Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vegan, Norway

Default Re: Vegan, Norway

Sounds yummy ... mmm beetrootburger

Quote Korn View Post
    I visited 'Vegan' (in Akers gt., in the same building as the old 'Kurbadet') not long ago, and was told that all the food is now vegan. I enjoyed the food - IMO the food is a lot more tasty than when they made both vegan and lacto-vegetarian food!

The original place opened up in 1938 - that's 70 years ago, so it's even older than the concept of veganism! The new place probably look just like it did 70 years ago, so don't expect a modern/fancy cafe, but it's definitely worth checking out. I've heard that they're opening up an outdoor area soon.

(More places to eat veg*n food in Oslo here.)
    This Restaurant is taking part of the Norwegian versioin of "hells kitchen" or something like that on TV. They are gonna fix the whole place.
    Change the meny and make the restaurant more effective, tastier and better looking!

I´m surely exhited to go there to see how it turned out!
    www.myspace.com/mon_cherrie

Does anyone here know anything about the availability of vegan stuff in the relatively new, organic cafe on Bygdøy (in Oslo)? All I know is that they have some organic juices and that it's owned by the raw food promoting snowboard 'celebrity' Terje Håkonsen and others.

I just read that they currently are struggling financially, but if it's a vegan friendly place, I would definitely check the place out and write some nice words about it here... after all, the place is called - Korn!
    Last edited by Korn; Sep 3rd, 2008 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Added an amazing Terje Håkonsen/You Tube-link

cobweb

he-he!

i would love to visit Norway, i'm getting closer and closer..........

I may see you at Korn then!

There's another Scottish vegan planning to come over as well - the bodhran player from The Assassenachs even consider a permanent move...

So we may hear him playing in the Dubliner soon?!

cobweb

i will definitely visit Korn when i (eventually) get to Norway!

Someone asked me in another thread about a poll I mentioned - about vegetarianism in Norway. The poll found that 20% of the Norwegian population was interested in trying to live on a vegetarian diet - in 1996. The number is probably higher now.

Here is a little excerpt from that article:

Scan-Fact-undersøkelse viser:
    60.000 vegetarianere i Norge!

av Ole Nygaard

Fra Dyade temanummer Føde for tankene. Innspill om vegetarianisme: livsstil, erkjennelse, etikk, moral, helse (nr 1/2 1996)
    En Scan-Fact-undersøkelse foretatt spesielt for Dyade med 1000 spurte viser at ca. 60.000 nordmenn er vegetarianere, mens 12 ganger så mange kunne tenke seg å prøve. Sunnere livsstil er viktigste grunn til å bli vegetarianer, smaken av fisk og kjøtt taler mest imot.

Hvor mange

vegetarianere er det i Norge? Som det fremgår av andre artikler i dette nummer, finnes det ulike former for vegetarianisme. I denne målingen valgte vi å la de spurte få definere seg som vegetarianer ved å stille dem følgende spørsmål: “Hvis vi med vegetarianer mener en person som normalt ikke spiser kjøtt og fisk, vil du si du er vegetarianer?”

Spørsmålet ble stillet til et representativt utvalg av norske menn og kvinner over 15 år, og 1,7% av dem sa Ja. Fordi det er spurt et begrenset antall personer, vil dette målte tallet ha en feilmargin. 60.000 er det beste anslaget, og vi kan på basis av målingen med relativt stor sannsynlighet anta at det reelle tallet ligger mellom 40. og 80.000.

Hvilke grupper har flest vegetarianere? Tallene må tolkes med en viss forsiktighet, men det er ihvertfall sikkert at flere kvinner enn menn ikke spiser kjøtt eller fisk til daglig. Aldersfordelingen er mere jevn, trolig med litt flere vegetarianere blant de aller eldste. Og det ser ut til å være litt flere vegetarianere i Oslo-området og på Sør- og Vestlandet enn ellers i landet.

Tenke det, ønske det...

Hvordan ser de som ikke er det på det å være vegetarianer? Vi spurte dem slik: “Kunne du tenke deg eller kunne du ikke tenke deg å slutte å spise kjøtt og fisk til daglig for en lengre periode hvis forholdene lå til rette for det?”

Hver 5. nordmann over 15 år svarte Ja. Det tilsvarer 700.000 personer som kunne tenke seg å prøve vegetarkosthold.

My partner wants to move to Norway or some other Scandanavian country. I'm glad to know veganism probably isn't much harder than it is here, if I ever do go!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

www.avhilde.no
    just found this company which states that it uses no animal products and are not tested on animal.

Two Norwegian organizations seem to be planned now. They are both on Facebook, "Norsk Vegansamfunn", and "Norsk vegansamfunn (NVS)". Does anyone here know what these two groups of people disagree in, since two organization are being planned in parallel?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Hi Everybody. I'm from the Vegetarian Cafe Resept in stavanger that serves only vegan food. We need a new assistant Chef. Are you interested or do you know anyone that could be interested. We have an excelent head chef from France and you'll be working closely with him. The job is to take care of the cafe's kitchen in evening time. That means running the service, prepping for the next day and ofcourse cleaning and closing the kitchen. You dont need to be a chef, but prevoius kitchen experience is recomended. Call us on 45852326 or send an email to post@resept-cafe.no if you or somebody you know is interested.

Yours sincerely Øystein Lunde Ohna

Good luck with your place, Øystein!

Things obviously start to happen in Norway now.... http://www.funkyfreshfoods.no is a new vegan-friendly raw food place starting up very soon. The opening party (on Sunday) has it's own Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...4032223&ref=mf

Smile Re: Vegan, Norway

woohooo!! Im so happy stuff is happening in norway with the vegan cafe's and all!! In Trondheim we have an all-vegan peoples kitchen every thursday at seven, at Uffa, dumpster based but the dumpsters of the norwegian stores are very posh so we have the best selection of fresh goods everytime (vacation in christmas til second or third week of january)

Quote Korn View Post
    Two Norwegian organizations seem to be planned now. They are both on Facebook, "Norsk Vegansamfunn", and "Norsk vegansamfunn (NVS)". Does anyone here know what these two groups of people disagree in, since two organization are being planned in parallel?
    The planning started at a blog with one group of people, but there was one individual who created a lot of conflict, and verbally attacked anyone who disagreed with him to the point where the rest of the group asked him to either change his behaviour or leave the group. When he would do neither, he was banned, and started his own group at Facebook ("Norsk Vegansamfunn") copying the work the original group had already done. People joined his group unaware of the previous conflict, which is why it has more members.

"Norsk vegansamfunn (NVS)" consists of the original group, and had its first official meeting yesterday.

Here's a link to Vega Cafe & Restaurant in Akersgata 74 (Oslo).

http://www.vegafairfood.no/

Last time I was there, almost all the meals were vegan.

Check out http://vegetarguide.no - it lists a lot of vegetarian products and eateries on Norway. From what I've seen so far, all the products they have listed are vegan, and all the cafes are vegan friendly or vegan, including the new Loving Hut in Parkveien, Oslo.

Hi!
    I was wondering if there are any good vegan restaurants/cafés in Bergen?
    I don't often go out to eat, but when I do (once in a blue moon, being a poor student and all!) I want to eat somewhere vegan-friendly!
    Why kill when you have the choice to avoid it?

Default Re: Going Vegan in Norway?

i went this easter vacation to oslo, and looked in teh "meny" stores, and i saw like thai pasta but had some lacto ingredient, others had egg in the pasta, other salads had cheese... i ordered a kind of bread with spinach and veggies and for my surprise it had cheese :/
    i learned the most common non vegan ingredients in norwegian, but somethings had the labels in swedish...

You can get vegan food at almost every restaurant in Oslo, but here's a list of places to eat which only serve vegan (or vegetarian) food:

http://oslopuls.aftenposten.no/resta...oslopuls_guide

If you're in Oslo today and want to try some free vegan food - look here: http://www.dyrsrettigheter.no/vegeta...-vegetarstand/ They call it 'vegetarian food'on that site, but I doubt that there will be any animal products in food served by an animal rights organization. Maybe it's a good idea to ask if it's vegan before you eat it (or at least ask why they call it vegetarian when it's vegan)?

There's a new app called "Vegan Oslo" now, at least for iOs.
    If you can read Norwegian, check out this link:
    http://www.osloby.no/nyheter/Na-blir...o-7870603.html

This, also published today, is also about the many places to find vegan food in Oslo:
    http://www.osloby.no/Guide-til-10-ve...o-7868142.html

ETA: Sally Renshaw, who made the app (thanks for doing this!!), just told be that there will be a bugfix version out as soon as Apple uploads it to iTunes, probably within a few days.

She's not on that pic above - that's from Funky Fresh Foods.
    This is the app maker:

(Both pictures are from today's articles on osloby.no.)