Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vegan, Norway

Default Vegan, Norway

Quote Jo
    Just found this forum and am finding a lot of interesting reading. I regularly eat and enjoy vegan food. I'm not sure whether I will make the transition to a 'proper' vegan diet as despite all the comments on how easy it is, I'm not convinced. Not least how difficult it is being invited to supper when most of my friends seem to find it a challenge to cook veggie food let alone vegan. I also keep hens as pets. A friend gave me some honey from her allotment when I was staying with them in Norwich. So it goes on. Also with two teenagers who REALLY don't like much vegan stuff - it would'nt be easy. I do my best which is a step in the right direction I hope.
    I see you are from Norway, so I can agree whit you that it is not the easiest place to live as a vegan, unless you are in one of the bigger city’s. But it is possible

Have you found www.vegetar.com ? Nice place, not he best layout on the forum, but it does the job
    Last edited by Korn; Jan 12th, 2006 at 10:39 AM. Reason: This thread is made out of posts from several other threads
    Need help finding gift! The tread is located her

Jo

Default Re: It's Not So Hard to Switch to a Vegan Diet: Report

I live near Stavanger so no problem with vegan food, the problem is entirely in my head, it all seems far too complicated to be a strict vegan. All just excuses and connected with my family/lifestyle/age and laziness! I shall continue to lean towards veganism and hopefully it will gradually occur.
    Yes, I'm a member of the norsk vegetarforening and visit the forum regularly. But like you feel some difficulty expressing my self properly in a second language.

Stavanger? Hi there, Haugesund here!

English is your first language? In that case I think I know who you are I am on the chat here now, so if you want my MSN, just log on for some minutes

Jo

MSN??? Don't use that I don't think! Not really very computer literate I'm afraid, too old so my kids tell me! Do you use the Norwegian forum?

Msn is a chat program

But if you want to say hi I am on http://www.veganforum.com/chat/index.php from time to time (not always 100 % awake ).

And yes, I am on vegetar.com now, and almost 24/7 in periods

Default Vegan in Norway

Just curious

And to all you from Norway, I would like to give you a tip on the www.vegetar.com which also have a forum in Norwegian. Easier to use than to write whit Word, get a lot of red lines, and still have to use the dictionary for every 10 word (But the forum is a lot smaller then this)

Default Re: Who is from Norway here?

Hehe, yes, I have seen it used as a nick here and there, and when to think of it, someone asked me if I my name was Martin. A little confusing

Yes, I know he is Norwegian, and I am impressed that someone from this little freezer of a country has gotten a this big and international forum up and running!

Btw: If anyone is bored, I am online the on the chat for a while

Looked in the PM box, miss_laura, don’t know if it rings any bells?

And I am from Haugesund, and you?

I haven’t been on VB before, got registered now, always ok to look on other forums

Jo

Question Re: Going Vegan in Norway?

I've just read in the vegetar form the thread about discussions in other forums. I find it hard to understand fully- hopefully my lack of norsk skills rather than that of intelligence!
    If I understand correctly you are saying that it is a matter of intelligence that interferes with other folks ability to take in facts about for instance, reasons to be vegetarian/vegan. I'm sure this is perhaps often the case. I have made many friends here in Norway who are very intelligent (if the criteria is highly educated) who I often talk to about my reasons for avoiding animal products. I don't believe any will ever cut down or stop their consumer habits for either health, animal or environmental reasons because they are just too set in their ways and really don't want to give up eating what they enjoy. I also believe it a matter of compassion, something one has or hasn't. If you read the papers the number of horrific atrocities being perpetuated against our fellow humans beggars belief. What hope that animals or the environment will get a look in?

I lived there for a few years. Does that count?
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

Whit this activity, yes, you will do

Where in Norway did you stay? And why does anyone voluntarily go TO Norway?

Haha, well I went there for a job, I probably would've left earlier but I was seeing a Norwegian girl there for a while

I lived in Oslo, that Groenland area, went back a few years ago for a work reunion thing, asked in a supermarket for vegetarian sausages and got laughed at, things haven't changed I see
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

Aha, I see. Love is a weird thing, I to moved because of the phenomena, but I was lucky considering where I moved from, and where I moved to.

No, you have to know where to go, and normal supermarkets is NOT the place. But it is actually getting a bit better, we can find “cheese”, vegan margarine, ice-cream, bread spread and so on in some supermarkets, so it is improving.

Default B12 testing i Norge

Quote NorVegan, from another thread about B12 testing
    Korn, I guess you know a bit about the Norwegian health system?
    I've been lucky enough not to need to be in touch with the Norwegian health system much. But you should be able to take B12, MMA and homocysteine tests anywhere.

And I am prepared to have to pay for them myself, but do you have any idea how much I have to be prepared to spend?
    As far as I remember, it is less than 100 kroner for all three tests.... not expensive, really.
    Last edited by Korn; Jan 12th, 2006 at 10:36 AM. Reason: This was from another thread....

Quote Korn
    I've been lucky enough not to need to be in touch with the Norwegian health system much. But you should be able to take B12, MMA and homocysteine tests anywhere.
    You are lucky that has been spared for that mess

Quote Korn
    As far as I remember, it is less than 100 kroner for all three tests.... not expensive, really.
    Not worse? That is defectively manageable, was afraid that the least I could expect was around 500 NOK or more.

Thanks for your answer

Default Re: Going Vegan in Norway?

But one more thing, what is a MMA test called in Norway? MMA-test? (I have never heard of it before, and it is always a ok idea to know what you are talking about when going to the doctor)

Det heter MMA- test på norsk og, ja. Bokstavene står for MethylMalonic Acid.

Testene tas lokalt, men sendes vanligvis for eksempel til distriktssykehus (jeg vet at sykehus i bl.a. Telemark og Bergen gjør sånt) for analyse, så får du resultatet etter noen dager.

I'm a Norwegian living in US. When I went back last year for the first time as a vegan (long time vegetarian before) I was surprised by how many products I was able to find in a regular supermarket: Cream cheese, coffee and whip cream, vegan margarine, soy yogurt.....AMAZING!! I think "Meny" had the best selection if I remember right. And what I couldn't find there I usually got in a health food store ("tartex" lever postej, soya sausages etc.). The only hard, if not impossible, thing was to eat in restaurants or cafes - there's nothing to eat!
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

The only hard, if not imposssible, thing was to eat in restaurants or cafes - there's nothing to eat!
    They actually often have something to offer which is not on the menu if you tell them that you're a vegan... And you are right, the 'Meny' stores have a good selection of foodstuff vegans are known to eat often, even if their part of a traditional supermarket chain.

Smile Re: Going Vegan in Norway?

Hello!

I'm not norwegian, but i'm probably travelling to Norway after midsummer. Just for a week or two. I plan to visit Trondheim, Röros, Bergen and Elverum.

Well, i was searching for accommodation in Norway through www.hospitalityclub.org, and (even if it's not the only thing i searched for) i was surprised that there seemed to be just a few vegans or even vegetarians as members, and those few of course not living where i'm going to. Anyway, as it was so contrasting to Sweden and Finland, i started to wonder where are all the norwegian vegans, or isn't there any.

Is there? I'd be especially pleased to hear about any vegans in Bergen. And it'd be just great if there could be found a person at whose place to stay a night or two.

Also it'd be nice to hear about other things that are of vegan interest in Norway. I won't probably have money to eat out, but if there is some vegan products that are especially worth tasting, or something to beware, or anything...

As well any advice about other places to visit is welcome, even if my time is far too short. What there is for a vegan who's interested in old buildings, nature and also many kinds of alternative living things.

kaisla

I have been quite a lot in Bergen, and you will be fine there. Go to viva las vegis and just ask for vegan food there (the place is lacto-ovo, but vegan friendly). When you have found viva, you will also be next door to Whichy Bitchy, a weird mix of an tattoo/piercing studio and an alternative store, and if I remember correct the two woman that works there are from Finland.

It was around 60.000 vegetarians (including lacto-ovos) in Norway in 96, and it is estimated to be around 100.000 now. How large % that is vegan I don’t know.

When are you going to be in Bergen? I and my spouse is going to stay there around July/august (date not 100 % planned now, am going to a family gathering the 5 august), and maybe we could meet? But be prepared, it will be a mix of English that haven’t been used for 5-10 years, and sign language

I will also tip you on putting a post here http://vegetarforum.net/forum/YaBB.p...d=bergenstreff that is the Bergen and Vestland section. Just write in English, most people in Norway is able to read and write English acceptably.

Hope you have a nice stay in Norway, and just let me know when you are in Bergen, and I will see if I am there at the same time

Exclamation A few questions for anyone from Norway!

First of all hello to everyone since this is my first post here

I noticed that there are a few people from Norway here so I thought that this would be the appropriate place to direct my questions.

I'll be going to Norway (Stavanger) for a year on a study program staring this August. I don't use any animal products and I wanted to know how the situation in Norway looks like in regard to animal-tested products, particularly cosmetics such as shampoos etc.

Are there cosmetics that are not animal-tested readily available in Norway or are they hard to find/not there at all?

I am leaving in three weeks and I would like to know if I should bring my own cosmetics here from the US or expect to find animal friendly products in Scandinavia

I'd greatly appreciate any info on this!

Thanks a lot,

Manozi

Default Re: A few questions for anyone from Norway!

Hello there

You can definitely expect cruelty free cosmetics in Scandinavia

There are many health stores (helsekost in norwegian) around the country. Those who work there often understand the term vegan and can guide you to the animal friendly products.

If you can read norwegian, there is a thread about it in a norvegian and vegan forum. Feel free to ask the question there in English, if you dont understand norvegian (because most norvegians understand English). Here is the thread about cosmetics:

http://vegetarforum.net/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1110132811

I hope I gave you the answer you needed and welcome to Norway.

Hi, Manzoni!

I agree with Glossgirl that health food stores are your best bet in Norway, but you can also order online from this company www.vegetarbutikken.no

Norway is great, hope you'll enjoy it!

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for the replies!
    Only one other thing I was wondering about, how would you recognize animal friendly products in stores?
    My Norwegian is pretty much non-existent so I wanted to ask if there are any terms/writing that would identify such products?
    Like here in the States, it says 'Product Not Tested On Animals' etc. on the labels - I guess I'm asking how such a term/terms would translate in Norwegian...or is there even a labeling on such products identifying them as animal fiendly?

Sorry, for the confusing explanation, it's somewhat late and I'm not quite adequate at the moment he he

Thanks a lot!

Manozi

I only visit Norway these days, so I'm not so familiar with the labeling anymore, but here's my little list:

- melk (milk)
    - kjøtt (meat)
    - fisk (fish)
    - ost (cheese)
    - animalsk fett (animal fat)
    - løype (rennet...it's usually only used in cheese anyway)
    - hønsebuljong (chicken broth)

Norway has a small population (4-5 mill. people), and a lot of the vegan and other products found here are imported from UK and other places, and therefore not labeled in Norwegian. 'Everybody' speaks English in Norway, so if you go to health food stores (they are sometimes labeled Helios or SunKost), I'm sure they'll be very helpful.

Going to a shop and requesting vegan products may in some cases have a larger impact on the total number of animals harmed/saved that just avoiding the products, because it will increase the chance that such products will be available in the future, so please ask as many questions as possible in as many shops as possible .

Quote Kriz
    - ikke dyretestet (not tested on animals)
    "ikke testet på dyr" is a more common expression, but again, just speak English!

PS - here's a list of cosmetic products that are not supposed to be animal tested (but double check the list!). It's from A Norwegian site, so I assume these products are available in Norway, but you'll probably recognize many product names. Here's another one. There's no Vegan Society in Norway, but the last link is from a small organisation called Noah (try www.vegan.no), which BTW also have made this anti-animal-test video/commercial related to cosmetics.

Here's a list of cosmetic products available in Norway that are tested on animals. Here are the first 100 matches given by Google if you search on 'ikke testet på dyr' (not animal-tested) in Norwegian sites (I'm on Safari/Mac, please check if it the link works on Windows) . Good luck!

Exclamation Re: A few questions for anyone from Norway!

Hey Kriz and Korn,

Thanks a lot for the replies!
    I'll make note of what you said.

Sounds like Norway is more animal friendly than some other places I've visited, which is good!

Manozi

Exclamation Is Brewer's Yeast available in Norway?

Hi all,

I have another question regarding my stay in Norway, but I thought I'd make this a separate thread since it's somewhat different from what I asked before.

I was wondering if Brewer's Yeast is available in Norway.
    I take it as a B-vitamin supplement here in the States, and I wanted to know if I'd be able to find it in Norway, and if it is available, what exactly is it called in Norwegian

I'd appreciate any info on this,

Thanks!

Manozi

Regarding makeup I would recommend you to have the most “necessary” whit you. The main brand that is available in Norway is DrHauschka, that is ok considering animal testing, but have animal ingredients in some of the products. Other than that, read, search, and ask, but my experience is that it is not a good idea to trust the people that works on the shop 100 %. Sometimes they know if the finished product is tested on animals, but then normally don’t know the details around the company animal testing policy. It can be hard to find out if they use “fixed cut off date”, or the “5 year rule”, or if they just don’t test the finished product on animals.

Shampoo, conditioner and soap is easier. You will find Jason and urtenkram in almost all health food stores, so that is not a big problem.

It is correct as Korn says that it is not a vegan society in Norway, but we have vegetarian society (http://www.vegetarforum.net/) where it is some vegans, including myself. If you want to, you can take a look at the forum there, and ask if anyone who live in Stavanger can give you some local information. Just write in English if you want to, almost everyone in Norway understands English, both written and verbally.

Default Re: One more question for people in Norway...

Brewers yeast is available in Norway. Most of the brands contains sugar, but I guess that you can find pure brewers yeast in health food stores, or pharmacies (“Apotek”). It is called “ølgjær” here.

But if you cant find that you can take a look at a product called “B-jäst 200”. It is easy to find in health food stores, and otherwise ok, it is a kind of pressed yeast enriched whit some extra vitamin B. The box is small and yellow, and cost around 90 NOK fore almost 3 months supply. Works fine in a pinch, or like in my case, I cant stand the taste of brewers yeast powder, so I hold my breath and swallow one pill each day

Arrow Re: Is Brewer's Yeast available in Norway?

Thanks NorVegan!

Manozi

Default Re: Vegan Norway

Tiny, little Norway is getting some international press for a change, in The Times....

Question any Raw Vegans in Norway?

or anyone know of any Health Food Shops/Fruit and Veg markets/Juice bars etc? In Oslo?

I'll be there in January

thanks everyone

and HI! (I just registered)

ps sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place...

Default Re: Vegan, Norway

Welcome, Lisa!

I just merged your thread with another thread about vegans in Norway.

There's circa 40 health food stores in Oslo. Here's a list.

Some of them are called health food stores but focus mainly on supplements etc., but eg. the Helios stores (look here) have food. The one called Helios Colosseum (Address: Middelthunsgt. 23, 0367 Oslo, phone 23 20 13 13) probably has the largest selection. Fruit and vegetables can be bought 'everywhere' (many supermarkets have some organic stuff too). If you're not going for organic stuff only, fruit and veg is cheaper in the eastern part of Oslo (Grünerløkka, Tøyen, Grønland...).

It's around +10C here now, but January is the coldest/darkest month in Norway, so bring some warm clothes!

Let me know if you need more info.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

thank you very much, some great info there!
    yikes about the cold... I'll be working on a ship so I bet it will be a bit blowy... I'll pack my thermals

do you happen to know of any shops near to the port area in Oslo? I'm mainly thinking about getting good quality raw seeds (to secretly sprout in my cabin ) as I'm pretty sure I'll be ok with fruit and veg.

Try this one... that's a 'Life'-shop, meaning less fresh food (if any) and more supplements etc., but maybe they have seeds? At least, they should be able to tell you where to go in that area...

If you click on 'Vis på kart', you'll see a map.

Helios in Parkveien or Colbjørnsens gate may be better choices than any Life-shop, but they're a bit further away (at Bislet/Frogner).
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Thanks Korn, very helpful

i'm vegan (duh), my love isn't.
    she's from andenes and thinking of moving back in 2010.
    i want to go too!
    will i starve there?

Smile Re: Vegan, Norway

hi macho kid

coincidentally, I just got back from the fair land of Norway last weekend. The best advice I can give is to look out for the chain of juice bars called 'Bagel and Juice'. They're scattered around the city, (there's definately one on Ovre Slottsgate as I recall) and do a good selection of fresh fruit and vegetable juices, and smoothies. They also have wireless internet there (:

There's a great grocery stall just up the road from the main train station, near the Cathedral, it sells all kinds of treats like medjool dates, pecans, pistachios etc.

Also, most of the supermarkets do a fair amount of organic produce.

Have a good time! (:

Maybe you will starve ...

Are you going to move to Andesnes or some other place in norway?

If you going to live on the countryside with your diet you might get some weird looks but every stranger will get that... just joking.

In the city there are loads of ethinc food stores and health shop with all kinds of vegan food, mock duck, soy youghurt, beans, lentils, couscous ect

I live in a town and my local grocery store with not many groceries has now sugar free & chocolate soy or rice milk

A shop with the name MENY is all over the country has loads of vegetables/fruits and some vegan items like:
    tofu
    meat replacement (I think so but have not tried it)
    soy milk, oat milk, rice milk with chocolate/vanila/plain/with calcium ect flavours
    soya supreme sour cream
    vegan cream replacement
    soy pudding with vanilla & chocolate flavours
    chocolate
    cookies
    vegetables soup
    lentils
    beans
    ect

There are internet stores that sells and delivers to your house for example:
    http://www.vegetarbutikken.no/

And not all of the norwegian cuisine is not suitable for vegans, though it seems so. At cafes it can be quite difficult sometimes but I have had good experience with it, but I like fries, salad and ketchup

Because Norway is a small country with few (rich) inhabitants its means that you can ask the store near you to get groceries you want to have.

Good Luck =)

Not long ago, Oslo's oldest vegetarian restaurant (Vegata vertshus, founded in 1938) moved to Akers Gata 47 and changed it's name to.... Vegan Restuarant.

More info here: http://www.vegano.no/english.htm

Check out these places too:
    Mucho Mas <- They have vegetarian burritos and enchiladas, but serve vegan versions upon request
    Habibi always have LOTS of good vegan stuff - review here and here.

More Arabian restaurants here. Al Chouf is great too.

Krisha's Cuisine still has vegan meals on their menu...

The old (and a little shabby) Spisestedet in Hjelms gate 3 is very vegan friendly.

More here.

What fun that Vegeta Vertshus has become vegan! Has it always been predominently vegan?
    Also thanks Korn for pointing me to this thread!
    I live outside Oslo and I have chosen to make all of my mock meats, seitan, etc from scratch due to cost and limited availability.
    With that said, I can get most of what I need from Helios and the local helsekost. My dream would be more vegan restaurants and an awakening of the raw food movement in Norway
    Until that happens, I'll be in my kitchen munching on homemade everything!
    One more thing: Real Food (the new chain of lunch bars) has a vegan wrap!

What fun that Vegeta Vertshus has become vegan!
    Easy now... Remember - this is Norway. Even if it's got 'vegan' in it's name, it isn't necessarily a vegan restaurant!

Has it always been predominently vegan?
    No, Ernst Røgler, who used to run the place, became a vegan around 1990, but they've had lots of lacto/ovo vegetarian stuff there every time I've been there. Maybe this has changed with the move and the name change, but on the site that appears to serve as some sort of home page for the place, that have recipes that aren't vegan). If you visit the place and find out if it really is a vegan restaurant, please let us know!

I visited 'Vegan' (in Akers gt., in the same building as the old 'Kurbadet') not long ago, and was told that all the food is now vegan. I enjoyed the food - IMO the food is a lot more tasty than when they made both vegan and lacto-vegetarian food!

The original place opened up in 1938 - that's 70 years ago, so it's even older than the concept of veganism! The new place probably look just like it did 70 years ago, so don't expect a modern/fancy cafe, but it's definitely worth checking out. I've heard that they're opening up an outdoor area soon.

(More places to eat veg*n food in Oslo here.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Korn ... I want to go there again now ... mmmm, vegan buffet

Windfall

Does anyone know if it is relatively easy to be vegan in Trondheim?
    My sister moved there last year and I am expected to make an appearance this summer, although I dread that a bit, seeing my sis and her bf are best described as carnivores and not omnis...gulp...

I don't know, but maybe this link would be helpful?

I went to the 'vegan' restaurant in Oslo about a month ago. Despite calling itself vegan it wasn't. The first time we went the pizza had ordinary cheese (which prob. wasn't even veggie, this being Norway!) and we were pointed to a number of items which weren't vegan. The next day we were told that the pizza was vegan as was everything else EXCEPT the large pot of cow's yogurt and one other thing that I can't remember. So don't assume it is all vegan, it isn't despite calling itself a vegan restaurant. Having said that the food was wonderful and I can't wait to visit again. A haven in Oslo in my opinion. wish there was one in Stavanger!

Add to the list:

http://www.cafemono.no

They recently got a new vegan friendly menu!
    Tofu sandwich, beetrootburger and carrot/orange soup!
    + vegan Russian

Last edited by Korn; Aug 19th, 2008 at 04:38 PM. Reason: fixed dead link