Thread: Heartburn

Default natural remedies for heartburn?

does anyone know any natural remedies for heartburn? my sister has very bad heartburn unless she takes a very expensive medicine for it and we cant afford it anymore.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Well I have just searched on Google and come up with this . Don't know if any of this will help.

thats what i found too thanx.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I know my mother cooks with cumin sometimes when she is making something that will give her heartburn or indigestion.

Do any foods trigger heartburn for your sister? She could try cooking with cumin. It's a tasty spice in salads and tomato-ish dishes.

A spoonful of vinegar. Heartburn is supposedly caused by a lack of acid, not too much, so vinegar will add some acidity to your stomach to help it digest foods, though regulating your stomachs natural enzyme production is important in the long term it it's a common occurance.

fennel teabags work best for me (even converted my husband onto them) or peppermint bags come a close second - not expensive from supermarkets or health stores.

Default Heartburn

Over the last couple of weeks I have been having acid reflux so bad! I have been taking meds for it but I am still suffering. Does anyone have any home remedies or some meds they can suggest that I can get from the store? It would be a great help! Thanks!

Default Re: Heartburn

Try peppermint or Lavender tea or use both.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

i find fennel tea helps with digestive problems, and aloe vera juice is supposed to be quite good too. i've seen aloe vera tablets for excess acid in health food shops which i think are vegan.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Thank you both, I will try the teas.

I don't mean to impose, but I noticed on the what you ate today thread that you barely ate enough to be classified a meal. Is that because you don't feel well?

It is. I really have no deserve to eat. I wouldn't have eaten anything today if I didnt have to, but I forced myself too. It hurts to swallow. I know I have read that not eating enough can cause heartburn because the acid in your stomach starts working on differcent areas, so I know I need to eat more, I just don't feel like it. To top it off, I now have a cough. A few people in my family have colds, so I think I am getting one.

I should be careful with the peppermint because some people find it makes heartburn worse (see http://www.hon.ch/News/HSN/512418.html for a discussion of this problem), although it's good for digestive problems generally.

When do you get heartburn, during the day or at night? If it's at night, you may find that eating dinner earlier helps. Also, using an extra pillow may ease it.

I used to get heartburn quite a lot at one point but since I've lost some weight it seems to have stopped (touch wood). Not sure if the two things are connected though.

i agree with gorilla - i find fennel tea helps me. also you could try ginger tea which helps with digestive probs and upset tummies; just pop two or three slices of fresh root ginger in a mug and add boiling water.

hope you feel better soon.

Well good news is I think my heartburn is gone, bad news, I now have a cough. I rather have a cough then heartburn. I never eat before bed and I use about 3 pillows to keep my head up.

I cant get rid of this cough myself.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

I have acid reflux/heartburn and the A#1 thing that helped me almost eliminate the symptoms was to get off soy. Not all soy--just the un-fermented stuff. The TVP, tofu, etc. Tempeh and miso are OK in limitations.

The other big acid reflux/heartburn no-no's--dark chocolate (since we have to eat it dark=vegan), coffee/all caffeine, no drinking through straws, no fizzy soda/pop, no ginger, no mint, no tumeric (they relax that "valve" at the top of the stomach), no excessive fat after about 3pm (or so) and the famous no eating 2 hours before bedtime.

All the rules help, but I can't stress enough how getting off the darned soy helped almost eliminate the problem altogether.
    Non-violence begins on your plate.

Default Can veganism cause heartburn?

Hi everyone.

I went vegan about two months ago. As an omni and as a lacto-ovo, I never had much trouble with heartburn, even though my favorite foods (tomatoes, orange juice, onions, vinegar) are the "bad" foods. I don't smoke or drink, am not overweight, don't use caffine and rarely eat chocolate or fried foods.

About 2 weeks ago I suddenly started getting heartburn. Can veganism cause this? What can I do without giving up my favorite foods? I'm eating smaller meals more frequently and trying to drink more water. Any other suggustions?

i used to get terrible heartburn; i found that when i quit drinking alcohol, all my heartburn went away. i can eat anything now. weird.

Does anyone think an increase in fake dairy products could cause heartburn? Specifically vegan cream cheese on a toasted bagel with tomato slices? I have been getting heartburn a few times this past week or two and I've been eating way cream cheese. My tomato intake isn't that high, no more than regular, so I don't know if that could be it...even though tomatoes are often a trigger food for people. I didn't have a heartburn problem before.

Oh, and I tried that vinegar trick. Oh my God. Unless you want to spend the rest of the day in agonizing pain, I don't recommend it. It made my heart burn go from a slight annoyance to OMG-I-think-I'm-dying type of pain.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Default Re: natural remedies for heartburn?

Quote foxytina_69 View Post
    does anyone know any natural remedies for heartburn? my sister has very bad heartburn unless she takes a very expensive medicine for it and we cant afford it anymore.
    Does she smoke, drink alcohol or take prescription medications? Smoking, drinking and many prescription medications can cause heartburn, as can strong tea and coffee, and rich fatty food. Cheese is a common culprit.
    I am sorry to hear your sister is suffering, maybe you can find out what is causing the heartburn and get her to remove it. Replace tea and coffee with peppermint tea. Ask her to keep a food diary and compare it with when she gets heartburn.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Peppermint isn't good for heartburn. All the sites I've found about heartburn say you should avoid peppermint and peppermint is on the "avoid" list for heartburn sufferers. I know for myself, peppermint tea gives me heartburn more than regular tea or coffee.

How odd. This is not my own experience or info from my herbal lore books.
    Maybe foxytina's sister could try it and see. Its not going to do her any harm.
    If she does not find it useful she should leave it.
    I am editing this to say I found this site which recommends peppermint for indigestion but says if the indigestion is due to reflux disorder pepermint should not be used.
    http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsHerbs/Peppermintch.html
    so maybe this is the source of our disagreement TL.

Mahk

Two things I'd like to add. Normal Tums are vegan! The main ingredient is calcium carbonate, mined from the Earth, and can also be taken as a calcium supplement. This from Tums' FAQ page:

"Does TUMS® contain animal by-products?

TUMS® do not contain animal by-products, with the exception of our Sugar Free tablets, which have calcium stearate. Calcium stearate is used as a conditioning agent in certain food and pharmaceutical products and is derived from a bovine (cow) source.

Additionally, TUMS® EX Fresh Blends contain animal derivatives in that the vanilla flavor contains butter esters derived from cow butter; the peach flavor contains ingredients derived from milk; and the strawberry flavor contains beeswax absolute derived from beeswax."

And as long as we're passing along unproven natural remedies, here is the one I made up myself (and it works for me): Have you ever burped and you can taste whatever was in your last meal? (gross, I know) That's because in addition to gas, some of your stomach acid has risen up your throat to your taste buds. When the acid falls beck down and gets trapped above your stomach, in your esophagus, it eats away at this unprotected flesh and is what we call "heartburn". But even when you don't "taste" anything, each burp may have allowed a small amount of acid to escape to the lower section of your esophagus. The burning is not immediate, so you don't associate the later heartburn as being from the burp.

So here is how I prevent heartburn. After every burp, regardless of size, I immediately take a couple sips of water. Any drink will do really (except vinegar, ouch Tigerlily, that hurt just reading about it ). If you have no drink present, at the very least swallow some saliva for the interim and make your way to so some drinking water, stat. Note: this won't correct a current attack of heartburn, it only prevents it from reoccurring in the future.

If you get heartburn often, it can lead to a much more dangerous condition, and you should seek out a real doctor.

Quote herbwormwood View Post
    How odd. This is not my own experience or info from my herbal lore books.
    Maybe foxytina's sister could try it and see. Its not going to do her any harm.
    If she does not find it useful she should leave it.
    I am editing this to say I found this site which recommends peppermint for indigestion but says if the indigestion is due to reflux disorder pepermint should not be used.
    http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsHerbs/Peppermintch.html
    so maybe this is the source of our disagreement TL.
    Actually, it could do her harm by making her heartburn worse and more painful. Or at least for me, more pain is harmful, even if it's only for a day.

Fair enough TL, I am sure Foxytina will not be recommending her sister drinks peppermint tea now since your careful suggestions.
    However I still think she should look at what might be causing the heartburn. My list of possible causes still stands. Smoking, drinking alcohol and many prescription medications can cause heartburn, as can strong tea and coffee, and rich fatty food. Even tinned soup like tinned tomato soup. Cheese is a common culprit. Also I might add that overeating can cause it, when someone eats until they feel really really full.
    The best remedy for any condition which may have a lifestyle cause is to consider the cause. If it could be caused by a prescription drug this should be discussed with the person prescribing the drug of course before taking any action because an alternative may be available or there may be some extra precautions to follow. For example some medicatiions need to be taken with food. And many medications can't be just stopped, this could be unsafe.

I've been suffering really agonising heartburn and indigestion pains for a few weeks now Someone recommended taking aloe vera juice before meals and, after only a week of doing this, I already feel much better...
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

Has it been making your bowels looser? I got a book on alternative cures and aloe vera was recommended for heartburn but they also recommended aloe vera for constipation relief (around the same amount for both problems).

I found that cranberry juice causes heartburn in some people and I was drinking a lot of cranberry juice (1-2 cups a day) for a while. I stopped drinking so much cranberry juice and just took 1 antacid and I haven't had heartburn since. Hopefully it will stay this way!

Default Vegan and Heartburn

I have been vegan for 3 years going on 4 and it seems like my heartburn is just getting worse. I, like most vegans, cook on a regular basis. I DO use a lot of spices, but I really know no other way on a vegan diet. My mother had Gerd but I have not been diagnosed with it. Does anyone know any recipes or replacements for such high acidic foods such as onion or garlic? Also, i have a small (underestimated) obsession with hummous. I know this is terrible for my chest but any ideas for less garlicy foods?
    Last edited by Korn; Jun 4th, 2010 at 01:37 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Vegan and Heartburn

Quote 3oranges1pear View Post
    I have been vegan for 3 years going on 4 and it seems like my heartburn is just getting worse. I, like most vegans, cook on a regular basis. I DO use a lot of spices, but I really know no other way on a vegan diet. My mother had Gerd but I have not been diagnosed with it. Does anyone know any recipes or replacements for such high acidic foods such as onion or garlic? Also, i have a small (underestimated) obsession with hummous. I know this is terrible for my chest but any ideas for less garlicy foods?

Poor you - turning Vegan totally sorted my heartburn - I was on tons of gastric tablets before, that said garlic is the one thing I still cannot eat - at all! Maybe you should go to the doctor to rule out Gerd ...or stomach ulcer or something. I just cook as normal but add extra herbs and seasoning in to compensate for the lack of garlic - have you tried dried onion as a seasoning, its easier on the stomach than fresh onion. Hope that makes sense ! CurrantCottage

patientia

Ouch! I have terrible heartburn and acid reflux every spring and autumn. I can't sleep and antacids aren't helping, just proton pump inhibitors which cause some adverse events. I know I have to undergo gastroscopy, but I'm always delaying it...

Spices are not a problem for me. When I have reflux, raw onions and mandarin oranges are the most problematic foods. Chili and lemon juice seem to calm my stomach.

Quote patientia View Post
    Ouch! I have terrible heartburn and acid reflux every spring and autumn. I can't sleep and antacids aren't helping, just proton pump inhibitors which cause some adverse events. I know I have to undergo gastroscopy, but I'm always delaying it...

Spices are not a problem for me. When I have reflux, raw onions and mandarin oranges are the most problematic foods. Chili and lemon juice seem to calm my stomach.
    My doctor used to get so cross with me - I'd keep going back for antacids and different proton pump inhibitors (which do work, but aren't nice!) and she'd always be threatening me with a gastroscopy if I went back again ...fortunately I'm ok 99% now since going vegan (I think dairy was to blame in my case most of the time) and only occasionally have episodes where I need to take a tablet - I used to be on a variety of tablets four times a day! But like you I constantly put off having a tube down the throat - honestly, the mere though to of it terrifies me !

I found peppermint tea made everything worse but Chammomile tea is extremely calming to the stomach. I also had a test for h pylori (which can cause underlying problems like stomach ulcers) which was very non invasive and I had to just breathe into a bag. But do try chammomile tea - peppermint made it worse for me.
    Last edited by CurrantCottage; Jun 4th, 2010 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something ...

powerlifer

heartburn in most cases is actually from low stomach acid, rather than excess stomach acid as most doctors would lead you to believe. They over prescribe ant-acids and proton pump inhibitors which actually make the condition worse long term.

the best tool to use is bitter herbs, they must come in contact with the back of the tongue which is where they stimulate the bitter receptors which in turn stimulates the vagus nerve to release stomach acid, pancreatic enzymes, bile secreation whilst helping cleanse the liver.

Zinc 50mg a day is also a good idea.

patientia

Yes, chamomile is calming, but it can make you vomit if you are already sick. Some antacids contain peppermint, but I don't like it, it irritates my mouth.

Quote patientia View Post
    Yes, chamomile is calming, but it can make you vomit if you are already sick. Some antacids contain peppermint, but I don't like it, it irritates my mouth.
    Oooh thanks for that tip about chammomile making you vomit if you're already sick - I'd no idea and will avoid it if any of us are "sick" ill - yuk, I struggle with vomit anyway as I've got a real phobia about it !

Like you CurrantCottage, I found my indigestion and stomach problems all went away when I became vegan.
    When I was having stomach trouble it didn't really matter what I ate or whether it was spicy or not, I just got heartburn regardless. I think there must be more to it than diet alone.............maybe stress plays a big part in it too.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote sandra View Post
    Like you CurrantCottage, I found my indigestion and stomach problems all went away when I became vegan.
    When I was having stomach trouble it didn't really matter what I ate or whether it was spicy or not, I just got heartburn regardless. I think there must be more to it than diet alone.............maybe stress plays a big part in it too.
    Thats true Sandra - I am an anxious/stressie type of person - now I get worried about something I can feel my stomach start to churn! Currant Cottage

I'm the same, I'm always anxious and my stomach literally 'flips' over when I get stressed and I feel nauseous very quickly.
    I'd love to be one of those people who can go through life feeling carefree and optimistic..............I don't think I will ever be like that though.

Quote sandra View Post
    I'm the same, I'm always anxious and my stomach literally 'flips' over when I get stressed and I feel nauseous very quickly.
    I'd love to be one of those people who can go through life feeling carefree and optimistic..............I don't think I will ever be like that though.
    Sandra - I'm so glad I'm not the only one who struggles like this !!! Mine started years ago when I was really young and I've come to the conclusion that its something I'm always going to have to battle with - so nice to know that you struggle too as none of my family or friends do. Currantcottage

It's not natural, but it is the only thing natural or pharmaceutical that works for me. Generic Zantac from Wal-Mart. I make a few trips to that store each year to get 65 tablets for only about $4.00.

I'm pregnant at the moment and have loads of heartburn. What I find helps me really well is a very small handful of raw almonds, about 10 or so. Almonds are alkaline. An apple helps as well. There are also other alkaline foods which are supposed to help, I found a list somewhere on the internet a while ago, but the almonds worked by far the best.

I agree about the almonds, I've had heartburn since living in Italy for a year. I think I had too much red wine and black coffee, I never had heartburn before that. Anyway I just eat a few almonds and it seems to work.

I have had heartburn all evening (pregnancy related), so am now eating 11 raw almonds. I really hope it works...

ETA: it's now an hour and ten minutes later. The almonds made me feel a bit better for about half an hour but I can't really say they were a success for me. Am now testing out a teaspoon of ginger juice in a glass of water...

ETAA: 25 minutes later and nope! I don't feel so good
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Hope you feel better today Twinkle.
    I was bad with morning sickness (all day sickness with me ) and heartburn with my two children. The heartburn seems to get worse the further into the pregnancy you get. I suppose you've tried the raising the head of the bed up a little? I was advised to do this and although it didn't get rid of the heartburn entirely it did help a little.

Has anyone tried good old bicarbonate of soda?
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

^ I have in a moment of desperation... It was revolting and didn't work particularly well.

Yes, I didn't find it any good either.
    I think when I was pregnant I tried just about every heartburn remedy, but sadly none of them seemed to work that well.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people swear by BoS. I've tried it and it is revolting if you taste it. You have to throw it down and use lukewarm water. It works for me.

However, the best solution I've come across is slippery elm. I went through a phase of having heartburn just about all the time and slippery elm, combined with avoiding acidy foods, more or less cleared it up.

A small amount of warm water (around a whiskey shot sort of amount) and a teaspoon of slippery elm quickly mixed in. It goes unpleasantly gloopy and you have to swallow it in one go.

You get used to the taste but the texture is odd. It sort of coats the lining of your stomach, I think.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln