Thread: Clinique products

Default Clinique products

Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations of which clinique products are vegan. I'm doing this because my friends keep asking me what cosmetics and perfumes i want for christmas and i don't know what to tell them (this resulted in an unfortunate incident where one of my friends spent a lot of money at the body shop where she'd been assured by one of the consultants that everything was vegan, i still haven't got the heart to tell her...) i've heard that clinique has quite a few vegan products as well as clarins and estee lauder.

What i really need is vegan products that my mates can buy from boots, they don't know what to look for online and I feel really bad for making things awkward for them. I've emailed clinique and all i got back was an email saying i had to pick a product in particular and they'd get in touch with the lab.

Anyway thanks in advance for any help you give,
    Merry Christmas
    Sarah

Default Re: Clinique products.

Do you have an origins? Their stuff is vegan...but I don't know if that is over in the UK.
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

I wouldn't have thought any of clinique products are vegan.
    How about Barry M cosmetics available at most superdrug:

http://www.barrym.co.uk/

They state which of their products are vegan and which are not in the animal friendly bit and they have a store locator.
    Silent but deadly :p

hi assilembob and hemlock.

Assilembob, I don't think we have origins stuff in the uk but thanks anyway.

Hemlock, I read on PETA2 that clinique's happy perfume was vegan and i've read that some of their products are as well, i've got quite a bit of barry m stuff actually, but only nail varnish and lipliners, i think that's all that's vegan. Thanks anyway.

Thanks for both of your help,
    Merry Christmas!

Maybe you can ask for a gift card to Boots instead so you can pick it up yourself?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Hi tigerlily,

Thanks for your reply, thats a really good idea but when i asked my friends they looked horrified and said they couldn't give me a gift voucher for christmas! heehee. i've directed them towards original source because thats all i really know of that you can buy in the supermarket so i have a feeling i'll spend the first 4 months of 2006 smelling like a fruit basket heehee.

Thanks again for the idea
    Sarah

Quote Sazzy
    hi assilembob and hemlock.

Assilembob, I don't think we have origins stuff in the uk but thanks anyway.

Hemlock, I read on PETA2 that clinique's happy perfume was vegan and i've read that some of their products are as well, i've got quite a bit of barry m stuff actually, but only nail varnish and lipliners, i think that's all that's vegan. Thanks anyway.

Thanks for both of your help,
    Merry Christmas!
    The Barry M site tells you exactly which of their products is and isn't vegan
    All their products are vegetarian and a couple have honey by-products in such as the mascara.
    I don't trust clinique at all because if their company had an animal friendly policy they wouldn't make it so hard for their customers to find out which of their products if any are vegan!!!

Hi Hemlock,

Thanks for the reply, i've looked on the barry m site but unfortunately there's nothing on there thats vegan that i don't already have a million of! heehee. I have to agree with you about clinique, i had heard that a lot of their stuff was vegan and that they were happy to provide lists but obviously i heard wrong (i read it mostly on american boards so maybe the american clinique staff are more helpful). you would think that if most of your stuff was vegan then you'd market it that way!
    Anyway thanks to everyone for all of their help, i really appreciate it.

Merry Christmas
    Sarah

Yogini

As for Origins, last time I checked the mascara I used to love still had beeswax in it, so I'd double check on their being vegan.

VeganLiz

I would recommend lush for vegan body products. they are all clearly marked with a green dot. Mind you some of the shops forget to put the dots on so best to check in the in-store newspapers or ask an assistant. I take it there is a lush shop in liverpool? My favourite products are the chocolate fresh face mask, "happy hippy" grapefruit body gel and the "veganese" lemon conditioner.

I have used some origins stuff and aveda stuff before but although I scanned the ingredients there is no clear way of telling! Some of the Barry m stuff is really good especially their sparkly eyeshadows.

Have fun shopping....

Liz X

Quote Hemlock
    I don't trust clinique at all because if their company had an animal friendly policy they wouldn't make it so hard for their customers to find out which of their products if any are vegan!!!
    That's what I've just been worrying about. I've been looking at various websites trying to figure out if ANY of my Christmas make-up/face wash/shower gel type things are vegan and it's not easy. I have emailed all the companies but haven't heard anything yet and am slightly sceptical that if I have to go to those extremes then it's not looking good.

I'm still hoping that some Clinique products are accidentally vegan, and with all this vegan attention that they will acquire an animal friendly policy.

I got a MAC eye shadow stick from my sister. Are MAC evil?

If anyone's interested, this is the response I got:

With regards to your query, I wish to advise that Clinique Laboratories,
    Inc. does not test
    products on animals, nor do we ask others to conduct animal testing on our
    behalf.

Furthermore, very few animal derived raw materials are found in Clinique
    products. Animal
    ingredients are used only when their efficacy cannot be duplicated by any
    other source of
    ingredients. When an ingredient can be obtained from either animals or
    plants, we use the
    plant derived material.

As you may know, our product line is quite extensive. Therefore, in order
    to respond to your
    inquiry, we need to know the exact name and shade (if applicable) of the
    product(s) which
    you use or would be interested in using. We will then consult our
    laboratories and share our
    findings with you.
    It's ridiculous that they don't just have a list that they can send people, but I thought it was nice of them to take me seriously.

that's quite a comprehensive reply. better than some companies give. i've never heard of MAC so i don't know if they're ok or not.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla
    i've never heard of MAC
    That doesn't bode well They're probably SO unvegan that no vegans have ever heard of them.

I love your signature quote Gorilla, if I haven't said that already somewhere else.

I have used some origins stuff and aveda stuff before but although I scanned the ingredients there is no clear way of telling! Some of the Barry m stuff is really good especially their sparkly eyeshadows.

Have fun shopping....

Liz X
    I use Aveda- It's quite expensive but lovely. I emailed them a not so long back and they sent me the following as the shop assistants aren't all that sure-

Dear Sam,
    Thank you for visiting the Aveda website.
    We appreciate you contacting us with your concern and hope this will help you. We do have a small assortment of products that are made with beeswax and honey. While our goal, as a company is to use 100% plant and flower ingredients, we have not found substitutes for these ingredients at this time.
    You will find these ingredients in the following products.
    Beeswax:
    Lip Shine (all shades)
    Lip Saver SPF15
    Lip Tints
    Pure-Fume Candles
    onecolor PLUS TWO
    eye liner MINUS PETRO WAXES
    lip liner MINUS PETRO WAXES
    mascara PLUS ROSE
    Uruku Lip Pigment
    Lip Color Concentrate
    Lip Color Sheer
    Plant Wax Soft Wax Hair Removal Formula
    Plant Wax Hard Wax Hair Removal Formula conceal PLUS PROTECT / discontinued
    lip satin PLUS URUKU / discontinued
    lip sheer PLUS URUKU / discontinued
    lip sheer PLUS FRESH ESSENCE / discontinued
    lip liner PLUS URUKU / discontinued
    Fulfillment Chakra IV Solid Pure-Fume / discontinued lip gloss MINUS LANOLIN / discontinued
    professional soft wax
    professional hard wax
    Honey:
    Phomollient
    Sap Moss Nourishing Concentrate
    Light Elements Mist Wax
    Pure Abundance Volumizing Clay Conditioner Pure Abundance Volumizing Shampoo Pure Abundance Volumizing Hairspray Volumizing Tonic
    Please do not hesitate to contact us again should you need further assistance.
    For a greener planet,
    Myrriah
    Aveda Web Relations

Thank you so much for posting that LittleMissVegan!

I have just started using Aveda products and I have fallen in love with them! It's nice to see that they are a mostly vegan company, providing quality and mostly chemical-free products that are good for us and the environment.

You're right - they are a little costly, so I consider Aveda products one of my personal luxuries

that's great about aveda. thanks

i emailed mac not too long ago and here was the reply- i found it rather cold. could be me. it would be so nice just for them to list out the products- couldn't be that difficult.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in M.A.C.

Very few animal derived raw materials are found in MAC products. Animal
    other source of ingredients. When an ingredient can be obtained from
    either animals or plants, we use the plant derived material.

We would ask that you reply with the specific names and shades of the
    products you would be interested in using so that we may share our findings
    with you.

We hope that we have the opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Sincerely,

Suzanne Sheridan
    Global Consumer Communications

Screw that!

They don't sound very vegan friendly at all. Plus all of their makeups probably contain harmful chemicals anyway. If you can afford Aveda, maybe you can look at their makeups. They have some very nice shades. I recently purchased their "Mosscara" mascara - it's vegan and it works beautifully.

aveda stuff smells so good - sorry to get off the clinique topic

Yes it does. Anyway, back to Clinique. I used to use their products a while back and found them to be very harsh on my skin.

Quote Roxy
    Thank you so much for posting that LittleMissVegan!

I have just started using Aveda products and I have fallen in love with them! It's nice to see that they are a mostly vegan company, providing quality and mostly chemical-free products that are good for us and the environment.

You're right - they are a little costly, so I consider Aveda products one of my personal luxuries
    Hey a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do LOL. Aveda are fab I love them!! I've sent the list to my boyfriend I'm just praying he takes the hint LOL!!!!

Quote mophoto
    that's great about aveda. thanks

i emailed mac not too long ago and here was the reply- i found it rather cold. could be me. it would be so nice just for them to list out the products- couldn't be that difficult.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in M.A.C.

Very few animal derived raw materials are found in MAC products. Animal
    other source of ingredients. When an ingredient can be obtained from
    either animals or plants, we use the plant derived material.

We would ask that you reply with the specific names and shades of the
    products you would be interested in using so that we may share our findings
    with you.

We hope that we have the opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Sincerely,

Suzanne Sheridan
    Global Consumer Communications
    I've had the same experience with writing to MAC. It seems like really bad business sense for them to be so unhelpful to potential customers. I buy makeup products from Origins and Aveda now and have been really satisified with both. Neither company does animal testing, and almost all of their products are are vegan.

Thanks for telling me about Aveda. I belive a shop downtown sells their stuff.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote TracyK
    I've had the same experience with writing to MAC. It seems like really bad business sense for them to be so unhelpful to potential customers. I buy makeup products from Origins and Aveda now and have been really satisified with both. Neither company does animal testing, and almost all of their products are are vegan.
    Thanks for the tip about Origins TracyK. I had a look at their website, and it seems that I would have to travel all the way downtown to find the nearest store that sells their products. Hmmmmm - maybe it's a good excuse to get myself on the skytrain and have a bit of downtown shopping trip

as far as mascarra at origins: http://www.origins.com/templates/pro...UCT_ID=PROD223

plus I got an email from them in June that said only a few of the lipsticks have beeswax in them...but I don't use lipstick...and this is all recent changes. They were "phasing out" beeswax last year...

~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Yogini

I tried this mascara specifically because it didn't have beeswax. Unfortunately, it sucks. Clumps galore and lashes stuck together. Origins Fringe Benefits is the best masacara ever, but as I said, it still had beeswax last time I checked. However, that may have been over a year ago.

That's great that they're phasing out beeswax. I should contact them and ask about the mascara.

I love full story. Never had clumping but I have like zero eyelashes. They didn't tell me about fringe benifits...I will be asking next time I go in for foundation. The sales lady I use is fabulous.
    On a side note, I have read something about cake mascara recently but am not sure where to find it or how it works. Will be looking into it.

~Mel
    ~Mel

Default Re: Clinique products

I got my email back from clinique.

-Superbalanced Makeup
    -Concealing Stick
    -Colour Surge Lipstick

are vegan

"However, we would confirm that we DO use animal ingredients in the formula
    of Naturally Glossy Mascara."

Cx

VeganLiz

There are loads of websites you can buy make up on such as veganstore. Check at the vegan websites links - lots of new ones there.

I get beauty without cruelty mascara which seems fine.

Must admt though that the bwc tinted mosituriser is very thin so I use aveda's.

Liz X

What shops do you english ladies buy your aveda products from? because i havent been able to find any I dont really wear make up but i am starting work soon and i would like to make a bit of an effort so the general public dont get a shock

Quote puffin
    What shops do you english ladies buy your aveda products from? because i havent been able to find any I dont really wear make up but i am starting work soon and i would like to make a bit of an effort so the general public dont get a shock
    Where I live there is a huge Debenhams with make up counters and there is an Aveda Counter there. Otherwise there seem to be a couple of shops scattered her and there. I think if you go on their website it will tell you your nearest x

Vegan Liz- What kind of coverage does the Aveda Foundation give? I've got scars on my cheeks so I am desperately trying to find something that will cover them up without looking like I have piled make up on!! And I can't find vegan camaflague make up anywhere!

Sam x

Quote LittleMissVegan
    Where I live there is a huge Debenhams with make up counters and there is an Aveda Counter there. Otherwise there seem to be a couple of shops scattered her and there. I think if you go on their website it will tell you your nearest x

Vegan Liz- What kind of coverage does the Aveda Foundation give? I've got scars on my cheeks so I am desperately trying to find something that will cover them up without looking like I have piled make up on!! And I can't find vegan camaflague make up anywhere!

Sam x
    I've seen a sight for camoflage make-up that's vegan. It's a theatrical makeup company. I just can't remember the name offhand but it's UK based and I'm sure it's on google. I found it whilst looking for Barry M products and the whole range is vegan I'm sure. I'll have a look and if i find it again I'll let you know!

Aw thanks Hemlock I'll have a nosey on google tomorrow aswell!

VeganLiz

Puffin - I am lucky because they have an aveda shop in brighton that I go to. However, you live in Cambridgeshire. Do you get into Cambridge? I lived there several years ago and although i don't know if there is aveda stuff there I used to go to a great natural food shop between the round church and halfords (I think) It also sells BWC make-up (also yummy vegan cinnamon flapjacks). Fingers crossed it is still open...

Little Miss Vegan - the tinted moisturiser from aveda is really good quality. howeer you may wish to use a foundation instead from there. I also use their inner lights concealer if i have any spots/blotches to cover up...

Hope that helps...

Liz X

Quote VeganLiz
    Must admt though that the bwc tinted mosituriser is very thin so I use aveda's.
    Sounds like you are after a foundation rather than a moisturiser.

Kiss My Face do a more covering tinted moisturiser than BWC, if that's what you're after, but it's a little pricey and I had to order it from veganstore.co.uk.

At the moment I have a BWC tinted moisturiser, a BWC foundation and the Kiss My Face moisturiser, and I blend them according to the weather and how blotchy I am

I don't use Aveda any more because I've had consistently bad advice from the assistants (like when I've asked what's vegan they've always said "everything" and I've then had to point out all the beeswax and stuff to them, then they never apologise for being misleading, just look blankly at me )

Thank you veganliz and littleMissVegan. We dont have a Debenhams here but i shall have a look on there website