Thread: Traveling Vegan

Default Traveling Vegan

Hi,
    I'm quite new to veganism, and I was hoping to get some tips and options. I am a anime/manga artist and for most of the warm months, I travel around to near by states setting up at conventions. Usually, I am gone for the weekend, Thurs to Mon.
    I doubt that I will have any refridgeration available to me. I have pretty much figured on being nearly raw all weekend, since many whole fruits don't need refirgeration, or preperation.
    I like fruit, but i was hoping someone had some tips on other no prep, no refridge foods and drinks. Or even a decent vegan fast food option(not holding my breath).
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thank you very much!
    "Uh, we don't eat meat. It's kind of like a professional courtesy." -Maggie, Home on the Range

ConsciousCuisine

Default Re: Traveling Vegan

Get a cooler, keep it in your car and transfer your perishable goods to the hotel mini refrigerator.

If you don't want to bring perishables, bring baby carrots, celery, nut and seed butters, fresh fruit, dried fruit, nuts, seeds, packets of oatmeal and ground flax for a healthy breakfast; you can use the coffee maker to warm water and make it yourself!

Bring individual boxes of rice/soy milk.

Bring boxes of a hearty cereal.

Bring baked goods such as healthy high-fiber and protein muffins you made yourself. Also, bring cookies just because

Bring dehydrated hummus and pita bread/chips/tortillas to eat with the following:

Bring canned soups, refried beans, veggies, chili and a can opener.

Bring dehydrated black beans and split pea soup mix. Add hot water from the coffee maker a can of corn to these for a quick and easy meal.

The possibilities are endless!

PM me if you need any help troubleshooting.

CC, you rock!
    Thank you so much for your ideas, no wonder everyone here absolutly loves you! I will probably print your post and take it with me when i stock up for each trip.
    Those are some awesome ideas.
    Thank you so much!!!
    "Uh, we don't eat meat. It's kind of like a professional courtesy." -Maggie, Home on the Range

what about some ricecakes or suitable crackers with a veg spread from a tube?

some halva? sachets of dried miso soup to mix with hot water?

pitta bread?

marinated tofu?

Gwaychou,
    I usually find the local health food store when I can't travel with food. This is relatively easy to do in the states. I have even found vegan prepared foods in Alaska. Sometimes I get take-out from local veggie restaurants. If you stay at a hotel they will generally know where the veg restaurants are located. And the visitors centers (or computer websearch) can direct you to health/whole foods stores.

If you bake, you could make a whole grain bread or muffin with nuts/fruit and then freeze them. That way you can make them when you have time and just pull them out of the freezer when you leave. You could also make tofu jerky, which keeps at room temperature and is much more economical than the stuff for purchase.

And I always travel with some homemade trail mix since nuts and dried fruit can double as a meal in an emergency. I don't really like nutrition bars but they are also okay.

Lots of big brand stores are carrying soy/gluten based "meats" these days, so if you are into fake meats you could bring bread/rolls, some mustard or other spread and have 2 sandwiches (shouldn't go bad if you eat them within a few hours). Some salad bars also have vegan choices. Of course, this only applies if you are staying near a grocery store.

Good luck!
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Quote qwaychou
    ...even a decent vegan fast food option(not holding my breath).
    Well some others may not agree here because they do not believe in supporting these companies but here are some fast food options.

Subway: Veggie sub on white bread (the only vegan bread), no cheese obviously, and the mustard and sweet onion sauce are fine.

Wendy's: Baked potato plain (I'm sure the margarine that comes with it is non-vegan), side salad (I always had the House/Italian dressing it looks vegan to me), and the fruit tray minus the yougurt dip.

All those places also serve juice and water if you don't want pop.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

If you are staying at a hotel, you can buy a hot pot (a pot that plugs in for heating food and water) I had one in college and still bring it with when I travel. The sell them at most grocery stores. Rival is one brand. The one I have

If you really travel a lot, you may want to invest in an electric cooler. They plug into the cigarette lighter in the car and then covert to plug into the wall plag at the hotel.

Also, go to a camping store and get some metal or plastic dishes to bring. Just a bowl, plate, mug, set of cuttlery, etc. i generally bring a sharp knife as well. I also have a travel coffee cup and a lexan french press (from REI).

Other things I bring (I pack a cooler, and dry goods) -

peanut butter/almond butter
    whole wheat bread
    apples, oranges, grapes
    soycreamer (and my own coffee, and my french press)
    "ramen" style quick cook noodles. I usually get some from the asian section at the store that are vegan
    soy yogurt (i like o'soy brand)
    Luna Bars (I like lemon)
    Stonewall's jerky
    bag of almonds
    banana bread (i make my own before hand, but it stores well)
    margarine (smart balance light w/flax seed oil is my fav)
    case of bottled water
    Tings (just because)

Also, Fantastic Foods makes a lot of dehydrated items that are vegan. you can bring those and make them in a hot pot, allthough some of them make A LOT of food (like the chili, which also requires tomatos and beans) so check before what you may need to add. Most say a bit of oil, but I usually leave it out. Cans of soup are good too (I like Amy's Organics brans) but soup is heavy, but if you just bring a few I guess it is OK.

Also, see if you can get a hotel with a microwave/fridge or even a kitchenette.

I also go grocery shopping when I get places and just buy the normal stuff I eat at home that is prepackaged (which is actually less and less every year...)

My first convention of this year is in two weeks. I've never done a convention vegan. I trully appreciate all the great ideas, and I'm resurrecting this in hopes for a few new one,s too. I'm printing the whole thread out and taking it with me to the stores thsi weekend when i'll shop for the show.
    Wish me luck!!