Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: PETA killing animals?

Pilaf

Default PETA killing animals?

PETA Workers Arrested for Alleged Cruelty

Email this Story

Jun 17, 2:15 PM (ET)

AHOSKIE, N.C. (AP) - Two employees of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals were charged with animal cruelty for allegedly picking up dogs and cats from shelters and dumping their dead bodies in the garbage.

Police said they found 18 dead animals in the bin and 13 more in a van registered to the activist group, all from shelters in the state's northeastern corner.

Investigators arrested the two workers after staking out a garbage bin where animals had previously been dumped, police said Thursday.

PETA President Ingrid Newkirk said the workers were picking up animals to be brought to PETA headquarters for euthanization. Veterinarians and animal control officers said the PETA workers had promised to find homes for the animals rather than euthanize them, according to police.

Neither police nor PETA offered any theory on why the animals might have been dumped.

PETA spokeswoman Colleen O'Brien said the organization euthanizes animals by lethal injection, which it considers more humane than gassing animals in groups, as some counties do.

The group scheduled a news conference Friday in Norfolk, Va., where the group is based.

Police charged Andrew Benjamin Cook, 24, of Virginia Beach, Va., and Adria Joy Hinkle, 27, of Norfolk, Va., each with 31 felony counts of animal cruelty and eight misdemeanor counts of illegal disposal of dead animals. They were released on bond.

No home telephone number was listed for either Hinkle or Cook, and a message left for Cook at PETA headquarters was not returned. A PETA spokesman said he did not know how to reach Hinkle.
    PETA members...participating in animal cruelty? That makes me sad if it's true.

tails4wagging

Default Re: Unusual animal cruelty article

Very sad, thats the sort of news, that would please those who critisise PETA.

Pilaf

I don't know which irks me more, this or the sixteen burger ads which played while I was watching Andy Griffith earlier tonight. *sigh*

Quote tails4wagging
    Very sad, thats the sort of news, that would please those who critisise PETA.

Your right, I can hear my meat eating friends now, "See, they DO stage everything....they are the ones who kill these animals on the tapes in an inhumane way"

Wow, you don't think some of these idiots DO do that?? How depressing.

Yes, groups like the Center for Consumer Freedom are having a field day with this.

I want definitive evidence that they were PETA members and am going to write to PETA. I first heard about this about a week ago, but was relucatant to post this website on here because I don't want to encourage people to visit it.

This is the link I was given regarding the aforementioned post:
    http://www.naiaonline.org/body/artic...connection.htm

If you have a look at the rest of the site you will be disgusted by the utter hypocrisy of it all.

It will be used by those who wish to undermine the AR movement, but it is hearsay as far as I am concerned until PETA make a statement about it.

I heard about this for the first time today. Does anyone know anything about this euthanasia program?

You can watch a news reel of the story here if you haven't seen it already.

Parts of the article posted below. The full article can be found here

Posted on Sat, Jun. 18, 2005 PETA leader calls acts hideous, but not cruel
    SUE LINDSEY Associated Press
    Newkirk says dead animals dumped in trash bin didn't suffer

NORFOLK, Va. - Dumping the bodies of dead dogs and cats in the garbage is wrong, but the president of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said Friday that animal cruelty charges against two employees won't stick. Ingrid Newkirk, president of the animal rights group, called the dumping of animals "hideous." But she told a news conference there was no indication of "pain or suffering" among the 31 animals that police in northeastern North Carolina found. Police in Ahoskie, in Hertford County, about 60 miles southwest of Norfolk, found 18 dogs and cats in a shopping center garbage bin and 13 more in a van registered to PETA.

Adria Joy Hinkle, 27, of Norfolk, and Andrew Benjamin Cook, 24, of Virginia Beach, appeared Friday in Hertford County District Court and their trial was set July 19. Each faces 31 felony charges of animal cruelty and nine misdemeanor counts -- eight of illegal disposal of dead animals and one of trespassing.

But Newkirk said the workers were picking up animals to be brought to PETA headquarters in Norfolk for euthanization.

"PETA has never made a secret of the fact that most of the animals picked up in North Carolina are euthanized," Newkirk said.

PETA spokeswoman Colleen O'Brien said the organization euthanizes animals by lethal injection, which it considers more humane than shooting animals or gassing them in groups, as some counties do.
    I think that Peta are keeping close lipped about this until they have finished their own internal investigation.

More on their activities in taking animals from shelters here.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

tails4wagging

I have membership of PETA and now I will write and cancel my membership!!

This is a very tough issue. I think that on the whole Peta are doing the right thing in alleviating the suffering of the great many animals. If people withdraw their support; who is then going to step forward and make a difference? Please check the link to Peta's web page on the subject and the link further on the bottom of the page. Both can be found in the post above.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Unhappy What do you all think of this?!?!?

N.C. counties say PETA euthanizes animals

The counties learned that most animals instead had been euthanized after two PETA workers were arrested and charged with dumping dead animals in a shopping center's garbage bins.
    The two workers arrested last week, Adria Joy Hinkle, 27, of Norfolk, Va., and Andrew Benjamin Cook, 24, of Virginia Beach, Va., have a court hearing July 19 on charges of animal cruelty, disposal of dead animals and trespassing.
    Did we euthanize some animals who could have been adopted? Maybe," Nachminovitch said. "The point is that good homes are few and far between. Our aim here was to stop them from dying an agonizing death."
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Default Re: What do you all think of this?!?!?

More PETA-bashing here:

Daily (very low) Standard

It must be in vogue with right wing 'thinkers' in the US?

cross barer

When I saw the thread posted last week I thought they must have been set up but they have made admissions of guilt. I never knew PETA endorsed euthanasia of unwanted animals and I certainly never knew they did it themselves.

Fkrs.

Seaside

Do you really think this is true, and not propaganda against PETA? I have become aware that PETA supports BSL, and the euthanasia of certain breeds whenever they come through shelters just because they are considered undesirable, and claims that Ingrid Newkirk herself doesn't like dogs because she was bitten by one. I didn't want to mention it at first, but it is starting to look more likely to be true.

Can anyone here who is involved with PETA enlighten us? They do so much good work that I would like to know that this isn't true.

cross barer

I have referred it to a few AR people and they say yes, it's true.
    I don't blame Ingrid for not liking dogs if she was bitten by one, and that doesn't make her a bad person. If PETA elects to commit euthanasia on healthy animals that is their choice. But I won't endorse them any more.

Seaside

spo

I checked the PETA website and here is the explanation. A lot of misinformation is swirling around this story. It is likely that these two employees were acting on their own to dispose of the dead animals and that this story has been picked up and embellished to make PETA look bad since they have been recently so effective in the the "Tyson" case and the "Covance Labs" case.
    Here's the link explaining PETA's position:
    http://www.helpinganimals.com/f-nc.asp
    spo

greenworlds

Some people want to legalise euthanasia for people...if a person is terminally ill with no quality of live and wants to give up etc..They can be forgiven for encouraging euthanasia likewise if a dog has a broken back and can't work and maybe won't eat etc..do you force feed... to help keep the dog alive or let he or die from stavation or euthanize? It can be difficult to decide. I would find it hard to believe Peta were euthanizing well animals.

cross barer

I don't see how one can be actively promoting/fighting for animal rights and animal welfare at the same time, as they often contradict. For example, how can you demand greater space for hens in battery cages if you believe hens do not belong in battery cages? If the hens are given more space, what do you do next...ask for even more space?

Such issues have caused great divisions among activists in Australia over the last ten years or so. Personally I think the closer activists get to crying out for moderate advances to animal welfare the less authorities will listen when rights are demanded for the same animals.

Quote adam antichrist
    I don't see how one can be actively promoting/fighting for animal rights and animal welfare at the same time, as they often contradict. For example, how can you demand greater space for hens in battery cages if you believe hens do not belong in battery cages? If the hens are given more space, what do you do next...ask for even more space?
    Exactly Adam!

Also, how is killing healthy puppies in any way shape or form "euthanasia." Surely it is infanticide? How can a puppy not be adoptable?

Just because Newkirk doesn't like dogs by the way doesn't mean she would start a vendetta to deliberately kill them. I have a freakish phobia about spiders, but I go well out of my way not to harm them.

But I am hoping more people see through Peta. As Adam says, welfare and rights are mutually incompatable. We would not negotiate with terrorists if the victims were human, so why negotiate with terrorists when the kidnap and murder victims are other animals?

greenworlds

[QUOTE= Greenworlds] We have to be careful that we don't totalling abandoned..animal-rights/welfare groups because we don't agree we every little thing they do that might not be correct. Also because it might only be just the once and they could change for the better over time etc. If we don't have strong organizations..then literature/information/leatlets don't get printed, and the word would be slower to be past around unless vegans started knocking on doors etc or stopped people in the streets etc..... ( even then if you have no graphic photos to show people it can be less effective.....I do agree Adam (and I don't believe you are so anti christ in your out look on life) that animal welfare/rights etc should be uncompromising.[QUOTE]

Well, doing leaflet drops on people's doors, and walking up to people in the street and saying "do you want to try this vegan burger, icecream, whatever," and starting a conversation really does work. Don't see what is wrong with that!

And it is uncompromising, yet non confrontational. It's great fun. We should all give it a go! (You know you want to...)

Quote Realfood Mary
    But I am hoping more people see through Peta. As Adam says, welfare and rights are mutually incompatable. We would not negotiate with terrorists if the victims were human, so why negotiate with terrorists when the kidnap and murder victims are other animals?
    This isn't really relevant to the issues you're discussing, I know very little about PETA. But I don't think it's wrong to negotiate with terrorists. Remember Thatcher's hard line stance against the IRA...it didn't work. Negotiating with 'terrorists' may ultimately be the only way to reach a political solution. I suppose I'm a pragmatist.
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Well, I was raised Irish Catholic, and was driven out of Ireland as a small child by the IRA (because my Dad was polite to English soldiers and didn't talk to them like shit, amongst other things.) I don't believe negotiating with terrorists works. It doesn't work when the terrorists victimise animals, or humans. If you negotiate with terrorists you give the green light to every terrorist group to behave that way, and they know you will bow down to their demands. (Bigger cages, whatever.)

I don't personally believe the IRA began looking for a diplomatic solution because of "negotiations." As an Irish woman it seems to me that the IRA lost the support of the community they were supposed to represent, because we became increasingly sickened by their behaviour. They got weaker and had to change with the times. As the animal abusers will if we keep eroding their support base.

You obviously know a lot more about it than I do, Mary. But now Sinn Fein's power relies on democratic process more than violence, and that couldn't have happened if they hadn't been allowed to stand for election. I've read the book 'Political Murder in Northern Ireland' and I agree with you that terrorists on both sides behaved appallingly, usually fuelled by alcohol (and meat...apparently N.Ireland has a huge slaughtering 'industry', which must contribute to the social psychology). But when terrorists claim to be fighting for the rights of a minority, then unless that minority is given political representation, terrorist acts are likely to continue. It's kind of a self-reinforcing cycle of violence when terrorism is used as an excuse for increased military presence, rather than open negotiation.

Quote Realfood Mary
    They got weaker and had to change with the times. As the animal abusers will if we keep eroding their support base.
    I completely agree with you about this though

Cool. Wish we had thumbs up smileys for the text!

greenworlds

[QUOTE=Realfood Mary]Well, doing leaflet drops on people's doors, and walking up to people in the street and saying "do you want to try this vegan burger, icecream, whatever," and starting a conversation really does work. Don't see what is wrong with that![QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Greenworlds] I meant if we didn't have the larger animal-rights/welfare groups around..we wouldn't have leaflets and other kinds or easy acessible infomation to pass on to people in general. I agree with encouraging people in the street to try the varieties of vegan foods...I have offered vegan sauages to people at a stall I help out on. I like to see peoples faces when they have some of the vegan cakes that are offered to them..most people seem to like the cakes.[QUOTE]

Quote RealMary
    And it is uncompromising, yet non confrontational. It's great fun. We should all give it a go! (You know you want to...)
    [QUOTE =Greenworlds] I agree it probably is the most effective way of getting people to enjoy vegan food ( so everyone should love to give it a go...[QUOTE]

I don't think the terrorism analogy stands up because, unlike in Irish history, one side in this 'euthanasia' issue is completely and utterly innocent and non-violent i.e. the animals.

(BTW I think the violence of the oppressed is different than that of the oppressor, but that's a completely different discussion. Oh, and all our governments not only negotiate with terrorists but often sponsor them too.. ).

I guess the difference between Adam/Mary's and PETA's position on this 'euthanasia issue' is evidence of the classic revolutionary versus reformist take on things. Revolutionaries always see reformers as appeasers maintaining an unacceptable status quo and generally half-arsed; reformists see revolutionaries as hopeless purists who never really get their hands dirty.

In this instance, it seems PETA's willingness to get their hands dirty went too far...

greenworlds

[QUOTE=Realfood Mary]Well, I was raised Irish Catholic, and was driven out of Ireland as a small child by the IRA (because my Dad was polite to English soldiers and didn't talk to them like shit, amongst other things.) I don't believe negotiating with terrorists works. It doesn't work when the terrorists victimise animals, or humans. If you negotiate with terrorists you give the green light to every terrorist group to behave that way, and they know you will bow down to their demands. (Bigger cages, whatever.)[QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Greenworlds]My experience of living in Ireland as a kid from England was predominately a good one..I found the kids in school most friendly and welcoming..mind you that was the south east. It's a complex issue and I agree with Kokopelli the causes could lay in the eating habits of the locals....rather then a truely politically one. Every part of the world seems to have human killings of some sort caused and encouraged by onmivores. I'm sure when people stop killing of eating animals..these kind of problems will cease all around the world.
    Regarding politics in Ireland ..I want to know if most people in the four troubled counties in the north of Ireland want to be part of Britain and perfer to be called British.....or do most want to be Irish but perfer to be ruled by Britain?...I havn't looked too much into that. Why not have a compromise..have a goverment there that represents both viewpoints and call it Neitherland or something[QUOTE]

Quote terrace max
    I guess the difference between Adam/Mary's and PETA's position on this 'euthanasia issue' is evidence of the classic revolutionary versus reformist take on things. Revolutionaries always see reformers as appeasers maintaining an unacceptable status quo and generally half-arsed; reformists see revolutionaries as hopeless purists who never really get their hands dirty.

In this instance, it seems PETA's willingness to get their hands dirty went too far...
    They didn't get their hands dirty. They soaked them in blood.

(Mary, revolutionary purist. )

Mozbee

I'm still happier giving to PeTA and not giving to Royal Society for Promotion of Cruelty to Animals (and it's bloodthirsty patron!)

Default PETA killing animals?

There was recently a posting from someone quoting a magazine article that PETA had killed animals. I can't find that posting now, but I wrote to PETA and asked about it, and received their reply today:

"Thank you for contacting PETA about animal overpopulation and euthanasia. Won’t you please post this response on your newsgroup?

PETA has adopted a variety of approaches in its fight against the abuse and overpopulation of domesticated animals. We have launched undercover investigations and grassroots campaigns designed to seek justice from the courts and to educate the public. We actively encourage people to adopt animals from shelters rather than perpetuating the overpopulation crisis by buying animals from breeders. Our efforts have brought to light the role played by puppy mills and pet shops in flooding communities with casually acquired and all-too-often carelessly discarded dogs and cats. For more information on puppy mills, please visit http://www.HelpingAnimals.com/Factsh...play.asp?ID=45.

Our Community Animal Project (CAP) rescues local animals directly, including the ones nobody else wants to deal with: feral cats, descendants of abandoned, unaltered cat companions, who are as wild as tigers and infected with deadly, ravaging diseases like feline AIDS and leukemia; stray dogs so disfigured by mange that they are almost no longer recognizable as canines; litters of parvo-infected puppies, racked with diarrhea and vomiting, dehydrating to death; and backyard dogs who have known only chains, beatings, and neglect, and who have gone mad because of it.

Unfortunately, even healthy and adoptable animals don’t always fare well in shelters. Typically these facilities are overrun with animals, millions of whom are euthanized for lack of good homes―most of them young and friendly. Unsocialized or feral animals don’t stand a chance in shelters; they simply mark time cowering in their cages until they are euthanized. PETA believes it is usually more humane to euthanize feral animals immediately after evaluation than to subject them to the trauma of further transport and caging before their inevitable death at the shelter.

Some opponents of euthanasia have suggested that the solution to animal overpopulation lies in no-kill shelters, perhaps unaware that these facilities have problems of their own. Some unadoptable animals may find themselves “warehoused” in cages for years. No-kill shelters and rescue groups often find themselves filled to capacity and obliged to turn new animals away. These animals will still die―just somewhere else. The lucky ones will be taken to another shelter that does euthanize. The unlucky ones will be dumped by the roadside and ultimately suffer deaths far more painful and horrible than an injection of sodium pentobarbital. The no-kill shelter can honestly say that it did not kill these animals, but that doesn’t mean that the animals were saved. There are an estimated 73 million cats and 68 million dogs in the U.S.; there simply aren’t enough homes―or even cages―for all of them.

Proponents of euthanasia have been accused of not caring or not trying hard enough to find alternatives. By no means can euthanasia be regarded as an easy solution. It is painless for the animals alone; those who perform it suffer great distress and can only bring themselves to do it if they are absolutely convinced that it is the most humane option in a world overrun with abused and unwanted animals. PETA would never condone arbitrary euthanasia. While some of the healthy, adoptable homeless animals we rescue are fostered in homes (often our own) or taken directly to local shelters to await adoption, the reality is that thousands of animals are euthanized every day across America for lack of good homes. To learn more, visit http://www.HelpingAnimals.com/f-nc.asp and http://www.HelpingAnimals.com/i-nobirth.html.

There is hope for homeless animals and it lies in prevention. We must persuade people to spay and neuter animals to stop the cycle of abuse. We must convince governments to accept responsibility instead of turning a blind eye to a problem that results in unimaginable animal suffering. PETA works very hard to educate the public about the need to spay and neuter animals through pamphlets, billboards, letters to the editor, ads, articles, and humane education in schools. We spay and neuter animals of low-income families and the elderly poor for free (http://www.HelpingAnimals.com/i-nobirth-snip.html). Since January 1999, PETA has sponsored more than 20,000 spay/neuter surgeries in our home region in Virginia and North Carolina.

To learn more about ways to help homeless dogs and cats, please visit http://www.HelpingAnimals.com.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Thank you again for giving us the opportunity to explain our stance on these difficult issues.
    Sincerely,

Heidi R. Jury
    Staff Writer
    People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
    http://www.Angel4Animals.com
    Eve

Default Re: PETA killing animals?

That was very sad to read.
    PETA is doing a very tough job.
    Thanks for sharing that info.

Default peta kills animals

Last edited by Korn; Dec 17th, 2005 at 09:56 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: peta kills and more

Quote SweetLady66
    I think PETA does some good and som bad things (ie. I totally disgree with their ALF/ELF-support). petakillsanimals.com also have some interesting information, but looks like a site that receives money from the meat or dairy industry to create the impression that all vegans and vegetarians are violent extremists. One reason I have focused on not allowing posts here that ecourage/support illegal activities, is to make it clear that there is a big split among people who supports animals' rights when it comes to their view on using brutality or violence in the name of non-harming. The poll someone set up a while ago, asking our members about their opinions about humans who carry out violent attacks on vivisectionists had a reply option saying 'I admire them'. The amount of vegetarians/vegans that support using brutality/violence is so small that to try to give the impression that support animals' rights/being against using animal products = supporting 'eco-terrorism', using violence or burnig buildings is just silly nonsense. Veganism is about non-harming, which is the opposite of violence!

petakillsanimals claims not only that PETA kills a lot of animals, but also that PETA "has given tens of thousands of dollars to convicted arsonists and other violent criminals. This includes a 2001 donation of $1,500 to the North American Earth Liberation Front (ELF), an FBI-certified “domestic terrorist” group responsible for dozens of firebombs and death threats. During the 1990s, PETA paid $70,200 to an Animal Liberation Front (ALF) activist convicted of burning down a Michigan State University research laboratory."

By looking at this statement together with other statements on their site, they seem to want to give the impression that it's 'extreme' to be against using animal products, and that they indirectly want to give the impression that people who are vegans or who have sympathies for much of what PETA does also synpathize with using terroris-like methods.

IMO; the problem with PETA and ALF/ELF isn't that they go too far, it's that they don't go far enough in respecting life, and that they're not being concistent in their wish not to harm animals/humans. 'Extreme' is a relative word; if you would live in a community of cannibals, you'll be considered an extremist if you don't want to eat human food. So in a way it's 'extreme' to be against eating meat in parts of the world where eating meat is common, but so be it. If only PETA/ALF/ELF would be 'more extreme', meaning that they really would take the consequence of their claim to be against harming others, they would get a lot more support, and therefore be more successful in their work towards a world with less animal cruelty. petakillsanimals.com is a good example of what kind of exposure vegans and AR-people can get when they follow ALF/ELF's ideas, which in the end leads to less support for animal rights among common people - which again means more animals killed and eaten.

The letter above clearly shows that people who critisize PETA for saying that animals should have the same rights as humans clearly are wrong. Try to replace the word 'animals' with the word 'humans' in the letter above, and you'll see that their views on animals' rights is very different from their views on humans' rights - unless, of course, they would use arguments' like 'These humans will still die―just somewhere else' or 'We must persuade people to spay and humans animals to stop the cycle of abuse' in a discussion about ie. human euthanasia in overpopulated areas.

Default Re: PETA?

I am a bit confused about your message above. One thing I do understand about AR groups like Peta is that equal doesn't mean same; each according to their needs. Euthanasia is an important topic; I will listen to the arguments.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Veganism is about non-harming, which is the opposite of violence!
    I agree. It is impossible to live the vegan ethic and think it's Ok to hurt humans and not Ok to hurt animals. Vegans honor ALL life. Human included.

The stories about what may happen to animals in some no-kill shelters ignores the tremendous work done by many no-kill shelters (probably the majority) to find homes for rescued animals, often very far away and at great cost to the individuals involved.

Peta has not to my knowledge set up any such homing networks, so in the end their message sounds like just another excuse. It certainly doesn't take much imagination to conceive of how they could use their websites and well-tuned publicity machines to help these animals live out their lives in love and peace. But they don't. So I don't really find the self-righteous tone of their "explanation" justified.

I personally will not support Peta in any way until they revise their kill shelter policy.

At the same time, I do agree with PETA on many issues and do smell something very funny about the petakillsanimals site, including their attempt to in every way equate PETA with the animal liberation movement and vice versa.

Cheers

Mike

I assume, Michael, that your experience is limited to the Uk. In the U.S. a vast number of animals are kept for their "usefullness" -guard dogs or fighting etc. The utter misery of so many of these animals was painfully apparent to Inrid Newkirk as a animal control field worker. In her role as founder of Peta she well knows that many of these souls cannot be rehomed and to prolong their existence is against their best interests. Every Peta worker I have ever been aquainted with has given a home to rescued animals, found homes for rescued animals, raised money for shelters and campaigned for more shelters. If the situation for animals is better here in the U.K., hallelujah.

Pat, actually, I have more knowledge of rescue in the States than the UK, although I live here. There are, however, guard dogs in this country, too. Probably less in the way of fighting dogs. However, I can assure you a lot of people do manage to rehabilitate and rehome them, both here in the UK and in the US. If PETA does not know how to do this it should learn, not kill. There are also different ways of running shelters for dogs that cannot be rehomed because they are, for example, very old and/or incontinent. The people who give these dogs a life worth living are to be praised. And they do give them a life worth living by creating homes in the shelters and not simply storing the animals in cages. The excuses for the US kill shelter, which would appear to kill in too great a number for these dogs only to be extreme cases in any case, is quite simply contemptible in my opinion. People have brought rescue animals to that PETA shelter in the hope they would be cared for. Killing them (this is not euthanisation - many of them were by all accounts not suffering) was a betrayal of the dogs and of the people that cared enough about them to bring them to PETA (though maybe not enough to actually care for them themsleves). If PETA is not prepared to run animal rescue properly, it should stop.

Regards

Michael

Has there been any official figures released by PETA on the shelter killings?

Philip Morris backed the petakillsanimals campaign.......... ooh what a nice man, and so honest too!

Default regards, Michael

Well, it appears I assumed too much. But I am a bit confused as to "Peta shelters". Does that imply they are in the business of running shelters or rather that there is a list of Peta approved shelters? The city pound is still where the majority of animals picked up on the street in the U.S end their days.

Hi Pat, I'm not too sure how PETA run stuff in the states, I know its much bigger there than here, maybe a US member can shed some light on it?

As far as I can see on their site, they just list other shelters, non seem to be their own, but I'm not sure.

Quote Span
    Has there been any official figures released by PETA on the shelter killings?

Philip Morris backed the petakillsanimals campaign.......... ooh what a nice man, and so honest too!
    I don't think Peta have given figures. The PM information comes as no surprise. That they're prepared to give money to undermine Peta is testimony to the good work Peta have done in other areas. That's why this shelter buinsess is such a shame.

Cheers

Mike

Default Re: regards, Michael

Quote pat sommer
    Well, it appears I assumed too much. But I am a bit confused as to "Peta shelters". Does that imply they are in the business of running shelters or rather that there is a list of Peta approved shelters? The city pound is still where the majority of animals picked up on the street in the U.S end their days.
    No it's shelters of their own, though most of the crticism is levelled at one in particular.

Cheers

Mike

Default Re: PETA shelters?

I still can't find documentation of Peta running shelters. Not from above links nor a Peta site search. Just Peta-helps-locals-create-shelter and Peta-provides-plastic-dog-shelter. oh, and Peta offers to pay for shelter to convert from gas-chamber to injection.

Default Re: PETA shelters?

Quote pat sommer
    I still can't find documentation of Peta running shelters. Not from above links nor a Peta site search. Just Peta-helps-locals-create-shelter and Peta-provides-plastic-dog-shelter. oh, and Peta offers to pay for shelter to convert from gas-chamber to injection.
    Hi Pat. I agree the situation is very ambiguous. I don't want to repeat rumours so I've spent some time checking in to this myself. Two things are clear:

1) People bring animals to PETA
    2) PETA finds homes for animals

What name they give the facilities they have to house the animals either before passing them onto shelters, killing (euthanising) them or finding homes is not clear. If, for example, you have a look at this series of articles http://www.bestfriends.org/blogs/ind...E6CE66BFE5347F about PETA's practicies and policies, including the first one by Ingrid Newkirk (PETA's founder) herself, you will for example find this acknowledged. I quote here form Newkirk's article: "Although we have placed dogs and cats from North Carolina in homes, most dogs we have been given...." (my emphasis).

hth

Cheers

Mike