in bharuch.

thanks for your advice.

colin

Quote skyvegan

is it possible to stay at gandhi's ashram?

i have a friend jayen who is veganish? he is jain and lives in bharuch.

thanks for your advice.

colin
    I do not think, Gandhi Aashram has staying facility.

But, you can stay in Jain Dharamshala in Ahemdabad ( a metro city, where Gandhi Aashram is located).

15th July onwards till 31st August is full of rains in Gujarat.

Bharuch has beautiful Jain temples.

Manish Jain

Your friend is Jain ?

Manish Jain

Smile Re: Veganism in India

hi manish. thanks. well that will be pretty cool. we are on a waiting list for a july 1st flight to delhi then to ahemdabad and we will be gone by the 15th...

rain will scare neither of us though,,, in nz it is winter, cold and wet.

i will stay in india a few weeks more. i am keen also to see varanasi again and to visit goa. i would like to get up to manali too if i have time. i love india and the culture.

yes my indian friend in bharuch is jain. my travelling companion and i are non religious, though i find all life to be sacred, though lost and bewildered with top heavy parasitic leadership.... mmmm should't get too heavy... keep it light and friendly eh?

where is bharuch? cannot find it on map...

peace

colin

Bharuch----http://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/gujarat/districts/bharuch.htm

You will get train connection from Ahemdabad.

Manish Jain

Indian cuisine might not be 100% vegan but, fortunately, many classical recipes can be turned vegan simply replacing gee and dairy by vegan alternatives. I've tried this myself and the result was delicious! Shortly before becoming a vegan (but following a vegetarian diet already), I bought Yamuna Devi's "Lord Of Krishna's Cuisine", during a trip to London. After the transition, I refused to think that could take no advantage of such a thorough book just because some ingredients were not vegan. Thus, I decided to just replace the ingredients that were non-vegan and man, are they yummy!

Btw, I love Mysore sandalwood soap! I bought like 10 bars on that trip, because I can't find it where I live. What I recently discovered in an Indian grocery here is coconut oil, which works wonders in my awfully dry hair!
    Om Shanti
    I've got a blog (wait, now I've got another blog)

Yes,exactly, Indian Vegetarian recipe can be easily modified in to Vegan versions.

Coconut oil is very good for skin and hair too.

I too use Mysore Sandal and Chandrika too. You can also find out Vicco tooth paste and turmeric cream for face at Indian grocery stores. Vicco brand is Vegan. They have mentioned this. For shaving I use same bath soap.

Manish Jain

Quote indianvegan
    Bharuch----http://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/gujarat/districts/bharuch.htm

You will get train connection from Ahemdabad.

Manish Jain
    what about varanasi? is it safe to visit there at the moment? some trouble has appeared in the news.

thanks for the map but it seems u have to pay to make sence of it... i think bharuch must have another name as it is not in my own atlas book...peace colin....

Traffic sense of Indians _ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM

Manish Jain

Quote skyvegan
    what about varanasi? is it safe to visit there at the moment? some trouble has appeared in the news.

thanks for the map but it seems u have to pay to make sence of it... i think bharuch must have another name as it is not in my own atlas book...peace colin....

Varanasi is safe.

Manish Jain

Quote indianvegan
    Traffic sense of Indians _ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM

Manish Jain

that is so cool manish. cheers.

we are travelling by train. arrive delhi early july 6. on 7th train to jaipur.
    on 8th train to udaipur. 9th to ahmadabad. 11th bhuruch... is our tentative plan...

peace

colin.... any vegans along the way we would love to meet...

Skyvegan, how many persons will accompany you in the tour ? All are Vegans?

P.S. : Bread generally available in India contains unless it is whole wheat bread. So just check it before buying. But, Toast is milk free.

Manish Jain

Quote indianvegan
    Skyvegan, how many persons will accompany you in the tour ? All are Vegans?

P.S. : Bread generally available in India contains unless it is whole wheat bread. So just check it before buying. But, Toast is milk free.

Manish Jain
    hi... two of us... males. we both like whole grain breads...

peace

colin.

You are invited to attend forthcoming exhibition on Veganism.

Date: 26th and 27th August,2006

Time: 08.00 AM - 6.00 PM

Exhibition on Vegan life

Venue: Ahimsa Bhawan, Near Jain Dadawadi Temple, Near Saras Bag, Pune
    (Contact Mr. Dhiraj Jain, Pune 09890793853 Mr. Manoj Oswal 02066017797)

Co-ordinators:- Dhiraj Jain and Manoj Oswal from Pune, Surendra Shah( 70 years, Vegan fellow from Mumbai), Manish Jain from Indore

Veganism is alive and well in South India. For Vegans looking to be part of an amazing project in South India please take the time to read the following.

iGreetings from Sadhana Forest.

We are curently looking for volunteers/interns to work on this ongoing project. Please be so kind as to forward this information to people within the vegan community who may be able to help with this.

Sadhana Forest is a Permaculture Reforestation project in Southern India practising sustainability within the community.

Our main aim is the reforestation of 70 acres of severely eroded land. We are working to re-create the Tropical Dry Evergreen Forest indigenous to our area. This forest type is found only in Southern India and Sri Lanka and provides a rare biological richness due to its very high species abundance (over 1000 species of trees, shrubbery, and liana). The Tropical Dry Evergreen Forest is now close to total extinction as only 0.01% survives. This is a last minute effort to keep this very rich and beautiful Forest on earth.

Facilties here include a library, small swimming pool, use of bicycles, internet access and the opportunity to participate in occasional workshops (eg. sustainable living). We practice an eco-friendly way of life including veganism, vegan/organic gardening, alternative construction, solar energy, biodegradable toiletries, and compost toilets.

We are looking for Project Co-ordinators. The posts will be voluntary and for 4 months or more. Full board is provided for those staying for a minimum of 4 months.

The posts are as follows:

1. Vegan/organic Gardener - following Fukuoka's principles of minimal intervention - to be responsible for the creation and the maintanance of the vegetable garden, fruit orchard and compost system. Local advice will be available in order to adapt skills and knowledge to suit this tropical environment.
    2. Forest Worker - for the indigenious planting and after-care of the trees, continuing the use of natural fertilizers and pesticides and water and soil conservation. This person will also be required to lead a team of between 5 - 70 International volunteers. They will, therefore, need to be responsible, punctual, gentle and effective.
    3. Ecological Park Co-ordinator - someone who likes working with children and can apply sustainable design in a fun and creative way as this position involves designing an environment which demonstrates sustainable living practices for the young local community to learn from.
    4. Kitchen Manager - A creative and resourceful person to cook healthy, vegan meals for large numbers, source organic local produce and to train volunteers.

Further exciting opportunities exist for those willing to make a longer term commitment upon completion of the initial 4 month period.

For further information about the project contact us:
    aviram@ auroville.org.in
    Please mention "long term position" in the email subject box.
    Contact details:
    Yorit and Aviram Rozin
    Sadhana Forest
    Auroville 605101
    India

Tel: 00-91-413-2677682/3 or 00-91-413-2002655

On leaving us, one of our volunteers wrote, 'May there be many more forests to grow people."

hi my indian pals... a little catch up news first. in 06 we went to gurjarat to see for ourselves the jain teachings and to meet the people. we had a great enlightening time.

in september i will be back for the 11th Vegan Festival and in south india.

now i recieve this amazing post from yorit and aviram and i have to laugh having just turned my back on a vegan shop management opportunity with pretty good pay... mainly because i know shop work is not my thing even though all the customers are the coolest of the cool people.

then your job opportunities come up... and seriously... i am interested if they can be fitted in...

vegan/organic gardener. thats almost me.. i veganicly garden and landscape too... i avoid killing insects with any means. i manage here no problem and my garden is home to millions of hungry insects. there is enough for us all and they are part of the divine plan too...

I am also a vegan chef and have been teaching vegan cooking for the past four years... but this will not be challenging enough for me... but i can help anywhere i am needed... i take it this is a team thing...

keep talking... i will email this on to u for further discussion and will post your post opportunities around nz... keep well...

sky vegan.

I had been to Aviram's Sadhana Forest recently for a brief stay. I liked it very much. Therefore, given this as an option to visit after the IVF for IVF participants.

Shankar.
    ‘Animals are not our slaves, they are our friends and the rightful co-habitants of this planet earth’

Yes, Shanker, I too stayed there as a volunteer in Sadhana Forest in Auroville.

Manish

It's always great to see fellow Indians putting the right foot forward-

im from the UK but i live in goa as much as i can, about ten months a year. i travelled extensively in this beautiful country b4 settling down here in goa to work for an animal rescue charity.

veganism is only acheivable here when i eat at home which means even my movement around the country/my town is limited. there's dairy laced in everything. i have a marvelous ayurvedic doctor but she does promote ghee as life giving and my attempts several years ago ended in vomiting. Can someone tell me how some ayur.docs say milk is one of the 5 white poisons and others claim it to be the nectar of life? it is such a contradiction in the teachings?

my doc did explain why milk is so revered in what she learnt at her ayur.college and that was b'cause it is GIVEN> making it very satvic. Well, i find it hard to belive that even in times gone by it was ever given? it's theft and always has been? i see from my travels that milk and its products and disasterously and deeply ingrained in the culture here.

Welcome, Anula!

The minute cows will sting you like a bee and insert milk into your body without your effort, which probably won't happen this year, milk is 'given'. Until then, it's 'taken'. Producing milk also involved taking the calf away from it's mother, and in most places, taking the cow away from it's natural surroundings.

Can someone tell me how some ayur.docs say milk is one of the 5 white poisons and others claim it to be the nectar of life? it is such a contradiction in the teachings?
    It is a contradiction. Most Western governments (their dept. of health) also encourage people to eat less meat and more fruit and vegetables, but still sponsor the meat industry and govern their countries in ways that means that it's still hard to find plant based meals, even in hospitals (for patients suffering from diseased known to be associated with meat/animal products). Life is full of contradictions, and the non-vegan world additionally have offer quite a few contradictions we don't need at all!