Page 11 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Things meat eaters say and do

Default Re: Silly/ignorant comments from meat eaters

I have been fortunate to not have had any real bad comments about my dietary choices. Perhaps it is part of where I am from (vancouver), but I found that even while in the stereotyped "redneck" places, like Alberta, I have not had a truly negative encounter. I have had people genuinely ask about my diet, but have never been insulted or told my choice was unhealthy, etc. (online though is a different story. I have seen some nasty anti-vegan comments on some forums)

Ooooo another Vancouver person. Welcome to the forum, hyperactiv!

Quote sandra
    Hi Tigerlily, That sort of thing happens to me too, I made a vegan stew the other day and my husband refused to eat it, it really upset me as I thought it was lovely!
    I wish I could try some of your cookies, would you send me the recipe?
    People can be so cruel sometimes, even without meaning to be. It's sad to hear all these stories. My bf is omni and I doubt he will ever change, but he loves my vegan food and always eats everything

My friend and I were talking about veganism today and she was asking about what i eat instead of dairy etc, and i explained that i drink soymilk and have that on cereal instead of calves milk, she was like 'huh? soy milk comes from cows too you know!!"... "Isn't soy milk just cows milk with added soy and stuff?"

DERRR...

FFS. people say the most stupid things.

Angry Re: Silly/ignorant comments from meat eaters

I dunno where to put this, so I'll stick it here...

Today my friend's sister asked me to sponsor her for this race for life, for cancer research, and I of course said no, "I can't I'm a vegan. They test on animals."

She continued to plead with me and I repeatedly said no.

And then, she said "They don't test on animals!"

Me: they do
    Her: No they don't
    Me: Yes they do. You can write to them and ask them!
    Her: Urgh! Is that all you do all day? Write to people and ask if they
    test on animals???

Quote claireyveg
    My friend and I were talking about veganism today and she was asking about what i eat instead of dairy etc, and i explained that i drink soymilk and have that on cereal instead of calves milk, she was like 'huh? soy milk comes from cows too you know!!"... "Isn't soy milk just cows milk with added soy and stuff?"

DERRR...
    heheh, my grandpa's friend from virginia always says the same thing and vehemently defends her idea. she always says: "then why does it say soy milk"
    Peace Love Surf.

re "soy milk"

that is too funny. I had never heard that before. In contrast, I remember some commedian saying something to the effect of "it isn't milk unless it comes out of a teet" wrt soy/almond/rice milks.

I was told the other day that drinking milk or cream helps aching muscles, something to do with lactic acid build up (I kid you not). I was also told we need animal protein in order to build up muscle.... *sigh*

I was arguing recently with a meat-eater about the environmental ethics of veganism, and brought up that the amount of energy lost in the transfer from grain to factory-farmed animals could be harnessed if we simply eliminated the step where we fed it to animals and instead consumed the grain ourselves.

He actually used the first law of thermodynamics against the argument, saying, "Well, there's a law that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, so therefore we're not really losing any energy in the transfer."

Ugh. I had to set him straight on the basics of physics. I still don't think he believes me about the energy pyramid.

My husband knew a girl who told him that there was no reason not to drink milk as it didn't come from cows anymore. She said that there weren't enough cows anymore to produce milk so now it's all made with machines. He corrected her and told her how it's actually done and she was just blown away, she had no idea!!!

I wonder if she got that idea from hearing about milking machines???? I am blown away myself!!!
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Quote Haniska
    I wonder if she got that idea from hearing about milking machines???? I am blown away myself!!!
    That's what I'm thinking lol. At least she didn't try to argue, she just admitted that she was wrong and even laughed at herself.

Quote ravenfire
    My husband knew a girl who told him that there was no reason not to drink milk as it didn't come from cows anymore. She said that there weren't enough cows anymore to produce milk so now it's all made with machines. He corrected her and told her how it's actually done and she was just blown away, she had no idea!!!
    ROFLAMAO!!!!!!!! awww poor girl! bless!

Grrr... went out to dinner with family friends tonight, and the convo went like this
    Friend: So your vegan, oh you don't eat cheese then
    Me: No, no diary, i do eat vegan cheese tho
    Friend: Oh, so you eat feta?
    Me: No, no diary
    Friend: Oh then whats vegan cheese?
    Me: I make it myself, from blah blah blah
    Friend: Yuck

Then my dad was being all degrading and saying stuff like, yeh lambs are cute, but they taste good...
    I just hung my head in disgust, but decided not to pursue it, due it being my dads b'day and all...

yesterday, eating out with a friend who always seemed to think my veganism was a great thing (we were in Paris, and yet it has been hell to find a satisfying vegan option) :

her (after I turned down KFC): we should look for a place that serves salad
    me : I'm way too hungry to only have a salad
    her : so what do you eat then ?
    me : well everything , except animal products
    her : (not being sarcastic) oh sure, you eat pasta too!

we finally settled for a pizzeria.

her (looking doubtfully at my marinara pizza) : I really worry about your health
    me : that's not a great exemple of an healthy and yummy vegan meal but i'm perfectly fine when I cook for myself
    her : but I really can't see what you eat apart from vegetables and fruits !
    me : honey, if all you eat is vegetables, fruits and meat, than you'd better worry about your own health...

[edited for spelling mistakes]
    “People stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.”

do you mean margarita?! I thought marinara was the seafood one... like marina..???

Quote Jamie
    do you mean margarita?! I thought marinara was the seafood one... like marina..???
    Marinara is just a tomato sauce, like pasta with marinara. So basically it was just a pizza with sauce and no cheese.

oh ok! fair enough I guess you would have noticed if it were fishy!

They didn't have anything else to put on your pizza?? What kind of pizzaria was this? Or maybe you like it that way?

I had the same problem with my friend. I had just finished telling him that my fiance was teasing me that I eat so often because I am vegan. In reality anyone who knows me know I like to eat every 3 hr regardless. I'm very hungry
    Anyway later we got "sushi" at Ukrops. Mine was an interesting (and fairly tasty thought not filling)excuse for veg sushi comprised of vegetables wrapped in cabbage. When we got back to his house I cracked into a tupperware that I had brought with me.
    My friend said "I think you fiance may have something about you having to eat every few hours because you are vegan! All you eat is fruits and vegetables!"
    This he said as I was tucking into mac and chreese with hotdogs.(how white trash vegan am I? )

Quote Jamie
    Jamie, it's interesting you brought this up. I was at a "chain" Italian restaurant called Carraba's here in the US a year or so ago, and as Marinara sauce here USUALLY means just tomatos, garlic, onions, and plant based, I ordered it for my pasta. I then mentioned to the waiter I don't eat animal products. He then told me, "then you don't want the Marinara sauce, because it has fish in it". I thought he was joking, and I said "what do you mean, I've never had fish in it before.". He said, (just like you), "Marinara means 'marine-from the sea', and it oftentimes does, like ours do, have fish in it, hence the name.."

Thanks for the reminder to always check when in restaurants, words have different meanings in different places!!

Wow! That is good to know, thanks!

ooh! so I'm not imagining it afterall, that's good to know I wonder if anyone else from this side of the world could tell me if they think it might be a European thing then? (I don't know, I'm really an Australian in a British disguise!)

Hi Jamie, here in Italy "marinara" pizza is ALWAYS just tomatoes, garlic and oregano. Perhaps in other parts of the world people "expect" there to be fish in it so that's why restaurants put it in.

it's probably just then because it sounds like marine and so people think it's fish! lol

I've got to admit I thought the same thing Lucky you moving to Oz - where are you moving to? You are moving, right? Or did I just dream that up?

Yet another reason for the for manager to laugh at me.
    "No, there's no fish in the marinara! Haha"
    "I Said it's vegetarian minestrone!"

Of course there is no way for him to know how many veg cans of soup I've picked up with broth in them.

Angry Re: Silly/ignorant comments from meat eaters

I am so upset and angry right now!

My best friend's mother thinks that I manipulated him to become a vegetarian!
    She said If I cared about him I'd take him as he was.
    All I did was open his eyes to the suffering that eating meat causes!!!
    Anyway, if you really care about someone, why would you fill their body with artery clogging crap?!?!

It sounds like she has other issues and that you are the softest target. She maybe also feels that her position as a mother is somehow being "undermined", but this is her problem, not yours. After all, your boyfriend is old enough to make his own decisions, right?! Try not to worry about it - you did the right thing "converting" him. Good on you.

Just had a thought - she has probably realised you are working for the Vegan Secret Police. In that case she has a right to be worried, I've heard their methods are merciless. Brainwashing innocent men into renouncing all animal products. I've heard they're set to take over the world, slipping tofu and blackstrap molasses into everything.

Quote tilly
    I am so upset and angry right now!

Anyway, if you really care about someone, why would you fill their body with artery clogging crap?!?!
    Maybe when she sees how much healthier he becomes Tilly she will change her mind!

Quote Haniska
    Yet another reason for the for manager to laugh at me.
    "No, there's no fish in the marinara! Haha"
    "I Said it's vegetarian minestrone!"

Of course there is no way for him to know how many veg cans of soup I've picked up with broth in them.
    awww well you could maybe just ask what is in it, rather than if it has fish or broth or not, because then hopefully they will let you know when they tell you the ingredients! They might not always know though..!

Maybe when she sees how much healthier he becomes Tilly she will change her mind!
    He's lost over a stone since going vegy (He was overweight to start with) and he's more interested in animal rights now,
    and he's less angry.

She just hates my guts

Ha ha Tilly, you were right and she was wrong! I wish my husband could lose weight, he's vegetarian but can't lose weight, I've told him to go vegan!

Men

Kevster

Quote tilly
    Men
    Ahem

Quote Kevster
    Ahem
    Damn right!

I'm vegan and I'm certainly not losing any weight! and I need to.

As for this men thing.. I'm sure one of them will put in a women thing soon! It's only fair! lol :P

Wink Re: Silly/ignorant comments from meat eaters

'Cept you of course, Kevvy babe.
    You're a perfct specimen of manhood!

Quote tilly
    Hmm, but you do take him as he is (a vegetarian).

If his mum cares about him, she should take him as he is (a vegetarian).

Quote tilly
    Men
    So your best friend, a man, is being dissed for becoming veg by his mother, a woman....

Quote madpogue
    So your best friend, a man, is being dissed for becoming veg by his mother, a woman....
    see I told you it would happen!! I'm psychic.

Quote Jamie
    As for this men thing.. I'm sure one of them will put in a women thing soon! It's only fair! lol :P
    It's like I have ESPN or something.

Come along now boys, it's all meant in good fun!

Quote Jamie
    It's like I have ESPN or something.
    Oh, man, this reminded me (topic creep alert...); did y'all hear about the couple, a few years back, that named their kid "Espn", because they were such big ESPN fans? And no, this was NOT an Onion article.

Do you believe in E.S.P madpogue?

never heard of it MP!

Quote sandra
    Do you believe in E.S.P madpogue?
    I knew you were gonna ask that!

[Rim-shot] Sorry. I dunno. A lot of things happen for reasons we don't really understand, or can't explain in purely mechanical terms. We communicate and understand and "know" things in ways that def'ly aren't verbal (or visual, tactile, etc.). So yeah, I'd call that "extra-sensory". Unfortunately, all the noise we've created in our physical world has blocked these connections so severely, that when such thing do happen, they seem "freaky". JMHO.

[Oh, man, the topic police are coming; act like nothing's happening....]

Yes I agree, there is definately something in E.S.P. A couple of times I have heard someone come in my front door and walk up the hall when I go to look there is no one there, then a couple of minutes later someone like my husband or son actually does come in, just as I'd heard them earlier. Maybe this is a common experience for people, I don't know, but it freaks me out! Have you experienced anything strange, apart that is from this conversation with me ha ha!

princessemma

Sorry to go off the subject but Jamie is that your hamster in the picture?

Could we start an esp thread? That would be totally cool. I warm to the subject.

Good idea Haniska!