Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Things meat eaters say and do

Default Re: Silly, false or plain idiotic statements you've heard from non-vegans?

"Humans are at the top of the food chain"

Kinda reminds me of that episode of the Simpsons where the kids at school are shown a pro-meat film with Troy Mclure. They show a food web with man at the top and every other species pointing at him

Default Re: Silly, false or plain idiotic statements you've heard from non-vegans?

it isn't silly or false or idiotic, so i guess it doesn't really belong here.. but people might mumble at me if i was to start a thread so closely related..

the most ANNOYING statement i hear so much is...

'are you allowed <insert food name here>'

ALLOWED

of course i am ALLOWED to, i CHOOSE not to- CHOOSE

it annoys me so much when i get asked this by people, especially when they ask for example 'are you allowed bread?' or 'are you allowed biscuits?' as if ALL bread and ALL biscuits (or whatever) are the same and have the same ingredients.

AAAARRRRRRRRGGHHHHH!!! people are so STUPID!

just had to vent
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

Red face Re: Silly, false or plain idiotic statements you've heard from non-vegans?

I am so glad that everyone feels the same way I do. It's good to have a rant. Do you know what really bugs me? if you ever get ill people say 'thats because you don't eat meat'. I have a friend with really bad eczema, who eats crappy processed food all the time and no veg and drinks loads of milk to help her bones! I told her that she has the eczema because of all the dairy she consumes, and that she should drink enriched soya milk and green veg. She wouln't have it, convinced that milk is gr8.

And yeah, the arguement about you should let children decide. So you are supposed to feed them meat and then when they get old enough explain to them what it really is. That is so hypocritical.

The healthiest baby i've ever seen is vegan, my friends little boy. He is really calm and a happy baby too!!
    'Never eat more than you can lift' - 'Miss Piggy' :p

Haha, my mother was watching judging amy so I caught some of it and her kid becomes a vegetarian (to show the entrance into teenagehood and rebeling against the mother) anyway Amys daughter is wearing a "meat is murder" shirt, and Amy standing in her fully finished kitchen in her business suit all ready for work says "its completely natural to eat meat".
    "Its bad karma to fuck with the stoned"- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Comentary (found on criterion collection)

Quote bulletproof
    of course i am ALLOWED to, i CHOOSE not to- CHOOSE

it annoys me so much when i get asked this by people, especially when they ask for example 'are you allowed bread?' or 'are you allowed biscuits?' as if ALL bread and ALL biscuits (or whatever) are the same and have the same ingredients.

AAAARRRRRRRRGGHHHHH!!! people are so STUPID!
    Yeah I totally agree, that's how I feel too! Also the whole 'it's vegan friendly!' No, it's ANIMAL friendly. Variation on a theme is 'can you have...' 'Well, it depends but most... have... in.'
    '... Oh. I feel so sorry for you.'

Right. It's not an allergy thing you know, it's a personal choice, and really I wouldn't waste your sympathy on me, how about that cow you're munching on? A much more deserving recipient.

xxx

Someone said to me once "Well the animals have to die sometime y'know!"

I very nearly said: "Yes so do we... But do we often die hanging upside down from a meat hook and then have our throats slit and left to bleed to death??"

Sorry...Very graphic, but it's so annoying.

Part of me wishes I had said it.

My sister asked me the other day:

"Do you eat pumpkin?"

I was laughing on the outside but crying on the inside

Quote Neptunes_Girl
    Someone said to me once "Well the animals have to die sometime y'know!"

I very nearly said: "Yes so do we... But do we often die hanging upside down from a meat hook and then have our throats slit and left to bleed to death??"

Sorry...Very graphic, but it's so annoying.

Part of me wishes I had said it.
    Why didn't you? Seriously though. A stupid comment like that deserves a graphic retort.

Talking Re: Silly, false or plain idiotic statements you've heard from non-vegans?

Quote sophia
    Do you know what really bugs me? if you ever get ill people say 'thats because you don't eat meat'.
    I know...people predict al kinds of horrible diseases for us unhealthy vegetarians...lately I've heard a lot of people saying eating too many vegetables is bad for your health, and the liver in particular...WTF???

When someone is ill here (flu, for example) they won't let you eat any fruit/veggies, no the right food for a sick person is pasta (refined flour, empty-of-nutrients, pure carbs only) with vegetable broth (not fresh, the one from a can, consiting mainly of salt and monosodium glutamate) and possibly some processed "fresh" cheese (you know the factory kind that is made up of of all the dairy stuff they weren't able to put in other more serious cheeses plus probably some non dairy animal parts).

And cheese is only rotten (off, infected with funghi) milk anyway. Why do people eat cheese with bits of green and blue funghi in them, but if they have a peace of bread a few days old, that's gone mif and blue they throw it away. So there.

A friend told me that there is no way to survive healthily on a vegetarian diet eating only commercial fruit and veg from the supermarket (because poor in nutrients), the only way would be to grow the veggies yourself.
    While he may have a point there, I think saying NO WAY is going a bit far.
    But most of all what irritated me was the fact that this should be true only for veg*ans. So meat-eaters don't have to grow their own veg? I suppose they get their nutrients from animal flesh (the animals, in turn, have eaten more antibiotics than grass, if it was grass it was COMMERCIAL GRASS FROM THE SUPERMARKET AND NUTRIENT-FREE, and have accumulated more pesticides than any eggplant ever could)
    So there for logical reasoning.

Sorry for the rant but it DOES feel good to let off some steam...and non-veg*n people just don't seem to APPRECIATE my thoughts on the subject....
    Piggy

Quote Imapeach
    My sister asked me the other day:

"Do you eat pumpkin?"

I was laughing on the outside but crying on the inside
    ''are you allowed beetroot?'' urghhhh, stooooooooooopiiiiiiiiiiiid

it actually makes me want to hit things.
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

Quote sophia
    Do you know what really bugs me? if you ever get ill people say 'thats because you don't eat meat'.
    They may have a point there, though. With all the antibiotics that those poor animals get pumped full of, a good portion gets through to you, so keeping bacteria away. For now. And setting us all up for one mother of a bacterial epidemic. But who cares about social health if I can get my steak today.
    No Gods, No Masters.

Indeed, antibiotics (especially with prolonged use) can damage the body's own mechanisms for fighting bacterial infections.

Here's another one: "I tried being a vegetarian once, but I don't like vegetables" (ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Astrocat

" 'Lamb' is not made from lambs"

riiiiiiiight, suuuuure it isn't

"I'm vegetarian but i eat fish, because fish isnt 'meat' to my mind"

Oh ? So what are fishes bodies made of, if not flesh ? leaves ?

My fiance' told me that her boss is a vegetarian, but she eats fish. I said then she's not a vegetarian. Her boss said that she can eat fish cause they swim...she could never eat anything that walks. I said well she still wouldn't be able to eat crab or lobster...I know shrimp have legs...don't know if they walk though
    That was something silly said to me.

"I'm vegetarian but i eat fish, because fish isnt 'meat' to my mind"

Oh ? So what are fishes bodies made of, if not flesh ? leaves ?
    Hmm, yes fish, those strange scaly sea vegetables....

I always say 'fish, is it an animal, vegetable or a mineral?' people often look puzzled....

I always thought the word "seafood" was so odd. I'd consider things like algae and kelp to be seafood!

California! (Here I come, right back where I started from...)

I was listening to the radio this morning, and someone on the station said something that REALLY bugged me. It was something along the lines of "I usually eat vegetarian, no beef, no chicken, just fish. But that's because I won't eat anything that smiles. If it smiles, I won't eat it! (annoying chuckles and laughter)"

UGH!! it seems like he was trying to say that he'd eat anything if he doesn't picture it suffering! (that's rather more difficult with fish...) And perhaps fish don't smile, but I also can't recall the last time a chicken grinned at me. Grrr, some people on the radio.... have to put up with them between songs....

Hmm, yes fish, those strange scaly sea vegetables....
    hahahahahaha! Neptunes_Girl!.....

I’ve gone vegetarian now. I mean, I know I had a sausage roll yesterday, but it's not really meat, is it, y'know? I mean, there's no animal called a 'sausage'.

Our Janine, The Fast Show

greenworlds

Quote moomin
    When people say things like u'l die from not eating meat u just know they r being stubborn. They know they r wrong, because hello as u said u r sittin right there but they just end up spouting out crap and going off the subject just because they dont wana admit they r wrong. And i swear i remember reading somewhere about parts of the bible that says animals are not made 4 us, which they r not ofcourse. I mean jesus christ (literally) the old/new testament which ever 1 it is (as u can tell im not exactly a big bible reader) but i know that it says things like when a woman gives birth she and everything she touches is unclean until a certain time, but get this, if she has a girl its unclean longer.Hard to explain, but read some of the bible cos then ul realise that some of it is actually bullocks. But there r some moral bits lol and included in there is that animals should also be treated fairly. As indeed they r all gods creatures!!
    Hi I'm not sure if anyone else has given this answer as I havn't read all the posts yet. I usually answer to any one that says the bible says animals were put here for our use for food etc...I tell them it says the opposite. In Genesis, in the sixth day 1-26 ( on the first or second page of the bible) it says the fruit bearing seeds across the face of the whole earth are given to us for food. and the green plants are given to all the animals..be it birds, fish, mammels etc.. it says to everything with the breath of life in it that should be ours for food. I have found a lot of english speaking christian do not understand plain lanuage, for some it takes time to unblock what they have previously thought. They argue later on the bibles says it's ok to eat meat ,which it does, I say to them...if you believe in god..wouldn't it be best to live as was first intended as near to the eden diet as possible as it clearly says not even animals should eat animals in the beginning. Food for thought anyway

greenworlds

Quote Cyan
    I went to a "vegetarian" restaurant last night (that it turns out serves beef chicken, fish....) and the waitress says to me, "The honey-dijon dressing is vegan--except it has mayonnaise. But just the tiniest bit."

There are just so many things wrong with that....
    What I find annoying is 'veganism has been around for over sixty yrs now ( in modern times at least) and so many ppl in catering..cooks, restaurant workers, food shops etc etc don't fully understand even the basic principals of veganism. Some even vegetarianism!! I think if they are to work in places that sell food a basic understanding foods should be taught first , surely!!!

Yes, and it would be a lot easier for restaurants to have vegan items on the menu instead og just vegetarian. This way they can also accommondate lacto intolerant people too, and would be able to satisfy 3 different categories of "eaters". Why is this so hard to understand? It's a lot easier than the fat- free and low-carb stuff if you ask me.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Default Re: The most ignorant objection, argument or one liner against your lifestyle

"I didn't make it to the top of the food chain for nothing," overheard by Mr. Artichoke by someone we now fondly refer to as "Food Chain" and laugh hysterically, trying to picture him getting his meals in a way other than going to the grocery store and picking up a package of flesh or pus.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

Default Re: The most ignorant objection, argument or one liner against your lifestyle

From my fellow Christian friends who are trying to show that they accept me anyway: "Well, no one should look down on you for being weak" (as in I'm weak spiritually because I'm vegan).

Then there's "meat is good for you".

And I can't EVER complain about being tired. Even if I only got 4 hours sleep the night before, folks say "Well, of course you are tired dear. You need meat."

Wut evah.

tails4wagging

Classic remark to me was 'You look to well to be a vegan'. This was said by a staff nurse at a hosp, when I was a patient last year.

Seaside

Look Here Cryospark

"But honey's natural"

Quote Seaside
    Look Here Cryospark
    ...and here...
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

I think the best one I heard was promoting vegetarianism denies future livestock at the chance of being born. If people don't buy meat, factory farmers will not breed animals and those "potential animals" will never have a chance to live

An interesting one that I heard was that a large number of small field dwelling animals ( mice ...etc ) get killed by farm machinery in harvesting crops. I think this is true. The person who pointed it out made the case that because of this vegan were still causing animals to be killed for their diets.

The obvious rejoinder( which had no effect...ie the person was a troll ) is that the majority of crops in the US go to feed livestock. The actual amount of crops needed to feed people directly is orders of magnitude less then to feed livestock.

If everyone went vegan a lot fewer crops would raised....A LOT...and a very large number of field animals would be spared.

With lot fewer crops being grown it would also be more economical and practical to come up with ways for harvesting crops without incidental deaths.

The most ignorant objection? I really couldn't say. Too many to count. It's too disgusting to contemplate.

sugarmouse

the all too common one stating that animals would not be alivve if we didnt eat them!!?!? WTF!!!!??/so you re breeding life to destroy it! do you have no morals?!!?
    and the one my boss said to me the other day.'milks natural!!!'were meant to drink it!!

er, yes.the stuff from your mom.just liek calfs are meant to drink the stuff from THEIR mom. i personally would not want a cow feedign off my mamories.no offence blossom, but i dnt think that is natural.at all.so i wont drink yours either

I was told that by being a member of PETA that I would be put on the no fly list. I got the biggest laugh out of that. It still makes me chuckle.

Don't laugh it is true. PETA does advocate eating flies.

tails4wagging

Eh????????

sugarmouse

yeh tht!

Quote tails4wagging
    Eh????????
    I wasn't really sure either. My guess is that it's a joke? I have a bizarro sense of humor, but I didn't get that.
    Veganator, please decipher for us

Quote Roxy
    "But honey's natural"
    I've gotten that too !!

As a child, my mother always told me to be kind to bees as they make honey for us.

Yes mother, for us. Of course.
    How kind of them!

Absolutely. I mean, who ever heard of a bee making honey for itself and the good of its hive? I know I haven't.

Cool Re: The most ignorant objection, argument or one liner against your lifestyle

From my bro who is on the eternal atkin's diet, when I told him I was vegan: "But that's so unhealthy."

Sorry, bro, I have no comment. OK I do.

Let that meat sit in your colon for weeks and weeks causing cancer. Let that excess protein give you gall stones. Continue murdering until you are the only species left on earth (and then what will you eat?? GMO's??)

Incidentally my brother is 6'2" and over 270 lbs and I'm a svelt 5'10" and 152 lbs. Sorry, I can't convert to metric but my BMI is 21 (I think) and he's considered obese. Nothing against obesity but how can one justify that I'm "so unhealthy?"
    Carve a pumpkin, Go to prison! :eek:

'milks natural!!!'were meant to drink it!!
    my friend the other night was trying to tell me that humans need milk and that its for humans to drink - it's like ok. pause. now think about what you just said and how that makes absolutely no sense. it's hard to even debate with things like that bc you can just tell that you arn't going to get very far.

and i also love how the minute you say you're vegan everyone automatically thinks that you cant eat anything and that you can go anywhere out to eat with people bc you wont be able to eat anything. which couldn't be farther from the truth, for the most part i can find things to eat anywhere.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Robin

"But I've seen fat veg*ns so I could just as well continue to eat meat"

Right, because we're like TOTALLY doing it to get skinny.

*sigh*

greenworlds

I've had the frown with "What not even fish". And I was a bit surprized to get the rabbit food comment and the lettuce and carrot comment not so long ago.

California! (Here I come, right back where I started from...)

My mom has made some pretty angry arguments against veganism. She keeps claiming that it's a "political diet," and I kinda wonder what she means by that, exactly. She seems to equate being vegan with being on a hunger strike (probably why she won't let me give up eggs and dairy yet). Also, she's claimed that no one exists who eats just plant-derived foods, and that any smart vegans know that they have to eat animal products every day to live.

But then, my buffoonish stepfather is just plain terrible. He doesn't believe that vegetarians of any kind exist (like, all living people eat red meat or they die). And when I got out of school for the summer, he said, "It's summer! Why would you still want to be vegetarian?! Eat some meat!" Good golly, I just had to rant about him. He doesn't even comprehend what veganism is. But this is the case of an exceptionally ignorant person. I don't hear such idiocy from anyone else I know.

greenworlds

Quote ChocolatBlanc
    My mom has made some pretty angry arguments against veganism. She keeps claiming that it's a "political diet," and I kinda wonder what she means by that, exactly. She seems to equate being vegan with being on a hunger strike (probably why she won't let me give up eggs and dairy yet). Also, she's claimed that no one exists who eats just plant-derived foods, and that any smart vegans know that they have to eat animal products every day to live.
    I am wondering what your age is and what right does your mother have to not allow you to have a healthier diet? Also if you have a computer at home can she not look on this and another sites to see the many vegan sites around?

Kevster

'I don't believe animals have souls.'

I was without polite words to respond to that.

It's gotta be;
    ''What are animals for then?!''
    or
    ''We're breaking the food chain if we don't eat meat!''
    and I had this Dutch guy proclaiming that my even moving I am killing invisible life! Scary!

Some people!

greenworlds

Quote Kevster
    'I don't believe animals have souls.'

I was without polite words to respond to that.
    I think some vegans even think that!

Default Re: Silly/ignorant comments from meat eaters

While out and about in my animal liberation sweater only one person bothered to read and comment on it. What was his comment you ask?? Well he felt the need to inform me that hunting is actually benificial to the animals and all this stuff about how much the hunters have helped the animals. I had nothing to poke back with at the moment so I only listened and he indirectly characterized me as one of the "uniformed" youth. I dunno if he meant it in a positive light or not but it still kinda rattled me.
    "Its bad karma to fuck with the stoned"- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Comentary (found on criterion collection)

greenworlds

Default Re: Silly/ignorant comments from meat eaters

Using that reasoning it could be said war is helping human-beings...can anyone really saying killing is helping anyone whatever the species..unless using some warped logic.