Thread: Unlikely that my mom will take me to a doctor

Smile Unlikely that my mom will take me to a doctor

I am 17 years old and have been vegan for more than two years. For the first eighteen months I have been fine with no noticeable change in my physical health. over the past six months or so I have noticed some sort of degeneration going on with my body. It started out with being colder than usual but now my bones have been 'popping' more and many joints in my body pop or hurt occasionally. My shoulders have lately been feeling like they are going to become dislocated if I pull on something too hard. Other problems include: mild shaking at times, sometimes having shakes when attempting crunches and push-ups, neck popping (recent), coldness in my extremities, and ....that's about all I can think of.
    I don't take any vitamin supplements because I have been told I should be fine as long as I have a balanced diet. Well my diet, in essence, consists of: brown rice, pasta, some tofu, grape-nuts, some fruit and vegetables, maybe a serving of soy milk every other day, juice when I have it, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, french fries.... that's basically what I eat, but it varies. I haven't been to a doctor in about two years and its not very likely that my mom will take me. Does anyone see something that is potentially life threatening or might cause a long-term health problem if I don't fix it? I would really appreciate any help from a vegan nutrition expert or anyone who knows whats going on with me

Default Re: Unlikely that my mom will take me to a doctor

Hi!
    Unfortunately, this looks like a typical example where going to see a doctor is the only recommendable solution. I'm not a dietician or doctor, but know that vegans may have health problems - just like other people.

I'm also a bit of a B12 fanatic, as you can see in our B12 section. Please read something about which nutrients vegans need to pay most attention to - they are usually different from the nutrients meat eaters often lack. If you can't have your blood levels checked now, I would have taken some B12 right now if I were in your shoes. More later....
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

cobweb

Are you eating enough, regularly enough, and are you drinking plenty of water?. Even mild dehydration can cause shakiness and crunchy bones, because all joints need lubrication.

Quote Korn View Post
    Hi!
    Unfortunately, this looks like a typical example where going to see a doctor is the only recommendable solution. I'm not a dietician or doctor, but know that vegans may have health problems - just like other people.

I'm also a bit of a B12 fanatic, as you can see in our B12 section. Please read something about which nutrients vegans need to pay most attention to - they are usually different from the nutrients meat eaters often lack. If you can't have your blood levels checked now, I would have taken some B12 right now if I were in your shoes. More later....
    I have heard about B12 being a major nutrient that vegans need to watch for and I have heard of many vegans who take a supplement daily. I will read about it

Quote cobweb View Post
    Are you eating enough, regularly enough, and are you drinking plenty of water?. Even mild dehydration can cause shakiness and crunchy bones, because all joints need lubrication.
    as far as i know...yes. I am not sure how much i should be eating or drinking but I eat when I get hungry although sometimes the only food available is crap <.<

cobweb

I just wondered if your shakiness might be going too long without food. Maybe you could keep some Bananas and sunflower or pumpkin seeds handy for snacks?.

If by any chance you're a student, maybe there's a doctor or nurse you could see at your school/college?

It may not be anything serious but probably best to get it checked out if you can. And taking some B12 is probably good insurance.

Ian, I'd also suggest seeing a doctor - what you tell sounds a bit alarming to me. And be sure to have your B12 levels tested - a B12 deficiency is not to be taken lightly.

Wish that it all works out!

Best regards,
    Andy

Aside from agreeing with the others who suggest it's wisest to visit a doctor, why don't you try tracking your food intake for a week with an internet program like nutritiondata.com? You input every food you eat, and then you get a breakdown of how many calories you consume, how much protein, fat, vitamins, minerals, etc. It's very useful and informative - I've used it in the past to see how well I do on a day-to-day basis. But if you track your eating habits for a week, you might notice some nutritional holes in your diet. B12 seems likely, as well as calcium. And like cobweb said, sometimes insufficient calories or going long stretches without food can cause shakiness/blood sugar dips.
    www.happy-vegan.com

I also definitely think you need to take some B12. Other things you need to be sure that you are including in your diet are: Iodine - probably best to take a supplement unless you eat a lot of seaweed although strawberries and onions contain some iodine and in the UK a lot of the tinned pastas are fortified with iodine. Omega 3 - I get this from flax seeds - either seeds or oil. Iron - make sure you eat lots of leafy green veg. Calcium - I get mine from fortified soya milk and orange juice that has been fortified. Other than this advice - I am not a nutitionist so like everyone else I think you should probably see a doctor but I get shakiness if if leave it too long inbetween eating because I am very sensitive to dips in my blood sugar. I hope you sort this out and feel better soon

Quote cobweb View Post
    I just wondered if your shakiness might be going too long without food. Maybe you could keep some Bananas and sunflower or pumpkin seeds handy for snacks?.
    is really lame but I kinda don't have the money to be the healthy vegan I want to be =/ I usually have to worry about food. I love fruit...my mom buys like five bananas per week...... I can't wait til I get a job... IF I can find one =/

Quote harpy View Post
    If by any chance you're a student, maybe there's a doctor or nurse you could see at your school/college?

It may not be anything serious but probably best to get it checked out if you can. And taking some B12 is probably good insurance.
    Nope. I live at home w/ parents and go to high school =/
    It should be easy for me to get to the doctor but I have shitty state insurance and my parents are always at work. I ask repeatedly to see a doctor or dentist and I always get no as an answer.
    But I am going to order some multi-vitamins w/ B-12 this week

Quote Andy_T View Post
    Ian, I'd also suggest seeing a doctor - what you tell sounds a bit alarming to me. And be sure to have your B12 levels tested - a B12 deficiency is not to be taken lightly.

Wish that it all works out!

Best regards,
    Andy
    I am going to try to see a doctor soon...

Quote Allysia View Post
    Aside from agreeing with the others who suggest it's wisest to visit a doctor, why don't you try tracking your food intake for a week with an internet program like nutritiondata.com? You input every food you eat, and then you get a breakdown of how many calories you consume, how much protein, fat, vitamins, minerals, etc. It's very useful and informative - I've used it in the past to see how well I do on a day-to-day basis. But if you track your eating habits for a week, you might notice some nutritional holes in your diet. B12 seems likely, as well as calcium. And like cobweb said, sometimes insufficient calories or going long stretches without food can cause shakiness/blood sugar dips.
    I will have to do this when I can =]

Quote ianhallluvsu View Post
    ... I ask repeatedly to see a doctor or dentist and I always get no as an answer.
    I'm sorry to hear about your trouble with your parents. Is there any way you could get a lift with a friend or relative, or take public transport?

I'm also sorry to hear about your food situation, it sounds tough to be having to worry about food like that

If you feel like you're not getting enough fresh stuff a cheap and easy way to help is to sprout brown/green lentils which you can then have raw in sandwiches or cooked in stir fries. You could also see if anyone has any fruit trees that need picking, maybe you could do that in exchange for some of the produce?
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote ianhallluvsu View Post
    But I am going to order some multi-vitamins w/ B-12 this week
    Good. I'm all for getting your nutrients straight from the food, but I think every vegan should take b-12.
    Blake said that the body was the soul's prison unless the five senses are fully developed and open. He considered the senses the 'windows of the soul