Page 50 of 62 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,500 of 3075

Thread: Things meat eaters say and do

Default Re: Things meat eaters say and do

Quote DiaShel View Post
    I did this with a Greenpeace "chugger" as you call it. Asked her how she can be an environmentalist and eat meat. She said she'd been thinking about it and would try. I ended up giving them money.
    This annoys me with Greenpeace as well and we have something here called the Australian Conservation Foundation. There was a an online section about what I do to be green and the only veggie-ish option was "I reduce the amount of meal-based meals I eat per week" so I emailed them everytime I got it to say "include a vegan option because you guys know it has a lot to do with reducing your carbon footprint". No one ever replied and it's still not an option.

Stop being lazy and admit that being vegan is imortant.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Quote Shisha Fiend View Post
    http://www.vegetariansareevil.com/index.html wow I can't work out if that's for real or not...
    That HAS to be a joke!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote DiaShel View Post
    That HAS to be a joke!
    I have seen that site many times before but never actually read it. I finally read through its pages, and it is clearly not a joke. It just uses extreme descriptions of vegetarians, which makes you think it's a joke. If it were a joke, you would have to wonder who the hell would put so much research and work into such a website - certainly not a vegan trying to make fun of people.

Oh, I just found a page that says who "they" are.

Vegetarians are not just evil, they are also inconsiderate idiots. Many of you have certainly, by now, had vegetarian friends over for the Thanksgiving holiday. Usually, we omnivorous folk are very considerate for the dietary 'requirements' of our neurotic cronies and we usually prepare enough non-meat items to ensure that our vegetarian guests can have a delightful time and partake in a unique holiday tradition which, in America, spans the generations, heritages and cultures of the fine people who make up our great nation.
    Our first Thanksgiving with Vegetarian guests went something like this:
    We are Americans and live abroad, therefore, we get together with other American expatriates once each year to share this uniquely American tradition. It was 'our turn' and Thanksgiving is usually a huge chore without the extra work of vegetarian guests - who generally expect that their eccentric dietary decision will be catered to in what seems to be a sort of bizarre acknowledgement of demonstrating their moral superiority. Nobody bothered to tell them that if there were, in fact any real vegans or vegetarians on the Mayflower some 400 years ago, they would have most certainly been the first to perish...
    However, we are not combative vegetarians, so we prepared a mountain of vegetarian cuisine in addition to the usual Turkey-day fare, plenty of which would pass muster with the strictest vegans and fruitarians. In addition to turkey and the trimmings we had manicotti, eggplant parmigiana, pasta pesto, pasta e fagioli and a cornucopia of meatless delights to satisfy the most discriminating vegetarian (with a distinctly Italian-ethnic cant). While we were preparing this repast, we wondered if vegetarians prepare meat dishes for their omnivorous/carnivorous guests. Do they prepare them to look like vegetables?
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Quote Sarabi View Post
    I have seen that site many times before but never actually read it. I finally read through its pages, and it is clearly not a joke. It just uses extreme descriptions of vegetarians, which makes you think it's a joke. If it were a joke, you would have to wonder who the hell would put so much research and work into such a website - certainly not a vegan trying to make fun of people.

Oh, I just found a page that says who "they" are.
    This kind of stupidity shocks me every time. You think I'd be used to it.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Heh, I read through it a while, and I couldn't imagine it as being serious. I mean, it's just so ignorant I thought it had to be satire. No omni I know is that stupid or that much of a jerk. But then again, I'm sure it is possible the people here are serious.
    Czujesz się wolny i robisz co chcesz. Jesteś piratem!

Default Re: Silly questions you've been asked by omnivores

This happened to me earlier today in the cafe que at the library:

Randomer: "You're vegan? I don't trust vegans."
    Me: "Why not?"
    Randomer: "Well, Hitler was a vegetarian and so is Heather Mills."
    Me: "Okay..."
    Randomer: "And they are both horrible people who don't deserve to live."
    Me: "Well Hitler is already dead and I don't see what Heather Mills has done to deserve to die"
    Randomer: "God, vegans are so stupid!"

At this point it was his turn to be served, but I did'nt really know what to say to him anyway!

Quote Prawnil View Post
    Was, unfortunately.

There aren't that many things in the world that depress me quicker than youtube and its comment sections.

Ah oops, sorry about that.

helen105281

A colleague at work who I haven't seen for a while asked me today what I was up to and I told her about going to Brighton soon for the Vegan fair. She looked at me and said "so do you all wear funny clothes?" Bless her. I couldn't help smiling. This is the same person who once asked me if there were tomatoes in tinned tomatoes.

Mahk

"Hitler was a vegetarian."

My index card:

"Not true, he occasionally took on a vegetarian diet for digestive issues short term, but pretending for the moment you were correct, did you know he didn't smoke, too? Does that mean all non-smokers are evil?!"

This absurdly flawed logic is sometimes called reductio (or argumentum) ad Nazium

Buddha Belly

Quote Mahk View Post
    "Hitler was a vegetarian."

My index card:

"Not true, he occasionally took on a vegetarian diet for digestive issues short term, but pretending for the moment you were correct, did you know he didn't smoke, too? Does that mean all non-smokers are evil?!"

This absurdly flawed logic is sometimes called reductio (or argumentum) ad Nazium
    I have told that to someone before who came out with that crap. Pol Pot and Stalin ate meat and they are famed for their love of human life!
    The smoking thing was an arguement i used too.

something often forgotten is how much compassion some people have in one half of their life and how much disregard for life and pain in their other. Himmler objected to hunting deer for sport but was responsible for the deaths of the countless many humans. Some people are able as part of their condition to separate themselves in this way allowing and perhaps causing acts of true horror. This is much the same as one who 'follows orders' justifying acts as being part of their job, those who are willing and able to inflict pain when told to do so by a person of authority and when people see but blinker themselves to homeless people and beggars on the street.

Meat eating is similar to this. People are taught by society to kill and eat animals when they know that it is wrong to kill and that animals do feal pain (rare it may be that they will admit this). They just shut out these facts and get on with it. A bit like flicking off a switch (that happens to be the alarm and sprinkler system before lighting a camp fire in a hotel bedroom!)
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

Hi Rebecca, some people just want to pick fights; we don't have to argue with them.

All purpose conversation killer:

Well, I've learned to be nice to people I really dislike; have a nice day (with an icy smile and dead stare).
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Mahk

^

Quote Rebbecca View Post

Me: "Well Hitler is already dead and I don't see what Heather Mills has done to deserve to die"

At this point it was his turn to be served, but I did'nt really know what to say to him anyway!

I would have liked to hear what he had to say about Heather Mills.

Quote Rebbecca View Post

What kind of person would say this too someone? I definitely would have lost it. You have great self control for not grabbing him by his hair and slamming his head into the counter as soon as he turned around.

Quote Rebbecca View Post

Oooh! Ooohh! Just thought of a reply:

"Jeffrey Dahlmer(sp?) ate meat. I mean, if we're going to just toss around inherently flawed arguments..."

(apologies if someone else has already thought of that)
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies so close... you're almost kissing."

Quote buttons View Post
    Oooh! Ooohh! Just thought of a reply:

"Jeffrey Dahlmer(sp?) ate meat. I mean, if we're going to just toss around inherently flawed arguments..."

(apologies if someone else has already thought of that)
    or "Hitler breathed oxygen, so therefore, unless you want to be a Nazi, you should stop breathing."

Quote Rebbecca View Post

How about Stalin and president Mugabe eat meat and they are also horrible people?

Zero

Recently from a co-worker "Do you actually enjoy your food?"

If that pillock said to me that Hitler was vegetarian, I would probably say "actually he wasn't, and anyway, don't you know the difference between vegetarianism and veganism? God meat eaters are so stooopid!"
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

BlackCats

Quote Zero View Post

Quote Zero View Post
    Of course not. Enjoyment is a frivolity, and leads to sin.

Got these two last saturday,
    If someone offered you a leather chair would you take it?
    and this was a trick you out question
    If animals are 90% water and you drink water aren't you drinking animals?

arg blooming omnies

Quote Bartlebee View Post
    aren't you drinking animals?
    That's a new level of dumb

Quote Rebbecca View Post

Dude, you could've easily said, "So I should hate omnis because all the rapists, murderers, and child molesters that I've heard about have been omnis?"

Basically all the evil doers are animal eating beasts...

Vegetarians are pansies :P So Hitler is not in our circle.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
    - Samuel Beckett

My team at work are having a quiz this evening to raise money for Red Nose Day at the council staff club. The girl organising it phoned in advance to get something sorted for me with regards to food. The head of catering said he had never heard of a 'what do you call it again, veee-gun?'. I told him nothing fancy would be needed, and gave him a couple of ideas. I just received a phone call from work (I'm on leave this week), apparently the so-called Head Of Catering is finding this far too hard a task to make me some veg without dairy and meat, with a side-salad with non-dairy dressing (I suggested balsamic vinegar. Surely every kitchen would have this??), so I am having to take my own food to eat there.

Someone who is meant to be the head of catering asking what a vegan is surely he's in the wrong profession! Good ol' Staffordshire County Council
    I like football. And potatoes.

Quote Bartlebee View Post
    If animals are 90% water and you drink water aren't you drinking animals?
    Surely by that logic then we're all cannibals Aren't humans about 60% water?
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

yep, and we've (generally) been drinking water that's passed through at least 7 other human beings, we're drinking dinosaur pee and even rat pee every time we have a glass of water. Aquifer and glacial water may not have passed through other humans but will have passed through something else. Try not to let that bother you next time you take a glass of t-rex pee from the tap!

Quote Frosty View Post
    My team at work are having a quiz this evening to raise money for Red Nose Day at the council staff club. The girl organising it phoned in advance to get something sorted for me with regards to food. The head of catering said he had never heard of a 'what do you call it again, veee-gun?'. I told him nothing fancy would be needed, and gave him a couple of ideas. I just received a phone call from work (I'm on leave this week), apparently the so-called Head Of Catering is finding this far too hard a task to make me some veg without dairy and meat, with a side-salad with non-dairy dressing (I suggested balsamic vinegar. Surely every kitchen would have this??), so I am having to take my own food to eat there.

Someone who is meant to be the head of catering asking what a vegan is surely he's in the wrong profession! Good ol' Staffordshire County Council
    doesn't surprise me a bit in a world where there are so many people (including those who work in catering) who get vegans and pescatarians mixed up.

Quote BJJNick View Post
    I had some tard tell me, "Hitler was a vegetarian."

Does anyone else have violent thoughts when this happens? Lol. It's unhealthy mentally to talk to certain people.
    Just remind him that Charles Manson was a meat eater

Quote Nobylspoon View Post
    Just remind him that Charles Manson was a meat eater
    According to vegetariansareevil.com he was a vegan....

Thats one of the best websites I've seen in a long time I love the tale of the evil vegetarian from the bible who killed the farmer...
    Real or fake, not sure but this was advertised on their site http://t-shirts.cafepress.com/item/ringer-t/267578845 (I want one) and its made by an enviromental tee compnay
    What if a monkey made you a sandwich?

Quote VeganMonkey View Post
    According to vegetariansareevil.com he was a vegan....
    Yes one or two evil people were vegetarians - millions more evil people ate meat. It is meaningless.
    We all know serial killers and psycopaths usually start out killing animals before they then go onto killing people.
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote Frosty View Post

Personally I would send a strong letter to the council asking who had hired this person as head of catering when he is totally unaware of one of the most common types of 'special diets'.
    Is he also ignorant about catering for dairy allergies, nut allergies, gluten free diets etc. I would not stop sending letters until I got a decent reply - but then I can be a bit of an old bag when I get going :smile:
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote BJJNick View Post
    I had some tard tell me, "Hitler was a vegetarian."

Does anyone else have violent thoughts when this happens? Lol. It's unhealthy mentally to talk to certain people.
    Just to put this one to bed: Hitler was a man who at times had bouts of vegetarianism to alleviate his irritable bowel syndrome and flatulence.
    The facts are well known but omnivores have little else to which to cling in the glib comment department so they probably care as little for factual accuracy as they obviously do for animals.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

My sis gave me the "your unhealthy were do you get your protien from speech" this afternoon
    because there's no protein in vegtables
    What if a monkey made you a sandwich?

...if you're up it, look up a human's average daily requirement of each amino acid.
    I found it under the WHO to talk back to an (idiot) instructor who said about the same thing.

Once you start throwing arginine and tryptophan around, most people shut up.

oooh, found it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_amino_acids

Don't memorize, just sound like you know what you're talking about.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

I believe the description of Hitler as a vegetarian was written when, firstly, no-one knew much about him, and secondly, I suspect very few people were really sure what the term vegetarian really encompassed.

Also, even if he was a vegetarian, why does that reflect badly on us vegans? Surely that means we are more compassionate than one of history's most infamous dictators. Which is kind of damning with faint praise, but, y'know.

Dear, oh dear, oh dear... How many times have we heard this one?

"Oh, so you don't eat fish, either?"

*shakes head* Blub. This just today.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Quote DarmokTheGreen View Post
    Also, even if he was a vegetarian, why does that reflect badly on us vegans? Surely that means we are more compassionate than one of history's most infamous dictators.
    Therefore, omnis are less compassionate than Hitler.

Careful, you don't want to encourage the rumour that we only care about non-human animals and not humans...

Mahk

Hitler was a special kind of vegetarian. The kind that eats all forms of meat their entire life.

How can anyone claim that Hitler was kind to animals?! Alas, it is a common habit to refer to only non-human animals as animals, which I always thought was just a linguistic manifestation of how people tend to be so anthropocentric, but some people apparently forget their kindergarten biology in favor of the language error and will argue the point that we are not animals, we are humans, as though the two are mutually exclusive.

I could expect this more of someone from a religious background where such attitudes may be encouraged to a ridiculous point, but I've seen this from all sorts of people, including atheists. I guess it's because questioning one thing that you've been taught or conditioned to believe doesn't mean you'll necessarily start to question everything, much like people who fight against more obvious prejudice but then engage in more subtle stereotyping and patronizing themselves and seem totally unaware.

Oh, and I've been told, vehemently sometimes, "There are all kinds of vegetarians, including those that eat chicken and fish, then there are those that just eat fish, and then there are the ones that just eat vegetables and dairy."

Even as an omni kid I knew that was total bogus, and I remember being tempted to say, "show me someone who just lives on fish, and I'll tell you what, I'll even call them a vegetarian."

Even though my wording was kind of confused, it did get the point across that, well, who in their right mind would call someone who ate only fish a vegetarian?! It pointed out the absurdity of calling someone who eats fish at all a vegetarian. I like the, "Wait, what? What kind of plant is a fish?"

Didn't Hitler test his cyanide pill on his dog["Blondie"?]?
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

leedsveg

Quote Haniska View Post
    Didn't Hitler test his cyanide pill on his dog["Blondie"?]?
    As I understand it AH said to Blondie 'Things are looking pretty bad and you've not been well lately. How are you feeling now Blondie?' to which Blondie replied 'Rough!' which more or less sealed Blondie's fate.

I'll get my coat....

Mahk

Oh that's terrible! [I laughed, though].

Part of keeping pets is knowing that inevitably we have to make tough decisions regarding keeping them alive in their last hours/days. [That's a euphemistic way of saying "kill them", aka euthanasia] Maybe that's what AH did?

On a side note, my dad is battling his will preparer/lawyer over the use of the words "passed on" and is insisting it be changed to "dead". I love my dad!:smile:

Quote Quantum Mechanic View Post
    I could expect this more of someone from a religious background where such attitudes may be encouraged to a ridiculous point, but I've seen this from all sorts of people, including atheists. I guess it's because questioning one thing that you've been taught or conditioned to believe doesn't mean you'll necessarily start to question everything, much like people who fight against more obvious prejudice but then engage in more subtle stereotyping and patronizing themselves and seem totally unaware.
    So you assume people from a religious background are more likely to espouse ridiculous ideas than atheists, or that religious people don't question what they were taught?

One of my coworkers found out I was a vegan and replied

"You're not a very good vegan if you are wearing polyester"

I replied "Poachers stopped hunting wild polyesters after they figured out how to synthetically replicate their skin, now there just isn't a demand for the killing of innocent polyesters."

I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty