Page 53 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,650 of 3075

Thread: Things meat eaters say and do

Default Re: Silly questions you've been asked by omnivores

I'd assume it's the same as GummyBears, which may or may not be vegan.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

cobweb

Quote harpy View Post
    I think some omnivores are genuinely confused about fish, probably because of the self-styled "vegetarians" that will eat it. I haven't met a fish-eating "vegan" though (but there's a first time for everything )

i have!!
    there's a vicar in North Wales who is a very interesting person, he claims to be vegan but says its ok to eat fish because of the loaves and fishes thing

asleep ona sunbeam

Quote Mahk View Post
    Come to think of it, I do eat some kinds of fish.
    Are they actually vegan though?
    Didn't* PETA have loads of things that were "vegetarian" but contained gelatine, to which they replied "the little ingredients don't count"?

(*Firefox, why can't you understand that didn't is a word?)

I did come across someone on another forum a few years ago who claimed to be vegan but said she ate fish. Although in her case I'm pretty sure her "veganism" was just a front for an eating disorder .

asleep ona sunbeam

Quote cobweb View Post
    i have!!
    there's a vicar in North Wales who is a very interesting person, he claims to be vegan but says its ok to eat fish because of the loaves and fishes thing

As Jesus was allegedly killed on the passover, I think that means it's okay to eat Jesus (not bread, but Jesus himself).

I suppose this same vicar helps people to get intoxicated because of the wedding at cana?
    And of course married a prostitute:P

Quote asleep ona sunbeam View Post
    Didn't PETA have loads of things that were "vegetarian" but contained gelatine, to which they replied "the little ingredients don't count"?
    Last time I was wolfing down some tasty swedish fish they were vegan, and no gelatin in the ingredients list!

Default Silly things omnivores say (2)

I had a spot of man flu last week, and a colleague asked me if I was ill beacuse I'm vegan silly girl... she lives on crisps and take away food, whereas I eat a very varied diet. I explained this to her, but it went in one ear and out the other I think. For a change.
    I like football. And potatoes.

pavotrouge

oh no, you had the man flu, too!

Mahk

Didn't* PETA have loads of things that were "vegetarian" but contained gelatine, to which they replied "the little ingredients don't count"?
    Ingredients:
    Swedish Fish are one of the few gummy candies that contain no gelatin. According to the USA distribution packages, the candy contains the following ingredients:

Sugar
    Invert Sugar
    Corn syrup
    Modified Corn starch
    Citric Acid
    White Mineral Oil
    Artificial flavors
    Coloring (FD&C Red 40 for the red color)
    Carnauba wax

-wikipedia

Today my mom was looking for vegan iron pills in the interim between when my current prescription runs out and when I can get to a doctor and have it renewed. Now, normally she can identify mono and diglycerides, gelatin, etc., but today she asked me what lactose is, if it's vegan. I reminded her that it's milk sugar and about lactose intolerance and how some people have the dairy products with lactose removed. I think she was a bit sleep-deprived, a bit moreso than usual.

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    I had a client with Aspergers and people from other agencies wrote him off as a trouble maker desperate for attention or trying to get his own way. There were two of us who really stuck up for him and got him into accommodation for aspergers sufferers. He was a lovely lad who had a crap home and stood no chance in his early years.

The problem was that this was in a client focused care profession, it is disgusting.
    Yes, these things can be quite difficult and frustrating, but really I don't suffer from being autistic. The difficulty comes into play with the ignorance of special education teachers, security/police, and others in society who whether actively or passively pass this virulence on to me and others with developmental disabilities.

Default Re: Silly questions you've been asked by omnivores (2)

I was asked if I ate Hallumi (sp?) last night to which I replied that it was cheese and vegans don't eat cheese.

I was also abit mean to the RSPCA woman today.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

asleep ona sunbeam

silly questions asked by a vegan:

what happened to the old thread of this?
    Why is there a new one?

Threads tend to get locked and then re-started when they get too long. I think it's to do with saving bandwidth.

The old thread is here.

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    oh no, you had the man flu, too!
    Could be swine... But I'm so tough with my massive diet of fresh fruit and veg that all the vitamins and antioxidants fought against the flu and I am fit and healthy and ready to fight another day
    I like football. And potatoes.

pavotrouge

lucky you! you might have passed it on to me, though

asleep ona sunbeam

not a question but in a debate:
    This is one of those believer cliché types* that believe in the devil, God being all powerful, all loving, suffering existing, freedom of choice in humans, and god being a help funding machines. You ask for help and he provides. The bible being infallible etc.
    After I say that the bible was written by humans, edited by humans etc. didn't even both with going into bad translations. She makes no attempt to debate with my arguments put forward, just gives me messages no doubt taken by her pastor or priest or whoever. I then go into argue about the very definition of God being meaningless if he has supernatrual powers etc.

Finally we get to the subject of animals, I couldn't resist, turns out that, humanely killing something for your own agenda isn't a contradiction in terms.
    That we need animals to survive.
    That although I weight 60KG give or take I don't need 60-120 grams of protein, but instead over 200 a day. And that's why we need animals to survive. With this astonising news i ask her if that means I'm unhealthy, getting such low ammounts of protein (not that we went into the definition of "healthy" that would've been fun though) and it turns out, despite getting on average less than 50% of what I should get a day, I'm not unhealthy. Yet we still need animals to survive.

*sigh*

I forgot that people like her exist, it's a shame in some ways she's reminded me.
    I put forward a lot of arguments, the whole time she just acted as if she didn't need to debate back because she's better than me, and has more of an understanding of everything than I do.
    *not that I look at every believer of God as that, but there is that group of them that just makes me think that they can't think for themselves.

pavotrouge

sure... because there are nutritional guidelines provided in grams and mg printed in the bible

asleep ona sunbeam

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    sure... because there are nutritional guidelines provided in grams and mg printed in the bible
    oh no she allegedly went to nutritional classes that taught her that I'd need about 200grams of protein a day?

I'd probably be calcium deficient if that happened.

Oh and, although the bible contradicts itself, it's all true.

helen105281

Not really a silly question but one of my colleagues came up with a joke yesterday. He claims to have made it up but it could be doing the rounds.

"I hear there is a new vegan form of swine flu, it's called Toflu". Couldn't help smiling as he looked so pleased with himself.

asleep ona sunbeam

Quote helen105281 View Post
    Not really a silly question but one of my colleagues came up with a joke yesterday. He claims to have made it up but it could be doing the rounds.

"I hear there is a new vegan form of swine flu, it's called Toflu". Couldn't help smiling as he looked so pleased with himself.
    I laughed.

I hear that one of the symptoms is discovering rashers, a lot of people have tried oinkment but most people have rang the NHS direct, leading to a lot of complaints about hearing crackling on the phone.

I laughed.

I hear that one of the symptoms is discovering rashers, a lot of people have tried oinkment but most people have rang the NHS direct, leading to a lot of complaints about hearing crackling on the phone.
    Someone in that joint has been telling porkies.

Not so much a silly question as a completely stupid experience, but anyway. I was in Borders yesterday looking for a Swedish dictionary, and the foreign language reference books and cookbooks are opposite each other in the shop. There was a guy sitting with a girl in the chairs between the two and as I was looking for my book, I assume he saw a vegan cookbook and said to his companion, "Am I the only one who thinks veganism sounds like the daftest idea ever?" and she said "No, I do too". He said, "Does anyone actually think it's a good idea?" so I turned round to face him and said "I do, actually." He asked on what basis and experience and I told him that I'm vegan and have been for years (slight embellishment of the facts there but he doesn't need to know that). He asked how I found it because some of his vegan friends in Edinburgh "have horrible trouble with their B12" to which I said that I knew omnivores who had B12 deficiency too (which is true, my aunt does) and that his vegan friends would do well to take a supplement. He told me that ah, that might not be vegan, and how would they know if the pills were? Get in touch with the company, or ask in the shop you're buying them, or look on the bottle in a lot of instances even. He swiftly changed the subject to ask what I was looking for, spotted one on the shelf, and off I went. In the next aisle I heard his phone ring and I guess it must have been one of his vegan friends because he started the conversation with "You're never going to believe what just happened... the odds have got to be like one in a million".

I'm quite pleased with the exchange, really, since a few months ago I'd never have had the courage to turn round and argue with him about it, but I guess these things are easier when you know you're right

BlackCats

^ That's brilliant Declan.

cobweb

good, well done for speaking up, Declan, pity about his 'vegan friends' though - i don't have 'terrible trouble with my B12', do you?. If i did, i think i might not be venting about it to a non-vegan, his friends in Edinburgh are letting the side down! .

As an aside to Declan's post, a McDonald's opened in town near me about three weeks ago.

Sure enough (I live about six miles away), McDonalds wrappers appeared thrown on the road near my house.

So I picked up the disgusting junk and as I was going into town, I called there, asked for the manager and said, "This stuff was left near my house. It has your name all over it, so I assumed it belongs to you. Please don't leave your stuff near my house again".

He said, "Where do you live?" and I told him. He said, "We can't be responsible for what people do with their rubbish." and I said, "Well, if your burger joint didn't exist, I wouldn't have found this rubbish, so you must be responsible for it". And I walked out.

It was a yucky mess to leave on his counter, LOL.

I was quite pleased with myself. Next time, I might say, "This stuff has your name on it. Is there a reward for returning lost property?"

That's awesome DavidT!

Declan's sorry reminded me:
    I'm sitting in the lunch room of my academic building and all the professors got on the subject of vegan baked good and how bad they are. Then they started talking about vegans in general and one said "if you're a vegan you're either a communist or a psychopath". I glared at them the whole time and eventually they figured it out but it just egged the one on more. I never speak up for myself though, especially since they are professors...
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

asleep ona sunbeam

Quote DiaShel View Post
    That's awesome DavidT!

Declan's sorry reminded me:
    I'm sitting in the lunch room of my academic building and all the professors got on the subject of vegan baked good and how bad they are. Then they started talking about vegans in general and one said "if you're a vegan you're either a communist or a psychopath". I glared at them the whole time and eventually they figured it out but it just egged the one on more. I never speak up for myself though, especially since they are professors...
    I know this wasn't said but, how happy would you have been if you'd have said something along these lines, it makes me smile just thinking about it...

"excuse me, I couldn't help but over hear your rude, disrespectful and frankly illogical generalisations. You firstly assume that all vegans are communists, secondly, assume that eating vegan food is unhealthy, and lastly, don't seem to have looked into veganism at all. I presume that you're basing your comments on personal experience and through that feel that that makes you professors in the field of veganism. You sad pathetic people remind me of religious leaders in the middle ages who hunt down witches, please, get a grip on reality before you can't fit those overly big heads of yours through the door way*".

*with a possible cartman ending "suk ma ballz"

Well, I was at my brother's wedding this weekend, and there was this one girl...

"Awww, you should just go vegetarian for a few minutes so you can eat some of the cake!"

(We responded politely by saying that it would mean abandoning all our principles and beliefs for a slice of cake, or words to that effect.)

"Well, I couldn't do it. I just love food too much!"

It did carry on throughout the day -

"Man, I couldn't live without cake and sweets - how do you do it? And I'd really miss cheese."

(on wine) "But the fish are dead anyway..."
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Quote pusskins View Post
    (on wine) "But the fish are dead anyway..."

That's a new level of stupidity.

'Is vegan pasta really expensive?'

I also liked the 'What about goats milk, can you have goats milk?'

Yes, goats are actually a type of motile igneous rock formation.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Heehee! Those are good ones, Ms Derious and Pusskins (was that girl following you around all day then? ).

Quote harpy View Post
    Heehee! Those are good ones, Ms Derious and Pusskins (was that girl following you around all day then? ).
    Felt like it! We were sat next to her for the meal, and then she just ended up being in our vicinity the rest of the time!

I mean, it's true, isn't it? We are vegan because we hate food! (o_O)
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

I think that's a good sign, she probably secretly wants to be a vegan and was following you around to pick up some tips. We all have to start somewhere

ETA the idea that vegans and vegetarians must hate food seems to pop up a lot in newspaper columns etc doesn't it? They should see us!

^ heck yeah, they should see how our group get stuck into a vegan potluck
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

helen105281

Today I was offered some Turkish delight by a colleague (not the usual one who annoys me) and when I said no as I wasn't sure it was vegan he said "Oh it's not got Turkey in it". I just rolled my eyes. I would possibly have laughed if it had been anyone else but he always leaves the team drinks tray swimming in milk when he has made the drinks and it winds me up that I have to clean if before using it.

Default Stupid things Omni's say

It was my mother's birthday last week and she bought herself a birthday cake (oops me and sister didn't think of it!) she bought a Cadbury's flake cake coz she thought we all like chocolate and surely I can have just a small slice coz it's her birthday!????/

Um yes, I answered I do love chocolate but not chocolate that contains animal pus (to which i was told to shut up coz i was spoiling her enjoyment of the cake..... if it was turning her sick at the thought then why was she still eating????).

(I'm sure there used to be a threat with this title but I can't find it anywhere..)
    Last edited by Korn; Feb 14th, 2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread. Please search for existing threads before you start new ones.

Default Re: Stupid things Omni's say

The fact that non-vegans sometimes say things we don't agree with has been extensively dealt with here on VF...

Quote Daffodil View Post
    she bought a Cadbury's flake cake coz she thought we all like chocolate and surely I can have just a small slice coz it's her birthday!????/
    You could have made her a vegan cake

Quote Daffodil View Post
    I do love chocolate but not chocolate that contains animal pus
    Possibly not the most appropriate time for such a comment....

I sympathise with your situation, but with a little forward planning it could have been avoided. Sorry.

Quote fiamma View Post
    You could have made her a vegan cake

me and cake making doesn't go together lol!

I can't make cakes either. I have bought my mother and m-in-l the Blue Lotus ones a few times though - bit expensive but I only get the teeny-weeny ones. They seem to go down well although I think the m-in-l is a bit mystified as to why I buy her vegan ones when she isn't vegan

Quote Daffodil View Post
    me and cake making doesn't go together lol!
    Sorry, didn't think of that Sorry if my post was harsh.

Quote fiamma View Post
    Sorry, didn't think of that Sorry if my post was harsh.
    not at all

me n sis should have been more thoughtful and bought her a cake....

I was in a similar situation the other day. My flat mate made my other flat mate a cake for her birthday and asked if I wanted some. I said I didn't and he said "but it's her birthday' and got really offended when I refused. It's like people think you'll switch off your morality just to stop people from getting offended! The ironic thing is that he didn't have any of the cake himself because he'd made it with banana and he hates banana!

Oh, well it's alright for other people to refuse but if it's you then you're the Anti Christ or something. It's like when people say, "well there's only a tiny bit of [insert ingredient of misery here] in this cake, a tiny bit won't matter!"
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

helen105281

It is really annoying isn't it, I get it a lot too, have also had quality street thrown at me at work when I refused to eat them. Also whenever I take anything vegan in they overanalyse what they are eating because they are scared of it as it's not 'normal'.

Am getting a lot of people telling me to eat meat at the mo as my cold has returned and feel like crap. GRRRRRR

Hmm, you must have got that cold from all those vitamin deficiencies you have. Oh, and not getting any iron or protein.
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

helen105281

Quote Tofu Monkey View Post
    The ironic thing is that he didn't have any of the cake himself because he'd made it with banana and he hates banana!
    There's nowt so queer as folks!

Quote helen105281 View Post
    It is really annoying isn't it, I get it a lot too, have also had quality street thrown at me at work when I refused to eat them. Also whenever I take anything vegan in they overanalyse what they are eating because they are scared of it as it's not 'normal'.
    Ah, the all-consuming fear of seeming abnormal!
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies so close... you're almost kissing."

Default Things meat eaters say (3)

I was talking to my best friend about chicken farms the other day which culminated in him saying "For God's sake! Not everywhere is a Chicken Death Camp!"

I found that really funny, mostly because of the intense frustration in which he said it XD!

Default Re: Silly things omnivores say (2)

I've been told I am going to be deficient in protein, iron and calcium a lot and my Gran did ask if I could have goat's milk as though that were a perfectly reasonable vegan product.

A lot of people seem to find the concept of change too difficult. For example, my flatmates say that they base their meal around what meat/fish they have in. Even my vegetarian friend is the same, basing her meals on cheese, eggs and fish. I tend to base my meals around the vegetables I have in - eg, root vegetables will be turned into a stew with lentils or a pie maybe, whereas stir fry vegetables will be served with a Chinese or Thai sauce [homemade] and rice/noodles.