Thread: what do pregnant vegans eat?

Default what do pregnant vegans eat?

my mother used to be vegan but when she was having me the dr told her that i wasnt growing propaly becausei wasnt gtting enough clacium, and told her to eat eggs,she should of known that she wasnt the only vegan mother going to give birth but she was quite young at 18 and she had a lot of other stuff going on in her life, and she just went and ate loads of eggs anyway. and i was just wondering what should she have ate being a vegan mother to be?

Default Re: what do pregnant vegans eat?

As far as I know, pregnant vegans should eat like the ones not pregant, except a bit more and maybe some multi-vitamins in addition to that, just to make sure they get enough calcium, iron and the like. Eggs have protein but so have beans, tofu, seitan, just to name a few. Maybe the doctor just wasn`t properly aware of vegan protein and nutrient sources. Not knowing more about your mother (not that I should know, it`s her business) it`s impossible to tell but maybe she didn`t have a well-balanced diet or she was smoking for example (things like that have their influence on the baby and his/her growth).(And I haven`t been pregnant myself )

The thing I am a bit concerned can be missing in a normal, and good balanced vegan diet is DHA.

I am not pregnant, but to be on the safe side I soon am starting on DEVA Omega-3 DHA Supplement. It is harmless, so I want to have it as a safety net, just in case.
    Need help finding gift! The tread is located her

I have had two children and was vegan with both. I just ate a little more than i would usually eat. I took folic acid before i got pregnant with the second but the first was a suprise so i took it as soon as i found out. I was never worried, had no problems, they weighed nearly the same when born. If you are worried you can always ask your midwife or doctor and if they are any good at there job they will give you good advice and not try to talk you into eating things you dont need

I don't get how eating eggs increases calcium levels? Am I missing something?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Doctors don't seem to know much about vegan nutrition. From what I understand they receive approximately half a days training on nutrition which is funded by the meat and dairy industry. I've lost count of the number of times I heard someone say "I used to be vegetarian but my doctor told me I need to eat meat"

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Maisiepaisie
    Doctors don't seem to know much about vegan nutrition. From what I understand they receive approximately half a days training on nutrition which is funded by the meat and dairy industry. I've lost count of the number of times I heard someone say "I used to be vegetarian but my doctor told me I need to eat meat"
    Doctors don't know much about nutrition in general. It's sad and frustrating how ill-informed and ignorant (many, not all Doctors, that is) they are about matters of health and nutrition, really.

I will second what CC says. I live with a doctor (my hubby) and he knows nothing about nutrition - except what I've taught him. And if you saw what the doctors eat at work you would never listen to any nutritional advice from them.

Even my sister's pediatrician asked for the name of a book she was quoting (I think it was 'Raising Vegetarian Children") so he could refer to it with future veggie families. Seems as though his medical training didn't cover vegan/vegetarian (any) nutrition. Imagine that.

After attending some nutritional conferences (amazingly not influenced by the supplement company that sponsored them), I would definitely take about 300-400 mg of vegan DHA during pregnancy and breastfeeding to insure proper brain development of the infant. Not everyone gets the correct ratio of omega6mega3 EFAs, nor does everyone convert omega 3's to DHA properly - so this is one supplement I would take.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

I asked my midwife for information on what to eat and she was wonderful and gave me lots of leaflets. I didnt expect them to sit down and be able to tell me but she was very helpful and suportive.

During my pregancy I wasn't vegan in the strict sense, although I certainly wasn't eating the average western diet. I surprised all my midwives by having excellent blood results throughout a totally problem-free pregnancy. I agree with what the past posters have said. Vegan mums should just eat what an average vegan should eat, but more of it. I'm vegan now and we're TTC number two, I take a vegan pre-natal supplement with folic acid, b12 etc, and a vegan DHA supplement. I have no idea why doctors and midwives get worried when they hear a mum-to-be is vegan, I'd be more worried about the omnivores eating chips, biscuits and macdonalds. But of course, that's ok c'os they're getting meat... p.s the one vit to avoid in pregnancy is vit A

oldsilverhead

The following should help/throw some light on the subject.
    http://veganbuddies.org.uk/index.php...d=30&topic=7.0

oldsilverhead

princessemma

Quote VeganMoominGirl
    I take a vegan pre-natal supplement with folic acid, b12 etc, and a vegan DHA supplement.
    Where do you buy you pre-natal supplement?

It's by Bio-Care, and is called Antenatal Forte, my local healthfood store here in London stocks it. I find its pretty expensive (over £10), but it's important to take the right supplement in early pregnancy (and prior to conception). I wanted one that combined my vegan needs as well as my (hopefully) newly pregnant needs: with the B12, as well as the 400mg of Folic Acid but without Vit A. As a high dose of Folic Acid is only really important in the first trimester, I'll switch back to my regular vegan supplement (Veg 1 available from the Vegan Soc website) for the remainder of the pregnancy. My diet is very varied and virtually free of processed foods, and as I stayed in good health for my first pregnancy I'm feeling positive about this one (when it happens lol!)

ConsciousCuisine

Quote VeganMoominGirl
    During my pregancy I wasn't vegan in the strict sense, although I certainly wasn't eating the average western diet.
    Would you elaborate? Did you choose to stop being vegan due to cravings or did your health staff urge you to include animal products? I know how Doctors over here are but don't have any means of comparison to UK Doctors.

Well, I just wasn't a vegan back then. I've not eaten dairy or eggs for a number of years due to IBS and lactose intolerance. I shop organically and ethically so anything not locally sourced, air-freighted or with untraceable animal products was off my shopping list too. I ate fish as I figured it reasonable to eat an animal that I would be capable of hunting myself, and for that reason also, I used to eat game. I've kinda come to pure veganism along a different route to most. Dairy was the first to go, but meat has been the last, after I eliminated dubious animal products from other aspects of my life (which I guess is often the last thing people do after they sort their diet out). I just got to the stage where continuing to eat meat, however organic, free-range and ethically sourced (direct from the farm) seemed a bit of an anomoly to me. I have to say that since eliminating meat, my stomach problems have been nil, and I feel better than ever, physically and mentally

Quote VeganMoominGirl
    I'd be more worried about the omnivores eating chips, biscuits and macdonalds. But of course, that's ok c'os they're getting meat... p.s the one vit to avoid in pregnancy is vit A
    oh i so agree! McD's is so much more worrisome - bleh!

why avoid vitamin a?

am very newly pregnant and haven't yet seen anything about vitamin a !
    "Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel

Folate/calcium/iron (of course).

Excess Vit A is not good. Warnings are usually on packets.

You need to check you're getting adequate iodine - especially if you don't add iodised salt to your food or eat sea vegetables. This is really important as a lack of it can lower the intelligence of the baby.

Also, a vegan DHA supplement couldn't hurt or at least flax oil.

I'm sure you could fine a lot of articles about this.

Quote SarahM
    oh i so agree! McD's is so much more worrisome - bleh!

why avoid vitamin a?

am very newly pregnant and haven't yet seen anything about vitamin a !
    Large doses of vitamin A (retinol) are linked to severe birth defects. Beta-Caratene is still deemed safe as far as i know.

Here is a link to one article, you should google it and speak to your midwife/dr about it.

http://www.thenutritionreporter.com/A-vitamins.html

what is this DHA everyone is talking about?
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

Docahexaenoic acid, or DHA is a vital component of the phospholipids of human cellular membranes, especially those in the brain and retina. It is necessary for optimal neural development and visual acuity. DHA is the most abundant omega-3 fatty acid in human breast milk. Usual doses consumed by pregnant and nursing women are 100 to 200 milligrams daily.
    Basically the correct amounts of omega 3 and 6 are needed for your body to form DHA.

A good article

The Vegan Diet During Pregnancy and Lactation
    by Reed Mangels, Ph.D., R.D.

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/veganpregnancy.htm
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Quote *lydia*
    my mother used to be vegan but when she was having me the dr told her that i wasnt growing propaly becausei wasnt gtting enough clacium, and told her to eat eggs
    Very weird...like Tigerlily said, eggs aren't what you'd choose to eat for calcium. I've had 3 vegan kids and I ate quite a lot of sesame, as seeds and whole tahini, and dried fruit and nuts, and dark leafy greens, all of which contain lots of calcium as well as loads of other essential nutrients like folic acid and EFAs. Also, I was the only woman in my ante-natal group to need no iron supplements.

As other people have said, doctors are woefully ill-informed regarding veganism.
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

I forgot to mention also, that it's pretty much impossible for foetuses or breast-feeding babies to be short of calcium, because ifthe mother doesn't get enough in her diet, it will be taken from her bones to compensate.
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Vegan DHA isn't available in Australia so I settle for Omega 3. I would be interested in trying it (I'm not pregnant) but it's so expensive.

whatever they can hold down! Amazing what the body tells you it wants: coffee smelled horrible but dark beer (sips) went down a treat! My baby was small for gestational age and they didn't freak-out about my vegan diet- no big deal in London. as above, if your blood/urine checks are okay
    you are doing something right. One thing to consider: the foods of pregnancy/breastfeeding are filtering to the child; mine's first favorite foods were black olives and mushrooms!
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

i ate whatever i could get my hands on!

um... a lot of soup. i really loved soup when i was pg. lentils. lots of lentils. lots of whole grain toast. a fair bit of soy milk.

tons and tons of water.

gobs of hummus.

lots of salad and steamed green veggies.

they checked my blood a lot (mostly because of my thyroid, but they'd throw in iron, as they were doing the draw anyway). my midwife was always surprised at how good my iron levels were 'given my diet'. eventually i said, what, my iron rich diet? and told her what i ate. ah. she said, yes, i can see that you're not lacking. duh.

i did a lot of eating according to craving.

Quote VeganMoominGirl
    Well, I just wasn't a vegan back then. I've not eaten dairy or eggs for a number of years due to IBS and lactose intolerance. I shop organically and ethically so anything not locally sourced, air-freighted or with untraceable animal products was off my shopping list too. I ate fish as I figured it reasonable to eat an animal that I would be capable of hunting myself, and for that reason also, I used to eat game. I've kinda come to pure veganism along a different route to most. Dairy was the first to go, but meat has been the last, after I eliminated dubious animal products from other aspects of my life (which I guess is often the last thing people do after they sort their diet out). I just got to the stage where continuing to eat meat, however organic, free-range and ethically sourced (direct from the farm) seemed a bit of an anomoly to me. I have to say that since eliminating meat, my stomach problems have been nil, and I feel better than ever, physically and mentally
    That's very similar to my experience also.
    When the water is still, it can behold the moon.

I am pregnant with my second baby and I am still breast feeding. As I am concerned about calcium with having 2 so close I am taking calcium and magnesium supplements, but Ia m sure my diet would be fine. I am also taking pregnacare from Holland and Barrett.

I eat more broccoli when I am pregnant as there is a lot of calcium in it as well as what I normally eat, salads, chocolate, soya, beans etc. Anything vegan, except peanuts.

Why no peanuts? i have heard people say eating peanuts during certain trimesters causes an increased risk for your child to have peanut allergies - is this why?

How is it going with breastfeeding and being pregnant? I have heard that some women do fine all the way through pregancy, and others seem to have thier milk production cease. Are there any tips to keep it flowing?

I don't have children yet by the way, but we are planning to have them and would like them very close. I also would like to breastfeed for 2 years, so I was wondering if this will be a problem.

Smile Re: what do pregnant vegans eat?

If you eat peanuts while you are pregnant it can cause the baby to become allergic to them, particually if there is allergies in the family, I am just over cautious.

He is not having as many feeds as he was doing, maybe 3 - 4 a day not he is eating loads. But I seem to be supplying enough. I am not producing as much but I think that is because of him not demanding as he was.

Good luck when you are trying to concieve Wild Flower.

Thanks Soyalicius!

We probably won't be trying to conceive for another year, but I am trying to get healthy and read up on everything now.

I too avoided eating peanuts when pregnant. After i got over the morning (noon and night) sickness at 4 months i ate lots of foods. i had cravings for strawberries so ate them all the time. I also ate pretty much what i do now but more of it! soya yogurt, lots and lots of salad with houmous, soups and steamed veggies,stir frys and more. my pregnancy was fine and the blood tests the midwives took all came back fine too.

soyalicius- is pregnacare vegan? i saw it advertised when i was pregnant but wasnt sure about it.

coney

Quote Wildflower
    Large doses of vitamin A (retinol) are linked to severe birth defects. Beta-Caratene is still deemed safe as far as i know.

]
    After I found out I was pregnant, I was taking a multi, a Bcomplex, a zinc and an iron, but when I saw my midwife, she said to drop everything but the iron, and get a Prenatal vit. The multi would have too much A in it, and the Prenatal would have the right amounts of everything else Me and Mini Me would need.

I could not see any non vegan ingredients in it TBH or I would not take it. Tesco also do one that is definetley vegan as it would say onder allergies if there was milk or egg in it and it says suitable for vegetarians.

Quote ConsciousCuisine View Post
    Doctors don't know much about nutrition in general. It's sad and frustrating how ill-informed and ignorant (many, not all Doctors, that is) they are about matters of health and nutrition, really.
    I agree, I have found this many times and it really frustrates me. I am planning to do a degree in Medicine when I finish my A Levels, and after my training as a doctor, I hope to specialise in nutrition and advise people that meat and dairy is not essential for health

Quote coney View Post
    After I found out I was pregnant, I was taking a multi, a Bcomplex, a zinc and an iron, but when I saw my midwife, she said to drop everything but the iron, and get a Prenatal vit. The multi would have too much A in it, and the Prenatal would have the right amounts of everything else Me and Mini Me would need.
    Are prenatal vitamins prescribed, or do they tell you to get a certain brand, or are women just on there own on that one? for some reason, i thought they prescribed them, but I guess I am not sure why I think that...

All of these suggestions are good suggestions, but it's really important that you talk to your "doctor" about what supplements you should and should not be taking during pregnancy - in person, not via internet information. And by "doctor" I mean a midwife or holistic practitioner that has experience with pregnancy and childbirth and who also will be knowledgable about veganism. You have to be really careful what synthetic products you put into your body during pregnancy, especially the first several weeks when the most important systems of the baby's body are forming rapidly. So please don't start over doing the vitamins without consulting with a health care practitioner first. Honestly, the baby will probably be fine irregardless of your diet (assuming you aren't drinking and doing drugs) - afterall, women have been giving birth for thousands of years, many of them very malnourished and unhealthy. But if you can be safe, it's best to do so.

I only took folic acid tablets for a few months before and a month during. I was told not to take any other supplements and never took anything else.

Pregnant women should make sure to get enough folic acid. A bunch of foods have this, some examples are banana or orange juice. (Deficiency in folic acid can cause spino bifida in the baby.)
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

Perhaps this book has some useful info...
    http://www.amazon.com/Pregnancy-Chil.../dp/0961424826

Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!