Thread: A vegan website

Default A vegan website

What do you look for in a vegan website? What would make you want to visit more often, bookmark it, and recommend it to other veg*ns? Would the fact that the webmaster was only vegan for a year and a half turn you off?

I want to make a website and I am thinking of a vegan one.

Opinions please!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Default Re: A vegan website

simple really - it has to have stuff on it which is either unique or better than everything else. There's a lot of sites created by people which are really just homepages and not really offering anything that isn't already out there. An example would be creating another forum similar to this - why would people join when this one is already here?

It's also gotta be easy to navigate with a reason to return - such as updates. The design doesn't need to be complex, but i needs to work and not be annoying (for example a plain white background is better than a fancy hideous one). I don't think the amount of time as a vegan matters at all.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Thanks.

The reason why I ask about how long the webmaster has been vegan for was that I was reading a review for some vegan cookbook and some people were bashing the author since she was only vegan for a short while.

The three main things that keep me coming back are-

1. Links to online vegan shopping
    2. Recipes
    3. Cookbooks & AR/AW book reviews or lists

I never pay attention to how long the webmaster has been vegan. If you're dedicated enough to create a site on veganism, it really shouldn't matter if you've been vegan for a month or a decade (at least IMO).

that was probably me, talking about sinfully vegan, and I stand by my judgement that the book sucks

Honesty is the best thing really. I dislike people who claim to be things they arn't, and it often shows when gaps in knowledge become quickly apparent. There's no problem with sharing information you have as long as you don't claim to be an expert if you are not
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Great. It probably won't happen for a while since I'm ultra mega lazy.

Edit:
    I'm thinking of a section that introduces veganism to any one who is new and curious. I will take about the animal rights aspects, the health aspects, the enviromental aspects, etc. I'll probably have some recipes up that are easy to make and have links to other great vegan cooking sites. I'll have a nutritions page (similar to the vegan society's page but less intense, easy to read, etc). Hmm, and I might see if I can have like a "news" page where I'll post updates about vegan related things in the news. Hmmmm. Oh and an intensive links page.

Whew, I'll have to do a lot of research!

Stu

You could have a website that lists all vegan products. It would have to be bang up-to-date though, which would involve a lot of work. There are other sites that do this, but I'm not sure how up-to-date they are.

Or how about a lobbying site? You could get vegans to contact companies en masse, to pressure them into changing the ingredients in their products etc. if you're the co-ordinator of this, then companies will get LOADS of e-mails and letters, and it could be quite effective.

Oh that's a great idea. I'm not sure if I'll have enough time though as I'm a full time student. But it's a great idea.

Is it poss to do a 'Vegan Guide to ......' including vegan/veggie places to eat, vegan friendly cafes, restaurants, pubs, juice bars, healthfood shops, bread shops, take aways, Indians, interesting places to eat, and various articles as well, like here for example.

Quote Tigerlily
    Would the fact that the webmaster was only vegan for a year and a half turn you off?
    Not at all. I think it's a great idea. Just because you haven't been vegan for that long doesn't mean you don't have useful knowledge or recipes or ideas.
    Besides, it's all relative; some people only turned vegan minutes ago. It would probably be more useful for new vegans to learn about how you went vegan and the challenges faced, than read about the experiences of someone who went vegan 40 years ago

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Tigerlily
    The reason why I ask about how long the webmaster has been vegan for was that I was reading a review for some vegan cookbook and some people were bashing the author since she was only vegan for a short while.
    Which one was that?

I don't remember but I think it was a baking one.

Thanks for your input guys.

Go for it Tigerlily!!! Although another vegan forum?-I already spend half my life on this one- my ass will be permanently glued to my computer chair LOL.

You could do vegan product reviews that change weekly/monthly. Post a product that everyone can try then comment about! And a vegan product of the month- Oh and could have a 'Look what I just discovered is vegan' bit!! I love finding something is vegan when you don't expect it to be!!

Good luck hun

Add a lot of vegan humor- like "The Chubby Vegan "video from www.goodiebag.tv

some good recipes, jokes
    happy pictures of animals
    links to useful sites