Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I got a vegan care package!

Default Re: Food from another country - swap?

this is already running twinkle

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...n+care+package

i've done several swaps and it's good (and tasty) fun. the items only need be small, you could set a limit of number of items maybe or price. be careful of the items though, the package of contents may be reasonable but it's the postage which can really jack up the price. anything over 2kg from the uk becomes very expensive.

astrid and i recently did a really mini one - she just mentioned something she couldn't get, they were small and cheap so i sent some. easy!!

seitan

ive sent about 20 or more blocks of cheezly to america, no reason why i couldnt send more

Ah silly me, I should have remembered. Thanks for the reminder
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

The idea has always appealed to me from an intrigue side. I've seen it done elsewhere where people sign themselves up for a suprise package of a designated price. The idea of a package of foreign vegan treats arriving on your door stop is carazy, and someone else enjoying what you have freely available seems neato.

I'll have to give that thread ^^ a ponder.

Default Re: I got a vegan care package!

Does anyone feel like sending me some Barbara's Bakery cinnamon Puffins? I think they do peanut ones too, that were pretty nice...

In return I can send you tasty UK goodies.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

RubyDuby

are those from the US?
    what are they? cereal??

i'll take a looksie...
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Hi RubyDuby - yes, tasty cereal, like little pillows coated in flavoured sugar I got them in Wholefoods or Trader Joes when I was in the US, I think.

Thank you for looking. Is there anything from the UK you would be hankering after in return?

RubyDuby

hmmm... i'll have to think on that.

first lets see if i can find them. i dont have a wfm or tj's near me anymore.

That is a good idea; I would like to get some food from Poland, though it could be expensive to ship.

Though, for a friend's birthday, I did send him some stuff from Poland he couldn't get in the US (like Zubrowka vodka).
    Czujesz się wolny i robisz co chcesz. Jesteś piratem!

pavotrouge

I'm not in Poland but there are plenty of Polish grocery stores round here, so I could have a look.

there are lots of Polish shops in the UK now too, but i've never tried looking for food in there because i can't speak Polish.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

RubyDuby

Quote twinkle View Post
    Hi RubyDuby - yes, tasty cereal, like little pillows coated in flavoured sugar I got them in Wholefoods or Trader Joes when I was in the US, I think.

Thank you for looking. Is there anything from the UK you would be hankering after in return?
    guess what I got today?

perhaps you have access to a small jar of a marite type substance?? (not marmite, i know i know unilever...)

Quote Gorilla View Post
    there are lots of Polish shops in the UK now too, but i've never tried looking for food in there because i can't speak Polish.
    I speak passable Polish, but there aren't any shops here.

Side note: At one store in Cali (Henry's), they had Pierogi, but labeled them "Pierogies" Granted... it's minor and probably just me, but gyah... pierog is singular, pierogi is plural. Ok... <_< rant over

Were they vegan? I've never found a vegan variety. I should probably try making them myself one day.

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    I'm not in Poland but there are plenty of Polish grocery stores round here, so I could have a look.
    Cool! I'd be interested if they had some there. I was in Germany a few times (Berlin twice, and Frankfurt am Main once), but didn't look to see.

I'd also be up for any exchange. Though I'm not sure what foods I have access too that people would be wanting.

Quote Roxy View Post
    Were they vegan? I've never found a vegan variety. I should probably try making them myself one day.
    Unfortunately, not (they had cheese). Actually, all the packaged ones, in Poland and the US, seemed to be non-vegan, having often egg or milk ingredients. I'd personally suggest making them yourself; the recipe is pretty simple and the home made ones can taste pretty good (my favorite variety is the classic sauerkraut & mushroom filling) =D

I'd like to swap with someone in the UK/Europe...or anywhere outside the US for that matter! Japan, India, Australia...
    I'm in the US near Boston. We have all manner of markets here...Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, etc. Boston Cookies are vegan and superb! But if you're ISO something in particular let me know!

I'd love to receive any vegan goodness, but I love love love Tartex, Marmite/Vegemite, and chocolate.

I'd be interested in a swap of maybe a dozen items at a time.
    mama to Ryan (7), AJ (6), Nate (3), Maia (1), all born at home.

pavotrouge

I'd be up for it I'll PM you right away.

I've just arranged to swap with cedarblue, but I'd be up for another one in the springtime if you're still interested!

Hi all I am in the UK and would like to do a swap with anyone outside the UK please PM me if you are interested thanks ;o)

Hello all,
    Swapping sounds fun! Sign me up! I'm in Germany now, so if anyone has a hankering for anything here, let me know.

Quote Artichoke47 View Post
    I have the sweetest sister ever!

http://store.yahoo.com/healthygoodies/vegan.html

Uhm...that is my excuse for the bad dinner in the "what did you eat today" thread.

Awesome, huh?

What is this? the link doesn't seem to work???

Buddha Belly

Are people still up for swapping vegan goodies as me and Helen are desperate for a swap that means we get liquid smoke? It seems we can not find it anywhere in the UK unless anyone knows anything differant.....

I just skim read a few posts and thought you folks were discussing swapping residences for holidays .

I'd suggest it but I live in my Dad's shed.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

Sounds like a fun, interesting holiday, Whalespace

BB - what's liquid smoke?
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

There's quite a few places sell it online (mostly BBQ places or those that import American speciality products)...linky
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

pavotrouge

Liquid smoke isn't sold anywhere in the UK because some of the flavourings are forbidden to be used in food in the EU. A friend once tried to send me a bottle from the US and they wouldn't let it through customs.
    Same goes for stevia.

Buddha Belly

Do you think it would be possible to get some American drug mules to changes cargo for just one trip?

thanks so much to veganf for the lovely care package i just received - so many tasty looking things - i hope she enjoys hers when it reaches her!

pavotrouge

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    Do you think it would be possible to get some American drug mules to changes cargo for just one trip?
    having expat American vegan hippies who visit their families once a year as friends helps

Liquid smoke isn't sold anywhere in the UK because some of the flavourings are forbidden to be used in food in the EU. A friend once tried to send me a bottle from the US and they wouldn't let it through customs.
    Same goes for stevia.
    Seriously? My parents always bring liquid smoke with them when they've been on holiday in the usa, and they would never do anything that's illegal :P got it myself that way too. It is accidentally found in (web)shops here as well.
    And about stevia, i've just been able to buy it online from a dutch website... but im not so happy about the taste, to be honest.

pavotrouge

they don't check traveller's bags for it (that's how I get mine), but every now and then customs check parcels for it.

(I tried growing my own stevia last year, very unsuccessful...)

Same goes for stevia.
    Wow, I almost got some to mail in my swap...glad I didn't! Seriously, what is in it that is banned?? Vegan liquid smoke looks pretty darned benign to me!

Quote cedarblue View Post
    thanks so much to veganf for the lovely care package i just received - so many tasty looking things - i hope she enjoys hers when it reaches her!
    Glad you like it!
    Once I get my package I'll totally be up for another from a different locale. My husband likes the idea too so he doesn't mind the shipping costs.

OKAY, so here's the ingredients on my liquid smoke:
    water, natural hickory smoke flavour, vinegar, molasses, caramel color, salt.
    So dangerous!
    Anyhow, I'd be willing to chance it and mail some to people in the UK. It's Colgin brand and says vegan right on the bottle.

- Krista

pavotrouge

Quote veganf View Post
    So dangerous!
    it's the hickory smoke flavour that's suspected to cause cancer. but then what doesn't

Seriously?? I mean I know how they make the stuff and I just don't get it. Oh well.

Buddha Belly

Quote veganf View Post
    So dangerous!
    Anyhow, I'd be willing to chance it and mail some to people in the UK. It's Colgin brand and says vegan right on the bottle.

- Krista
    Let me know how much to buy and send and how to get the money to you!
    Would there be anything you want?

I'd be fine with a 1:1 swap...1 bottle of liquid smoke for 1 other yummy vegan UK food item.

I got a package from the lovely Ellaminnowpea - loads of chocs, peanut chews, cookies, mint UFOs! It's fab - and I'm going to enjoy every last bit of it!

RubyDuby

Same goes for stevia.
    I've sent some twice now and luckily it made it through! Didn't realize it was banned!

RubyDuby

don't you guys have vegan cadbury eggs there in the UK? and is cheezly too perishable to ship?

I'd love to do another swap!

I have liquid smoke, oreos and wheat gluten readily available and can look for whatever else...

Same goes for stevia.
    They stock it at 'Let's Eat'

They are an American Ex Pat shop in Milton Keynes (UK) and while I can't see any online, they have it in the shop most of the time.

http://www.letseatdirect.com/acatalog/Contact_Us.html

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    don't you guys have vegan cadbury eggs there in the UK? and is cheezly too perishable to ship?

I'd love to do another swap!

I have liquid smoke, oreos and wheat gluten readily available and can look for whatever else...
    there are vegan cream eggs available here but i wouldn't think Cheezly would survive the trip - it goes off very quickly in my experience.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    I got a package from the lovely Ellaminnowpea - loads of chocs, peanut chews, cookies, mint UFOs! It's fab - and I'm going to enjoy every last bit of it!
    You are VERY welcome!
    [Marrers, did you get yours yet?!]

I sent each of you a bit of a different care package, but I hope I chose wisely with the American vegan items! Let me know if anything is outstandingly good! I loooooved the care packages I recieved from both of you!!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Quote Gorilla View Post
    there are vegan cream eggs available here but i wouldn't think Cheezly would survive the trip - it goes off very quickly in my experience.
    It might be ok if it was frozen before it was sent, I dont mind attempting it but I can only get the strong cheddar flavour locally.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

cobweb

can you freeze it?
    i knew someone once who regularly sent Cheezly to the U.S and said it was ok, personally i would be a bit dubious about it.

I read somewhere else that you could and that it just made it a bit more crumbly after it was defrosted.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

cobweb

oh right, ta, i once e-mailed Redwoods and asked but they told me not to do it, so i didn't!.

Quote Risker View Post
    It might be ok if it was frozen before it was sent
    rather you than me!