Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Vegan, Organic, Fair Trade, Milk Chocolate Bar !!!!

Default Re: Vegan, Organic, Fair Trade, Milk Chocolate Bar !!!!

Well, you might like it, Puffin. Otherwise you could always use it for, er, couverture!

Am going to go back and get some of their other ones as the firm seems as if it might be fairly right-on (until we hear to the contrary)!

By the way Kevster I think if you look at the packet you'll find they don't actually claim it's chocolate! I think the % of cocoa may be too low for that, or something.

Good idea. After all my hinting and pointing to the computer screen and telling my husband that i really need some of that chocolate it would be a shame and a waist of my persuasive charm to then say i dont want any

Kevster

It says 'Chocolate Couverture bar' with chocolate in appallingly big letters.

I don't know? What the hell does Couverture mean anway? Fake?

Couverture, Chocolate Coating or Covering

Couverture Chocolate is a high quality chocolate that contains extra cocoa butter (32-39%). The higher percentage of cocoa butter, combined with the processing, gives the chocolate more sheen, firmer "snap" when broken, and a creamy mellow flavor.
    Couverture is used by professionals for dipping, coating, molding and garnishing. When melted is becomes very fluid, giving a smooth, thin coating to dipped truffles and candies. Must be tempered before use to stabilize the cocoa butter.

It is sold wholesale or in specialty food stores. Do not substitute couverture when semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate is called for in a recipe, as the increased cocoa butter content will alter the finished product. It is an expensive chocolate which is "wasted" when combined with other ingredients.

Do not confuse the term couverture with confectionery, compound or summer coating.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

...so it could be just what you need to make vegan Mozartballs. I keep hoping someone will - I used to like those. Apparently they are made of marzipan, chocolate and nougat. What's in nougat, does anyone know?

Nougat is a confectionery made with sugar or honey, roasted nuts (almonds, walnuts, pistachios or hazelnuts are common) and sometimes chopped, candied fruit. The consistency of nougat can range from chewy to hard depending on its composition. White nougat is made with beaten egg white and is soft, whereas brown nougat is made with caramelized sugar and has a firmer texture.
    Nougat is particularly popular in southern Europe: for example, in Italy in Cremona, in France in Montélimar and in Spain at Christmas (where it is called turrón, or torró in Catalan).
    The nougat found in many modern candy bars is not very similar to traditional nougat recipes, being a mixture of sucrose and corn syrup aerated with a whipping agent such as egg albumen or hydrolyzed soya protein. It may also have vegetable fats, milk powder and nuts added. This nougat is a popular ingredient in American candy bars such as Snickers, Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, Charleston Chews, and Mars Bars.
    Spanish turrón follows the traditional recipes with toasted almonds (66%), sugar, honey (12%) and egg white with a net weight of c. 300 g.
    Persian nougat is yet another variety that has been produced in Isfahan, Iran for many centuries by Ashrafi nougat and other traditional producers.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks, RedWellies, you're a mine of confectionery information

Just found a vegan recipe for nougat on the web but it doesn't sound very appealing.

Don't thank me, thank Google!
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Kevster
    How sickly sweet is that? Yuck
    My own thoughts exactly...

Cheers

Mike

well seeing as the main ingredient is sugar it's not really surprising it's a bit sweet!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I have been buying this too - I really like it but it is sweet so just have a few cubes at a time. I use to love milk choc but have been getting into dark choc since discovering makes like montezumas, cocoa tree and booja booja.

I never had a sweet tooth til i went vegan - use to be a cheese and biscuit/crisps fan but not that keen on vegan cheese so seem to be going for sweet things instead?

Alison

They sell this chocolate in the shop in the city now.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

This chocolate is AMAZING!!
    Just got a box of treats from Veganstore- jelly beans, jelly babies, american hardgums, fizzy cola bottles, 2 creme eggs and 2 bars of chocolate.
    Cant wait to try it all, so far Ive tucked into the chocolate and jelly beans and they're both amazing!!

Troutina...Please let me know what the cream eggs are like!!!
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Quote Gorilla
    my boyfriend, who is not a vegan, tried a piece of this and said it doesn't taste much like Galaxy at all. maybe it's only if you have a dim and distant memory of what Galaxy was like...
    I quite like it, thought it had a hint of galaxy, but not a great deal. Maybe I'll have to try some more.

feral

Quote alisont
    I never had a sweet tooth til i went vegan - use to be a cheese and biscuit/crisps fan but not that keen on vegan cheese so seem to be going for sweet things instead?
    I was just thinking of putting up a thread asking if others had more chocolate cravings since going vegan! I'm hoping it'll settle down in time

I have ordered the blue bar from ViVa's store and a 'I don't eat anything with a face' sweater but if I keep eating all this vegan chocci I fear I may have to return the sweater for a larger size

I ordered loads of choc from vegan store and i bought some of the Vegan Milk chocolate and i thinks its lovely.
    Feral, i have eaten two large bars and some white choc this week and i can feel the after effects

It does in the UK as well. For example for soya milk we can't put 'soya milk' on the packaging we have to say something like 'dairy free alternative to milk'.
    Really? That's terrible! What about oat milk, almond milk or coconut milk?

Quote catmogg
    Troutina...Please let me know what the cream eggs are like!!!
    Disappointing
    I thought they were going to be exactly like creme eggs, just with a different flavour instead of the orange part, but they're dark chocolate eggs with a really sugary filling that wasn't that tasty.
    Maybe it was just because I was expecting a creme egg, but I didn't finish the one I was eating. Just not that great, which is a shame because every other thing I bought was amazing!!

Gutter. I really neeeeeeeeeeeeed to find some sort of milk chocolate alternative with a fondant like centre....
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

dharma

Have you tried the Cocoa Tree vegan cream eggs catmogg? They're dark chocolate, but pretty tasty. You can get them from Animal Aid
    http://www.animalaid.org.uk/shop/chocolate.htm

I've tried the couverture bar and wasn't that impressed with it. I thought it was a little too sweet and surprisingly not very chocolatety, although the texture was good.

Oh heck, i haven't...yet.

- Byron

feral

couverture bar + feral = Yaaaaaaaaaak, yiiiiiiiiiikety yaaaaaaaak, anyone want a almost complete couverture bar? Tastes like cheap milk chocolate to me!

Default Re: Real Vegan Chocolate !!!!

REAL CHOCOLATE

And for those of you who like REAL chocolate (not this admitedly delicious but sickly sweet fair trade candy bar for teenage girls and kids above )

Serious chocoholics and Truck drivers (not for little girls)

Try this

Sugar free hemp enriched dairy free chocolate from Plamil - Omega 3 essential fats higher protein lower GL chocolate all in one mouthfull.

Sugar freeVegan Chocolate

available from Plamil and independent Health Stores.

Probably the healthiest chocolate in the world.

Quote feral
    couverture bar + feral = Yaaaaaaaaaak, yiiiiiiiiiikety yaaaaaaaak, anyone want a almost complete couverture bar? Tastes like cheap milk chocolate to me!
    This teenager wants it.

- Byron

Default Re: real vegan chocolate!!!!

This teenager wants it.
    Sorry it's for grown ups! (60%)

OMG It really IS like galaxy!!!!! Only nicer.

Admittedly, it's very sweet, but it makes a nice change from the 70% cocoa stuff. I've always preferred dark chocolate, but then when you can ONLY eat dark chocolate you start seeing the need for a bit of variety.

Have just had another 4 squares Actually it's that sickly at all (although I am having it with a cup of tea and do confess to having a sweet tooth). It tastes like it's much higher in fat but it actually has less fat per 100g than G&B.

mmmmmmmmm

All gone

Quote Cherry
    All gone
    Wow that lasted longer than mine did

I was extremely extremely good, wasn't I?

It was REALLY hard not to eat it all in one go. However, I think I may make up for that goodness and go and get another bar Or 3. The shop that sells them is only a couple of minutes walk away.........................

Quote Cherry
    I was extremely extremely good, wasn't I?

It was REALLY hard not to eat it all in one go. However, I think I may make up for that goodness and go and get another bar Or 3. The shop that sells them is only a couple of minutes walk away.........................
    Lucky you, i have to order it from vegan store
    Yes it was very nice, as long as you dont eat to much at once

i had some for breakfast this morning
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Gliondrach

Quote Cherry
    OMG It really IS like galaxy!!!!! Only nicer.

Admittedly, it's very sweet, but it makes a nice change from the 70% cocoa stuff. I've always preferred dark chocolate, but then when you can ONLY eat dark chocolate you start seeing the need for a bit of variety.
    Have you tried the Plamil hazelnut choccy bar? I seem to remember that it is not dark.

All you weaklings should control yourselves. Too much chocolate is not good. Have a nice carrot instead. They are delicious dipped in tea.

Quote Gliondrach
    Too much chocolate is not good.
    How much is too much?
    - Theodore Roosevelt

feral

Yeah Martin, I'll have one just after I put this chocolate away

Gliondrach

More than two squares in six hours. Anything more is decadent, weak, extravagant and unseemly.

feral

Quote Gliondrach
    More than two squares in six hours. Anything more is decadent, weak, extravagant and unseemly.

Quote Gliondrach
    Oh dear. But if you could eat two squares every six hours, then surely one bar every couple of days would be OK? I wouldn't want to be considered any more unseemly!!
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Yes, the plamil one's quite nice. I'm more of a dark chocolate montezuma's girl really though.

Isn't it right that cocoa has as many antioxidants as blueberries? And it's rich in iron?

Excuse enough for me

Chocolate isn't *really* a weakness Gliondrach. OK, so thoughts of chocolate do creep up on me, but I had the most delicious organic cherry tomatoes today and could quite happily enthuse about those as well. Quite fond of carrots too - although generally make into cake before serving with tea

i had some delicious lemons this lunchtime
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Gliondrach

Quote Cherry

Yes, the plamil one's quite nice. I'm more of a dark chocolate montezuma's girl really though.

Isn't it right that cocoa has as many antioxidants as blueberries? And it's rich in iron?

Excuse enough for me
    Yes, chocolate is good for you. I prefer to make cocoa without sugar. All that sugar in choccy bars is not good.

This thread is going bizarrely off topic

Back to the chocolate couveture stuff, I didn't go and get more. I'm satisfying tonight's cravings with mini chocolate, and strangely enough Mr Flibble, Lemon, cheesecakes. Made with proper 70% stuff.

That couveture stuff would be great for decorating things with. You know all those annoyingly non-vegan chocolates and desserts with milk and dark chocolate drizzled on them? Like that.

You do have a point there Gliondrach. Sugar does do funny things to people. My mum is on a no refined sugar diet (unless I make her test my cakes I know, I'm such a bad daughter) as she's worried about diabetes.

However...I'm, urm, not quite there yet

Quote Gliondrach
    oops. I guess that makes my two bars a day habit...well, exceptionally decadent, weak, extravagent and unseemly.

Oh well.

- Byron

I'm choosing to notice half the words and going with 'decadent' and 'extravagant'

And I completely disagree with unseemly. Chocolate is very 'seemly'

Gliondrach

Recognising the problem is half the battle. Actually, I had a whole bar to myself a day or so ago. But it is one of my personal holy days. There's another holy day coming up later this week.

Quote Gliondrach
    There's another holy day coming up later this week.
    Mmmmmm....Easter eggs!
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Ooooooooo, i'm feeling a wave of decadance washing over me....

- Byron

Gliondrach

Quote RedWellies
    Mmmmmm....Easter eggs!
    Not Easter. A personal celebration of the lives of two loved ones who are no longer with me. A joyous day, really.

I'd better go before I am accused of leading you all astray and well off the beaten path.

feral

Ooooohhh maybe we could start a decadance club, we could have our own thread and everyfink