Thread: Drinking water before, during, after a meal...

stevebzzz

Default Drinking water before, during, after a meal...

Hi,

What are the thoughts about drinking water before, during, and after a meal? Does it aid/hurt the digestion process? Should I refrain from drinking for a certain amount of time before during and after a meal, or does it matter?

Thanks,

Steve

Default Re: Drinking Water before, during, and after a meal...should I?

I know some people get all "worked up" over drinking water and they believe one should only do it whenever, blah blah.

I do know if you drink water before eating, it will help fill you up (learned that from Weight Watchers). I also heard drinking water after eating flushes out all the nutrients you just ate but I am not sure.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

stevebzzz

Well, I went from zero glasses of water a day two weeks ago...to 8 glasses a day, and I just wonder if drinking water close to eating dilutes the digestive process in the stomache or anything like that? Or as one of my friend says it helps cause it helps liquidy the food, and makes it easier to digest???

I try to drink most of my fluids between meals, but I don't worry if I have a mouthful or two with a meal.

I don't know whether there's any real evidence for the idea that water dilutes the digestive juices, but what is true I think is that you can sometimes eat more without realising it if you sluice it down with gulps of water

Someone told me that you should drink loads of water before you eat to make you feel fuller then I read somewhere that you shouldn't drink half an hour before eating as it dilutes your digestive juices? Sorry that wasn't very helpful was it!! Be good to know though!

stevebzzz

Well, it definately makes me feel fuller...In fact...I find myself forcing myself to eat now lol!

are you wanting to lose weight steve? i was just wondering if that is your thinking behind drinking more water around meal times??

personally i would rather eat than feel full up and sloshy with water slopping around in my stomach. i generally have to force myself to drink whereas my husband and daughter are like sponges, they can just drink and drink

I noticed if I drink during a meal, it forces me to slow down and eat less because I feel fuller. I used to shovel it all in much too quickly.

ConsciousCuisine

Drinking water (or any fluid) prior to, during and just after eating dilutes your digestive fluids and and inhibit the digestion of food and the absorbtion of nutrients.

A general "rule" to support your digestion is to drink no more than 4 oz. before during or after the meal and to wait 30 minutes after drinking larger amounts of fluids before eating and 1 hour or more after a meal before drinking larger amounts of fluids.

I say drink when you're thirsty, whether it's before, after, or during a meal, and all times are before, after, or during a meal unless you don't eat at all.

For example, 6:00 a.m. is before 12:00 p.m., so it's before my lunch meal.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

I have to drink about 4-5 pints of water daily due to a bladder nerve problem, if I don't drink the water I get agonising bladder spasms. It's the pits drinking all that water as I'm never off the toilet It does seem to have improved since I gave up dairy though. All that water doesn't seem to affect appetite or anything tho.
    Silent but deadly :p

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Hemlock
    I have to drink about 4-5 pints of water daily due to a bladder nerve problem, if I don't drink the water I get agonising bladder spasms. It's the pits drinking all that water as I'm never off the toilet
    I drink at least tht much pure water daily (a gallon) or I don't feel well at all.

If I drink less than 2L of water a day, I get really cranky!

stevebzzz

Default My reasons and some more thoughts...

Well, after years of poor health, I stumbled upon the raw lifestyle in my research to feel better. I realize that a diet of raw fruits and vegetables is best, and I am trying towoards that goal. I have so far cut out meats, fish, chicken, sugar, soda, etc. I have seen miraculous results in just one week in terms of my health. I do have weight to lose, but that is just a secondary benefit of approaching a raw diet. The first thing I did was add water to my diet, 8 glasses a day from zero. I think that had a dramatic immediate effect. I have basically eliminated anything artificial or chemicals from my food. I'm juicing. More later...

Seve

ConsciousCuisine

Way to go Steve! This is a great place for support and you seem to have done a great bit of work towards a healthier you already.

The more you read about the "Raw" lifestyle, the more you'll learn about the importance of avoiding fluids before and when eating, chewing each bite 20+ times even if it's a liquid (eat what you drink and drink what you eat!) and so on. Best of luck!

stevebzzz

I wish I could just have an IV of vegetable juice just going into my arm all day long haha! The only problem I think I have...I'm just not eatting enough...I'm not hungry any more...ever since I started drinking all that water I guess. I worry if I'm getting enough vitamins and minerals and stuff. This all started when I started reading about and acid-alkaline diet, and then I started reading this book called being natural in an unnatural world, and I got so turned off by processed food and meats etc, that I barely wanna eat!

stevebzzz

Default Help, Why am I retaining water?

Help,

I'm drinking 2 liters of water every day, but I'm barely peeing! Where is all the water going? I'm eatting very minimally, veg diet. Barely any salt...Strange. I've been on the program for about a week now.

Steve

Default Re: Help, Why am I retaining water?

Since you went from drinking such little water it is not unusual that your body would retain what you have been giving it. I'd recommend that you wait a week and see then, you should be more regular.
    X

stevebzzz

Well I went from ZERO water to 2 liters per day in about 3 days. When I first started I peeed a lot...but now the water seems to be evaporating or going somewhere else...other than the toilet lol!

I suspect that peeing a lot at fist may be accounted to detox.
    X

stevebzzz

Yes and I had a lot to detox! I lived totally on a junk food diet, with tv dinners etc! I feel really good now. But this water issue is just a mystery

Like I said, wait a week and you should start urinating more. You must understand that your body is using the new supplies of water it is getting for various processes that could have decreased functioning over the years of neglect, hence your feeling better.

Glad that you have been enlightened and have adopted a new, more ethical and healthy lifestyle.
    X

stevebzzz

Smile Simple Green Juice Recipe needed...

Hi,

I am looking for a simple green juice recipe for my machine. I want it to taste good, so maybe there would be an apple in there, but I also want to get some greens in there.

I have a really good juice machine that I like, the Breville Juice Fountain.

Thanks,

Steve

stevebzzz

Question Best Juicer to get...

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could share some of thier experiences about juicers with me. I recently bought the Breville Juice Fountain, and am so far impressed, but I worry about it's ability to juice leafy green vegetables etc.

Is there one juicer to get that does it all, or do I need a seperate juicer for leafy greens etc...

Steve

Geoff

Default Re: Best Juicer to get...

If you search the forum for 'juicer', you'll find 3 pages of results, giving you a lot of info.

stevebzzz

Smile South Florida people wanted that can help me along the path...

Hello,

I've been following the lifestyle for about two weeks now, but I could really use some local help with recipes, cooking techniques, shopping tips, or just some general support. I live in the Aventura (North Miami Beach) area, and would love to chat with someone that I can relate to on this issue.

Thanks,

Steve

Default Re: South Florida people wanted that can help me along the path...

Hi,
    I live about 30-45 mins. away from you. When I am in Aventura I love to eat at the Juice & Java on Biscayne Blvd. I dont know if you have been there but they have lots of great organic food items. Check it out!

Maya
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Default Re: Best Juicer to get...

Quote stevebzzz
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could share some of thier experiences about juicers with me.
    Dont get a juiceman Jr. The blades lift up half the time and chop pieces of plastic from the 'feeding chute". mmmm plastic juice. At least they do on mine.

ehh..

I try to drink 3-4 Litres a day, it makes me feel so much better.

Question, are you allowed to drink water straight after eating fruit? Or does the normal rule still apply?

ConsciousCuisine

Well, you are allowed to do as you please and some people say they feel fine drinking with meals, even great amounts of fluids!

Typically, fruit needs to be eaten alone and with only up to 4 oz. of fluid (if any) according to most who subscribe to these beliefs.

Oh I see. Thanks for that.

Default Re: Simple Green Juice Recipe needed...

Quote stevebzzz
    Hi,

I am looking for a simple green juice recipe for my machine. I want it to taste good, so maybe there would be an apple in there, but I also want to get some greens in there.

I have a really good juice machine that I like, the Breville Juice Fountain.

Thanks,

Steve
    spinach and pear!

it is my general belief that water facilitates just about every process that occurs in our body...nutrient absorption, muscle building, fatloss (turning fat into energy), digestion, everything.

there is, however, such a thing as too much water and medical problems start to occur...something to do with liver and kidney function...can't quite remember...but you'd have to be drinking like 4 gallons per day imo to start inducing those problems
    Viva Vegan!

i've always heard that one should try and avoid drinking during meals, but rather have a lot of water between mealtimes. Apparently liquids are digested quicker than solid foods, so the liquid would tend to drag along any solid ingested with it , leaving it no time to be digested properly.
    Piggy

piggy, I've heard the same thing and I don't drink with my meals, I drink between meals. I also drink room-temperature water (because I like it that way), but I've heard that cold water is not good for your body...
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

i've heard the same thing, dancing willow, about cold water. as a matter of fact i don't like cold water either
    Piggy

I think you should drink water when you feel thirsty or a bit tired. Apart from that I drink diet coke and coffee for a "lift". It's probably best not to set rules on when to drink, just do it when you're thirsty - your body will naturally "know" when it wants water.

i get hungry after not eating anything for about 2 days, and can go all day long without getting thirsty.

if i didn't force myself to drink water i'd drink approximately 32 oz per day including the water in my morning coffee.
    Viva Vegan!

Quote Romac
    i get hungry after not eating anything for about 2 days, and can go all day long without getting thirsty.

if i didn't force myself to drink water i'd drink approximately 32 oz per day including the water in my morning coffee.
    The water in coffee doesn't count. Every cup of coffee dehydrates the body of one cup of water.

i know, but that's why i included it...to show how not thirsty i am. I have to absolutely force myself to drink liquids...if i'm even a bit busy i'll completely forget to drink anything and get a splitting headache due to dehydration

but i think my hunger and thirst buttons may be broken

all i'm saying is that if i ate when i was hungry and drank when i was thirsty i think i'd have some major nutrition and hydration problems.
    Viva Vegan!

Default Re: Drinking water before, during, after a meal...

Heh, I have that problem. I'm never thirsty, whereas a couple years ago I'd drink about 4 litres of water everyday. I do not know where the thirst went. Sigh. But I'm finding it hard to 'force' myself to drink. I get maybe 2 glasses in a day.

Quote jamieoneill
    It's probably best not to set rules on when to drink, just do it when you're thirsty - your body will naturally "know" when it wants water.
    I'd be wary on that point. I've read that when your body signals the need to drink - i.e. you feel thirsty - you're already lacking a litre of water. Don't quote me on that, though

Default Re: Drinking water before, during, after a meal...

Actually, drinking water will help with digestion and the absorbtion of nutrients. If you don't need it or don 't believe in it, then don't drink. Some people have to-like me-or else I choke on my food due to a hiatal hernia. And, in fact, cold water leaves your stomach faster & is absorbed faster, so if you want to quickly get hydrated-cold water is the way to go.