Thread: Being vegan in Barcelona

Tofutti_Cutie

Unhappy Being vegan in Barcelona

I'm off to Barcleona at the beginning of February and i'm a little worried as this is the first holiday since becoming a vegan. I'm staying in a hostel so all my meals are going to have to be out and about. Does anyone know any vegan restaurants or cafes in Barcelona where I could eat. Also I was thinking it might be a good idea to take some food with me?

Default Re: Being Vegan in Barcelona

I don't know about exclusively vegan restaurants there but someone who went there recently told me there's a couple of vegetarian ones. From this http://www.happycow.net/europe/spain/barcelona/

it doesn't sound too bad at all.

Always a good idea to take some emergency rations along though!

Haha how odd I'm going at the start of February too, so you won't be the only frustrated vegan there!
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

Tofutti_Cutie

Thanks, I will check out the site!

The thing that's worrying me the most is where to eat for breakfast!!!

I will look out for a fellow frustrated Vegan! lol! Are you going for a holiday? I'm going for 4 nights.

I'm going with work, it's kind of like our annual "team building" thing but we never do that, just go away instead

There for 3 nights I think, Wed 1st until the Saturday. Probably best to avoid us after opening time

Might take some of my own flapjacks or something for breakfast, at least that way I'll get something
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

Tofutti_Cutie

Quote Cloudy
    Might take some of my own flapjacks or something for breakfast, at least that way I'll get something
    Ooo have you a good recipe that I cuold steal? I make my own but if yours are different!!

Ah, I didn't actually mean my own flapjacks per se, but flapjacks that I'll be taking over, just as breakfast food really.

You can always give me your recipe though! Always on the lookout for something new
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

Tofutti_Cutie

Well after that big let down, I think I will keep my recipe to myself!! Hehe!!

I just make boring ones but with maple syrup, yummy!!!

Might try this one though that I have just seen.....

Fruit and Nut Flapjacks
    Ingredients (use vegan versions):
    50g non-hydrogenated vegan margarine
    30g vegan sugar
    175g oats
    2 tablespoons vegan maple syrup
    2 tablespoons brazil nuts, chopped
    2 tablespoons almonds, chopped
    4 tablespoons raisons
    1 banana, mashed with a little vegan soymilk
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
    extra vegan soymilk

Seize the opportunity and stuff yerself with cheap fresh fruit! There are a few markets where you can buy very cheap stuff, go close to closing time (and don't stick only to the middle of the market, where all tourists are and prices higher! and make sure to speak spanish

There are a few resturants, links already mentioned can probably help you. As for personal experiences, I've eaten at a couple of buffet resturants, apart from a few egg-containing dishes all vegan. (salad buffet, but really 'foody' salads, with lots of things going with it, plus bread). Fairly cheap, 6 euros if i don't remember wrong. These resto's also had a prepared meal menu all day (buffet only at lunch time, ie 2-5 i think), a little more pricey.

There are 2 or 3 MAOZ falafel places too, really great stuff: you can fill up your pita wrap with stuff as many times as you want; and the fillings they have are the best about the falafels anyway; especially the fried cauliflower thingy. All vegan but the mayo, i think.

BARCELONA

Biocenter
    Pintor Fortuny 25
    301-45-83
    Not open Evenings, Sundays or Holidays.
    Salad Bar. Buffet.
    Menu: Have menu of the day. Have a buffet and individual dishes. Salad and soup buffet.
    Comments: Good food and value. Very busy.
    Other Info: Full service, self-service buffet. Smoking allowed in front of restaurant. Price: $.

Bio Space
    C/ Valencia 186, at C/ Muntaner
    Eixample district
    0801 Barcelona
    93 453 15 73
    Natural Food Store. Organic produce. Large selection.

Comme-Bio
    Via Layetana 28
    93-319-89-68
    Hours: Daily 8 am to 4 pm, 8 pm to 1 am
    Natural Food Store & Mostly Vegetarian Restaurant.
    Menu: Have combination dinners.
    Comments: Good place and food. Nice surroundings. Good health food store. Nice atmosphere.
    Other Info: Price: $$.

Govinda Hindu Vegetariano
    Plaza Villa de Madrid 4
    Catuña
    93-318-77-29
    Hours: Monday to Saturday 1 pm to 4 pm, 8:30 pm to 11:30 pm
    Closed Sunday and Monday night.

Vegetarian Indian and International. Salad Bar
    Menu: Dal (lentil soup), chapatis, rice and many other dishes. Lassis.
    Comments: Good food. Indian music. Price: $-$$.

Illa de Gràcia
    C/Sant Doménec 19
    93 238 0229
    Hours: Tuesday to Friday 1 pm to 4 pm, 9 pm to 12 midnight
    Saturday & Sunday 2 pm to 4 pm, 9 pm to 12 midnight
    Closed Monday.
    Menu: Two course meal and dessert.
    Comments: Sophisticated Good food. Good value. Price: $$.
    Directions: Near Fontana Metro station on Green (L3) line. Near C/Gran De Gracia.

Juicy Jones
    Calle Cardenal Casañas 7
    93-3024-330
    Hours: Daily until 12 midnight
    Vegan Café. Juice Bar.
    Juicy Jones
    C/Cardenal Casañas 7
    302 43 30
    Hours: Tuesday to Sunday 12 noon to 12 midnight
    Closed Monday.
    Café. Juice Bar. Mainly vegan except for a few items.
    Menu: Soup, salads, sandwiches, falafel, homemade bread, a sample plate (bunch of small dishes), daily specials Indian Thali and desserts. Fresh juices. Three-course meal is good.
    Comments: Nice atmosphere. Staff speaks English. Price: $$.
    La Vitaminica de Horta
    Paseo Maragall, 413
    93 357 30 71
    Web Site: http://www.lavitaminica.com/
    Buffet. Good Salad Bar.
    Comments: Good menu of the day.
    Other Info: Smoking allowed. Price: $$.
    Maoz Falafel
    Carrer de Ferran 13, at La Rambla
    Vegan-friendly. Salad Bar.
    Price: $.
    Restaurante Vegetariano Oriental
    C/Industria, 132
    34-93-4365601
    Hours: Monday to Thursday 12 noon to 5 pm
    Friday to Sunday: 12 noon to 5 pm, 8 pm to 11 pm
    Vegetarian Chinese. Pure Buddhism (no onion and garlic). All-you-can-eat dinner buffet.
    Menu: Wide variety of dishes. Indian Curry, Japan Sushi, spring roll, fried rice, noodle dishes, sweet & sour ham, tofu dishes and more.
    Comments: Good place. Decorated like the internals of a boat. Price: $$.
    Directions: At top end of Ave. Gaudi, on an orthogonal street. Between C/Padilla and C/Lepant. Near Sagrada Familia and Sant Pau.
    Organic
    C/ De La Junta De Comerc
    Hours: Sunday to Thursday 12:30 pm to 4:30 pm
    Friday & Saturday 12:30 pm to 4:30 pm, 8 pm to 12:30 am
    Vegan-friendly International. Organic. Buffet, Salad Bar.
    Comments: Spacious place. Relaxed. Price: $$.
    Self Naturista
    C/ De Santa Anna 13
    Plaza de Cataluña
    93-318-2388
    Hours: Monday to Saturday 11:30 am to 10 pm
    Closed Sunday.
    Vegetarian Restaurant.
    Comments: Self-serve place. Not fancy. Good value.
    Other Info: Self-serve.
    Directions: Just off the Rambles, in middle of BCN. Nearest metro station is Plaça Catalunya (Green Line-L3).
    Sesamo
    C/Sant Antoni Abat, 52
    Metro Sant Antoni (L2)
    08001 Barcelona
    34 934416411
    Email: info@sesame-bcn.com
    Web Site: http://www.sesamo-bcn.com/
    Hours: Monday 12 noon to 8 pm
    Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday 12 noon to 1 am.
    Friday & Saturday 12 am to 2 am.
    Closed Tuesday.
    Vegetarian International. Vegan-friendly
    Menu: Have a creative menu. Soups, Green Salad with oranges & wakame seaweed, Oriental Sautéed Vegetable Salad with peanuts, Pasta with Sicilian pesto sauce, Brown Rice Croquettes with red lentils, Broccoli and goat's cheese Quiche, organic yogurt with honey, baked goods, Indian Potato Salad, Gnocchi, Lasagna, Stuffed Courgettes, Thai Sautéed Vegetables and much more.
    Comments: Really good place. Nice atmosphere. Some believe this to be the best vegetarian food in Barcelona. Friendly. Good well-presented food. Relaxed. Exhibits local artists work. Child tolerant. Good vegan selections. Busy on weekend nights.
    Other Info: Accepts MC, VISA. Price: $$.
    Directions: (near Mercat de Sant Antoni)/ In the old part of Barcelona, in the bustling Raval, a multicultural neighborhood. Five-minute away are the MACBA (the Barcelona Contemporary Art Museum) and the CCCB (Barcelona Contemporary Culture Centre), and 10 minutes from the Ramblas.
    Squeez
    Center of town. C/Comtal 33
    93 342 5144
    Juice and Wrap Bar.
    Menu: Fresh juices and smoothies. Good wraps. Good vegetarian options.
    Comments: Friendly. Reasonable prices.

I found this at http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.ne...e/Spain.htm#Ba

Tofutti_Cutie

Wow, great list, thanks for your amazing help.

x x x

hi TC!

i've just spent a couple of days in barcelona for my holiday... it's really no problem to find any vegan food there... you shouldn't worry! !

bbb
    xxx

How did you get on? I did ok, tried out that juicy jones place, very friendly staff, and also maoz falafel was a staple

Tried the sesamo one too, but it was closed when we walked up there, opening in the evening but by then I was too tired to go back!

Loved Barcelona too, great place to visit
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

Tofutti_Cutie

Thumbs up Re: Being Vegan in Barcelona

Hey!!

Just got back today, had an amazing time. Loved it and am deffo going back! Didn;t want to come home, it was fantastic!

Yeah went to juicy jones, loved it, very me!! Yeah maoz was fab azwell, lovely salads with the falafels. Sesamo was closed when we went, by the sign on the door it is closed on Tuesdays! Ended up going to lots of juice bars and eating the salad options in other restaurants but for a vegan in Barca, I would recommend it! Nuts and fruit markets galore!!!

Yay for Barca!!!

x x x

Remember to try "pa amb ai sucat amb tomaquet"! pronounced "par am I sue cat am too ma cut" fried kidney beans with vegan suasage or "Escalivada"!

Au, bon profit noi!

Arrow Re: Being Vegan in Barcelona

For additional information about vegan living in Barcelona check out sincarne.net. The website calls itself Barcelona Vegetarian Guide, but it also provides specific vegan information on restaurants, shopping and there's even a forum.

I ate here - http://www.sincarne.net/barcelona-ve...nts/sesamo.htm - Sésamo. It was a really nice vegan and vegetarian restaurant. They were able to do the veggie dishes vegan for you as well. Quite a cosy environment, and reasonably priced. The food was excellent, and you could see the chef cooking it all as well, which I personally quite like in a restaurant. They only had one vegan pudding though - trifle. And I don't like trifle The staff were lovely, and there was a nice mix of travellers and Spanish locals in there. It's literally just around the corner from Sant Antoni Metro station, unless you go out the other exit, then it's just across the road and round the corner The chairs there were a little uncomfortable though. I'd give it a go, for anyone heading to Barcelona.
    I like football. And potatoes.

VeganLiz

Default Visiting barcelona - help needed...

Hello my boyfriend and I are going to barcelona for three days next week. Do you know any good vegan places to eat or shops to buy food from?

Also can anyone write on here how you say I am vegan in Spainish (or a phrase similar to that affect)

Thanks

Liz x
    Last edited by flutterby; Nov 11th, 2007 at 06:55 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Piticli

Default Re: Visiting barcelona - help needed...

Hello!
    Here in spain when you go a vegetarian restaurant you must say:
    -Somos vejetarianos estrictos,nada de origen animal por favor.
    -We are vegans,nothing from animal please.
    You can say too: "veganos" is like vegan but in plural.
    Sure they know.When i have go anytimes to any vegetarian restaurant,i said it and they can recommend to you a vegan menu.
    You can write the phrase i say to you and if they don´t understand,you can show it.
    http://www.sincarne.net/index.htm
    http://www.sincarne.net/barcelona-vegan-restaurants.htm
    I hope it help to you.

I tried asking about vegan alcohol on the sincarne forum before but did not get any replies. Any knowledge on that Piticli?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Piticli

Uf! No idea. alcohol to cure or to drink?

Definitely to drink!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Piticli

ah! I don´t drink,so ...

We've just had a few days in Barcelona and so I thought I'd record that we ate in two vegetarian restaurants: Organic in the Junta de Comerç and Juicy Jones at Carrer de l'Hospital 74. Both of these have other branches I think but the ones we went to were just to the west of La Rambla, near the Liceu (opera house).

We liked Juicy Jones slightly better and not just because it's entirely vegan: everything seemed carefully prepared and well-flavoured. However Organic was good as well, particularly the salad bar. We went to each place twice each, for lunch and dinner, because they were near our hotel. Juicy Jones does good sandwiches as well as complete meals and at Organic you can just have soup or salad at lunchtime - not sure how well that would go down in the evening.

It isn't hard to find food in ordinary restaurants and bars, as a lot of them serve salads and so on - and they are a lot tastier than the average salad you get here at this time of year. The hotel we were staying in (the Principal, recommended) even had salad on
    offer for breakfast. Have made a mental note to have salad for breakfast more often!

There are a number of other vegetarian restaurants listed on Happycow but we didn't have time to investigate them - got to leave something for next time!

hedge

Bottled San Miguel and Corona are vegan - for all other alcoholic drinks check this link here

http://www.barnivore.com/beer

There is a vegetarian forum in Spain:

www.forovegetariano.org

With loads of information and has a english-speaking subforum

http://www.forovegetariano.org/foro/...splay.php?f=16

ooooh I went to Barcelona last year and ate some of the best vegan food I have ever had! Juicy Jones was great, their cookies are to die for. Vegetalia, (not far from juicy jones) does great burgers and all their cakes are vegan (there are a lot). Ameltea is a cute little Hindu restaurant, a bit away from we were stayin but we made an effort to walk there. Not all of it is vegan but they spoke good english and we had a lovely mezze. On our last night we went to Ameltea's sister restaurant which I have forgotten the name of, but that was fantastic too. Maoz was good for lunches and down by Barcelonetta beach there is a great little noodle bar. You choose what you want in your box and take it away or sit in. We took it down to the beach and sat in the (very hot) sun.

One thing we found out halfway through our holiday is locals dont have dinner until about 9pm, so its best to go out for dinner then, otherwise the restaurants might not be open. All of the places we went understood "Vegano" (male) and "vegana" (girl).

We found it really easy to find food as we found the places on the net before we went, printed them out with a map so we knew where to go!

BarcelonaJoe

Hola everybody! I just wanted to add a recent review to this thread, given that it was all about vegan restaurants in Barcelona (and vegetarian, too). Published by a local alt cultural mag recently you can be sure that all of these places are up to date. And there are a few in here that get more attention than many lists tend to give them, especially Aguaribay (amazing food and nice people) and Macrobiotic Zen (which has been a functioning vegan/veg spot in Barcelona since 1974!!). Anyway, it's really worth a look. Enjoy!

Heya all who may be interested in Barcelona, I'm living here for an undecided period of time and have lived here before, both times as a vegan. Barcelona is vegan heaven! The Eco Centre and Veganoteca are two completely vegan shops. The former has alot of eco-friendly and vegan cleaning stuff and the latter has Vegusto cheese! I love Gopal and Catbar for some good veggie burgers (and cake!) and the vegan/AR scene here seems to be fairly active. Happy Cow is a good resource for restaurants and such
    Houmous atá ann!

Glad you're making the most of the facilities Blueberries! I wish I was in Barcelona!

I went to Cat Bar while I was in Barcelona at the weekend - it was brilliant! It's a cafe/restaurant/pub, fairly small, with a 100% vegan menu and great beer selection (including Brew Dog!) I had the burger with chips and salad - really good and great prices. For a pint and a burger it came to around 10 euros (including a tip, as it was table service) but they offer a special deal where you can have a starter (soup, houmous with bread/veg etc.) a main (burger, goulash, curry) a dessert (chocolate torte/cake) and a drink for 10.50! Here's the website: http://www.catbar.es/
    www.paperbagblog.wordpress.com

Quote Troutina View Post
    I went to Cat Bar while I was in Barcelona at the weekend - it was brilliant! It's a cafe/restaurant/pub, fairly small, with a 100% vegan menu and great beer selection (including Brew Dog!) I had the burger with chips and salad - really good and great prices. For a pint and a burger it came to around 10 euros (including a tip, as it was table service) but they offer a special deal where you can have a starter (soup, houmous with bread/veg etc.) a main (burger, goulash, curry) a dessert (chocolate torte/cake) and a drink for 10.50! Here's the website: http://www.catbar.es/
    I was in CatBar this weekend too, could have been there at the same time! I love Catbar although I tried the goulash and it was basicly a bowl of pasta sauce, not what I was expecting at all! Love the burgers and chips though!
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    I was in CatBar this weekend too, could have been there at the same time! I love Catbar although I tried the goulash and it was basicly a bowl of pasta sauce, not what I was expecting at all! Love the burgers and chips though!

How funny! I was there Saturday afternoon! Totally had a craving for burgers, and this hit the spot. The desserts looked tempting, but I was too full!
    www.paperbagblog.wordpress.com

This was retweeted by Isa Chandra just now, and it looks pretty good, so hope it's of use to anyone planning on visiting Barcelona
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...c0654f19f52c88

Quote micthemini View Post
    This was retweeted by Isa Chandra just now, and it looks pretty good, so hope it's of use to anyone planning on visiting Barcelona
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...c0654f19f52c88
    I love Cat Bar, it's one of my regular places. An all-vegan pub with huge portions of thick cut chips and massive home made burgers and bread, yummy!
    Houmous atá ann!

We (me and the Fatman) have been discussing our next holiday (we are off to Scotland on Saturday, self catering) and we want a city break.
    I love Spain (my Dad had a place in Mallorca when we were younger) and one suggestion was Barcelona. He was concerned for me re vegan food, so I did say I'd ask you Blueberries, but it looks like I'd be okay.
    I think for me it would be better than Vienna or Budapest.
    Chips, yay!!!

Quote micthemini View Post
    ... one suggestion was Barcelona. He was concerned for me re vegan food, so I did say I'd ask you Blueberries, but it looks like I'd be okay.
    Barcelona is a pretty nice place to be vegan

Here is the Happy Cow guide to BCN: http://www.happycow.net/europe/spain/barcelona/

My favourite places are Gopal and Cat Bar but there are other nice places too. I have been to all the vegan places and some of the vegetarian places, look out for my reviews, I have the same name and avatar
    Houmous atá ann!