Thread: Bingeing

prilly-pie

Default Bingeing

Please help. all advice needed, ive read every book on the market, which all seem good in theory but putting them into practise is hell. I cannot stop bingeing on bread, sweets, cereal and such like. imputting on weight and feel so ill afterwards.

x

Default Re: Bingeing

It sounds like you have a GI problem.

You need to have a high-fibre, high energy, low GI start to the day. Choose a lower sugar version of branflakes, and add sultanas and banana, and unsweetened soy milk.

Then have a decent amount of carbs at lunch and dinner, but choose low GI options (wholemeal bread, brown rice, wholemeal pasta, etc).

If you get a craving for sweets, make a smoothie instead, or have a spicy cuppa (yogi liquorice tea is spot on), or a fruit tea.

Fruit generally doesn't give me problems, and I munch small amounts throughout the day. Peeled potatoes (chips, crisps), white bread, biscuits, sweets, all mess me up. The tell tale sign for me is if I get sugar lows or feel tired in the afternoon, then I am eating too much high GI food, and that leads to me craving more high GI foods.

You might need more healthy fats in your diet. Eat nuts, avocados, coconut, oils, nut butters regularly.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

You'll be okay - don't stress too much over it. We're hear to listen.

If you eat sweets, make your own using whole grains or at least half whole grains, non-hydrogenated oils, and wholesome/unrefined sweeteners. Then maybe only have a few available and then give the rest away or freeze them.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

There are different reasons for this and some of them are psychological rather than physical. You might want to discuss the problem with your GP to see if s/he has any ideas.

However, as Rob has indicated it doesn't help if you eat foods that make your blood sugar go up quickly and then drop down, and the foods you mention come into that category.

You may be able to break that cycle by modifying what you eat just a bit - for example, if you have a craving for sweets (which are processed quickly) you could make sure you also eat some raw nuts (which provide energy over a long period) at the same time. I find that this reduces the likelihood of the craving coming back after a few hours. Also you could look at some of the GI tables on the web and find lower GI substitutes for the food you eat (rye bread is better than wheat for example).

Seaside

Ladyaprille, those are the foods that feed candida overgrowth. When a person has too much yeast in the intestinal tract, the yeast can be responsible for making the person crave the foods that feed the yeast. The infection can also make you feel ill. If you have been on a course of antibiotics you may have one, and it is worth it to find out.

I hope you feel better soon.

prilly-pie

thankyou very much.. i have actually eaten low gi, but as soon as the eyes gaze over to what my parents eat(i live at home) im seduced and cant stop as my tastebuds tell me it would be better. will power seems to have diminished. i dont want to go into 2006 with this frame of mind. i want to eat to live and to be healthy with indulgences, but non guilty ones that are healthy for me and my mind.

Are you taking any SSRI's? (a type of depression medicine). They can cause carbohydrate cravings. People have been known to eat a whole loaf of bread in one sitting while on this medicine.

prilly-pie

thanks for that one.. no im not i dont even know what they are.. hmm sorry about the delay. i have been in sweden for xmas!

well, it didnt stop over there either.. perhaps i am doing it bcos i am depressed? dont know what i want in life?

hmph

Hello there ladyaprille - hope you had a nice holiday, food apart?

It is difficult to eat sensibly when you're surrounded by people who are doing otherwise, but maybe you could fortify your resolve a bit by stocking up on some food that is nice but healthy? If you fill up on fruit and veg first you may be a bit less likely to give in to the temptation of other stuff.

If you think you may be depressed it might be worth also talking to your GP to see if you could get some counselling. Mind you if you are 18 it's fairly normal not to know quite what you want in life, I think. Are you a student or what?

sugarmouse

i too, used to do this.to the point of eatin potatoes and bread by the loaf, first thing in the morning.
    im stil not really sure why i did it, although waht eventually stopped me doing it was the changing of mydiet totally.i didnt buy any of the foods i usually got, the ones i binged on or otherwise.,maybe would this workl for you?

Pilaf

Eat more fibrous foods, more whole grains, and drink water to stay full. Also, try to get a little cardio exercise in. It'll boost your metabolism and make you feel less hungry.

I just ate a whole bunch of nuts and chocolate chips together and so now I feel terrible because I'm trying to get in shape. >

prilly-pie

i really want to stop binge eating, eat a wide diet, healthy and energising, tone up and have a new start to 2006. i think january the 1st is going to be my major push. 2005 has been so shoddy with eating habits, happiness and such like... i really want to make an effort to make this year what i want to be. im eighteen for goodness sake. i shouldnt feel like this! ... how about a new thread.. "Babes of 2006" for all of us that want to make something really good of ourselves this year? stick together, but keep the thread upbeat and

Any suggestions?

ConsciousCuisine

ladyaprille, are you really suffering from a binge-eating disorder or are you simply overindulging in things you feel you "shouldn't" eat? Binge-eating disorder is something that needs to be addressed professionally, if you feel you have it. Either way, {hugs} to you and keep posting for support.

I just started a "Healthy Lifestyle Initiative" thread were we can post about taking the best care of ourselves we can!