Thread: Lebkuchen

Default Lebkuchen

In Germany we have a very long tradition of baking all sorts of Christmasy biscuits. The best ones are Lebkuchen, a sort of spiced gingerbread - nothing like the dry stuff you buy in supermarkets.
    The dough really should be made 3 weeks ahead so that the flavours can develop, but if you hurry they will still be good.

3 lbs Flour
    1 1b molasses
    1 cupbrown sugar
    5 oz margarine
    2 oz candied orange peel
    1 cup rose water (or 1 cup water)
    1/2 oz Cloves
    1/2 oz Cinnamon
    1 grated lemon rind
    1 cup almonds, blanched and split in halves
    1 1/2 cups candied fruit and raisins
    1. Bring molasses and sugar to a simmer, and cook 5 minutes. (to disolve sugar)
    2. Let cool then stir in everything else, with the flour being last.
    3. Let the dough stand covered, at room temperature for 3 weeks.If you don't have that much time its okay.
    4. Roll out fairly thin, cut into rectangles 1 and a half inches by 3 inches (4 x 8 cm) with a fluted cutting wheel, or just a knife.
    5. Roll out fairly thin, cut into rectangles 1and a half inches by 3 inches (4 x 8 cm) with a fluted cutting wheel, or just a knife.
    6. Try a few cookies and bake in a 325 degree oven for 10 minutes, and let cool.Check the texture. If you desire a crispier texture, bake an additional 5 min.
    7. This recipe makes lots of cookies, but they keep well if kept in a tightly covered tin or in the Freezer. Don't usually keep long though...
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

Default Re: Lebkuchen

Oh my God!!! I have GOT to make some of these. Does it matter if you don't let the dough stand at all?!

I can't wait just to lick the bowl out!

They do taste divine when the dough has been left to mature, but I usually can't be bothered to leave them for that long. However my granny does and they do taste differently. Oh, I think that whole business of Christmas biscuits is the only thing I really miss about Germany *sad*
    Victor Hugo

I love Lebkuchen. Mmmm.

That sounds good, applepie. Maybe I'll try making it - am starting to feel guilty about buying everything ready-made after reading about JustMe's baking activities

I did have a shot but hit a problem - probably down to my own ineptitude as I very rarely do any baking.

The mixing went fine until I tried to add the flour but then it got so stiff that I couldn't stir it with a spoon. I ended up kneading it with my hands but even so I couldn't work in all the flour and the mixture I ended up with was rather "floury".

Applepie, do you find you can mix in the full 3lbs of flour with a spoon? Maybe I just need to build my biceps a bit more

Talking Re: Lebkuchen

It's been a serious long time since I made Lebkuchen myself....and boy am I glad to find a vegan version!!!!! We use to use more almonds than candied fruit but I like this one better...ends that craving for fruit cake I get this time of year.

What I remember about the ones we used to make...eggs and butter...blah blah. Is that the dough was really stiff...and we had to knead the last of the flour in. I guess German house fraus were suppose to have serious pecs.

BTW...Lebkuchen you wouldn't have a recipe for your name sake would you????? Use to love those little anise seed goodies...

Sorry, harpy, should have written down everything rather than assuming the (not so) obvious: as it is a very stiff dough, I stir everything together until it gets too stiff, and then I knead the last bit of flour in.
    Good training for your biceps though - just think of the typical German housewife who at least bakes 20 different sorts of Christmas biscuits!
    Victor Hugo

OMG sounds delicious!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I found a 'Lebkuchen' Yankee Samplers candle in a shop last week and I can't wait to use it - it smells wonderful!

edupen

hhmmm...sounds good, maybe i'll try that one..by the way im ahlia, newbie here