Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tofu Recipes

oldsilverhead

Default Re: Tofu

Quote sugarmouse
    I have opened a box of silken tofu, and now i do not know what to do with it! Lol
    any clues?imlooking on vegweb now x
    place 1 cup of silken tofu,a quarter of a cup of oil,half a cup of sugar,4 tablespoons of cocoa powder,a quarter of a teaspoon of salt and 1 and a half teaspoons of vanilla flavouring in a blender,give it a whizz,stir then whizz again.chill and enjoy

1 packet of silken tofu
    1.5 cups plain soymilk
    1/3 cup tamari or soysauce or bragg's
    1.5 cups nutritional yeast
    1 T paprika
    1 crushed garlic clove
    1/2 cup of vegetable oil
    a couple T of butter (vegan, of course)
    1 small dollop of mustard

Mix all those together in a blender or food processor and whip it up. It is a bit liquidy, though it will cook down when added to 8 ounces of macaroni and or some cooked cauliflour and baked in the oven at 350 for 20 minute(makes it nice and hot and a little crispy on top).Enjoy.

oldsilverhead

Default tofu omlette bake

Just tried this new recipe and it was yummy. You can prepare it the night before and then pop it in the oven in the morning if you like.

Tofu Omeltte Bake

2 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 onion, sliced
    1/2 cup carrots, grated
    1/2 cup green onions, chopped
    3 cloves of garlic ( I used 4, I love my garlic!)
    1 package firm tofu, chopped (I used vegetable flavoured)
    2 tbsp nutrional yeast
    1/2 cup gluten flour
    pinch of salt
    1-2 tsp pepper
    3 tbsp water

Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, cook until browned (about 5 min).
    Put onion, carrot, green onions, and garlic into food processor and mince.
    Add chopped tofu and process until mixed well.
    Add nutrional yeast, gluten flour, salt and pepper, and water, then process until well combined.
    Place mixture in greesed pan and bake for about 25 mins at 375*F.

*You can put sauteed musrooms, peppers, or whatever you like on top after it is baked or in it while baking--maybe even top with some vegan "cheese", though it doesn't really need any extras, but it can only get better!

*This recipe is actually meant to be fried, I just decided to bake it instead! If you wish to fry it, just divide mixture into several "omelette" size peices and dust with flour and fry with olive oil.
    It is challenging to stand as a minority; but doing so sometimes makes a hero.

I bought a pack of Cauldron plain and simple Tofu the other day, not sure what to do with it i did a google search and their website came up with some recipes, not sure if anyone has posted this already or would be interested but here it is:

http://www.cauldronfoods.co.uk/recipes.php?t=Original%20and%20Organic%20Original% 20Tofu

VeganJohn

Make a vegan quiche!!

Plenty of recipes exist but this one looks good: http://www.veganfamily.co.uk/quiche.htm

VeganJohn

I have just put some silken tofu in the freezer as I am curious as to how i will turn out once it has been frozen and thawed. Nobody has mentione dfreezing silken tofu so I thought I would carry out a little experiment :>

You are so risky... my one says do not freeze.

Quote VeganJohn
    Taifun Tofu!! I have had this brand before and it was fabulous. I couldn't remember the name of it though! I think the type I had was made with almonds and had a firmer texture than Cauldron Tofu and had a tint of red in it. Totally gorgeous though :
    Ah. Heavenly stuff. You're absolutely right. I have just discovered somewhere to buy this and have been stocking up every couple of weeks.

The one with almonds is great (it's smoky too which I like), and the one with sunflower seeds is great too, but the basil one is my favourite. Alas it has been sold out the last few times I've been.

Your chocolate mousse sounds great VeganJohn. I'd never thought of putting (solid) chocolate in it too. Good idea

Quote Mr Flibble
    the tofu i had for lunch today was absolutely delicious - deep fried firm (in sunflower oil until golden) then boiled for approx 20 mins in a broth of shiitake stock, light soy sauce, ume plum vinegar, rice vinegar, mirin, sake and tamari. Approx 95% organic.

As I was too lazy to make sushi in the remaining liquid after draining I readded the mushrooms and boiled dried pasta which in turn soaked up the broth and also tasted great
    eurgh, gag etc.... *shudder* . Now there's a way to completely RUIN perfectly good food - Mushrooms!

VeganJohn

Remember there are many different varieties of mushrooms, if you think you don't like them (I thought I didn't years ago), you might discover a variety that you like.

Tinned mushrooms are vile though!!

Thanks John I've always hated mushrooms, and when I went vegan I tried to try as many types as I could to see if I could try to like them (since they are pretty popular in veggie food I didn't want to limit my options too much). I discovered at that point that i am allergic to mushrooms! Turns out there's a good reason why I find them disgusting!

I'm only joking (kind of ) with all the yucks though. I don't think Mr F will be too offended

saucyvegan

Quote Tigerlily
    Deep fried tofu from the Chinese restuarant in town here is amazing. Absolutely amazing. It's the only way I like my tofu.
    Tiger do u know how they make that chinese tofu? The tofu u get with sweet and sour etc. Ive tried all sorts of tofu but cannot make it how they do? This is my fave kind of tofu....do u know which type they use and how they cook it?

VeganJohn

I would imagine it is the deep fying of the tofu that is the main variable here. Chinese restaurants probably just use standard tofu but deep frying produces the wonderful browned sort that you get served in good chinese places.

I have never deep fried food at home, I would be frightened of any accidents with the hot oil etc.

saucyvegan

Maybe I should just go into the chinese restaurants and ask them cos im still non the wiser! Thganks tho John lol!

MISO BAKED TOFU

This tofu dish is healthy and flavorful with a unique taste.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 container pressed firm tofu
    1/3 cup miso
    3 tbsp rice vinegar
    3 tbsp sugar
    2 tbsp soy milk
    1 tsp ginger
    1 tsp granulated garlic
    3 tbsp water
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tbsp oil (olive, sesame or vegetable)
    dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
    sesame seeds (optional)

PREPARATION:
    Preheat oven to broil or highest setting. Cover a cookie sheet with tin foil. Combine all ingredients except tofu and oil using blender or mixer. Slowly add oil and mix until smooth and creamy. Pour mixture into wide bowl or pan.
    Cut tofu into 1/2 inch thick pieces and dip into miso mixture until coated with a thin layer, reserving some of the mixture. Gently lay tofu pieces on covered cookie sheet. Broil 8-10 minutes until golden brown and slightly crisp. Remove from oven. Turn the pieces over and "baste" another layer of miso mixture over the pieces with a spoon. Broil 8-10 more minutes until browned and crisp. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired and enjoy!

from Vegetarian Times magazine

BREADED TOFU NUGGETS

Kid-friendly tofu nuggets are reminiscent of chicken nuggets and can be dipped in ketchup, barbeque sauce or ranch dressing.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 block firm or extra-firm tofu, pressed
    1/3 cup soymilk
    2 tbsp mustard
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp dried parsley (optional)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
    3/4 cup bread crumbs

PREPARATION:
    Whisk together the soymilk, mustard, nutritional yeast and spices until smooth in a wide bowl. Place bread crumbs in a separate bowl.
    Coat each piece of tofu with soymilk and mustard mixture first, then coat with bread crumbs.
    Fry in oil until golden brown, serve with ketchup, barbeque sauce or other dipping sauce and enjoy!

For a lower fat alternative, lay tofu piece on a covered baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, turning once, until golden brown.

from Vegetarian Times magazine

TOFU JERKY

Ingredients
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    3 to 4 tbsp liquid smoke
    1/8 cup water
    1 tbsp onion powder
    1 tsp garlic powder or 1 clove crushed fresh garlic
    1 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
    1 tsp brown rice syrup
    1 pound firm or extra firm tofu

Instructions
    Cut and drain the tofu. Take a 1-pound cube, cut it in half, and then slice it into strips on its short side. Strips should be about 4 to 5 millimeters in thickness. They may look big, but they'll shrink to about half their size.

Mix all the marinade ingredients together well. Put the tofu in a single layer in a shallow baking pan or cookie sheet and pour the marinade over it. Let soak for several hours or overnight.

Drain excess liquid (may be reused) and dry tofu in food dehydrator or warm (200 degrees F) oven. This will take 4 to 8 hours, depending on weather. If you live in a sunny, hot, dry climate, you can sun-dry it. It will take all day.

Flip the tofu over hourly so it dries evenly. Tofu jerky is delicious and keeps indefinitely. Dry the jerky until it is very chewy, but not crispy.

Be creative: Use low-sodium soy if you want less salt (it is rather salty). Use tabasco or ground cayenne if you want it hot. Chili powder makes chili jerky. Oregano and basil make pizza jerky.

Default Re: Tofu Recipes

from The Soy Zone

baked golden tofu dumplings with saucy dip

8 oz extra-firm tofu
    4 t natural peanut butter
    1 1/2 T tamari sauce
    3 scallions, chopped
    1 small green or red pepper, chopped
    2 medium stalks celery, chopped
    8 medium mushrooms, diced
    3 water chestnuts, diced
    1 medium sprig parsley, minced

3/4 c apple juice
    2 t maple syrup or brown sugar
    1 to 2 t tamari sauce
    1 to 2 t apple cider vinegar
    1/2 t ginger, grated
    2 cloves garlic, pressed
    1 to 2 t arrowroot powder dissolved in 1 to 2 t water
    4 medium leaves kale, washed and de-stemmed

preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
    mash tofu with fork until broken up. add peanut butter, tamari sauce, scallions, pepper, celery, mushrooms, water chestnuts, and parsley. mix well.
    form the tofu mixture into golf ball sized dumplings, and place on lightly oiled cookie sheet. rinse hands in cold water periodically to keep the dumplings from clinging.
    bake in oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
    meanwhile, combine apple juice, maple syrup, tamari sauce, vinegar, ginger, and garlic in small saucepan. bring to a simmer and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. add arrowroot water and stir 1 minute more. remove from heat.
    steam kale for 5 to 7 minutes.
    serve dumplings on a bed of steamed kale with a small dish of sauce on the side..
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." —Margaret Mead

from The Soy Zone

ginger-scallion tofu stir-fry

2 c mushrooms, sliced
    1 T lite soy sauce
    1/8 c vegetable stock
    1 T fresh ginger, minced
    1 1/2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 1/2 c tomatoes, chopped
    8 oz extra-firm tofu, thinly sliced
    1 1/3 t canola oil
    3 c snow peas
    1 1/2 c scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces

combine mushrooms, soy sauce, vegetable stock, ginger, garlic, tomatoes, and tofu in a bowl and marinate 30 minutes.
    heat oil in a heavy skillet or walk over medium-high heat.
    add tofu mixture and stir fry 3-4 minutes.
    add snow peas and scallions and stir fry 3-4 minutes or until snow peas are bright green.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." —Margaret Mead

from The Soy Zone

barley mushroom soup with smoked tofu

1 T barley
    4 c vegetable stock
    1 1/3 t olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 medium stalks celery, chopped
    8 medium mushrooms, sliced
    1/4 c tomato puree
    8 oz smoked extra-firm tofu, cubed
    1 medium sprig parsley, minced
    1 medium ripe tomato, chopped
    salt and pepper to taste
    vegetarian worcestershire sauce

combine barley and vegetable broth in medium stockpot, bring to a boil, and simmer for 20 minutes.
    in a separate pan saute olive oil, onion, and celeru over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes. add mushrooms, increase heat to high, and brown for 3-4 minutes until mushrooms release their juice.
    add saute and tomato puree to barley broth. simmer for 20 minutes. add cubed tofu and simmer 5 minutes longer.
    serve in hefty bowls, topped with parsley, fresh tomato, salt, pepper, and worcestershire.

Hi,

just a little reminder: if you copy/paste recipes from other sites, please check if they are OK with it. I'm sure most sites are (especially if you post a link to the source); but some recipe sites have warning in small print a la "You agree not to modify, reproduce, retransmit, distribute, disseminate, sell, publish, broadcast or circulate any such material without the written permission of About.com or the appropriate affiliate."

Thanks!

PS - I'm sure many vegan recipe sites would love to get some more attention, so getting a formal permission shouldn't be a problem as long as you're willing to post the URL-reference...

I have found a way to cook tofu so it doesnt need to be deep fried. I put in on a griddle for a couple of minutes each side and then put it in the oven for about 15 minutes just to crisp it up a bit. Sorry its not a recipe but i usually do this with a stir fry.

scrambled tofu recipe anyone (tried and tested preferably) ?

for 2 people, cook a diced onion in sunflower oil until translucent, a pack of tofu crumbled, soy sauce, tamari, salt and pepper to taste (worchester sauce works well too). Adding mushrooms with the onion works well, or anything that takes your fancy like peppers. Eat it on marg'ed toast with ketchup
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

thanks, flibs..i'll give it a go at the weekend

saucyvegan

Quote puffin
    I have found a way to cook tofu so it doesnt need to be deep fried. I put in on a griddle for a couple of minutes each side and then put it in the oven for about 15 minutes just to crisp it up a bit. Sorry its not a recipe but i usually do this with a stir fry.
    Puffin...what sort of tofu do u do this with? can u do it with the Cauldron variety?

Without any oil it will just dry out, which isn't particularly pleasant. If you're scared of deep frying the shallow frying isn't a bad option
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Korn
    Hi,

just a little reminder: if you copy/paste recipes from other sites, please check if they are OK with it. I'm sure most sites are (especially if you post a link to the source); but some recipe sites have warning in small print a la "You agree not to modify, reproduce, retransmit, distribute, disseminate, sell, publish, broadcast or circulate any such material without the written permission of About.com or the appropriate affiliate."

Thanks!

PS - I'm sure many vegan recipe sites would love to get some more attention, so getting a formal permission shouldn't be a problem as long as you're willing to post the URL-reference...
    will do. most of mine come from books and magazines that have animal recipes in them. i am saving the recipes that i like and use before i get rid of the books and i thought that since i have to write them all down anyway, i might as well write them up here and share them with anyone else who might want them. i suppose i should reference them as well?

from The Soy Zone

stir fry tofu with peppers and peanuts

6 peanuts
    1 t peanut oil
    8 oz extra-firm tofu, cubed
    1 clove garlic, pressed
    1/2 t fresh grated ginger
    3 turnip tops, washed and chopped coarsely
    1 1/3 T pure maple syrup
    1 T tamari or shoyu sauce
    2 t arrowroot dissolved in 2 t water
    1/2 t chili or tabasco sauce
    1 small onion, diced
    1 small green bell pepper, diced
    1 small red bell pepper, diced
    12 mushrooms, sliced
    1 clove garlic, pressed
    1/2 t fresh ginger
    2 scallions, sliced

roast peanuts in toaster oven or under broiler for 3 to 5 minutes, turning twice. set aside.
    combine peanut oil and tofu in skillet and saute over high heat. after 5 minutes, add garlic and ginger. saute another 3 minutes and remove from skillet.
    rinse and steam turnip tops in steamer basket over boiling water, or in a small amount of water with no basket, until tender, about 10 minutes. set aside with lid half off.
    mix rice wine vinegar, maple syrup, tamari, arrowroot, and tabasco in a small bowl.
    combine onion, peppers, mushrooms, garlic, and ginger in a skillet and saute 5 minutes on medium-high heat. add water if necessary and stir regularly.
    stir up sauce in bowl and add to skillet. stir until thickened. add tofu and heat through, about 3 minutes.
    serve over bed of warm turnip tops. top with peanuts and scallions.

Quote saucyvegan
    Puffin...what sort of tofu do u do this with? can u do it with the Cauldron variety?
    Yes that is what i use. I marinate it in garlic, ginger (sorry cherry) and soy sauce for about 30 min.

i usually buy fried tofu in bags at the asian grocery. if that's not possible for you then here's a method for fried tofu that you might want to try. i think it is best to freeze the tofu first and then thaw and press it, but you should try it with fresh tofu as well to see which you prefer. cut firm, not extra firm, tofu into 1 1/2 inch cubes and slide carefully into hot oil in a large pan or wok. fry until the surface is golden brown and slightly bubbly, about 6 minutes. the interior of each cube will be partially cooked away.

Quote puffin
    Yes that is what i use. I marinate it in garlic, ginger (sorry cherry) and soy sauce for about 30 min.
    What do you mean?! I'm not fond of the yucky crystalised sweet stuff but I LOVE real ginger and I marinate my tofu in garlic, ginger and soya sauce too....unless that's what you meant (It's only mushrooms I hate )

VeganJohn

I was not a fan of sweet crystallised ginger until recently when I tried Green and Blacks dark chocolate with ginger - mmmm!!!

VeganJohn

btw, some excellent recipes Goodbyegirl!! I'll have to try them when I get some fresh ginger and garlic in, not to mention some soy sauce lol :>

FrekzRocker

Default Creative Ways to Cook Tofu

Tofu recipies, please? I'm going to the market tommorrow to get some vegan faire (Next week is my first ENTIRELY vegan week), and purchasing tofu for the first time. I need some advice from seasoned tofu vets....
    Last edited by Korn; Apr 1st, 2006 at 06:20 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread....

Default Re: Creative Ways to Cook Tofu

Don't have any pizza recipes with tofu, but I cook with tofu a lot.

there a 2 kinds in my opinion. The kind that comes in a aseptic box that doesn't need refridgeration, and the kind that comes in water and does need refridgeration.

The unrefridgerated tofu is very soft (yes, even when marked firm). This is what people think of when they think tofu, and I think responsible for people hating it so much. It is soft, mushy, and works well for blending into a dip, pudding or making a tofu scramble. You may be able to blend this up and layer it onto a pizza.

The refridgerated kind, tastes wonderful all on its own. It is firm and very chewy. It works great in stirfrys, sliced in sandwiches, breaded and deep fried. It's yummy stuff!

Also, tofu takes on new textures when it is frozen, baked or deep fried.

I usually use refridergated tofu -> WhiteWave makes a good one - www.whitewave.com

The unrefridgerated stuff is often served to me in stirfries by omnis trying to be nice, but really it is best in a tofu scramble. I use mori-nu brand - www.morinu.com.

I've heard the difference be referred to as mori-nu is japenese style tofu, where white wave is chinese style. not sure if that is really accurate...

Default Re: Creative Ways to Cook Tofu

Quote Freckles
    Tofu recipies, please? I'm going to the market tommorrow to get some vegan faire (Next week is my first ENTIRELY vegan week), and purchasing tofu for the first time. I need some advice from seasoned tofu vets....
    http://www.vegan-food.net/category/soy/

for tofu recipes
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

FrekzRocker

This morning, I tried some straight-up fried tofu .. I put a little veg. margarine in a pan and melted it, placed two medium tofu cubes in it and fried each side for about four minutes. It was pretty good when I dipped it in mustard and ketchup. Kind of an odd breakfast, but I was feeling experimental and I could NOT wait to cook my tofu!! I bought the kind that's firm and stored in water - don't remember what brand. Anyways, It was quite - interesting- and actually tasted good. Had a kind of chewy texture with a crisp shell. Interesting!

has anyone ever eaten plain, cold tofu? i usually get really hungry by the time i remember that i need to eat something and as i was cutting my tofu block into cubes i popped a piece in my mouth. it was really good. i decided to put it into a bowl and eat the whole thing that way.

No, but I use to love agedashi tofu...just can't figure out how to make a vegan version.

I think you could replace the bonito broth with a sea weed broth, or even a thin soysauce broth, and that would make for a yummy agedashi.
    I love tofu scrambled with garlic. And I love it marinated and fried, in a sandwich.
    "Uh, we don't eat meat. It's kind of like a professional courtesy." -Maggie, Home on the Range

italian - style stuffed shells

2 t sea salt
    12 oz large pasta shells
    16 oz prepared pasta sauce
    minced parsley for garnish

"ricotta" filling:
    1 lb. firm tofu
    4 c fresh spinach, steamed for 1 minute and chopped
    2 T tahini
    1 T sweet or mellow miso
    1 T minced garlic
    1 T italian seasoning
    2 t umeboshi paste
    salt and pepper to taste

preheat the oven ot 350 degrees.
    in a 4 quart pot bring 3 quarts of water to a rolling boil. add the salt and cook the shells halfway. drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again.
    while the shells are cooking, prepare the filling. wrap the tofu in cheescloth, muslin, or a clean kitchen towel, and gently squeeze out the excess water. crumble the tofu into a medium-sized mixing bowl along with the spinach and the remaining filling ingredients. mix well.
    spoon some sauce in the bottom of a medium-sized roasting pan or large baking dish. fill the shells with the tofu mixture and arrange them in the pan in a single layer. top with the remaining sauce, cover, and bake for 25 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling and shells are heated through.
    garnish with parsley before serving.

The curried banana recipe is really close to traditional Thai style... I've had some things similar to this, and they were all fantastic! Curry and banana is a fab combination. Try adding ground peanuts to it, I think you'll find it yummy
    "Ignorance is a curable disease"

GRILLED TOFU WITH ZUCCHINI

Serves 2 - 4
    Easy To Make
    Serve with rice, noodles, or couscous

Ingredients:

brick of firm tofu
    1 zucchini (the bigger, the better!)
    1 large red tomato
    1/4 of a red onion

olive oil
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon dried tarragon
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 large clove of garlic
    2 pinches of sugar
    salt & pepper to taste

also needed: Griddle or large skillet

Instructions:

Cut zucchini in half and then slice (longways) into steaks (medium thickness)

Cut tomato into 6 slices

Cut 8 slices of tofu, about 1/2-inch thick pieces

Slice onion into thin rings

Cut the garlic clove into very thin slices

Cover griddle or skillet with about 1 & 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil,
    Add garlic and herbs,
    Heat on medium fire

Add tofu and vegetables, laying as flat as possible,
    Increase heat to medium-high

Sizzle for about 10 minutes (pushing the tofu and veggies around a little, every couple of minutes, so, they don't stick)

Flip everything over (add additional olive oil as needed)
    Sizzle another 10 minutes or until lightly browned

"Ignorance is a curable disease"

Quote LunaVanillaVega
    The curried banana recipe is really close to traditional Thai style... I've had some things similar to this, and they were all fantastic! Curry and banana is a fab combination. Try adding ground peanuts to it, I think you'll find it yummy
    Fantastic...yummmmmy. "You can start but you can not stop eating it"

Manish Jain

Quote LunaVanillaVega
    GRILLED TOFU WITH ZUCCHINI

Serves 2 - 4
    Easy To Make
    Serve with rice, noodles, or couscous

Ingredients:

brick of firm tofu
    1 zucchini (the bigger, the better!)
    1 large red tomato
    1/4 of a red onion

olive oil
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon dried tarragon
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 large clove of garlic
    2 pinches of sugar
    salt & pepper to taste

also needed: Griddle or large skillet

Instructions:

Cut zucchini in half and then slice (longways) into steaks (medium thickness)

Cut tomato into 6 slices

Cut 8 slices of tofu, about 1/2-inch thick pieces

Slice onion into thin rings

Cut the garlic clove into very thin slices

Cover griddle or skillet with about 1 & 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil,
    Add garlic and herbs,
    Heat on medium fire

Add tofu and vegetables, laying as flat as possible,
    Increase heat to medium-high

Sizzle for about 10 minutes (pushing the tofu and veggies around a little, every couple of minutes, so, they don't stick)

Flip everything over (add additional olive oil as needed)
    Sizzle another 10 minutes or until lightly browned
    Sounds yum!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Where does everyone buy their tofu from? I heard Chinese stores are the best, as Asian tofu is better. Is that true?

Here's a website full of tofu recipes:
    http://www.superiortofu.com/recipes/index.html

(not all recipes are vegan)

I take extra firm tofu drained, cut it into cubes, fry it in olive oil in pan (small amount-just cover bottom) for 8 min one side, 5 the next, then toss with:
    these ingredients mixed-
    sesame seed oil
    bragg's liquid aminos
    small amount OJ
    some maple syrup
    (sorry-I don't measure-just do it by looks now)
    and continue to cook a little longer till gooey mixture is absorbed into tofu-it's almost caramelly.

YUMMY!

Sounds good what is braggs liquid aminos though?
    Purple Monkey! :)

Quote Tigerlily
    Where does everyone buy their tofu from? I heard Chinese stores are the best, as Asian tofu is better. Is that true?
    I don't think it is necessarily better but oriental food stores sometimes sell fresh homemade unpackaged tofu, which some may prefer.
    I like to get organic as much as I can and I am concerned about where the soya was grown and if it is genetically modified. So I usually buy taifun or spot tofu from the health food store or direct from SUMA via my food co-op. Taifun have a great range. And I look for the organic certification. All organic food is GM free in the UK.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/