Thread: Vegan catering guide needs your help

Default Vegan catering guide needs your help

Default Re: Vegan catering guide needs your help

I think that's an excellent idea (especially after my experiences today! ) I've pledged.

Ta.

The numbers are starting to grow.

Thats a good start.....

Great idea.

Too bad it's only for the UK.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

*bump!*

I really need this guide to be published, like, yesterday.

I've been nominated for another course (see my thread anti-discrimination my arse for background) and again am having difficulty getting across my dietary needs.

It's crazy that there's nothing like this already available and I may have to have a stab at a rough advice sheet this evening because I was told by the training people today that I need to speak to the catering people direct so I can be given "something that you will eat" (said in a "I believe you're being deliberately awkward" tone of voice).

Why not post this in the UK forum?
    Unless you already have and I'm just being stupid...

Well, I've actually just emailed Tony Bishop Weston (the pledge originator) to see if it would be open to people other than in the UK - it might be a bit tricky with brand names, but the basic principles are going to be the same the world over. I would have thought the basic template of the form could be easily adapted and since people signing the pledge are volunteering to help write it people from different countries could just substitute their local brand names for things like soya milk, hopefully.

We'll see. I'll copy this over to the UK forum as well, if you think it will make a difference.

i've never seen this website before, and i don't really understand how it works. i've read their FAQs and it seems we just sign up to say we support it, but then what? when and how do we pay?
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

As far as I can tell people have until the end of February 2006 to sign up to this - if the target number of pledges has been reached by then presumably they will contact everyone and ask them to pony up the dough, and if not ... I dunno, maybe they contact Tony B-W and ask him if he wants to re-post it, or maybe it just dies a death.

I really hope it doesn't die, getting caterers to recognise what veganism is and that it isn't some scary black hole will make our lives and theirs easier.

There was a great book (with a dull cover) called "profit from emerging dietary trends" - just the ticket for caterers. Out of print now, but there may still be copies around. Vegan Soc is likely to come up with something on vegan catering advice in the next year or so. On their website they currently have this: http://www.vegansociety.com/html/foo...g_and_cookery/

Also I find a lot of caterers find the website for ski chalet vegan catering helpful (so one day I'll make it more obviously for a general audience), see: http://www.veggiesnow.makessense.co.uk/articles/16.html

I've just heard that the new Vegan Soc contact for Aberystwyth, Karen, is developing some basic info for caterers, and I think Sarah the one for Jersey has been doing the same. When they are up for it I'll put their materials on the contacts' support website under "Help for Contacts" (which anyone can take a look at). There is already lots of kinds of help and advice there provided for sharing, see: http://www.lcat.makessense.co.uk/index.html

If you come up with stuff for this yourselves, it would be great to link to it at this website to help other activists. As for Tony's future guide - he's an inspiration to everyone - let's tell as many people about it as possible so it can go ahead and happen. It's up to us.