Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tofu Recipes

Default Re: Tofu Recipes

Helloooo!!!

I'm here in london, sulking away because I can't find nigari anywhere to make my own tofu. Do you know where to get it? I'm not into calcium sulphate, I found a really cool japanese site (nigari experts,they are) and they say calcium sulphate causes kidney stones, and i believe them.

Sorry I'm not really following the thread, but I just joined and I don't know how to make a subtle way in...HELLLOOO EVERYBODY! Have a nice day!!

Marta !!!

Quote pantoia
    Helloooo!!!

I'm here in london, sulking away because I can't find nigari anywhere to make my own tofu. Do you know where to get it? I'm not into calcium sulphate, I found a really cool japanese site (nigari experts,they are) and they say calcium sulphate causes kidney stones, and i believe them.

Sorry I'm not really following the thread, but I just joined and I don't know how to make a subtle way in...HELLLOOO EVERYBODY! Have a nice day!!

Marta !!!
    Do you have the link to that site?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Uh-hum... You're believing Japanese people who sell nigari & such online about calcium? What do they know? Don't you think they might be biased AGAINST calcium sulfate?

No, it does not cause kidney stones. Even people with a history of kidney stones no longer have to limit calcium the same way they did before. There is tons of new research in this area. If you don't trust me, talk to a nephrologist. Just use it for your tofu-chances are you are not getting too much calcium in your vegan diet right now.

Quote herbwormwood
    I don't think it is necessarily better but oriental food stores sometimes sell fresh homemade unpackaged tofu, which some may prefer.
    I like to get organic as much as I can and I am concerned about where the soya was grown and if it is genetically modified. So I usually buy taifun or spot tofu from the health food store or direct from SUMA via my food co-op. Taifun have a great range. And I look for the organic certification. All organic food is GM free in the UK.
    The tofu I get at my local chinese supermarket is comparable to Paul's Nigari Tofu in taste (which is my favourite organic tofu), and although it's not organic it does state the beans are non-GM. And it's a lot cheaper.

I must go and get some now, I've got a hankering for a stir fry
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Lightbulb Re: Tofu Recipes

Quote Tigerlily
    Do you have the link to that site?
    yep, here's the addresssssss

www.kameyamado.com/english

I've written to them to know whether they distribute to the uk, but no reply so far...they seem very well informed. hope this is useful

marta

perhaps you could try using magnesium chloride (n.b. that link may not be food grade) as substitute for nigari? I've never seen pure nigari sold in the UK.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

erynSky

Quote ConsciousCuisine View Post
    I LOVE Braised Tofu...

1 pound firm tofu
    3 T. maple syrup
    1/2 c. water
    3 T. soy sauce or Braggs
    1/8 tsp. black pepper
    1/4 c. minced shallots
    2 sliced scallions
    1 T. minced fresh ginger
    3 cloves minced garlic

Cut tofu into 1/2 inch thick triangles.

Put Maple Syrup in a heated pan and cook until it bubbles. Add 1/2 cup hot water and stir over medium heat.

Stir in soy sauce, shallots, ginger, balck pepper and garlic; stir often over high heat until boiling. Lay tofu pieces in a single layer in sauce. Simmer over medium-low heat for 4 minutes. Gently flip the tofu and braise 3 to 4 minutes longer.

Garnish with scallions and serve, scraping all of the sauce out to cover the tofu & veggies!
    Mmmm! I tried this recipe tonight, delicious!

Ok, it's an old thread, but I thought I might add. I really like a good shake made from a block of silken (full package, not sure exactly the measurements. Will have to see), a cup of soy milk, and some cocoa powder, with optional soy protein (if I'm going for a protein shake). Blend it all up, and enjoy.

For the regular stuff, I do the freeze and thaw, then often marinate with soy sauce after slicing into thin-ish strips (but I also really love soy sauce, even though I know the sodium is through the roof <_<). I've also gone fancier and dipped strips of tofu in tomato sauce, then covering in soy flour and then frying or microwaving.
    Czujesz się wolny i robisz co chcesz. Jesteś piratem!

Quote GoodbyeGirl View Post
    from The Soy Zone

baked golden tofu dumplings with saucy dip

8 oz extra-firm tofu
    4 t natural peanut butter
    1 1/2 T tamari sauce
    3 scallions, chopped
    1 small green or red pepper, chopped
    2 medium stalks celery, chopped
    8 medium mushrooms, diced
    3 water chestnuts, diced
    1 medium sprig parsley, minced

3/4 c apple juice
    2 t maple syrup or brown sugar
    1 to 2 t tamari sauce
    1 to 2 t apple cider vinegar
    1/2 t ginger, grated
    2 cloves garlic, pressed
    1 to 2 t arrowroot powder dissolved in 1 to 2 t water
    4 medium leaves kale, washed and de-stemmed

preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
    mash tofu with fork until broken up. add peanut butter, tamari sauce, scallions, pepper, celery, mushrooms, water chestnuts, and parsley. mix well.
    form the tofu mixture into golf ball sized dumplings, and place on lightly oiled cookie sheet. rinse hands in cold water periodically to keep the dumplings from clinging.
    bake in oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
    meanwhile, combine apple juice, maple syrup, tamari sauce, vinegar, ginger, and garlic in small saucepan. bring to a simmer and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. add arrowroot water and stir 1 minute more. remove from heat.
    steam kale for 5 to 7 minutes.
    serve dumplings on a bed of steamed kale with a small dish of sauce on the side..

this sounds amazing; i will definitely try this!!

Default Re: Tofu

Quote saucyvegan View Post
    Tiger do u know how they make that chinese tofu? The tofu u get with sweet and sour etc. Ive tried all sorts of tofu but cannot make it how they do? This is my fave kind of tofu....do u know which type they use and how they cook it?
    I had some deep fried salt and pepper tofu about a month ago at a Chinese restaurant in Vancouver. It was brilliant, so i decided to try and make it. Here's what i worked out:

Canola oil for frying (it gives a different texture than vegetable shortening)
    1 pack of medium tofu
    Flour
    Tumeric
    Salt & Pepper

Cut the tofu up into the shape & size you want (i just go 1 inch squares), and then spread enough flour to cover a dinner plate. Mix in enough tumeric to start to turn the flour slightly yellow, then add half a teaspoon of salt. Coat the tofu, and shake off the excess.

Make sure your fryer (or deep skillet) is at least 350 degrees farenheit, and then drop your tofu in and leave for 2 to 3 minutes (until they look a really nice gold colour. Leave in for longer if you want a darker colour). Take out and put in a collander. Shake a bit of salt & pepper over the tofu, toss and that's it. Deep Fried Salt and Pepper Tofu. It tastes pretty close, and the tumeric gives it a nice colour on the outside without any major flavour.

Buddha Belly

Me and Helen, though mostly Helen, bought a vegan cookbook on Monday and have cooked the tofu sausages in it. They turned out very well.

250g tofu
    2 cups of breadcrumbs (can use small packet of stuffing mix)
    I small chopped onion
    I tbls of oil

Then add the flavour you want. I am going to try smoked paprika and chilli.

They need about 20 mins in the oven at 180o. Though I made them as a toad in the hole so will need to experiment a bit more with them.

Buddha Belly

^ they are excellent. Good consistancy and texture on eating. We have a burger maker so I tried them tonight. Gave it 15 mins at 170o on one side then 10 mins on the other. Flipped very well and tasted great.
    Tonight's recipe.
    Spinach and peanut tofu burger
    1 cup of peanuts
    3 cups of spinach
    2 cups of breadcrumbs (i used 3 slices of wholemeal bread baked for 10 mins on low heat)
    250g tofu (1pkt cauldron)
    1 tbs cooking oil
    I added paprika, pepper, rosemary, thyme and sage

A before and after, the burger maker does the funny little lines of a griddle but makes the burgers a perfect shape. The indent is my thumb mark, moving it to bget a better shot

Default Fave Tofu Recipes

I am looking for some good tofu recipes in both the savory and sweet deptartment that are gluten, yeast and sugar free. Any help?

Kelly
    Last edited by KellyTN; Dec 21st, 2009 at 06:29 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

I recently tried the leeks and tofu combination made in a stirfry with store bought sauce (though you could easily make your own). Very easy, quick and delicious!:smile:

On a side note

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    Me and Helen, though mostly Helen, bought a vegan cookbook on Monday and have cooked the tofu sausages in it. They turned out very well.
    How do you go about shaping the sausages? I'm assuming you have to mince the mixture in a food processor or something similar, but doesn't it fall apart?

I looked through all the recipes posted and found a couple I can alter. This forum is great for sharing recipes and info! Thanks!

Kelly

helen105281

Quote rulska View Post
    How do you go about shaping the sausages? I'm assuming you have to mince the mixture in a food processor or something similar, but doesn't it fall apart?
    BB not Helen.

It does go into a food processor and we shape them by hand. They have not fallen apart at all. We have a sausage maker gun thing that shapes them as well, but we have not used that in some time. It's like a mastic gun.
    http://www.thekitchenstore.com/eaoujesama.html

Instead of grilling them it is easier to pop in the oven after spraying with a tiny bit of olive oil. We spray them with a water sprayer with olive oil in. We never fry anything at all really. I think we last did so 6 months ago with some vile home-made tempura.

The sausage recipe that I posted earlier also makes a great 'meat' ball. Cook in the oven for 15 mins then serve with a tomato sauce.
    Ours is:
    1 tin of chopped toms
    1 small handful of fresh basil or three tsp of dried Basil (or 2 basil 1 oregano)
    2 cloves of garlic
    1 handful of spinach
    1 tbs of olive oil
    1 tsp of cornflower/ cornstarch
    Bang olive oil and garlic in a food processor and whizz for 30 seconds.
    add the rest and whizz again for 30 seconds.

This is a good basic recipe. we add it on top of halved avocado and put in the oven for 15mins. We put the 'meat' balls in too last time.

It can be used as the start of a bolognase sauce.

Good luck with them

Sounds lovely! Thanks a lot.