Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,750 of 3075

Thread: Things meat eaters say and do

Default Re: Things meat eaters say (3)

I've had people say similar things to me. One thing that a meateater said that annoyed me was about the baby formula that was made up from soy, "It's so wrong to force those diets on to children". Personally if I ever have children I plan to breastfeed, although I know how hard that can be. And I also do not know if one formula is healthier/better then the other but I don't believe that was the point she was making, rather she was referring to my diet choice. I couldn't help but wonder isn't not letting your child eat specific foods not forcing it on to them but allowing them the future opportunity to choose? Knowing all the animal, health and environmental problems caused by meat, it is something that does not only affect animals but everyone and something which affects you personally. I replied to her saying, "but it can be seen as not forcing animal products onto your child". She just laughed it off.

You are what you eat, and if I ever have children I do not want my children eating products based from cruelty, torture and a life created only for death.

I was in a supermarket with one of my bestfriends and her mother, and her mother was buying lamb and she said to me 'it's not a little cute baby lamb, it is an older one; if that makes you feel any better' I was like :|
    I just kind of laughed in a scared way and said 'erm, no it doesnt.'
    As if the animal being cute makes any difference!
    "Life is life – whether in a cat, or dog or man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man’s own advantage."

Quote megrainbows View Post
    I was in a supermarket with one of my bestfriends and her mother, and her mother was buying lamb and she said to me 'it's not a little cute baby lamb, it is an older one; if that makes you feel any better' I was like :|
    That speaks volumes about an omnivore perpsective though doesn't it - it's OK to eat creatures as long as they're not cute, like cats, dogs, lambs (below a certain size) etc

Hello, by the way!

My boyfriend's mum asked me the other day why i didn't drink milk, she already knows i'm vegan and i thought most people understood what that meant. She said. " but they produce it naturally" so i told her that yes they did, but to cater to people's needs they're constantly pregnant & their male calves are killed for veal. The annoying thing was she had this stupid smile on her face like i was some kinda crazy person who didn't realise that cows produce milk! I was a little bit sharp with her, which probably didn't help but sometimes you can't help yourself!

RubyDuby

Quote Tishy View Post
    "It's so wrong to force those diets on to children".
    Couldn't the same be said for "forcing" them to drink milk from a different species?
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Quote harpy View Post
    That speaks volumes about an omnivore perpsective though doesn't it - it's OK to eat creatures as long as they're not cute, like cats, dogs, lambs (below a certain size) etc

Hello, by the way!
    Yes it does! It's really funny actually, how anyone could think like that. It borders on the same veiws as racism - only being nice to people that look a certain way or are of a certain race.
    "Life is life – whether in a cat, or dog or man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man’s own advantage."

Quote megrainbows View Post
    Yes it does! It's really funny actually, how anyone could think like that. It borders on the same veiws as racism - only being nice to people that look a certain way or are of a certain race.
    I think it's what psychologists sometimes call a "cognitive shortcut" - you group things together to save time figuring out individual cases, e.g. you classify types of things (such as un-cuddly animals) as edible so you don't have to waste time every time you want to eat something.

It's quite difficult to get people to question those classifications but that's what we pesky vegans are here for

Quote Tishy View Post
    I am incredibley sick of people asking me what I eat!!!!!!!! This week I have had like 4 people ask me!!!! I'm so mad about it! What am I meant to say back to them? List off of all the recipes I cook regularly?!?!? Tell them every single ingredient I use?!!??!?! Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I eat nothing that casts a shadow...

Quote Annie M. Green View Post
    When my grandmother found out I was vegan she asked "what, you don't eat chicken then?" i was like "well, obviously, chicken is an animal" and she said "what, not even a little bit?" i just burst out laughing really. yeah, i'm vegan, but i DO eat a little bit of chicken once in a while. come on, gran
    i also once went to a party where i didn't know anyone apart from the person i came with and the folks there weren't exactly 'my type of people' - all meat-eaters, obsessed with getting rich and famous and powerful, violent and rude, and also not very smart. you know the type. and there was food like little sandwiches and pizza and stuff. i was a bit hungry so i asked people who were eating those what they were (especially the sandwiches - couldn't tell what was inside). and then i tried a little experiment. if people would say, for example, this was a ham and cheese sandwich and if i wanted one, i would say no, i'm vegan and they would get all weird and snotty about it, but when i said no, i'm intolerant to cholesterol they wouldn't be snotty at all and would just say 'oh ok' and move on. That was a funny, i think.

the most hurtful comment to me from meat-eaters is "well, you know you're not going to change anything, don't you?" to which i say that if everyone had attitude like theirs well then yeah, and we would be still living like our ancestors the cavemen (and women ) because no one would even try to change anything. they usually shut up after this, but it still is very bad to hear that most people think that way.

Don't believe them! I really believe that someday humans will look back and be appalled at the way their ancestors treated animals. All humans will find the thought of eating another creature disgusting and horrific.

When people ask me what I CAN eat (my neighbor asks me this weekly) I now just say "lettuce". Another neighbor told me yesterday that eating bacon makes her "heart sing". I told her that bacon is doing something to her heart but it's not singing, haha. Some people are so incredibly stupid it actually makes my head hurt.

Quote Shepherd Mom View Post
    Another neighbor told me yesterday that eating bacon makes her "heart sing". I told her that bacon is doing something to her heart but it's not singing, haha. Some people are so incredibly stupid it actually makes my head hurt.
    Hehehe, that made me chuckle. It kind of grosses me out how reliant people are on meats like bacon. Not trying to be self-righteous or anything, but when I hear anyone going "Oh I just couldn't live without (insert fatty food)", I just feel like they're a slob...But then, I think that's a kinda mean thought for me to have...

Smile Re: Things meat eaters say (3)

I told her that bacon is doing something to her heart but it's not singing, haha. Some people are so incredibly stupid it actually makes my head hurt.[/QUOTE]

Bahaha! That made me laugh, what a great call.

I know that we usually have negative things to say on this thread but today I am a proud woman!...While having a family dinner that included lots of vegan/vegetarian food because of me and my boyfriend(vegetarian) being present, a family member stated 'I actually really enjoy this vegetarian food, I think I could go vegetarian for a while'. How good is that?! It seems that purely from associating with non-meat foods due to my beliefs they're starting to see how nice it is and how unnecessary a hunk of flesh is at every single meal.

Quote Tishy View Post
    Hehehe, that made me chuckle. It kind of grosses me out how reliant people are on meats like bacon. Not trying to be self-righteous or anything, but when I hear anyone going "Oh I just couldn't live without (insert fatty food)", I just feel like they're a slob...But then, I think that's a kinda mean thought for me to have...
    I do the same thing, I think to myself "what a total slob". So many people are morally lazy and the thing that drives me insane is when they are actually presented with information regarding cruelty to animals, the benefits of a plant-based diet, etc, and STILL choose to continue their destructive habits.

I do the same thing, I think to myself "what a total slob". So many people are morally lazy and the thing that drives me insane is when they are actually presented with information regarding cruelty to animals, the benefits of a plant-based diet, etc, and STILL choose to continue their destructive habits.
    I think it's laziness... I used to eat terribly just because it meant saving me a few minutes. If healthier foods were more readily available, and not so time consuming to prepare, I would have considered a healthier diet. After I did my reading, I wanted became vegan. Still trying to find a few quick meal ideas and definitely some snacks I've just been eating Lays chips because even the dark chocolate I've found contains milk ingredients

Yes, I am so happy that people feel the same!! Personally, I hate it the most when people like, "what you can't eat junkfood?!?!?!" It's just like why would I want junkfood when I can have my beautiful wholesome home-made food? Or calling me a health freak and how I must not have any fun in my diet!! I'm so happy I'm healthy!!!! Compared to some of my friends who will guarantee have heart disease and be overweight by the time they are 50!

End rant!

I still like the junk food myself Nothings quite as good as some deep fried french fries with lots of salt and pepper Although I've cut back alot... I need junk once every couple of days though. Been noticing a bit of an energy loss. Maybe just need some more meal ideas

Slightly off topic...I go through phases of being super healthy and then wanting junk. It's good that what constitutes 'junk' for us is nowhere near as bad as it is for omnivores though. For example, sometimes I crave chocolate bars really badly but won't break my moral code to consume one, whereas previously I would have stuffed my face with 2 or 3, so I revert to 'sweets' such as 'special' fruits. Like last night I really wanted something junky but ended up buying a really expensive packet of strawberries. I know they're out of season and probably were transported very far but surely that has to be better than fully processed crap. (?). I really, really, really miss lollies though, like chicos and strawberry creams, all brands that I've come across still have gelatine in them. Plain chips are just about the only real junk I can have these days because all the flavoured chips (crisps) have milk product in them.

Quote MCMLXXXVI View Post
    Slightly off topic...I go through phases of being super healthy and then wanting junk. It's good that what constitutes 'junk' for us is nowhere near as bad as it is for omnivores though. For example, sometimes I crave chocolate bars really badly but won't break my moral code to consume one, whereas previously I would have stuffed my face with 2 or 3, so I revert to 'sweets' such as 'special' fruits. Like last night I really wanted something junky but ended up buying a really expensive packet of strawberries. I know they're out of season and probably were transported very far but surely that has to be better than fully processed crap. (?). I really, really, really miss lollies though, like chicos and strawberry creams, all brands that I've come across still have gelatine in them. Plain chips are just about the only real junk I can have these days because all the flavoured chips (crisps) have milk product in them.
    Lol, strawberries are a pretty healthy junk food I miss chocolate bars too. I was never really big into eating them. You just feel like you need one once in a while. I hear people saying that alot of dark chocolate is vegan, but I haven't been able to find any that doesn't say "contains milk ingredients". And lays potato chips are the best Potatoes, vegetable oil, salt... I've never seen such a short ingredients list
    Last edited by Back-Space; Jun 5th, 2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

And most of what I've heard comes from my friends trying to prove me wrong.... I don't start arguments because I don't enjoy having to defend my choice, but when I hear someone insulting me with a bunch of ill educated comments, I have to say something.

They basically say that you need meat in your diet to be healthy, despite the fact that their diet consists of fast food 3 times a week, and no liquids that haven't been carbonated.... Then they get on their laptop and search up all the cons to being vegan, and list them all off I don't see them searching up the pros and cons to eating meat. So do they actually believe you need meat to be healthy, or are they just trying to justify their sick diets?

And I like this thread It will come in handy later

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...egan+responses

I think it's reasonable to state that you thoroughly researched the sources of nutrients you require as a vegan and then ask them if they've ever researched any basis for their diet or if they're just copying the habits their Western culture has instilled in them. I've told many people that fried meat is a known carcinogen (taught in my Medical science degree so it is a credible source should they use that argument) and I'm glad to not be eating it anymore and they usually say something fucking ignorant like they have to die of something...well I'd rather not have to get a colectomy and use a colostomy bag at the age of 60 thank you very much. By the way, I'm getting way more iron and B12 in my diet now because I'm taking a supplement and eating more green vegetables, whereas before I ate meat once a month and didn't take a supplement because I wasn't technically a vegetarian. It's a really common case with young women my age. That's a pretty good defense!

I know of some vegan dark chocolates but they are really dark, like amazingly bitter-can only have one piece a day kind of dark. At least dark chocolate has potent antioxidants I suppose. See, even most of our junk food is health!

Chocolate is my junkfood, there's all sorts where I live. Like those vegan bars which are like Mars Bars and Milky Ways (but I can only eat one of them like a month!!! sooooo sugary!). There's this brand which basically every supermarket has which is just like dairy milk chocolate but without the dairy milk! And for dark chocolate I usually go for Lindt! Oh, and there's wonderful little Larabar Jocolat! Noms! But since going vegan, I realised how addicted I had been to sugar! When I eat heaps of sugar now, I get a tingley feeling and then just crave it more... But I have stood firm and now resist the sugary temptations, except maybe once every two weeks...

One of the most silliest things I've heard from an omnis mouth was, "yeah I don't agree with vegetarianism but I'm so against animal cruelty!!". I was just like "whhhha????", have you gone balmy?

I think it's reasonable to state that you thoroughly researched the sources of nutrients you require as a vegan and then ask them if they've ever researched any basis for their diet or if they're just copying the habits their Western culture has instilled in them. I've told many people that fried meat is a known carcinogen (taught in my Medical science degree so it is a credible source should they use that argument) and I'm glad to not be eating it anymore and they usually say something fucking ignorant like they have to die of something...well I'd rather not have to get a colectomy and use a colostomy bag at the age of 60 thank you very much. By the way, I'm getting way more iron and B12 in my diet now because I'm taking a supplement and eating more green vegetables, whereas before I ate meat once a month and didn't take a supplement because I wasn't technically a vegetarian. It's a really common case with young women my age. That's a pretty good defense!

I know of some vegan dark chocolates but they are really dark, like amazingly bitter-can only have one piece a day kind of dark. At least dark chocolate has potent antioxidants I suppose. See, even most of our junk food is health!
    I've done lots of research, and that's what I told one of my friends. He started talking and I interrupted him. I've done like 2 hours of reading everyday on the subject for the past 2 weeks. Who do you think you're arguing with? Then he starts pulling all these statistics and facts out of his ass. Oh well vegans don't live as long because they don't get the nutrients they need from meat, and we're at a higher risk for cancer, and animals don't go through pain and suffering, I'm just over-reacting... Well I wouldn't eat them even if they didn't suffer. I can't stand people who can sit there lieing to my face, then call me an idiot!

I take a B12 supplement at the moment, but that's it. I'm also trying to get more of a variety of foods and snacks. I'm going to try making some chocolate coconut treats tonight if I can find some chocolate. Add a bit of lemon too We used to have these things at the restaurant that were a layer of coconut, lemon, then chocolate and they were amazing

Quote Tishy View Post
    Chocolate is my junkfood, there's all sorts where I live. Like those vegan bars which are like Mars Bars and Milky Ways (but I can only eat one of them like a month!!! sooooo sugary!). There's this brand which basically every supermarket has which is just like dairy milk chocolate but without the dairy milk! And for dark chocolate I usually go for Lindt! Oh, and there's wonderful little Larabar Jocolat! Noms! But since going vegan, I realised how addicted I had been to sugar! When I eat heaps of sugar now, I get a tingley feeling and then just crave it more... But I have stood firm and now resist the sugary temptations, except maybe once every two weeks...

One of the most silliest things I've heard from an omnis mouth was, "yeah I don't agree with vegetarianism but I'm so against animal cruelty!!". I was just like "whhhha????", have you gone balmy?
    I was looking at chocolate bars at the store yesterday, and all the dark chocolate had milk ingredients. I wish Nestle would offer a little more in the vegan variety I think their syrups are vegan though. I found a PETA link that was along the lines of "I can't believe it's vegan", and it had a list of some name brand supermarket foods that were vegan I'll try and find it here.

http://www.peta.org/accidentallyvegan/ - There's not alot, but it gave me some ideas

Don't believe them! I really believe that someday humans will look back and be appalled at the way their ancestors treated animals. All humans will find the thought of eating another creature disgusting and horrific.
    I never do. I believe an overall change will come sooner or later, if only all of us would get off our arses and actually change towards a better future. For now it's just about a little bunch of eccentrics calling themselves vegan who should be out there promoting our lifestyles and providing people with information and just working together to try to make a transition to veganism easier and more appealing.

I was just talking with a friend of mine after I sent him this article to read: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...meat-free-diet (which is a good article in any case). He said that he would rather if the population didn't grow any more. I said that it's not really up to him, is it? He said that he didn't want it to grow because there wouldn't be enough resources to feed everyone and -he- did not want himself to starve . this greedy "me!me!me!" attitude is what gets me down with meat-eaters really. i mean, yeah, we are all selfish to some extent and egocentric, but i think that if we would all be a little more altruistic (although some people need to be much more altruistic) the world would be a better place.
    it's like just yesterday i went to a big supermarket near my house and it was 40 mins before they were closing, so they had all those "reduced to clear" items that expire today for much cheaper than usual. I normally get a lot of veg and bread this way and they never seem to have a lot of meat there. but this time there were no veg reduced but lots of meat. people just went mad trying to get hold of more cheap meat, they were almost fighting each other for it! I was observing with a mixed feeling of amusement and enragement. This probably goes under the category "things meat-eaters do", but nonetheless
    p.s. wow that's a long message
    "Let he among us without sin be the first to condemn..
    Viva La Vie Boheme!!

@Back-Space, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! It's well documented that vegetarians on average live at least 5 years longer than non-vegetarians and in the scientific literature it is well proven that fried or BBQ'd meats produce heterocyclic amines which are carcinogenic DNA base substitutes and many blame the epidemic of colon cancers in the Western world on this fact. How does a vegan diet put you at higher risk of cancer when it is generally higher in fibre, lower in sugar, higher in fruit in vegetable and not to mention the fact that most vegan cosmetics and washing liquids are usually free of harsh chemicals also which are attributed to cancer and autoimmune disease??? Ignorant meat-eaters are the WORST!!

@Annie M. Green, thanks for the article! I emailed it to a few of my family members who are 3 x meat-meals-a-day kind of people. Their replies may be interesting...

@Back-Space, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! It's well documented that vegetarians on average live at least 5 years longer than non-vegetarians and in the scientific literature it is well proven that fried or BBQ'd meats produce heterocyclic amines which are carcinogenic DNA base substitutes and many blame the epidemic of colon cancers in the Western world on this fact. How does a vegan diet put you at higher risk of cancer when it is generally higher in fibre, lower in sugar, higher in fruit in vegetable and not to mention the fact that most vegan cosmetics and washing liquids are usually free of harsh chemicals also which are attributed to cancer and autoimmune disease??? Ignorant meat-eaters are the WORST!!
    Lol, well you should try talking to this guy. Almost everything he says is BS I think I pissed him off. We were arguing back when I was vegetarian aswell and he told me that the cheese pizza I was eating had meat in the tomato sauce. I told him they didn't, but he stood by it. So we called the pizza place and they said they don't put meat in the tomato sauce and that a cheese pizza was vegetarian... He said they must have recently changed it He's the type of person you just have to nod and smile at Good guy, just misinformed.

Once he started arguing with me about vegan health, I messaged him some pictures of some real stats and facts once I got home. He didn't message me back... I couldn't just let someone walk away with the wrong information.

Quote Back-Space View Post
    Lol, well you should try talking to this guy. Almost everything he says is BS I think I pissed him off. We were arguing back when I was vegetarian aswell and he told me that the cheese pizza I was eating had meat in the tomato sauce. I told him they didn't, but he stood by it. So we called the pizza place and they said they don't put meat in the tomato sauce and that a cheese pizza was vegetarian... He said they must have recently changed it He's the type of person you just have to nod and smile at Good guy, just misinformed.

Once he started arguing with me about vegan health, I messaged him some pictures of some real stats and facts once I got home. He didn't message me back... I couldn't just let someone walk away with the wrong information.

He sounds arrogant yet ignorant by choice at the same time, like my brother. My brother is so infuriating, when I told him that the WHO currently recommends no more than 200g of red meat a week he replied with "bullshit! They're full of shit!", yeah ok, so the WHO made up that statistic JUST to disagree with your point of view and it wasn't based on scientific data compiled by the best health professionals on the planet. He also says I'm not qualified to talk about it (because I haven't graduated from Medical Science yet) and I just say that everything I learn contributes to a scientific degree and it's not as though I'm wrong about everything until I get the piece of paper and then all my exact same opinions will magically be accurate once I have the physical degree on paper. He's so frustrating.

Good on you for emailing that guy some information though. Maybe once he saw some of your reasons in writing from a credible source he realised you weren't just making it up.

He sounds arrogant yet ignorant by choice at the same time, like my brother. My brother is so infuriating, when I told him that the WHO currently recommends no more than 200g of red meat a week he replied with "bullshit! They're full of shit!", yeah ok, so the WHO made up that statistic JUST to disagree with your point of view and it wasn't based on scientific data compiled by the best health professionals on the planet. He also says I'm not qualified to talk about it (because I haven't graduated from Medical Science yet) and I just say that everything I learn contributes to a scientific degree and it's not as though I'm wrong about everything until I get the piece of paper and then all my exact same opinions will magically be accurate once I have the physical degree on paper. He's so frustrating.

Good on you for emailing that guy some information though. Maybe once he saw some of your reasons in writing from a credible source he realised you weren't just making it up.
    Yeah, it's quite irritating. I don't care when he starts going on about how amazing his truck is, or how RIM wants to offer him a $120 000 job with no education, but when he spews such garbage about something I take seriously, I just can't let it go without confrontation.

Medical science huh? That must be pretty cool What are you planning to go into?

Omni: But we have to have meat or people would die!!!

Me: How would people die?

Omni: Because there wouldn't be enough food.

Me: But we grow so many crops for animals, if we stopped feeding it to animals and fed it to humans then there would be enough to feed the world's hungry.

Omni: I don't believe you.

Me: I'll show you my sources, there's this site-

Omni: No don't bother I don't believe these sites. And at any rate people would die. People don't want to be vegan.

Me: Wha..? You mean if we stopped having farmed animals, and there was enough food for everyone, people would deliberately starve instead of eating non-animal foods?

Omni: I have to go now.

people always say- you dont eat cheese/chocolate/eggs/meat? Oh, I couldn't do that!
    ...like I'm some kind of superhuman? So many people say it, and its so silly!
    We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.

Default Re: Things meat eaters say and do

Quote karen_87 View Post
    What a day!

Ive been called an 'elitist' today

Asked what do I eat?!

Called extreme for not wearing leather (ie. walking boots)

And, would it be that bad if I did have non-vegan cake?!
    The elitist one always is among the most absurd. The best response I can think of is to ask who is the one believing that all life is equal, and who is the one who thinks he/she is so important that his/her satisfaction is worth another's life.
    Czujesz się wolny i robisz co chcesz. Jesteś piratem!

patientia

When I have just become a vegan, some 6 years ago, I attended a "Crępe party" and didn't eat any because they were made with eggs and milk. I was told by the host's bf: "All vegetarians who don't eat meat because of animals should be put into the concentration camps." My bf (meateater) and I then left.

I have known that guy for years, he seemed OK.

RubyDuby

wow ^

my bf got into a discussion with a co-worker yesterday over why he doesn't eat dairy. She told him all of his arguments would be valid if he were Buddhist. Animal abuse is ok as long as it doesn't go against your religion? I can't figure it out...

patientia

^ :facepalm:

What kind of logic is that?

Well, some people have asked me: "Are you of some other faith?" other meaning other than Roman Chatolic.

This is a friend of mines housemate. I made a facebook status of "uuuugh I shouldn't watch cooking programmes, I hate watching stupid people slurp up veal like it's no big deal" thinking that most of my friends would know me well enough to know I'm never going to agree it's ok to eat/use animal products and that I'm also being silly lol. Silly I know, but I honestly though that my friends would take it lightly! Thye normally do, but I forgot I have some people added who don't really know me.

I got:

Actually by opting out your harming the situation. Buying decent meat produced humanely helps supermarkets to stock veal thats had a long life and stop producing the veal that gets killed at birth. It's all about public demand.
    and so I replied saying the usual no such thing as humane meat etcetc

then got:

I used to be a vegan and veggie at different times and I did a lot of research beforehand.

That's where quite a lot of meat eaters go wrong as well, only you don't mean it in a cruel way. Just because the animal will end up dead doesn't mean anything. It's like if I ever mucked out a stable and left it for a week telling... See more the owner" it'll just get dirty again. What's the point?"

Humane eggs are from chickens who haven't been cooped up with no sunlight and no room to move. Humane chickens are chickens who live longer and live the way nature intended. With sun, corn, grass etc. I used to work on a meat site, I've been into abattoirs. There is a big difference between killing humanely and not. Most cases I've seen beforehand, and some I've stopped during much to the chargrain of my bosses.

In a way it is helping the environment like the cycle of life, the fox keeps down the rabbit population. We keep down the cows otherwise they will over populate fields thus overcrowding. Cows and other farm animals produce gases that harm the environment, also with no space to move they'll starve to death.

Only the people buying the products will sway the supermarkets to stock decent produce, not buying it may express your views on the topic but it won't change much. We need a high majority of the public to buy meat produced and slaughtered humanely. You're forgetting that supermarkets only think in terms of money.

I agree with the exploitation part though and I respect your choice to not eat animals. Few people who don't eat meat respect the choice of people who do. We are a race that thrives off using others for our own gain, good intentions or not. It's just human nature only backed up with the fact that we as a race are meant to eat meat, our ability to think for ourselves allows us the choice.

The people like Hugh Fearnley who actively produce animals in a humane way should be praised. We need more celebrities to back it. It is a pity not many people do. Farmers don't want to produce unhappy animals, the wellbeing of an animal matters very much to a carer. I know, I worked with horses and other animals since I was seven. Rule number one, the animal come first, then the customer, then sometimes the carer. The supermarkets have just confused what comes first and needs the public to set it straight.

Join Compassion World Farming, it's a site which is very useful and will show you what meat eaters do to ensure the meat we eat has had a good, long and natural life. There are also petitions on there so vegetarian's can help as well.
    Uuuuuuugh I replied just saying I'm already a member, most farms aren't like that etcetcetc. I wasn't being serious! I think she feels like I'm saying people who eat veal/meat are stupid which I'm not really lol, the woman on the programme didn't know veal came from calves, and after being told about the process and eating it then went to coo over the cute little calfs. O_o

I feel a little bad quoting the whole thing but I just felt annoyed because what she's saying isn't really true, except for a few farms. So many people believe this and it makes me sad.

RubyDuby

She's justifying something that cannot be justified. Her logic is completely flawed... I won't preach to the choir, but just thought this part needed to be quoted again,
    Quote Mollfie's Facebook Friend
    You're forgetting that supermarkets only think in terms of money.
    Exactly, dumbass. Vegans don't give money to the meat industry. (sorry )

Thank you! I did a rather half assed reply because she's very hard headed and I can't be bothered. If she really has done her research then she wouldn't still be eating animal products.

Glad it's not just me, I wasn't sure if I was just being over-sensitive.

BlackCats

^

"In a way it is helping the environment like the cycle of life, the fox keeps down the rabbit population. We keep down the cows otherwise they will over populate fields thus overcrowding. Cows and other farm animals produce gases that harm the environment, also with no space to move they'll starve to death."

Oh dear.

RubyDuby

the whole thing puts me in attack mode. I need to go have an herbal tea or something.

patientia

Poor girl!

It's fine, I just said we'd have to agree to disagree and that I'm always happy to talk more if she wants to. Atleast she's sensible enough to not get really defensive and mean like some people, she does try to argue properly which I appreciate.

It just annoys me that she thinks like this, and that so many others do. But I understand it's not her fault really lol, it's just a way of thinking that most people have. Maybe one day she'll change her mind, you never know.

patientia

No, I mean she is a poor girl. Poor reasoning.

Sorry if I offended you

Quote BlackCats View Post
    ^

"In a way it is helping the environment like the cycle of life, the fox keeps down the rabbit population. We keep down the cows otherwise they will over populate fields thus overcrowding. Cows and other farm animals produce gases that harm the environment, also with no space to move they'll starve to death."

Oh dear.
    Haha, there are so many things wrong with that I wouldn't know where to start.

I had someone tell me the other day "Please don't be a vegan! I like meat and cheese!"

I'm now thinking I should have replied "and you liking something means I have to eat it why?" but I didn't. I think I just ignored him, since that's what everyone else in math class does.

Quote Manderin View Post
    I had someone tell me the other day "Please don't be a vegan! I like meat and cheese!"

I'm now thinking I should have replied "and you liking something means I have to eat it why?" but I didn't. I think I just ignored him, since that's what everyone else in math class does.
    I had someone say that to me! He wants to go to this restaurant that supposedly makes the best burgers in town, and has no one else to go with So my choices are to go there and turn my back on everything I believe in, or go there and watch him scarf down a burger while I order a glass of water. I don't think so....

BlackCats

I just read this comment online:

"I stay wary of these diets. one women got killed from raw veganism & someone else's daughters had lots of abnormal health problems growing up raw vegan (stunted growth, holes in teeth)"

Lol. Can't trust what you read online Although I think there was a case where a child died when their parents fed them a vegan diet. I think that was poor research into the diet and what nutrients children need, not veganism itself.

patientia

Many children died when their parents fed them meat. What does that say about eating meat?

There's one website, named "What's the harm" about alternative medicine harming people (usually by not treating them) and they have a section about child vegetarianism. They used to have a section about vegetarianism, with examples like:
    John Doe was a vegetarian, he walked in nature, ate poisonous berries and died.

So when a meateater eats poisonous berries, it's an accident, but when a vegetarian eats poisonous berries, it's because he's a vegetarian

BlackCats

Quote patientia View Post

I don't know why I keep reading things that are annoying me today.

"Just this year I was truly moved by the book The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability by Lierre Kieth. Her story parallels my own in many ways, even down to the encounter with Weston Price’s book. She laid out so beautifully how Vegetarianism is more than just destructive for our bodies, it is destructive to our eco-system. Farming is what turned the fertile cresent into a desert, what turned the Nile Valley into sand dunes… and remember, that was Organic Farming! They did not have the “Commercial” or “Industrial” farming practices that we do today!
    The most powerful conclusion of her book is this… That the beginning of Adult Wisdom lays in accepting that something must Die for you to Live. This is universally true for all humans…

With this Wisdom I was resolved to hunt my own meat, and to develop the relationship with the animals that this requires. To see them face to face, from start to finish."

And....

"Vegan diets of any sort are an attempt to impose personal ethics onto personal biology; I choose to base my diet on biology rather than unnatural sympathy for my food."

Quote BlackCats View Post

I don't know why I keep reading things that are annoying me today.

"Just this year I was truly moved by the book The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability by Lierre Kieth. Her story parallels my own in many ways, even down to the encounter with Weston Price’s book. She laid out so beautifully how Vegetarianism is more than just destructive for our bodies, it is destructive to our eco-system. Farming is what turned the fertile cresent into a desert, what turned the Nile Valley into sand dunes… and remember, that was Organic Farming! They did not have the “Commercial” or “Industrial” farming practices that we do today!
    The most powerful conclusion of her book is this… That the beginning of Adult Wisdom lays in accepting that something must Die for you to Live. This is universally true for all humans…

With this Wisdom I was resolved to hunt my own meat, and to develop the relationship with the animals that this requires. To see them face to face, from start to finish."

And....

"Vegan diets of any sort are an attempt to impose personal ethics onto personal biology; I choose to base my diet on biology rather than unnatural sympathy for my food."

Yeah... I guess these people who have been vegan for 20+ years are miracles to the science world "Look how they've been sustaining themselves on nothing but fruits and vegetables! But where do they get their protein!?!?!"

And peoples ethics and morals have an affect on everything... Why is it so hard to believe it would include our diets? "Unnatural sympathy for my food"... Spoken like a true snob...

Quote patientia View Post
    Many children died when their parents fed them meat. What does that say about eating meat?

There's one website, named "What's the harm" about alternative medicine harming people (usually by not treating them) and they have a section about child vegetarianism. They used to have a section about vegetarianism, with examples like:

So when a meateater eats poisonous berries, it's an accident, but when a vegetarian eats poisonous berries, it's because he's a vegetarian
    Lol. Meat eaters can do no wrong It's kind of like that line. When animals do something, it's instinct. But when we do something for the same reason, it's intelligence.