Thread: How to make your own tofu?

Default Tofu in Europe - HOW???

Here's the thing : I want to make tofu.
    According to them , them and them in process of making tofu you need coagulant :
    - Nigari (natural magnesium chloride) OR
    - natural calcium sulfate

NOW WHERE DO I GET THOSE OR WHAT ARE THE SUBSTITUTES THAT CAN BE BOUGHT IN AVERAGE EUROPEAN GROCERY.

I read on some polish site (I'm polish) that you can use MILK ACID (?) or NATURAL YOGURT. I would use them but then again how much?

No idea :/
    Auschwitz begins wherever someone looks at a slaughterhouse and thinks: they're only animals.
    -Theodor Adorno (1903-1969), German Jewish philosopher forced into exile by the Nazis

I got the tofu box & nigari from soyafresh . I did want to make my own, and will now.....I just have to be careful which sort of wood i use.......but its so easy with the programmed soya maker, and tastes wonderful.....all you need to do is make a box using untreated wood like in the pic in the link above

I have just read a very worrying report on coagulant used in a lot of tofu. it seems that it is dangerous to health ....Glucono-delta-lactone ( which may not be vegan either!!! ) is used to coagulate the curds as it sets later than nigari and so can be used to pcak in tetra-packs.....but have a look at the health implications here and how its used in tofu production here....

i'm awaiting delivery of my soya milk maker and tofu pressy thingy so i will give this one a try as soon as i work out how to make my own tofu.

apparently when you make home-made tofu you can make it to the consistency that you like it by pressing out more or less of the liquid. that's good cos i like it firmer than you can often buy in the shops.

Default making tofu without soybeans

does anyone have some receipies to make home made tofu with millet, black beans, almonds, or any other main ingredient outside of soy? thanks

Default Re: Tofu in Europe - HOW???

Do you have any coops around you? Or specialty food store? They might have catalogs where you can order the stuff.

Ileana

Quote basteq
    Here's the thing : I want to make tofu.
    According to them , them and them in process of making tofu you need coagulant :
    - Nigari (natural magnesium chloride) OR
    - natural calcium sulfate

NOW WHERE DO I GET THOSE OR WHAT ARE THE SUBSTITUTES THAT CAN BE BOUGHT IN AVERAGE EUROPEAN GROCERY.

I read on some polish site (I'm polish) that you can use MILK ACID (?) or NATURAL YOGURT. I would use them but then again how much?

Default Re: All about tofu

Thanks Ileana,
    I'll try it in the morning and let you know!

I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

I just made my first batch of homemade tofu and it was GREAT! I can't believe how easy it was to make. And it was the sweetest tasting tofu I've had. I used epsom salts as the coagulant and a fine mesh strainer with cheese cloth (so it wasn't shaped square). Perhaps I will buy a kit that makes it square, or just get a square strainer. Either way, I am hooked! It's cheap and easy and tastes so much better than store-bought. Now, if only I could figure out how to make silken tofu............

tails4wagging

Quote Dianecrna
    I just made my first batch of homemade tofu and it was GREAT! I can't believe how easy it was to make. And it was the sweetest tasting tofu I've had. I used epsom salts as the coagulant and a fine mesh strainer with cheese cloth (so it wasn't shaped square). Perhaps I will buy a kit that makes it square, or just get a square strainer. Either way, I am hooked! It's cheap and easy and tastes so much better than store-bought. Now, if only I could figure out how to make silken tofu............
    I made it once never got round to repeating it though, as it is so easy to buy now.

Question Re: All about tofu

Hi, i REALLY love tofu, and I am interested in making my own, especially cuz my mom complains that store bought isn't cheap. Where can I get a good recipe for it, I'd love to try my hand at it! And does anyone have a good recipe for like a teriyaki tofu burger thing? I saw it somewhere once, and it sounded lovely, and I really wanna make it. Thanx!

I don't have the book I used on hand right now but will post when I get it again.

Here it is:

"The Tofu Book: The New American Cuisine" by John Paino & Lisa Messinger (1991)

You can buy tofu making kits but this book makes it a simple and basic as possible.

That's really cool cuz i've been really wanting to try my hand at making tofu, this'll be a good way to start i hope!

Default Re: How to make your own tofu?

Quote Tofu Monster
    i'm awaiting delivery of my soya milk maker and tofu pressy thingy so i will give this one a try as soon as i work out how to make my own tofu.
    Hih, did youy try it yet? What kind of coagulant did you use? Anyone tried apple juice or lemon juice?

Blueshark

Quote Korn
    Hih, did youy try it yet? What kind of coagulant did you use? Anyone tried apple juice or lemon juice?
    I would be interested to know to. But after DianeVegan's comments - I think I should try it myself. Will probably end up with Soya yogurt though

Quote Blueshark
    I would be interested to know to. But after DianeVegan's comments - I think I should try it myself. Will probably end up with Soya yogurt though
    I'm sure her solution is good - I just haven't figured out where to get epsom salts where I live yet...

Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate) can be found in pharmacy stores here in the U.S. It is also used as a laxative and as soaking salts in the bath - very versatile and economical.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Calcium sulfate should be found in every drug store and in craft stores they sell the same stuff in big bags (it`s really cheap there though it`s originally meant for casts). I`ve used calcium sulfate bought in craft store but I guess calcium sulfate would be of better quality in drug stores.

Quote DianeVegan
    Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate) can be found in pharmacy stores here in the U.S.
    Thanks, I have ordered some today. Now I just need to figure out how much I need for the soy milk to coagulate...

ConsciousCuisine

Sadly, that tofu making kit has been discontinued

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    Sadly, that tofu making kit has been discontinued
    Here's another one:
    http://www.tofumaster.org/

Quote Korn
    Thanks, I have ordered some today. Now I just need to figure out how much I need for the soy milk to coagulate...
    Here is a website that may help. It's long but one of the most fact-filled descriptions I have read. The recipe I have used calls for 2 1/2 teaspoons epsom salts to each 1 cup dried beans (the salts need to be dissolved in water first).

The above website refers to the beany taste of some homemade soymilks. I usually make tofu from mine so I don't worry about it. Instead of blending boiling water with the beans, I do room temperature water then bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. (There seems to be many different ways of making tofu).

Thanks for the tofu kit site - my tofu kit has an uneven bottom, very annoying.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

ok well I've read through this thread and it's not making a huge amount of sense, bit it is Monday today (masquerading as Tuesday!!!)....

Has anyone tried the tofu master kit and is it straightforward?? can you make silken as well as firm?

I have had trouble finding proper soft silken tofu, and I would also like to be able to make flavoured tofu cheaper than I can get it in the shops (like Grafitti).

And how long does it take to do? is it messy? does it take up much kitchen space? Does it make much at once?

Please help!

i've been looking into it in recent months, but haven't had any money to spare for it yet! I've far more useful things to shop for at the moment, like wireless bunnies
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Jamie,

Can you post a link to this "tofu master kit?" I'm not sure what this is? As far as silken tofu goes, it uses the same basic ingredients as regular tofu but is not drained. It requires the use of a richer soymilk. I highly suggest "The Book of Tofu" by William Shurtleff and Akiko Aoyagi if you would like to make silken tofu. It is very informative in general and has easy instructions. But get one of the recent editions as the editions from the 1970s are in small, paperback novel size and therefore difficult to read as you go along.

Making tofu does take some time, even though much of it is soaking or draining time. Making the milk is a bit messy - cleaning the pot you make it in requires some elbow grease. And soymillk makers don't yield enough milk per batch to be worthwhile, IMO, so you really do need to make the soymilk in a pot on your stove. It doesn't take up much kitchen space.

According to "The Book of Tofu" - 1 pound of soybeans yields 3 to 4 pounds of tofu and will be ready 50 to 60 minutes after you start (if you've already soaked your soybeans in water for 10 to 12 hours).

If you are truly interested in making your own tofu then it's definitely worth a try. It tastes better than anything you purchase in a package and you can try the different coagulants to decide which you like best.

it was mentioned a couple of posts back! It's www.tofumaster.org

Thanks for clearing that up for me! I don't think the taste of the tofu would be any different with that kit, nor any easier than what I do at home unless you did not have all the equipment already in your kitchen. The tofu block is really only necessary if you want your tofu to be in a square shape. I use a strainer so mine is circular shaped.

ooooh I've been looking at a website mentioned earlier in this thread, instructions for making tofu, and it looks really complicated!! I wonder if it is any easier with a kit or if it's just a try-till-you-get-the-hang-of-it thing?? I will wait until I'm expecting to have a long day with nothing to do and then give it a whirl!

Jamie,
    Tofu-making has been compared to making bread and I think this is a good comparison. You really have to just get in there and try it. The night before you make it remember to soak your beans and you'll be on your way. The good news is that the basic ingredients are so inexpensive that if it doesn't turn out quite right the first time it's not a big problem. Here are the problems I have encountered:

Low yield - due to straining the soy milk through too many layers of cheesecloth

Soft, powdery or grainy tofu - due to not stirring enough after adding the coagulant

Firm, rubbery tofu (which I rather liked) - due to stirring too much after the coagulant is added

So, no big problems. Just stay flexible with your ideas of how you will use your tofu once it's made, depending on the texture.

Let us know how it turns out!

Can anyone suggest a good tofu making kit in the US?

I use lemon juice or vinegar all the time when I'm making whole grain tofu using soy flour instead of soy milk for use in vegan cheese, lasagna, or for use in burgers.
    Here is my recipe for
    "Vegan Havarti Cheese with Dill"
    Homemade whole grain tofu;
    3 c. water
    Bring to a boil, add, whipping constantly until dissolved;
    3/4 c. soy flour
    separately mix;
    1 c. hot water
    1/4 c. fresh lemon juice

Reduce the heat to the lowest setting. Stir rapidly in one circular motion to make a whirl pool. Stop stirring and immediately pour in water / lemon mix in a steady stream. Allow to sit 5 minuets, gently stir once or twice in the same circular motion. Turn off heat and allow it to sit another 10 minutes. Gently ladle into a large, small holed colander and drain for about 15 minutes. Tilt the colander to one side and let it sit in that position every few minutes.

Seperately, bring to a boil in a sauce pot, reduce heat and cover, simmer 10 minutes;
    1 1/2 c. water
    1/2 c. raw cashew pieces
    Pour into a blender (works best) or food processor and run on high scraping sides once or twice if necessary until very smooth. Return to a sauce pot and return to a slow boil then reduce heat to lowest setting.
    Seperately mix together in a small bowl then pour into pot slowly, mixing constantly until disolved, for about 2 minutes;
    4 T. agar flakes or 3 3/4 t. agar powder
    4 T. nutritional yeast flakes
    1/4 t. white pepper
    1/2 t. salt
    1/2 t. onion powder
    1 T. fresh chopped dill weed
    Continue to simmer stirring frequently until agar is dissolved and liquid starts to thicken, about 2 minutes.
    Seperately mix together then add;
    2 T. cornstarch
    1/4 c. cold water
    1T. white wine
    Continue to whip over medium heat for another 1 - 2 minutes.
    Add tofu and whip until smooth. Pour into a plastic tub. Refrigerate until totally chilled, about 4 to 6 hours. (Using a wider shallow tub. allows faster cooling)
    Dan

Hi there! I just wanted to mention that you don't *have* to spend lots of money on a tofu kit if you don't want to -- you can use anything as a tofu mold, as long as it has holes in it for drainage, and a lid that can fit inside the mold to squish down the curds.

Aside from the tofu mold, the only special things you need are...
    1) A cloth to place inside the tofu mold. Cheese cloth would work. The cloth I use is just a plain woven cotton fabric, similar to a cloth handkerchief.
    2) Soybeans. My health food store (in the US) sells them for $.99/lb. I prefer to buy the Laura brand soybeans online, though I'm not sure that the farmer ships internationally.
    3) A tofu coagulant. I use nigari bought here. Notice that they also sell gypsum. I'm pretty sure that this company will ship outside the US.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

The first time I made tofu, I found this site extremely helpful. Her step by step instructions include PHOTOS!!!

Dreamer

I looked and i looked for an automatic tofu making machine. I didn't find one. I did however find a soyamilk maker:

I found it on Amazon. Click here.

It has excellent reviews as well.