Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Things meat eaters say and do

Quote l337_v3g4n_1
    One of my friends was debating with me:
    "the cows are milked because they are cleaning thei're bodies, and getting rid of deseases and such."

I did not reply.
    Ha ha, if your friend thinks that milking a cow rids it's body of diseases, woiuld he/she really want to drinking what's coming out of the cow?

Anyone ever notice that some people could care less about health: they eat junk food, rarely excersize, etc. But, the instant you mention that you're a vegan, they suddenly get health concious? "Oh, but where do you get your protein/calcium?"

Like I should listen to someone who's idea of a well-balanced meal is a bucket of chicken

lmao. Does your friend put 2 and 2 together and realise that she is drinking those so-called "diseases"?

Talking

"he", actually. I just started in a new school, and it's great. The people that know about my veganism don't care, mabe tease me a little, but then again, everyone teases everyone at school, don't they... just today a kid said to me as he found out: (roughly translated) "cool, that's your decision, and I couldn't care less if you were vegan or not. I wish I could do that. So, what substiutes for animal products do you use?"

wow. I'm impressed. really, I am. I mean, all the kids that know about this say nearly the same thing. They tease me the same way that I tease one of my best friends about his size. (ok, it's mean, but he takes it well, and I'm not harrassing him) I wish all people could be so understanding, 'couse this is heaven compared to what I thought would happen.
    People once thought my mother is a nut, but I once thought a nut was my mother! :D

Quote Pembroke
    Ha ha, if your friend thinks that milking a cow rids it's body of diseases, woiuld he/she really want to drinking what's coming out of the cow?

Anyone ever notice that some people could care less about health: they eat junk food, rarely excersize, etc. But, the instant you mention that you're a vegan, they suddenly get health concious? "Oh, but where do you get your protein/calcium?"

Like I should listen to someone who's idea of a well-balanced meal is a bucket of chicken
    I really have noticed that. I always seem to pack healthier lunches for school than my friends, but they still seem to think that my veganism is going to kill me or make my arms fall off, as they sit there, munching away on their meal of a cookie and cheese poofs.

Kevster

Would you like some of this gravy, it's chicken flavoured, but i've used vegetable juice instead of the chicken fat,

Kev

A quick check of the ingredients confirmed the presence of chicken fat already in the granules. The moral of the story here was, if it doesn't look like an animal it can still contain animal products.

Quote propst89
    I really have noticed that. I always seem to pack healthier lunches for school than my friends, but they still seem to think that my veganism is going to kill me or make my arms fall off, as they sit there, munching away on their meal of a cookie and cheese poofs.
    yeah. thei're ideal school lunch: chocolate milk, sandwich with chocolate spread, and then soething for dessert.

that's not very healthy.

my ideal school lunch: fruit, one or two pieces, sandwich with peanut butter and banana or strawberry jam, and fruit juice.

this is defenately healthy! and fruit is just as good as chocolate! (better, mabe?)
    People once thought my mother is a nut, but I once thought a nut was my mother! :D

N Vegan

Quote Peter
    There are some people who spend time surfing on the net trying to attack vegans or who defend killing animals and use of animal products. They often use the same, few "arguments", and frequently visit vegetarian discussion groups.

Here's one I've seen a few times when people are asked why they are not against killing animals: "Death is a natural part of life". Death is a natural part of human life too, but that doesn't justify killing humans (unless you are a murderer with a very twisted mind), does it?
    I find these arguments as to what is "natural" or not to be very difficult to defend. To my mind, being a herbivore is also natural. What would they say to that?

true enough and while they are so caught up eating "naturally" they seem to forget that its not natural for animals to drink milk from another species. Also have they analized there lives lately looked about there not so natural house, did they notice the tv and stereo and cars. Not alot about human lives are natural. but yeah I think in the animal kingdom herbivores are a larger number than carnivors.
    "Its bad karma to fuck with the stoned"- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Comentary (found on criterion collection)

not to mention, it's not exactly natural for animals to be pumped full of growth hormones and anti-biotics o_O

yes, exactly. Some of these omnies are just lying to themselves. I mean I like meat to back in the day, but my taste for meat is far less important than the suffering of the animals.
    "Its bad karma to fuck with the stoned"- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Comentary (found on criterion collection)

I've just this minute had one. My work went out for dinner the other day, arranged whilst I was on hols, and the menu wasn't overly vegan friendly, so I decided not to go. I didn't fancy watching others eating meat and all the questions to. Anyway, somebody just asked me, "couldn't you eat the veggie meal". I replied that I'm not veggie and was then asked "don't you eat vegetables and rice". Oh please.

wuggy

I read a quote the other day from a (crap) British TV presenter - he said "If we weren't meant to eat animals, then why are they made of meat (ha-ha, gwauff)". This 'jokey' little comment made me so mad I destroyed the magazine!

wuggy

By the way, going back to the comments about children earlier, my son, who is 7, is always defending animals. He gets very cross with his best friend for going fishing.
    Also, at school last year, when he was only 6, his teacher was 'teaching' the class about 'nutrition'. She mentioned, in her list of 'healthy' foods, that Chicken and Fish were healthy foods. My son immediately stood up and told the class that these were not healthy options, he didn't eat them, it's disgusting to eat dead animals!! I was so proud of him!!

Well thats awsome wuggy. Well I never thought my sister would be the first person to ask me this but it, she said "how do you know potatos don't feel pain?" I brushed it off because I knew she was not serious, but I never thought she would ask that kind of question.

wuggy

Actually, First Bus, that is a question I have been asked many times on the Pagan website where I posted about Veganism. I found it a bit tricky, but answered that vegetables may feel pain, but are not sentient to the same degree as animals. Personally, and I'm sure many Vegans agree, it does sadden me to see hedges ripped out, or Trees cut down. However, Potatoes, etc, are grown to be eaten, unlike animals which don't grow out of the soil or on a tree - they are born, they live, they feel emotions, love, pain, fear. I think the agument that vegetables feel pain is a last ditch attempt at putting a vegan down, don't you?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to a "vegetarian" restaurant last night (that it turns out serves beef chicken, fish....) and the waitress says to me, "The honey-dijon dressing is vegan--except it has mayonnaise. But just the tiniest bit."

There are just so many things wrong with that....

Well how about this one then
    Being vegan, I don't often eat out, but, as it was a mates 18th, I thought I would make an exception...
    Ok, so I went to this expensive restarant in Great Yarmouth (don't ask!) They do veggie food, not really vegan. I told the waiter the situation and politely asked for just a plain salad... 'NO MEAT/DAIRY PRODUCTS PLEASE!'
    What do I get - the worst looking salad I had ever seen... doused in mayonaise!!! Ewww!
    Needless to say, I went hungry!

An annoying comment I also get (although, you have to feel for them...)
    ''What's vegan?!''

[QUOTE=Liz]What do I get - the worst looking salad I had ever seen... doused in mayonaise!!! Ewww!
    Needless to say, I went hungry!

oh no, how wretched! i always thought there should be a special place in hell for the inventor of mayonnaise. yucky stuff.

Oh man, I've got a whole collection of these beauties:

Can of soup: "Vegetarian!" Ingredients label: "Chicken stock."

Soy cheese package: "Non-dairy!" Ingredients label: "Casein (a skim milk protein[/I]." That's the problem with the "tiny percentages of animal product" items. That chicken is no less dead, whether it's juice or a whole leg of meat. And that male calf is no less penned up as future veal/female calf no less thrust into a life of dairy exploitation, and mother cow no less traumatized, whether a little or a lot of the cheese is dairy-based.

Angry girl on some non-veg-related forum: "I joined this vegetarian group for a while, but they were all rude to me and told me I wasn't a vegetarian because I have fish sometimes! I left. I'm pissed off. Just 'cause I eat fish...I don't care what anyone says, I'm a vegetarian."

From friends and classmates:

[In a very clever, sly tone of voice] "If we're not meant to drink milk, then why do dairy cows lactate even when they're not pregnant? Eh? Eh?!"

"Meat and milk are just natural. No, I don't think it kills you, people have been doing it for all these years."

"There's almond/soy milk in your fridge. I thought you were a vegan!"

"It's dead already anyway. Not eating it won't do any good."

"Can you still have peanut butter/peaches/nuts/salad dressing/cereal/bread/fish/chicken?"

From the ever-supportive family:

Mom: "I don't mind you being a vegan, but I think you should have an egg once in a while for protein."

Dad: "Look at our teeth. They're sharp. They were made for eating meat." No, Daddy, ours are generally much flatter. Remember when we saw that woolly mammoth molar at the science center, and learned it was flat, LIKE OURS, for crushing and grinding leaves? "Uh, our front teeth.." Our hamsters are herbivores who have sharp front teeth, and they use these to crack seeds and cut and tear veggies like ours are for. (This is obviously the most ridiculous, incorrect thing he's ever heard.) "No. That's something completely different."

Dad: "You're starving yourself."
    Stepmom, who as a g.i. lab nurse and low-carb worshipper, is an expert on nutrition: "Have you ever seen any long-term vegetarians? They look anorexic." Telling a teenage girl the way she's eating will make her thinner is definitely not going to deter her.

Also from this wonderful, qualified team of amateur experts: "Soy is bad for you. They've been putting it in more food since the 70s, and it's causing a lot of REALLY WEIRD BAD EVIL growth patterns in young girls. As in they're getting boobs too young and stuff. And, uh, it causes breast cancer." Oh, so the disgusting growth and production hormones pumped en masse into meat cattle and dairy cows, that filter down to us when we eat animal products, can take no blame?

Similar issue: before I went veg, I bribed my little cousins about something or other with the promise of buying them ice cream. I still owe them but now, of course, I can't do that. I have offered to get them some yummy Tofutti pops or something, but I'm always yelled at that I have to buy them "real" ice cream, because quite obviously one soy ice cream bar will deform them immediately. These kids are fed more dairy (namely skim milk, which kids under 5 shouldn't have at all, and they've had it since weaning!) than any human, even omni, should rightly have, and they are sick every time you turn around. Mm-hmm. Soy's gonna kill 'em.

Their unshakeable dairy/nursing fanatic of a mother: "Oh, milk's bad to give your kids, so I bet breastfeeding them is cruelty too, huh?!"

Uber-Christian stepsister: "Ew, you're weird. [Ignores anything I may have to say to this.] No, you're weird." Love you too.

Confused older aunts: "Oh, just try my ice cream. You can't even do it once in a while?" No, it's not a "diet" you can cheat on at whim.

The last six years in summation:
    Dad:
    "I read a book at the chiropractor's office called Don't Drink Your Milk. It made sense. We're the only animals who drink milk past weaning. [Has a few glasses with Nesquik as he tells me this. Forgets that we're also the only ones who drink other species' milk.] Sure, I'll get you some soy milk, I know you're lactose intolerant and milk does some pretty gross things to your stomach. [I become a vegan.] You're out of that soy crap again? Well, too bad--you can use the normal milk I have in the fridge or just wait until I get a chance to take you to the store."

And the classic line:

"You're so worried about animals and stuff, but what about abortion and overpopulation and the starving children of Cambodia and nuclear holocaust and politics and communism and the migration patterns of the Canadian goose and..." Because we can only be concerned about one thing at a time.

wuggy

Slinky Vagabond - yes it is annoying to be asked about all the other worrying issues, but I usually use this line as an excuse to explain how Veganism is a more environmentally and economically sound lifestyle - i.e because feeding animals and eating them adds another link to the foodchain. Then I go on to ask the person what they are doing to help with these issues - that usually shuts them up!!
    I hate it when people ask "if everyone went Vegan, what would happen to all the animals?". Tuh! Like they care!

stupid people piss me off

Quote wuggy
    Actually, First Bus, that is a question I have been asked many times on the Pagan website where I posted about Veganism. I found it a bit tricky, but answered that vegetables may feel pain, but are not sentient to the same degree as animals. Personally, and I'm sure many Vegans agree, it does sadden me to see hedges ripped out, or Trees cut down. However, Potatoes, etc, are grown to be eaten, unlike animals which don't grow out of the soil or on a tree - they are born, they live, they feel emotions, love, pain, fear. I think the agument that vegetables feel pain is a last ditch attempt at putting a vegan down, don't you?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I do indeed know what you mean, I ran into the same thing on a pagan website. It didn't bother me to a great degree my sister was just bugging me. But the last time I heard my carrots scream I can't say I wasn't suprised after talking to my sister... hahaha

wuggy

Yes, First Bus - I did think of posting a reply on the Pagan site to the effect that Vegetables do not have brains - as illustrated by the answers I found on the site! Thought I would rise above it though!!!!
    Eventually I finished the debate by leaving the forum altogether. They told me to re-think my religious beliefs as I had also mentioned 'Karma', which they pointed out was not 'Pagan', but relevant only to Eastern religions. I told them I would go away and meditate on that!

The "What about plants?" or "But plants feel pain too!" slippery-slope argument is probably the worst meat-eater argument out there right now. Because, you know, since it is hard to draw lines, we might as well not draw them and eat whatever we want. It is just horrible and completely full of holes. Here is what I usually say:

"It doesn't make sense to just say, "It is difficult to draw the line and root out all of our ethically problematic eating habits, therefore, we shouldn't do anything." Yes, it is difficult to draw the line, however, just because it is difficult to draw the line, doesn't mean we shouldn't try to. Also, just because we don't know where the line is, doesn't mean we don't know that some things are certainly on the "Don't Eat" side of the line (i.e. quadriplegics). As far as plants go, even if plants do require moral consideration, how does that exempt us from considering the consumption of animals? It doesn't."
    "A human can be healthy without killing animals for food. Therefore if he eats meat he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral." - Leo Tolstoy

You could always use the snappy retort from veganstreet as follows.

You’ve got to be kidding me, right? You honestly equate the anguished thrashings of a cow hanging on the slaughter line with that of a stalk of corn ready to be gathered? The repetitive, compulsive swaying of an elephant chained in a circus car with emotional life of the hay with which she was fed? The tortured screams of a pig as the knife is dragged across his throat with a blade of grass as the mower hits it? You honestly do not differentiate despite all obvious indication that animal life and plant life are not equitable in terms of awareness and suffering?

How is it that you get through life? Understanding as you do that each adorable Brussels sprout on your plate has been beheaded with such wanton disregard? A house salad must be viewed as a murderous crime scene to a sensitive being such as you; a crudité plate must seem to be a veritable genocide. How is it that you’ve survived so long without fruits, vegetables and grains? If you do eat these things, how do you quell the voices in your head of all the plants you have plundered that shriek, "No! Not me!Please don’t take my life for a boring little stir-fry! Aren’t I worth more than that?!?"

So you’re either excrutiatingly sensitive or horribly sadistic. Either way, you creep me out. Next question?

Or simply say the following.

The best way to minimize the suffering of plants is to become either a frutarian and eat only things that fall off of trees and bushes. The second best way is to become a vegan, because the animal who died for your Whopper ate a heckuva lot more plants each day than any vegan ever will.

"Vegetarians and vegans must develop a better answer to that age-old meat-eater question--but you kill plants don't you? Raising the plant question is, in my experience, a first line of defense for most omnivores. Now, most seasoned vegetarians have their standard 10-point response about why it is better to eat plants than animals. They offer points such as the following: plants don't feel pain because they lack a nervous system, the experiments in The Secret Life of Plants have not been reproducible and even the author refused to perform the experiments again, omnivores actually kill more plants because cows eat plants, etc. This line of argumentation has its place, but it doesn't answer the question of whether or not it is OK to eat plants in the first place. Vegetarians have to look a bit more closely at why every single omnivore makes this argument and why we get so angry/defensive/exasperated with this argument. It is because there is something to it."

"Animal liberation and plant liberation. Broccoli vs. animals?"

wuggy

Veganmike - I agree, there is something to it, that's why I find it tricky!! However, if pushed, I would/have used all of the above arguments, but it ususally boils down to the fact that the meat-eater can't think of a better one themselves! They are also total hypocrits to use it in the first place, aren't they? It's astonishing really!!

wuggy

P.S - I also hate the one about Vegans using more 'synthetics' - usually the person arguing drives a car, uses electricity, buys plastic-wrapped goods, etc, etc!

Exclamation Humans are meat too...

Humans are made of meat too, why don't we eat them?
    Not saying I'm a cannibal, but I do think eating meat is the same and as sick as eating humans.

Quote wuggy
    I read a quote the other day from a (crap) British TV presenter - he said "If we weren't meant to eat animals, then why are they made of meat (ha-ha, gwauff)". This 'jokey' little comment made me so mad I destroyed the magazine!

wuggy

Couldn't agree more - by the way, it was Johnny Vaughan.

If someone brings up the suffering plants line I wouldn't bother arguing with him. It really is pointless. So what if you win an argument? Do you think that the person is going to become vegan? No need for snappy comebacks. You could say, "You got me. Your superior logic has defeated veganism. No need to bother me about being vegan again," or say nothing at all.

Hmmm.
    I'd say that the only downside of being vegan is all the questions!!! It's like being in a court room! Of course it's best not to get too wound up - it's just a choice we all make. What does annoy me though is when people look at you like you're a total weirdo... ''No, I wouldn't like that thankyou, i'm a vegan...'' *GASP* (After ''what's vegan?!'') ''OK, what do you eat then?'' All very well, they're curious, but many just take it too far after that and make you feel so singled out... Ah well... Always the quiet ones...

I'd say experiencing the people that got mad at me (I don't know why) when I stopped eating meat was a downside. Oh and I was in school and one guy asked "whats vegan" I didn't have to tell him my teacher said "you don't know what vegan is?"

this is from a forum i frequent (um...it's a non-vegetarian related forum), a girl posted about kfc and in a response to that post, one girl stuck this in:

"Indeed it's true, many vegetarians would be better people if they care a bit more about people and a bit less about animals (Brigitte Bardot the extreme right wing racist vegetarian, Nazis who liked their dogs more than people...). "

I got this today on another forum. Silly or not ?

It is a primeval instinct to eat those that you love. It manfests itself in the animal kingdom when spiders eat their mates, or when baby spiders eat their mother. Equally, it is paraphrased when newborn animals are licked by their mothers from instinct. When my son was born, my first instinct was to lick him.

Our relationship with animals has co-existed for thousands of years. Just because some people choose to eat meat, it doesn't mean that those people are hypocrites for claiming to love those animals that we don't eat as food. Love and eating is ancient forms of the same thing, and they co-exist along with our relationships with other members of the animal kingdom. Sometimes, one expresses love for another by eating them (e.g. cannibalism) and the instinctive licking that goes on between humans and other animals. It is a vestige of evolution

silly?!! how about a desperate attempt to assuage their guilt - are they honestly saying they'd eat their own children?!!! how is licking your child anything to do with wanting to kill and eat it?
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I am going to a work related BBQ later in the week, so I'll have something more to add to this thread after then. However, for starters a girl at work told me her b/f was going to bring 8 hotdogs to the BBQ because he gets hungry. Ugh!

Q ‘So you think that animals are more important than humans’
    A One of the reason that I have managed to stay vegan is because I know that I am helping people. More people can be fed on a vegan diet, there will be less pollution which effects humans and maybe diseases won’t be immune to anti bio tics because of over use in the meat industry.

Q ‘Isn’t it natural for humans to eat meat? We have k9 teeth’
    A Yes and no. We are mainly built to eat plant mater but we can survive by eating meat. Our early ancestors only ate about 1% non plan mater i.e. insects and small animals (just like Chimpanzees and gorillas). Our teeth and digestive system is closer to plant eaters than meat eaters and our hands were designed for foraging and not tearing raw meet of the bone. Our teeth and jaw is designed for grinding up plant mater/seeds and looks totally different from the great meat eaters such as cats and dogs. Meat is very difficult to digest, that is why it must be cooked first as it starts to break it down. We only started eating more meat when we mastered fire and even then it was nothing like what people eat today. People think that early man was a great hunter and in fact he wasn’t.

Meat eaters have stomach acid 20 times stronger than ours in order to digest meat quickly and get it out of the body because when meat is digested it produces toxins. That is why meat eating animals have short intestines and we have much longer intestines. When animal protein is digested and makes these toxins it courses calcium to leach out of the bones as the body attempt to counter act the toxins. Hence weak bones.

We can survive by eating meat but our bodies have never evolved to using it efficiently. We thrive on plant mater like we always have! Only in hard times did we ever eat meat!

Q ‘Milk is natural’
    A Who said it was natural to run up to a cow and fight with it’s calf to suck on it’s udder?

This was the reply I received when I asked on a none vegan forum how the distinction is made between companion animals and the meat on the plate.

"The companion animal is the one who I have nurtured and cared for and given a name. Someone I can talk to if I need. I wouldn't dream of hurting him. The meat on my plate is a necessity of my diet. I care about it being treated well before I get it. But I don't give it a name or try and talk to it."

What I hate about some people is how they will call people in oriental countries cruel because they will eat animals such as dogs and cats, yet they think it is fine to eat a pig which has the same intelligence as a dog! Now I am vegan and I know the truth about animal exploitation, I feel quite angry about all the lies I was fed as a child! Often people tell me that I should feed my children meat (when I eventually have some) until they are old enough to make up their own minds. I was never given a choice when I was a child, I was lied to about where meat comes from so I am not going to lie to my children. They will know the truth, it will be explained to them in a way that is appropriate to their level of understanding. Some people ask me what I would do if my children decided that they wanted to eat meat. To be honest I can’t see that happening. I’ve never heard of anyone who was brought up veggie/vegan to decide they want to eat meat.

This was one of the comments on another website in regards to a survey of Milwaukee's best restaurants. Someone asked about veggie burgers and this was some guy's comment:
    "If humans weren't meant to be carnivors, we would not have cuspids.

Veggie burger is an oxymoron. If a place serves a veggie burger, it is my opinion that their "real" burger will inherently suck. Pandering to the minute vegetarian contingent reduces the quality of all of the establishment's offerings.

Long live Sobelman's!!! Please don't ever disgrace that wonderful bun with some awful tofu concoction."

Trendygirl, I hope you don't mind but I quoted some of what you said in my reply to him.

These people piss me off with their ignorance! Grr!

Trendygirl, i totally agree with what you say about the lies kids are told about meat and the hypocrisy of saying Asian countries are cruel to eat dogs and cats.

unfortunately i do know a couple of people who were raised veggie but decided to eat meat...both men if that has any relevance, perhaps they didn't feel it was very 'manly' to be veggie, but they sort of did it to rebel against their parents and never went back to being veggie

Thats fine Milwaukee guy! Spread the word!

Gorilla
    That so sad to hear about thoughs guys who eat meat now. This bringing up child thing sounds hard, maybe I won't do it? OH PLEASE DON'T LET MY FUTURE CHILDREN TURN INTO MEAT EATERS! Fingers crossed!

"your going to die from malnutrition", I know that means they are just uninformed but I get tired of explaining that no in fact I am doing quite well with my health and don't intend to die from malnutrition anytime soon.

On a non vegan forum where there is a thread " why aren't others vegan", one reply was "you have a right to your opinions but that doesn't mean to say you have the right to cause world wide chaos because of them." ??????

As you can imagine, it hasn't gone down very well.

I think that I am going to change my forum name to "World Wide Chaos."

Oh! Was that post referring to vegans causing world wide chaos? I thought it referred to the meat industry!
    No Gods, No Masters.

I read a Christians pamphlet today. It talked about treating you pets well and all the things god and cats do for you.

I'm as baffled about the silly comment I posted above as the next vegan in a funny kind of way.

One I mentioned the other day - whilst chatting to another member on here on MSN - At work on B/days etc....people usuual bring a cake or something for all to share 80% of the people here understand why I do not eat most run of the mill commercial cakes and chocs etc but a few still need educating big time.

Well last week one of these people bought in a cake offered it around and bought me some "oh can't you eat it" I replied "I am like sorry I have said loads of times I do not eat any animal products" she replied "but theres no meat in this cake?" this was said with a serious look on her face...any how I explained for the millionth time to this person.

Later the same person said to me - "Do you think you will ever get better from the vegan thing you have" What the F***K!!!!!! sorry but some people are from Mars or out of touch.....
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams