Thread: YOGA teacher training--need advice

Default YOGA teacher training--need advice

Hi All!
    I figured some of you would know this, but I have some questions regarding teacher training for yoga. I'm graduating from college in the spring and am really interested in becoming a teacher for vinyasa yoga and meditation. I'm going to be living in Chicago, but am worried that the training will take more than a year. I want to complete an intensive summer program, but I know I probably cant complete it before November. Does anyone have advice?
    If I do become a yoga teacher next year, is that my only job? Meaning, will it pay enough, or will I have to get a second job as well?

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!
    Be thankful for this moment, this moment is your life:)

Default Re: YOGA teacher training--need advice

I'm pretty sure CC is a certified yoga instructor. Drop her a PM and she'll probably be glad to help .
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

Hi -- I taught yoga for a little bit. It doesn't really pay very much. Especially considering that you have to prepare for class, get there early, stay late, etc. Money aside, it's a nice thing to teach as a sideline.

I did not take teacher training (which is actually not required for teaching). But many studios and gyms look for people that took one of the 200-hour long certification programs recognized by the Yoga Alliance (do a google search for the yoga alliance website for a listing of recognized programs).

There are many 1-month live in training programs (through Sivananda, Integral Yoga, etc.) which fulfill the 200-hr requirement, or you can take 4 - 1 week programs (see Kripalu and Omega for 1-week vinyasa/power/astanga-style programs with Shiva Rea, David Swenson, Baron Baptiste, Beryl Bender Burch, etc.) or you can find regular yoga studios in most of the major cities that offer the 200-hr teacher training programs over the weekends or at night over the course of several months (takes longer, but less hrs/wk and you don't have to go away). All the training programs tend to cost around $3,000 and it would take a long time to recoup that money from teaching yoga. It's more of a love (although I too wish that it could be a career).

Now if you could somehow get famous & get DVD and book deals, then you could make $ in yoga, but that's the marketing side.

There are extensive discussions on teaching yoga and the business of yoga at this forum:

http://p092.ezboard.com/bmovingintostillness

Hope this helps & namaste,
    Ron

p.s. If you consistently attend the same studio and over time become one of the more advanced students and express an interest in substitute teaching, that can be an in. The training programs graduate so many students that unless you are affiliated with a studio already as a student, it can be hard to leverage the 200-hr certificate into a postion somewhere.

Thanks so much! I'll look into it!
    Be thankful for this moment, this moment is your life:)

ConsciousCuisine

I have over 500 hours in training and am certified, registered and insured. I teach Kundalini, Children's Yoga, Mother's Yoga (pregnancy, postpartum) and Gentle Yoga (for beginners, full-figured, seniors and special needs).

I think that you should take training and allow yourself time to learn it on many levels before looking to it as a career (even then, as already stated, it will likely be a supplemental source of income). It's possible to make a career out of yoga but the ones I know who have done this successfully have been practicing and teaching for 10+ years and still do other things related to health/wellness/healing/fitness/Spirituality.

Best of luck and I support your choice (it's the right one for you;if you are called to it, it's for a reason!).

Robintaylor

Hi all, if you want to learn Yoga under supervision of well qualified yoga trainers then try classes in Yoga Education Institute in Australia. It's really a good choice for yoga learner.intensive yoga teacher training