Page 4 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Things meat eaters say and do

just goes to show some people have absolutely no idea about the world they live in.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Here's one for the "stupid things meat-eaters say" thread if we ever get it back. I have to believe that he was kidding you though. Don't they grow cotton down there?

I had a good one the other night from a waitress:
    "Oh, but you can't eat that. It's got coconut milk in it."

I tried to explain that coconut milk comes from the coconut (and not very small, round cows) but I don't think she really understood.

Yes, I've had something similar before when my boss said to me "but how can you eat seaweed - it was alive once"

my brother in law came in to the house and saw me eating peanut butter on toast, hes like "u cant eat that, doesnt peanut butter have butter in it?
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Yeah, heaps of people think peanut butter has butter in it - but I know that lots of people put butter on their bread before adding the peanut butter - how much butter do people want to eat????

I have had people tell me that 'some vegans eat fish' and 'it only has a little bit of milk in it'

My sister-in-law asked me once if I could eat fruit. Gee, I never saw fruit being slaughtered-might be too traumatic for me to watch.

I don't know feline - a fruitarian may tell you different

Feline, I have a terrible, terrible admission to make: I take living fruit, chop it up, and then EAT it! How sick am I??!!!

Banana I don't thinka fruitarian would tell you different. Fruitarians eat quite a bit of fruit.
    "Its bad karma to fuck with the stoned"- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Comentary (found on criterion collection)

While staying at my parents over Christmas I met up with a girl I used to be friends with. She asked me if I was still vegan and I said yes! She then said what do you eat, can you eat vegetables??

I have no idea what she thinks I live of but she is not the brightest of girls. When we were younger she refused to believe me when I said that lard was made from pig fat. She ran to the fridge, got out the packed on lard and read out what it stated as its ingredients: LARD! She just could not contemplate that lard was pigs fat.

HAHA, that is funny (though pathetic) Trendygirl. It reminds me of a girl I was friends with growing up. I ran into her one summer when I was in college. She asked me what I was going to be doing. I told her I was going to be studying in England. She then asked me what country England was in!!! And we both graduated the same high school, embarrassing.

Quote TheFirstBus
    Banana I don't thinka fruitarian would tell you different. Fruitarians eat quite a bit of fruit.
    im pretty sure banana was being sarcastic.

most people think i live off of dirt LOL. my boyfriend couldnt understand veganism until he moved in with me and now says "i dont understand why everybody thinks u cant eat anything, u can eat more things than i can!" LOL.

That "lard" story reminds me of the Simpsons quote:

Homer Simpson: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
    Lisa: No.
    Homer Simpson: Ham?
    Lisa: No!
    Homer Simpson: Pork chops?
    Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal!
    Homer Simpson: Heh heh heh ... ooh ... yeah ... right, Lisa. A wonderful ... magical animal.

"If the animals weren’t happy and healthy, they wouldn’t grow/lay eggs etc". When refering to farming methods.

I was asked this question last week.

Well if the animals were raised on an 'organic farm’ would you eat them then? Why sure, those animals WANT to be eaten.

People have such a difficult time wrapping their minds around the concept.

My mom asked me the other night, why do I exlcude ALL dairy products. She then asked me why I just don't drink milk but still eat cheese because it's not *as* bad.

Geez. *rolls eyes*

PinkFluffyCloud

That's a cracker, Tigerlily!

"That's what animals are here for. It's survival of the fittest." I'm quoting a guy from campus who decided to show up at my animal rights/activism group. My reply to this guy was "First, factory farmed animals are bred to be raised for food (supply and demand) and secondly, when was the last time a chicken tried to have you for dinner?" :P

My ex boyfriend: "It's just wrong." Man that pretty much ended our relationship.

My cousin: "I can show you this website that proves that more animals die when you are a vegetarian than if you eat meat like everyone else" Now THAT was irritating.

Or, "So if you raised the chicken yourself would you eat the eggs?" *rolls eyes*

Kevster

'My friend couldn't convince me' i heard today, after an acquaintance informed me that she had given up trying to be vegan, followed by several expletives from myself (i just couldn't stop) What!? It's not about (for me anyway) trying to convince anyone, but about getting people to look into the matter themselves, the facts are compelling in my view. This was followed by, 'it's difficult at dinner parties', sooooooooooooo lame,

There is no moral or ethical argument for vegetarianism, as it presently stands.

Militant Kev

Jobey

In a friendly discussion on another forum these crackers came about:

"I just ate a sausage. Meat is good. Without meat, I would die."

"Veganism is plain unhealthy. Cutting so many proteins from your diet is nay impossible to compensate in an even remotely varying and tasty way. How many soy/walnuts can you eat in a day?"

"Did you know starving children picked those soya beans?"

"Veganism is just a by product about how people care more about animals than fellow humans, and so it is, well, evil and shit.
    Just remember, for every animal you save, your making 4 more African kids slave for your beans"

"I really dont care, i mean the way i see it me not eating meat isnt going to make a difference, and if we were to go bak to primal ways and rip them apart with our teeth it would probably cause them quite a bit of pain, me mum buys free range stuff cos it tastes better, but at the end of the day im not endorsing the animals suffering buy buying a chunk of meat from the shelf, thats just gona be bought by somone else if i dont."

"Meat is like my favorite food, i couldnt live without chicken and steak"

"Veganism is fine so long as you don't want an immune system.
    Or a bacon butty.
    Frankly, I couldn't live without either."

"Veganism is far too extreme IMHO. Vegetarians are bad enough.
    I can't Imagen going without milk, butter, leather, cheese and meat.
    You find most of these "vegans" and militant vegetarians come from cities, and have never actually seen farms properly and thus believe all the propaganda given to them from organizations such as PETA."

"cows dont live unhappy lives, they are put in a field and milked twice a day, there is no cruelty toward them, when the calves get taken away they sulk for a day or so then you wouldnt even tell."

*sigh*
    Peoples lack or care, denial and plain nastiness makes me sad

i showed my boyfriend a PETA dvd, not to convert him but just to make him aware. his response to it was, "i doubt it's like that everywhere. they pick out the awful cases of it and show that to brainwash you." my answer? "what do you mean it's not like that everywhere? are you saying these animals aren't being killed unwillingly?" we've had a few debates about it but it never goes anywhere. people's closed mindedness ticks me off, that and the ignorance and apathy.
    "The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But can they suffer?"
    -Jeremy Bentham

Austin + Cassie = LOVE

Jobey - those were classic... the only trouble is some if not all were sincere.

It is rude to laugh at ignorance but is it okay to laugh when ignorance is self imposed?
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

One of comments that I find most amusing are 'You would need to eat *** bowls of spinach every day to get enough B12'. Another. less amusing one, is 'Each to their own', which obviously doesn't include taking the freedom of the ones they choose to eat into consideration.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

PinkFluffyCloud

The latter REALLY makes me incredibly mad.

Yes.........the times I have heard "Each to his own".

ahhhhh I heard SO MANY "Oh they are just showing you extreme its not like that. its just some activist trying to make it seem like its bad. but its not. that is an EXCEPTION" !!!!!!!!

Hmm...what else have I heard.... "Why do we have the teeth we do if not meant to eat meat?!" ... which is BS too....

"We were meant to eat meat."

"You NEED meat in your diet to be healthy."

"The animal is dead anyway. Some ones gonna eat it."
    :p In life & love there are no impossibilities...

oh and this was the best, "they were born to be slaughtered."

...and "plants were once alive, too, you know?!"

ah, the old classic plant one.
    How many times have I heard that one....
    From a kid at school:
    "You know that when you grow up and have a child you can't make your kid vegan, cuz that's pushing your beliefs on him/her."
    o_0
    People once thought my mother is a nut, but I once thought a nut was my mother! :D

And the perfect response, "isn't forcing them to eat meat pushing your beliefs on him/her?"

Exactly! Some of my worst childhood memories have to do with food, and most of those have to do with meat.

Wink

Quote feline01
    And the perfect response, "isn't forcing them to eat meat pushing your beliefs on him/her?"

t's what I said
    People once thought my mother is a nut, but I once thought a nut was my mother! :D

I never liked meat as a kid but I still ate it. My mom always managed to put it in something. She'd say, "Just a little bit won't hurt you..."

Haha, glad I told her upfront about my veganism. She no longer does it except for the odd time when I refused to eat something she cooks (non-vegan thing) and she says she's so worried I'll end up in the hospital sick.

WTF?

Oh I do hate saying mean things about friends.... but.. well, I enojoyed this one :
    I went camping with three typically omnivorous friends recently and we decided to do a 3km hike up and down some rather steep terrain. I, being the bunny i am, bounced and ran almost the whole way there and back, waiting at least 30 minutes for them to return behind me at the end. Now, I'm not superfit, but my energy has rather significantly increased since i found veganism. When we had finished they were half-dead, sore and complaining and were in pain for the next 2 days, sucking down medications and nursing their aches that were caused by the exercise. A few hours later they decided to argue with me about veganism and one of them dared say:

"But if we don't eat meat we'll die out as a race"

My response?

"Do I look like I'm dying to you? You're the ones in agony" They had NO comeback!

I felt bad about it straight away though and apologised.

Great story but you shouldn't have apologized. It was a perfect situation to expose the health differences between a vegan diet vs an omnivorous one.

great comeback!But next time don't apologise, as feline said

i read something stoopid the other day (sorry if something similar has been mentioned before).

a local newspaper printed an article from a columnist who had tried to go veggie for a month, as part of Animal Aid's Go Veggie month. on the front cover it says 'Veggie Size Me' and he's shown with his mouth stuffed full of baby sweetcorn, like Morgan Spurlock does with fries on the cover of Super Size Me. he said being veggie was next to impossible for him, and that all veggie food is dull, and the only good thing about the diet was that he didn't overeat because he didn't like what he was eating.

then i noticed the letter from the editor on the contents page. he started his piece by saying he'd been a veggie for 20 years. but as i read on i saw further down that he said he eats fish about once a month. why? - because if he didn't eat fish occasionally, he would be too 'dogmatic', and he believes it's healthy to question your beliefs and not stick too closely to rules. not only that but he says he practically has to force himself to eat it, as he doesn't think fish even agrees with him and his body has trouble digesting the 'alien material'.

maybe that explains why the columnist said he 'didn't realise he wouldn't be able to eat fish' if he was being veggie, and moaned about supposedly not being able to get any omega 3.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

It wasn't stupid, but I thought it was pretty funny.

My guy, trying to explain vegan food to his parents (he was telling them about a vegan bakery we once went to): "it's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unhealthy in it."

I liked that comment so much, I put it as my signature.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

My coworker thought the same thing, was telling everyone that they couldn't get a vegan cake for my baby shower because vegan cakes have no sugar in it, taste horrible because they're healthy. Gee, I guess that's how I keep my svelte physique

when i cut cheese out of my diet and began eating a very healthy vegan diet, a friend of mine said, 'you're not losing fat, you're losing bone mass. you need the calcium from dairy. you have to get off this diet you're on.'

i'm still pissed at her.
    i have heard the mermaids singing each to each. i do not think that they will sing to me.

Oh.... I could never be vegetarian. I hate brown rice!

The whole 'you can't impose your beliefs on your children' this especially makes me laugh when it comes from religious people who plan to bring their children up with regular visits to church or mosque or whatever. Whenever I argue they just say 'Ohmigawd your poor (hypothetical) kids. I'm gonna feed them meat whenever they come round.'
    Me: fine but I'll teach yours to say 'motherfucker'.

Quote Shisha Fiend
    And the whole 'you can't impose your beliefs on your children' this especially makes me laugh when it comes from religious people who plan to bring their children up with regular visits to church or mosque or whatever. Whenever I argue they just say 'Ohmigawd your poor (hypothetical) kids. I'm gonna feed them meat whenever they come round.'
    Me: fine but I'll teach yours to say 'motherfucker'.
    Lol. Thanks Shisha Fiend. Have you been asked back to baby sit ?

Yeah but only cos I do it for free.

Anyway I haven't taught them to say motherfucker.
    Yet.

LOL!

I got a boring one yesterday after we were learning about Hinduism and "how they respect all things, that's why most of them are vegetarian" (that was in the video we watched about it) Well, anyway, the kid goes: "I respect animals, but I don't think there is anything wrong wth eating them

idiot.

Default Re: Silly, false or plain idiotic statements you've heard from non-vegans?

Omnis, when I was vegetarian, argued the hypocrisy of drinking milk. A good pro-vegan argument if ever there was one, spurs me to go all the way. Now these selfsame people, when they discover I'm vegan say that it is a bit extreme... but they can kinda see the point in being vegetarian and just not eating meat