Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: The cost of healthy food

Default Re: The cost of healthy food

ofcourse, you might want to change the topics, or whatever you would like. i just created it today. im going to use this for a month and see what it says then. then ill realize where most of the money is going to and where i need to cut down.

i also realize ketchup isnt a necessity, but we eat it alot this chart is for my bf and i. work food is not mine, its his stuff. we share the costs of groceries. (although he spends more than i do) i also live with my sister and we share food. and the rice bread mix, egg replacer, and sea salt last ages. we just happened to run out recently!
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

ConsciousCuisine

Quote foxytina_69
    two healthy things i bought today were kale and green lentils. they cost me 3 dollars! i used like an 1/8th of the bag of lentils and it made about 2 cups of cooked lentils. holy cow. and the bunch of kale would last probably 3 or 4 times of eating it. soooo cheap. the funny thing is, i was buying romaine lettuce all the time, which was half a dollar more expensive than kale, and its not even good for you like kale is.
    Yay! She's made the kale connection! A Kale and lentils convert! Yipeeeee

I LOVE kale and lentils. I could eat these 2 things everyday! Lots of people discard the stems but I *never* discard the stems at all...I eat every bit!

I discard the stems, I hate them!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

ConsciousCuisine

Even sliced very thin and cooked longer than the leaves, highly seasoned?

Nope, I only like to sautee/steam my kale for a few minutes. I hate them limp.

ConsciousCuisine

They wouldn't be limp if you started with the stems and added the leaves when the stems were softened

When I steam them, I steam the stems first for a few minutes then add in the leaves and the stems end up tasting almost sweet and completely delicious! I use all edible parts in the kitchen for something I even take pulp from juicing to make breads and loaves

I haven't read all the replies (since there are 7 pages of them). But, my grocery bill has gone down since I went full vegan. Of course, I also shop the bulk isle of whole foods as often as I can and stock up on unprocessed grains, beans, unprocessed sugar and flour, nutritional yeast, etc. I think a lot of the cost depends on where you live and how vast the food supply is. Organic costs a lot more in the smaller food marts, but places like Whole Foods are not much more than conventional food.

I found that the grocery store here is selling some non-organic veggies for more than the co-op is selling organic. Very strange...but beets at Krogers were $2.99 a bunch and the organic bunch at the co-op was $1.99. Also at Krogers a small bunch of brocolli was going for just under $6 but the big bunch of brocolli at the co-op only cost me about $3.50?????

ConsciousCuisine

It's similar here, Jane! The difference where I live lies in the fact that the Co-op buys local and passes on the savings to us...meaning that when I shop at the Co-op, organic is often the same price as non-organic would be at chain stores.

Is there a link to your co-op? I'd love to learn more about it CC. The one here is starting up a program to allow individuals to buy non-perishibles (sp?) in bulk at an even greater savings. I'm going to attend a meeting and see if it would be worth my while. Maybe find some friends to divy up a 50 lb bag of rice or something.

ConsciousCuisine

I LOVE my Co-op! I am running for The Board of Directors (set intent that I get voted in, please ) http://www.obpeoplesfood.coop/

I am trying to order organic vital wheat gluten in bulk to share the same as you want to share rice!

Default Re: Is veganism a privilege?

Quote Hasha
    See, it is not the fact that paying $3.5 for a bar of soap (among other things) represents a financial hardship for me
    I bought a pack of 2 avocado and apple vegan soaps from the Co-op for 75 pence last week.
    I also buy a pack of 6 large vegan "Amber" soaps, from my local asian food store, for £2.50. That's 42 pence each.
    Being vegan is not expensive if you know where to shop, how to cook and do bulk buy of dry ingredients.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Quote herbwormwood
    I bought a pack of 2 avocado and apple vegan soaps from the Co-op for 75 pence last week.
    I also buy a pack of 6 large vegan "Amber" soaps, from my local asian food store, for £2.50. That's 42 pence each.
    Being vegan is not expensive if you know where to shop, how to cook and do bulk buy of dry ingredients.
    But not everyone has the luxury of having stores like that around.

Quote harpy
    The most economical way to get your fresh fruit and veg here in the UK is, I think, to go somewhere like a street market and see what's going cheap (because it's in season or the stallholders have bought too much).

Another cheap way is to go to supermarkets just before closing time when a lot of stuff is marked down - different supermarkets have different patterns of doing this.
    I agree with both of these suggestions. We have a local greengrocer where you can get really cheap fruit and veg, about a third of the supermarket price. But also Netto and Lidl (Scandinavian and German supermarkets which have shops in UK) have fantastic bargains on fruit juice and fruit and veg.

I know how to make an expensive meal as well - I did it last night. Here's the method:

1) put all your remaining organic vegetables into a stew and cook until they are starting to smell delicious
    2) stir in left-over coconut milk from the fridge
    3) discover the coconut milk has gone off and smells disgusting
    4) throw everything away and start again from scratch using tins from the cupboard

GRRRRR! I didn't know coconut milk went off so quickly or dramatically. I'm sure the tiny amount I tasted made me feel ill all night, as well.

ConsciousCuisine

MAN! That is frustrating! I really dislike it when I make a mistake like that It never happens with coconut milk though because we immediately use it up in this house!

Oh Harpy that is so disappointing! I bet you were so upset!

Yes, CC, I knew I should have put the whole tin in the first night I used it

It made me hop around in a rage for a minute, Jane, but then I quite enjoyed the challenge of concocting a meal from virtually nothing. It certainly wasn't my healthiest effort though

Quote Tigerlily
    But not everyone has the luxury of having stores like that around.
    Do you live in a "food desert"? What shops do you have where you live? Do you have any nearby at all? Maybe people on VF who live nearer you could suggest how to maximise your shopping if you say what shops you have. When there are none nearby sometimes people can get stuff mail order or join/start a private food co-op (where people get together and buy in bulk from a wholesaler). I am in one of these where we buy wholesale from Suma www.suma.co.uk once a month.
    I haven't got a car so I need to be able to walk to do my shopping. The stores I was writing about are just ordinary (non Vegan, non organic, non- wholefood) stores. They just happen to sell some vegan items!
    Hope these suggestions are helpful

I do have some stores, but things are generally expensive. I was just pointing out, that you were making it seem SO EASY to find cheap vegan items...and not everyone can.

Tigerlily we need to get you somewhere more vegan friendly.

Let's put it this way. I spend $150 a week on food for three. It's not even all organic because I live in the polar Midwest - I'm lucky to get anything this time of year.

But I save a ton of money on advil and imitrex now that I don't get migraines anymore. Not to mention the lost days at work home with my chronic headaches. It's so worth it!

mango woman

I just dropped $93.00 on groceries for just me... and around the 7th i bought 70 bucks worth.. it's pretty pricey for me but i don't care. it's worth every penny.

Quote Tigerlily
    I do have some stores, but things are generally expensive. I was just pointing out, that you were making it seem SO EASY to find cheap vegan items...and not everyone can.
    It wasn't easy! I only knew about the soaps from doing research actually over a number of years. The soaps are not advertised as vegan soaps. I probably wasted a lot of time looking at a lot of non vegan ones until I found them, now I am sharing the info so others might be spared the time wasting I did in the past years as I browsed the shelves!
    Maybe if you post the names of stores near you others in your country could suggest what is cheap and vegan in them?
    Also if you have friends near you who have transport and go further to shops which are cheaper, perhaps you could ask to go with them and save money on travel?

ConsciousCuisine

Quote grail
    Let's put it this way. I spend $150 a week on food for three. It's not even all organic because I live in the polar Midwest - I'm lucky to get anything this time of year.

But I save a ton of money on advil and imitrex now that I don't get migraines anymore. Not to mention the lost days at work home with my chronic headaches. It's so worth it!
    I'm in California where we have lots of local produce available and we *still* spend about $200 a week on food (not convinience stuff like frozen or boxed meals, either!) and if I didn't stick to mostly buying what was on sale, I would end up spending a LOT more My family is medication and illness-free as well! It *is* worth it!

Tiggerwoo

Since going vegan our shopping bill for me and my partner and our animals is around £100 per week. The majority of our foods are organic and we also buy mineral water..... don't drink tap. It may be more expensive and infuriating that it is so much, but its definitely worth it.

Quote Tiggerwoo
    The majority of our foods are organic and we also buy mineral water..... don't drink tap. It may be more expensive and infuriating that it is so much, but its definitely worth it.
    You could obtain a water filter instead, it is cheaper and more environmentally friendly.
    See http://www.guardian.co.uk/water/stor...565550,00.html
    for more info
    also see
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/water/stor...671206,00.html

I've got a Brita water filter, the company recycles the cartridges if you send them freepost.
    Check out
    http://www.brita.net/uk/index.html?&...tion/products/
    Also, boiling your water will remove the chlorine from it, as will allowing it to stand for a while.
    Just suggesting...

ConsciousCuisine

Quote herbwormwood

I've got a Brita water filter, the company recycles the cartridges if you send them freepost.
    Check out
    Also, boiling your water will remove the chlorine from it, as will allowing it to stand for a while.
    Just suggesting...
    Are you happy with your Brita? I tried to get used to it but it wasn't any good IMO. I have refillable 5 gallon bottles (3 of them) that we get refilled once or twice a week at the local health food store or water shop where it is economical and environmentally friendly. In an emergency, if I *had* to, I would boil water to use but that doesn't eliminate the heavy metals and other crap I'd like to avoid (where I live in the US the water is HORRIBLE! ).

mango woman

I used to have five refillable gallon jugs that i refilled every time i went grocery shopping. Since i don't have a car anymore, walking with five gallon jugs full of water would be a TEEEENSY bit difficult. So i just put up with tap for now.

Me too.

Tiggerwoo

Quote herbwormwood
    You could obtain a water filter instead, it is cheaper and more environmentally friendly.
    See http://www.guardian.co.uk/water/stor...565550,00.html
    for more info
    also see
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/water/stor...671206,00.html

Check out
    Just suggesting...
    Thanks for the idea herbwormwood. I thought about a water filter in the past, but my naturopath actually said they remove very little of the toxic rubbish in them and due to me being treated for heavy metal poisoning advised me to get bottled water. I make sure that every week the bottles go in for recycling though. I agree it does cost quite a bit of money as my house gets through about 6 litres of bottled water a day.

Has anyone ever tried those water purifying systems that you put under the sink and connect to the tap, I've heard they're supposed to be pretty good at removing metals, chlorine, fluoride etc?

mango woman

ohhhhh! That's what i thought you guys were talkin about . I've had one of those that attaches right to the faucet before, and from my experience it's worked really well, as long as you replace the filter when necessary. I bet that would really be worth it! I'm sure there are lots of different brands.. the one i used was probably some noname brand.

I'm lucky. A group of us at work got together and we order a box of organic fruit and veg each every week. Because we buy in bulk it only costs us $55 Aust per week for a huge box each of mixed produce. It also gets delivered to out workplace, so we don't have to go and shop. It's delicious .

Does anyone have a list of accidentally vegan toiletries?
    It would be so great to discover that Suave shampoo is vegan, no?

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    Are you happy with your Brita? I tried to get used to it but it wasn't any good IMO. I have refillable 5 gallon bottles (3 of them) that we get refilled once or twice a week at the local health food store or water shop where it is economical and environmentally friendly. In an emergency, if I *had* to, I would boil water to use but that doesn't eliminate the heavy metals and other crap I'd like to avoid (where I live in the US the water is HORRIBLE! ).
    Yes, I am happy with the Brita and even more so since I found I could send the cartridges to them freepost for recycling. I have had mine for a few years now but I see they are changing the cartridge design so I may have to get a new one. I have drank bottled water in the past but I pay water charges to Northumbrian Water and its not cheap!
    I disliked paying extra for bottled water, also I have no car and the containers are heavy.
    I have heard that some bacterial "nasties" accumulate in the plastic bottles, also I know that plastic is a product of the petrochemical industry, using a large amount of oil to produce, and contains toxins in itself.
    Plastic is the hardest "recyclable" of all to recycle, so much so that there is more waste plastic than the recycling companies can handle, and a lot of our recycling in the UK gets transported to poor countries to get reprocessed there.
    When we drop it in the recycling bin thats not the end of the story!
    That plus all the reasons in the newspaper articles I posted are all reasons why I don't buy bottled water. Even if it was extremely cheap and I had a car I would not buy it. Unless I was in a restaurant and I wanted mineral water or I was thirsty and it was in a vending machine or a similar situation.
    I have drank fresh stream water when out hiking in the Cheviot Hills and holy well water from St Hilda's Well, http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/2008 and it is quite an experience to drink fresh water as nature intended. I sometimes wonder what our ancestors would have thought of our world, where the rich have food and warmth in abundance, but no access to free, fresh water in its natural state. Even the rainwater is polluted.

Pilaf

I always end up spending more than $60 just for my weekly groceries.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote herbwormwood
    I have heard that some bacterial "nasties" accumulate in the plastic bottles, also I know that plastic is a product of the petrochemical industry, using a large amount of oil to produce, and contains toxins in itself.
    Plastic is the hardest "recyclable" of all to recycle, so much so that there is more waste plastic than the recycling companies can handle, and a lot of our recycling in the UK gets transported to poor countries to get reprocessed there.
    When we drop it in the recycling bin thats not the end of the story!
    Well, for those who use plastics (as many do), there are some good ways to ensure that the containers uses are more environmentally conscious and personally healthful...myself, I avoid all that mess by using *glass*

Tiggerwoo

Think I'm definitely going to get one of those purifying systems when we move house hopefully next month. That way it will be cheaper in the long run and also better for the environment.

Herbwormwood. I agree with you about the recycling business. I recently read an article also about our recycling in the UK ending up in landfill sites. Is really frustrating as every week I sort out any tins, paper, bottles, plastic etc and you think you're doing a good thing, but it goes to waste.

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    Well, for those who use plastics (as many do), there are some good ways to ensure that the containers uses are more environmentally conscious and personally healthful...myself, I avoid all that mess by using *glass*
    Yea, glass is good, it is efficient to re use and recycle, low on pollution and you can re use them for other things.
    Unfortunately most mineral waters here in Newcastle are sold in plastic. Some of the ones which use glass (few and far between) have a return system, you take them back to the shop you bought them and get some money back for the bottle. I used to know one shop which did this but it was too far from where I live.
    When we talk about "cost" (of healthy food) there is the cost to our personal finances, but also the cost to our beautiful planet in pollution, disruption of eco-systems and depletion of natural resources!

Geoff

Quote Tiggerwoo
    Thanks for the idea herbwormwood. I thought about a water filter in the past, but my naturopath actually said they remove very little of the toxic rubbish in them and due to me being treated for heavy metal poisoning advised me to get bottled water. I make sure that every week the bottles go in for recycling though. I agree it does cost quite a bit of money as my house gets through about 6 litres of bottled water a day.

Has anyone ever tried those water purifying systems that you put under the sink and connect to the tap, I've heard they're supposed to be pretty good at removing metals, chlorine, fluoride etc?
    I don't know what sort of filter your naturopath was talking about but I use a reverse osmosis system that reduces the dissolved salts in Brisbane tap water from around 230ppm to 10ppm or less. Reverse osmosis is also used in kidney dialysis machines.

Osmosis Jones .

I like the ceramic water filters that sit on the bench and you fill and they filter down.

We have tank water and even though I know it can contain nasties it tastes beautifully fresh and clean.

Default How much do you spend each week to buy food?

So I'm curious to know how much do an average vegan spend in a week to buy food.

Let's start with me: I usually spend 35-45$ a week. I usually buy organic food when I can and also I don't buy often elaborate food as seitan, meat substitute..
    Last edited by Korn; Apr 4th, 2006 at 10:51 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread....

Default Re: How much do you spend each week to buy food?

I spend loads, i convienience shop, buy lunches and eat out i guess i spend £50 on just little me

feral

Quote Tiggerwoo
    Tigg if you've got a lidl near you they have bottled water for 25p a bottle. I have to buy all my drinking water as even when my tap water is filered with a brita I can still taste the metalic taste even through cordial. We must have the worst water in Ireland, it stains the shower brown!

I have no idea how much we spend weekly as hubby's always running round getting our stuff from different shops. I'm trying to buy organic again and am going to find out if there's a box delivery scheme in our area.

Several of you have mentioned it here, and I recently read a great article about it - I'm interested in the boxes of produce one can get delivered from a local farm each week. I really love the idea of supporting local growers.

Any ideas on where I can find out about these programs in my area? I live near Annapolis, MD, USA. Thanks!

Quote PercysLion
    Any ideas on where I can find out about these programs in my area? I live near Annapolis, MD, USA. Thanks!
    Try Local Harvest:
    http://www.localharvest.org/

It's a wonderful site to search for organic farms and co-ops near you
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

You know those burritos that are 3 for a dollar? My dad used to buy me the bean and cheese ones when I lived at home. Why do I have to pay 2.29 for an Amy's black bean burrito now? Or at best 1.29 for a Whole Foods bean and rice burrito? I know Amy's is organic but sheesh. I know I know, I could make my own burritos but it would be lovely to have a freezer packed with frozen burritos that I could have 6 of them in one day without breaking my wallet.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

I hear ya!!! Sometimes all I feel like eating is Breakfast Burritos with ketchup

I found this cool website.

I spend about $300 a month so that is pretty fair.

http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity.com/how-much-are-you-spending-for-groceries/

Note that the costs per week or for four person families and may need to be altered.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble