Page 6 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: Things meat eaters say and do

Default Re: Silly/ignorant comments from meat eaters

Quote TheFirstBus
    While out and about in my animal liberation sweater only one person bothered to read and comment on it. What was his comment you ask?? Well he felt the need to inform me that hunting is actually benificial to the animals and all this stuff about how much the hunters have helped the animals. I had nothing to poke back with at the moment so I only listened and he indirectly characterized me as one of the "uniformed" youth. I dunno if he meant it in a positive light or not but it still kinda rattled me.
    Hunting is beneficial to animals.......I'd love to know what he bases that on? Did he say why hunters have helped animals?

Sounds like a "misinformed" adult if you ask me.

Oh he went on about how it was hunters that helped to make laws to protect the deer population and stuff. Essentially it went along the lines of making sure the deer don't go extinct so he can still hunt them. He went on about strings of illness if the hunted animals were left alone. Very warped. I have heard this alot before though some people are very firm in there belief that hunting animals is benicificial to the overall population.
    "Its bad karma to fuck with the stoned"- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Comentary (found on criterion collection)

Thankfully most of the people I meet think that hunting is barbaric. They still think meat is okay though

I could never understand that. I don't advocate hunting but sometimes its a quicker death for the animal something you may get from the store. I don't often see how anyone could hide behind compassion just because they buy it from the store. Sorry if I sound stubbern
    "Its bad karma to fuck with the stoned"- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Comentary (found on criterion collection)

I've gotten the whole "hunters are the ones helping wild animals because the money we pay for hunting licenses funds the wildlife protection program blah blah blah thing" before. I wasn't impressed, of course. However, like First Bus, if a person just thinks they HAVE to eat meat, I think I'd rather hear that they are hunting their own instead of buying it at the supermarket. At least the hunted animals were not caged and beaten before their brutal death (i hope).

"WHy not put the animals to good use rather than battery farming them and slaughtering them then just leaving them on a big pile??? That's what would happen if we didnt eat animals."

AAAAARGH
    I LOVE HIM SO MUCH BUT WHY DOES HE COME UP WITH SUCH BULLS*IT WHEN IT COMES TO WHAT I EAT AND VEGANISM??

I told him that if people didn't wat meat there'd be no need for slaughter in the first place.

The he said: man will nevr stop slaughtering animals, and if they do it wont be for hundreds of years.
    He may have a truth there.......that's why it made me nearly want to cry.

Good sperm

I often hear 'isn't it hard to be healthy on a vegan diet?', and when I do, I ask people to look at me. I ask them 'do I *look* unhealthy to you?'.
    They then mysteriously shut up

It's funny how appealing to women's vanity furthers the vegan diet cause more than anything else. People often say one of these things to me:
    You've got such lovely hair
    You've lost weight you look really slim
    What lovely skin you have
    Your nails are in really good condition
    You look really healthy.
    What do I answer? 'Vegan diet'. It sure gets them thinking!

Boyf has never felt healthier than on the vegan diet he's on now. But obviously that counts for nothing to some!

Also I've noticed several of my female meat-eating friends have had anaemia. I have never had it, despite the 'Iron Deficiency' mantra that was thrown at me as a vegetarian teen. I find it amusing that something veg*ns are supposedly more prone to I have never had, while several meat-eating girls I've know have. Anyone else noticed this?

Unhappy Stupid things non-vegans say..

Alright, so many of you may be familiar with 'livejournals'.. So I was looking at this one yesterday from this girl who attended my school. But, any rate, she knew I was vegan, so while I was reading it, her most recent entry had said..

"i am going vegan, not because it's healthier and better for the world and all that blah blah blah i don't care.
    i am do it because it will help me go back to a size 1 jeans."

For one, I think that's horrible. And I wouldn't consider that 'going vegan' because your heart isn't in the right place when you're doing it. I just consider it going on a diet..

Anyway, point is...stupid things non-vegans say about being vegan or stupid reasons they say for either wanting or not wanting to go vegan...

Some people make me sick.
    Alicia

"As long as people will shed the blood of innocent creatures there can be no peace, no liberty, no harmony between people. Slaughter and justice cannot dwell together."

ZM

Quote TheFirstBus
    Oh he went on about how it was hunters that helped to make laws to protect the deer population and stuff. Essentially it went along the lines of making sure the deer don't go extinct so he can still hunt them. He went on about strings of illness if the hunted animals were left alone. Very warped. I have heard this alot before though some people are very firm in there belief that hunting animals is benicificial to the overall population.
    .. Uhhhh?

One line of thinking I could never understand: hunting helps the animals!

When I ask why, I almost invariably get an answer something like 'well it keeps the population in check'. You know what? You could get the same effect if you reinstated the natural predators, fuckhead. Don't talk to me about having a 'duty' to 'keep the population in check' when you were the ones that put them in that situation in the first place.

Argh! Hypocracy. It buuuuuurns!

Yogini

I do agree that hunting is totally wrong and that most hunters are total jackoffs. But at least a hunter is willing to take a life him or herself rather than eating the meat after someone else got their hands bloody and took a life.

My father hunts for two reasons: 1) he thinks its fun (ugh) and 2) he thinks that if you eat meat, you should have to kill the animal yourself (I grudgingly respect this philosophy.) I was staying with a Chilean family several years ago and somehow my father's hunting came up. The mother and oldest daughter in the family were horrified and started talking about how mean hunting is and that as a veterinarian, my father should have more compassion for animals. I agree with this, but the bizarre part is that they were frying meat while they were telling me this! I tried to politely explain that there's no difference between buyging meat at the supermarket and hunting the animal yourself (there is, see above, but most people are beyond understanding that). The mom actually said "Yes, there is a difference!" I had to get along with these people because they'd taken me into their home, so I didn't raise a stink, but it still blows my mind that people think like this.

Incidentally, Chileans are definitely not vegan friendly, but they eat way less meat than gringos do.

Hunting is definitely wrong but at least its a more 'honest' way of feeding yourself, if you're a meat eater, than picking up a neatly wrapped package of meat from the supermarket. At least you're facing the animal you're killing.

If everyone had to kill, gut and skin their own meat before eating it, I can't see there being many meat eaters on the planet.

This girl at work says she gags everytime she has to deal with the raw meat she prepares for her an her boyfriends meals and I don't understand why she does it. She was a vegetarian for years and literally has to force the image of the animal/raw meat from her mind when eating the finished meal. Odd.

I am extremely concerned about people who are "wiiling" to take the life of other beings. Studies show that people who kill other beings usually are also willing to harm other humans. The same studies show that people who murder other humand usuallu have a history of murdering other animals. I feel that there is no honour in the taking of the life of others whether it is to eat or not. Most hunters aren't hunting for food they are hunting for SPORT, that means for the THRILL of the stalk and kill.

Don't take me to be contradicting you Yogini, I think you are bringing up some interesting talking points.

I don't know about where you live but the state I live in New South Wales, Austraalaia, allows people to murder millions of Kangaroos and other creatures, the hunting clubs are clamouring to be allowed to shoot and kill a wider variety of creatures underthe guise of population control.

ZM

One thing I get is -- "You don't know plants don't feel pain!" Erm yes, I do?

And then I get the "You can't prove they don't!" No shit, Sherlock. You can't prove a negative.

I can't prove you do or don't exist completely and totally without any doubt, only beyond reasonable doubt. Pain needs both a central nervous system and neurotransmitters (!), if you block the latter with, say, endorphins, you won't feel pain.

As for the "they respond when they're attacked!" thing, guess what: single-celled organisms will jerk away when touched. Ask a biologist of any sort if they feel pain.

Seriously. Just because something reacts doesn't mean it feels pain; however, animals have a pain-receptor system virtually identical to humans.

And among the other ignorant comments:

"Veganism isn't really doing anything." -- Shitload more than you're doing.
    "What would you rather have -- grazing happily in a field for your life until you're killed, or starving and having your throat ripped out?" -- Give me liberty or give me death: it means more than 'kill me, please!'
    "Not all living beings are equal, therefore cows are inferior to us." -- Mmm, I love the smell of fallacy in the morning.
    "We deserve to subjugate other beings, since we figured out how to live a life of comfort." -- And chances are, I could probably rape/kill you, since I'm a good bit heavier than many people. Do I "deserve" to?
    "Animals don't CHOOSE." -- No shit, you're not letting them, fuckhead.

I totally agree with you abrennan, the concept of hunting for sport is so messed up. As is hunting for any reason, whether you're going to eat it or not. Its completely unacceptable.

How can hunting another living being with guns or dogs be considered sport, the animal has no way of fighting back, they can't retaliate and don't have any defence atall. Its totally sick.

I grew up in the country wherea lot of fox hunting went on and when I was about 6 the hunted fox ran into our garden shed, persued by loads of dogs and my Dad locked it in to protect it and we had loads of red coated horse riders hanging around saying 'Have you seen the fox?' and my Dad totally kicked off at them.

Ive seen pheasants plucked fron the sky by bullets too, this beautiful creature flying away and then BANG and you just see it fall like a stone.

Another time when I was little, on holiday in Spain me and my bro were flicking through spanish tv and there was bullfighting, it was totally scarring to watch them running with spearing hanging out of them.

What is WRONG with people?

I can see why people eat meat: They like the taste; being a strict vegetarian can estrange one somewhat from other people; and perhaps they are unable to feel much empathy with an animal.

However, to take it to the level of actually deriving pleasure from killing an animal is a different matter.

For instance, in a war the soldiers are killing others because they feel that they must do so--for whatever reason. But the soldier who is enjoying killing other people is a sick (or perhaps evil) human being--at least temporarily.

Default Re: Stupid things non-vegans say..

Quote Crimsonskies
    Alright, so many of you may be familiar with 'livejournals'.. So I was looking at this one yesterday from this girl who attended my school. But, any rate, she knew I was vegan, so while I was reading it, her most recent entry had said..

"i am going vegan, not because it's healthier and better for the world and all that blah blah blah i don't care.
    i am do it because it will help me go back to a size 1 jeans."

For one, I think that's horrible. And I wouldn't consider that 'going vegan' because your heart isn't in the right place when you're doing it. I just consider it going on a diet..

Anyway, point is...stupid things non-vegans say about being vegan or stupid reasons they say for either wanting or not wanting to go vegan...

Some people make me sick.
    It could have just been bravado to keep the omnis off her back....

Default Re: Stupid things non-vegans say..

It could have just been bravado to keep the omnis off her back...

And if it means that shes not supporting the meat and dairy industry and buying in to that market then thats fine by me. Maybe her heart isn't in the right place but if shes not consuming those things its still beneficial to animals and the earth. Maybe Im missing the point a bit but on a basic level her actions, by not consuming animal products, are still doing good. If she gets in to her size 1's then fair play to her, I hope it takes her a life time of 'veganism' to get there.

Two friends of mine when I had a cold once: "We never get colds because we eat meat, we're very healthy".
    The wife weighs at least 15 stone and neither of them (aged 35) can walk more than 200 yards without puffing, panting, moaning, craking, clutching their chests.
    I took them and their kids on a 2 mile walk once and wheras I at 43 was bounding along like a gazelle, they all looked like they were going to die!!!
    Healthy my arse, I wonder how long it will be before they get diabetes/heart disease

Yogini

Well, I never get colds and I DON'T eat meat. So there. I also never get salmonella and ecoli.

Love,
    Anna

Yogini

I just thought of another one. "Don't be stupid! You can't avoid animal products - they're in everything. There's animal fat in soap, for crissakes!"

Love,
    Anna

Omni: "But lions eat meat, so why shouldn't we?"
    Me: "If all the lions jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?"

Stupid response from me, but the guy I was talking to didn't want to have a reasonable discussion.
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

I usually get 'it's natural for us to eat meat. Most animals eat other animals' I answer with 'Yes and some animals eat their young, but I wouldn't consider it" People tend to get huffy when you respond to their comments and I find that interesting. Could it be guilt?

Yogini

Quote treehugga
    Could it be guilt?
    I totally believe it's guilt. People who accept that what they're eating/wearing is dead and aren't bothered by it won't argue with you. The ones who get defensive are the ones who know, deep down, that it's wrong but aren't strong enough, smart enough, or whatever, to do anything about it.

Love,
    Anna

Default Stupid things omnivores say.......

What do you mean you dont eat meat? You dont know what you are missing?

I picked this up from another forum. Shhhhhhhh dont tell anyone.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

It's probably been on here before but my two bug bears are

1. "I'm a vegetarian....I only eat animals that eat grass". This is from an uncle who always says it then laughs a very long loud laugh.
    2." Ah yes BUT if you were stuck on a dessert island with only a rabbit would you eat the rabbit". My reply now is - "the first time I was stuck on a dessert island I was tempted, but the second time I didn't think about it, and by the third time".... and I just keep going until the person asking gets fed up with me being sarky.
    I used to have a booklet called the vegans spotter guide where I could tick off stupid comments.

Quiet Vegan

One of the arseholes I work with hunts rabbits and decided to tell me how he skins and cooks them. He thought he was being funny but soon stopped laughing when I looked him straight in the eye and told him how disrespectful of my beliefs he was being. He hasn't said a word since

On a good note, my friend goes out of the room if she has a meal with meat in it.

Quote nettie
    2." Ah yes BUT if you were stuck on a dessert island with only a rabbit would you eat the rabbit". My reply now is - "the first time I was stuck on a dessert island I was tempted, but the second time I didn't think about it, and by the third time".... and I just keep going until the person asking gets fed up with me being sarky.
    LOL

I love that one. I hope I get to use it. Oh please, please, please let some omni ask me the desert island question!!!!
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Unhappy Re: Silly/ignorant comments from meat eaters

1) Do you wear leather? (I don't but they're always trying to "catch" you)
    2) Human teeth and intestine shape indicate meat is the natural human diet
    3) That what they're bred for
    4) Eating dog/cat/horse is so disgusting and immoral (but somehow eating cow pig chicken is not)
    5) veal calves are only tied to those doghouses for a short time
    6) as others mentioned, any symptom of illness is because of your veganism
    7) Factory farms don't exist since you can see the cows running in the fields when you go to the countryside
    8) They're always stunned before they're killed so they don't feel it
    9) Farmers really love their animals so they'd never mistreat them
    10) Why would a farmer mistreat an animal? Animals that are miserable and unhealthy won't make as good meat/milk/eggs whatever so its in the farmers interest to make sure they're happy
    ....and on and on and on

i got some of the DUMMEST comments from my uncle this weekend, however most of them were just in good fun () in other words, he doesn't mean most of the dumb stuff he says, he just likes to give me a hard time
    Peace Love Surf.

LittleNellColumbia

"so you dont drink cows milk....what about goat milk?!"

"dont you even eat fish?!"

"well what do you think animals are made for?"

"i only fish for sport its not like i eat them"

"im a vegetarian and i only ever eat white meat"

I am friends with this gorgeous girl who i met through dancing...i told her i was vegan and why, the next time i saw her she was a vegetarian!! wooooooohoooooo! but the dumb thing she said was:

"i cant be vegan coz im a growing dancer and ill get sick..." but meh im just happy she made the first step"

"im a vegetarian and i only ever eat white meat"

Arrrggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't even go there. I want to hit people who say this.
    Silent but deadly :p

oo...when i first went veg, my friend's mom didn't really get the concept and when i told her i didn't want the turkey she said: "but it's fat free!"
    Peace Love Surf.

LittleNellColumbia

These are a few annoying comments i had today:

I just asked my mum a favour
    me: can you please get me some penut butter on the way home.

mum: cant i get you something else, its so fatty and greasy

me: well so is meat and eggs but you still eat that dont you?

mum: mutter

and my sister

me: did you know honey is bees vomit?

sis: no it isnt!

me: yes it is, they harvest the honey then eat it so it can be regurgitated for the colony on there return.

sis: ewww but it tastes good

me: yeh pity the bees may get hurt

sis: well they are working bees

Me: oh right i forgot, bees were put on this earth prposly to serve us humans and make us all the honey we want right?

sis: stop saying that your such a bitch you always say things to hurt my feelings and make me feel like you care about animals more than me

me:im not trying to make you feel bad at all, if i kept my mouth shut, how would i be helping the anaimls? im not going to just sit by incase i "make someine feel bad"

sis: yeh well watever.

I hate that

Quote moochbabe
    oo...when i first went veg, my friend's mom didn't really get the concept and when i told her i didn't want the turkey she said: "but it's fat free!"

hahahahaha. *head-desk* I think this is my favorite so far.
    "Boy, I got a vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals."
    -- Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid

it IS a wonderful comment isn't it?
    Peace Love Surf.

My mom, this afternoon: "You can eat coconut, right?"

I've been trying to figure out if she still doesn't know what veganism is, or if she just didn't know that coconut is a fruit.

i get things like that often, especially from my best friend actually i think she really knows the answer she just wants to make sure before she offers me something...
    Peace Love Surf.

People who say, "Well what do you eat then" as if they can't possibly imagine that there is anything left to eat if you take animal products out of your diet.
    I am off to my bike clubs annual Christmas party on Saturday and the caterers are already throwing a wobbly over what to cook for me. I have told them I don't eat any margerine products because I know full well I'll get marg on potatoes that isn't vegan.

There is one particlar person who takes my Veganism very personally, that says it's a fad and that I should stop being Gay. (despite the tone of their language they are in fact in their 20s.

Sure. Being healthy and enjoying my food for the first time os a fad. And it has also made me fancy men. I don't think so.

Note: I'm not homophobic, it's just not my cup of tea.

That's okay, Spjessop. Don't you know that I am a bark eating lesbo? That coming from a woman in her 40's with 2 college degrees. Who knows my husband well.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Yogini

When I was in college the Student Body Association tried to cut off funding to the Women's Resource Center. I participated in the subsequent protest, along with one of my professors. The university newspaper article about the march featured a quote from a female student who said she didn't care if the funding was cut off "because they're all a bunch of dykes." When my professor read this, she grinned and said "Don't tell my husband!"

Love,
    Anna

LMFAO
    Peace Love Surf.

Yogini

Quote spjessop
    There is one particlar person who takes my Veganism very personally, that says it's a fad and that I should stop being Gay.
    In this person's defense, he or she may not be implying that being vegan is being homosexual. I'm about as supportive of gay rights as they come, and even I have the really bad habit of referring to things I find impossibly precious or cutesy as gay or queer. I was reading a magazaine last night and a woman was saying how you could Christmas baskets for your friends with things like antique mirrors and combs and vintage hair ribbons. Before I could stop myself, I was thinking "God, that's gay." Which is kind of funny when you consider that the woman quoted was one of the cast of "The L Word."

Love,
    Anna

The most rediculous thing ever said to me was: "It would be horrible if everyone went vegatarian. The entire economy would collapse! My husband is a banker and he knows!"

LittleNellColumbia

In grade 5 i was a vegetarian...this chick who had no friends sprerad around the class that i was a lesbian and my friends told me i was like "what the hell are you on about woman?" and she was like "my mum said that anouther word for vegetarian means lesbian" riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Quote munchymkr
    The most ridiculous thing ever said to me was: "It would be horrible if everyone went vegetarian. The entire economy would collapse! My husband is a banker and he knows!"
    People used to say the same thing about the economy collapsing if slavery ended.
    Eve

Quote eve
    People used to say the same thing about the economy collapsing if slavery ended.
    Excellent point, I'll put that in my, "Arguing with meat eaters" folder

Quote Yogini
    In this person's defense, he or she may not be implying that being vegan is being homosexual. I'm about as supportive of gay rights as they come, and even I have the really bad habit of referring to things I find impossibly precious or cutesy as gay or queer. I was reading a magazaine last night and a woman was saying how you could Christmas baskets for your friends with things like antique mirrors and combs and vintage hair ribbons. Before I could stop myself, I was thinking "God, that's gay." Which is kind of funny when you consider that the woman quoted was one of the cast of "The L Word."

Love,
    Anna
    I know what you mean, but in their case they do mean it. They are a rampant homophobe. They're of the "I'm not racist but..." variety of bigot.

Yogini

Ooooh, one of those. I have lots of experience with those types and they're really unbelievable. I have a cousin who swears up and down she's not a racist, but refers to blacks as "nigros." She also swears up an down she's not a homophobe, but screams "BITCH!!! SLUT!!!" whenever she sees Ellen Degenerses on TV.

I don't see much of her anyore.

Love,
    Anna

BTW, I really get a kick out of people who are trying to say that it's OK with them to be gay, but feel obligated to say "well, I'm straight, but..." What they're really saying is that it's OK to be gay, but they sure as hell don't want anybody thinking THEY'RE gay. Same line of thinking goes into that "straight but not narrow" bumper sticker I'm always seeing.

Quote eve
    I also used to hear that said often as a child re women entering into the workforce. That there would then not be enough jobs for the men - God forbid!!