Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why does no one sell real vegan cheese?

Default Re: Why does no one sell real vegan cheese?

has anyone made yogurt cheese? A bit like paneer.

stir a bit of salt into plain -and I do mean PLAIN unsweetened- yogurt and pour into a colander lined with cheesecloth or paper towels. when dripping slows then cloth can be gathered into a pouch, twisting top. weighted down a bit with a saucer and a 8oz tin should yield cheese in a few hours.
    hanging over a sink works too.

use as you would tofutti creamcheese
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

so i could use that in a cheescake recipe then, pat?

Quote veggiemaya View Post
    that is exactly what i was going to suggest you try. i have the mozzarella and the cheddar in my fridge right now. the cheddar is ok...not bad on a cracker, but didn't melt really well on tortilla chips. but the mozzarella is gooood! i actually used it to make a flatbread pizza with italian herb diced tomatos and a little balsamic viniagrette drizzled on top. it was just as good as the real thing! enjoy!!
    The mozzarella makes a good pizza topper. It doesn't really taste like real mozzarella, but it does taste good. I have to broil my pizzas to make the cheese melt... maybe broil the cheddar cheese? They do seem to require high heat.

Like Roxy says, they go bad *quickly.*
    "Lovers, givers, what minds have we made/ that make us hate/ a slaughterhouse for torturing a river?" ==AF

yes, Bryzee.
    For extra cheesiness, I blend in a wee cube of stinky-tofu from the Asian market. Jar labeled: fermented beancurd; looks slimy and nasty- it is.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Quote pat sommer View Post
    Jar labeled: fermented beancurd; looks slimy and nasty- it is.
    LOL

Quote ALexiconofLove View Post
    The mozzarella makes a good pizza topper. It doesn't really taste like real mozzarella, but it does taste good. I have to broil my pizzas to make the cheese melt... maybe broil the cheddar cheese? They do seem to require high heat.

Like Roxy says, they go bad *quickly.*
    i do agree with you completely about the mozzarella. and i also find that it melts best when i put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes. i tried the same concept with the cheddar on top of some tortilla chips. not exactly the greatest outcome. the cheese melted really fast, so it was a bit on the toasty side. but they were edible. i think i will try that with the nacho flavored one next. i haven't gotten that one before, maybe it will be good. i am tempted to try other brands of "cheese" but i am always hesitant. they could wind up tasting horrible and just be a waste of money.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

Vegan Gourmet by Follow Your Heart... *drools*

elve

I don't have a car and I live in a village with 3 buses a day so I haven't been able to try many vegan 'cheeses' (bit reluctant to get 6 blocks from goodnessdirect - though the 'blue' sheese is tempting me!) - But all the ones I've managed to get hold of actually make me want to throw up

When I analysed why we love cheese it's basically salt addiction, with a bit of fat addiction added - so I thinly sliced some tofu, thickly spread my bread with marge, and marmite, and laid the tofu slices on top, plus some sliced tomato. Tasted great to me and teenage son (who eats real cheese and meat at his dad's house) - and no nasty additives! Oooh and lot lot cheaper! Tofu is after all curd or 'cheese' made from soya beans

Quote elve View Post
    When I analysed why we love cheese it's basically salt addiction, with a bit of fat addiction added
    actually, there is even more to it than that. I listed an excerpt from a transcript on Medicinenet.com by Neal Barnard, MD who talks about how certain foods, epecially cheese, have an opiate effect on the brain.

Moderator: Which foods do you think are seductive?
    Barnard: We have known for a long time that chocolate can be addictive, at least for some people. Medical journals have described chocolate addiction for many years. Sugar addiction appears to be a separate phenomenon. A true chocolate lover would never be satisfied with a box of sugar. While women more often tend to be attracted towards sweets and chocolate, men show a slightly different pattern. While some have a sweet tooth, many more report that the very last food they would want to give up would be meat, or perhaps a meat-cheese combination like a cheeseburger.
    So the addictive or potentially addictive foods would be:
    • Sugar
    • Chocolate
    • Cheese
    • Meat
    All of these are unnecessary, and all raise significant health concerns.
    Moderator: Why those foods? What is it about them that make them potentially addictive?
    Barnard: Apparently, each of these foods triggers the release within the brain of opiate chemicals that are cousins of heroin and morphine, although not so strong. We know this, in part from experiments using opiate-blocking drugs. One such drug is called naloxone. This drug is used in emergency rooms to treat heroin overdose. It blocks the effects of opiates on the brain, and in the case of heroin overdose, can save a life. If we were to give naloxone to a person who binges heavily on chocolate, a surprising result occurs. These individuals lose a great deal of their interest in chocolate, almost as if someone has given them dry bread; they'll eat it if they're hungry, but they'll no longer binge.
    This sort of experiment suggests that the appeal of chocolate comes not simply from its taste, or mouth feel, but from its effect on the brain. Similar experiments have shown that a significant portion of the desire for sugar (especially sugar/fat mixtures), cheese, and meat also relates to opiate effects. Cheese is a special case. It actually contains opiates, which are coded as part of the casein protein molecule, which is the principal protein in dairy. As casein is digested it releases opiates referred to as casomorphins. Of these, the most potent varieties have approximately one-tenth the opiate power of morphine. We hypothesize that they may play a role in the well known cheese craving that some individuals have.

personally, this makes total sense to me..being that i was easily a chocolate and cheese addict before going vegan and will forever search for the closest alternatives.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

elve

oooh that's so interesting, I had no idea! - thanks for posting it - I think I'm now addicted to marmite instead

Quote elve View Post
    oooh that's so interesting, I had no idea! - thanks for posting it - I think I'm now addicted to marmite instead
    what is marmite?

It's a yeast extract product made in most non australasian countries by Unilever
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    It's a yeast extract product made in most non australasian countries by Unilever
    so, just quickly looking at that..the company that makes it tests on animals?

Correct, outside of AU/NZ where its made under license by Sanitarium.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

alessioisonfire

i've bought the cream sheese and vegan gouda they make but i found both quite gross. they had a strange taste, a bit like recycled paper :/

has anyone else tried the sheese made by scottish bute island?

The Bute Island "Scheese" is very good in cheese sauce. The trouble is that for me it tastes much too strong in sandwiches, etc. However, it does come in 8 varieties, although some are very hard to obtain, so it could be that one of the milder varieties would be better (I had the "Strong Cheddar" and "Smoked Cheddar" varieties). I notice that most, if not all the varieties contain spirit vinegar, which seems to be missing from alternate brands such as Redwood Foods' "Cheezly". Perhaps the makers should use less of this in manufacture.

As someone who likes Sheese but not other brands like Cheezly (except in cooking) I hope they do not try and change it to be like the other brands!

But as you live in London if you go to the Whole Food Market on Kennsington High Road they usually have all the flavours, including Medium Cheddar which it sounds like you may prefer.

Alternatively on the opposite side of London the health store in the Stratford Centre is usually pretty good at stocking many of the flavours.

Michael.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me...

Default Re: Why does no one sell vegan *cheese*?

Quote TofuFooYung View Post
    Redwoods Cheezly Melting Mozerella is probably one of the best I've personally come across. It melts well- not quite the same as real cheese, but well enough.

I like that cheese, I have bought it a few times... Have you tried the Nacho flavoured one too?

I think it melts a little too quick, hhehe it's messy on your hands....kinda soggy feelin' I think! haha!

Has anyone but me had the vegan gourmet? The mozzarella and monterey jack are good. I think the cheddar may have its place but it is very kraft cheese powder.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

i have had vegan gourmet. i have tried the mozzarella and the nacho flavor. not crazy at all about the nacho, but the mozz is pretty good stuff. the only thing i dont like about those so much is the texture. i miss the texture of sharp cheddar type cheese. its impossible to find in the states, i am convinced.

I had the red cheddar FYH vegan gourmet when in NYC. It was nasty, salty, greasy. Ew. Just Ew.

I made refried black bean quesadillas last night and sprinkled on some FYH vegan gourmet cheddar. My vegetarian (cheese-eating) boyfriend said it tasted better than some normal cheese (he specifically named kraft). I don't think he would have said that if he'd eaten it by itself unmelted... but it was very tasty with the black beans.
    "Lovers, givers, what minds have we made/ that make us hate/ a slaughterhouse for torturing a river?" ==AF

shparris27

I'm in Missouri, and we have a store called Hy-Vee. It has a Health Market inside of it, and they had a nice little variety of vegan cheeses. The one I bought was a itty-bitty little tub called Nacheezmo. It's base is cashew nuts. It taste good to me although i'm trying to hold onto it as long as I can, cause it cost a pretty penny. They also had a few sliced cheeses, but I couldn't afford to get a variety!!!!