Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Are there any good arguments PRO eating meat at all?

Default Re: Are there any good arguments PRO eating meat at all?

i am hoping to move to africa in a year so i am hoping to be one of them. I will post back with info of how easy I am finding it. From what I have researched so far meat is a huge luxury there and my biggest obstacle is likely to be having meat offered to me as a kind gesture. I am not sure how I will deal with that. In this country it is so easy to turn down food but I'm not sure how easy it will be when food is more scarce.

The only justifications for eating animal products are pleasure, habit, culture and convenience. Not very good justifications in my opinion

Quote ElaineVigneault View Post
    Even if there were excellent reasons for eating animal products, they would only support eating animal products in moderation. No healthy diet should include animal products at every single meal. A more healthy approach to eating animal products would effectively be something like 80-90% vegan and 10-20% nonvegan. Instead, many omnis eat a diet that's closer to 50/50, which is incredibly unhealthy.

Many of these same omnis who claim health reasons for eating animal products won't even eat a single 100% vegan meal without being pressured to do so. They are so super-dependent on animal products, they act just like smokers or alcoholics who are addicted to a substance.

Very good post.

Eating meat, whilst it may be very bad for the poor animal concerned, is not necessarily bad for the eater!

If done in moderation then, aside from the ethical problem, the only loser is the poor animal!

I look at my father who's 73, still works manually outdoors, and has eaten a portion of meat, a glass of milk and loads of vegetables every day of his life.
    His father was 84 when he died and his father before him was well into his 80's.
    They all worked outdoors all their days and ate a balanced omni diet. The only thing they would have eaten in excess is vegetables as meat, although eaten daily, was not plentiful!
    The physical activity and fresh air would def have contributed to their long lives as well obviously, probably more so than the diet, but it shows that it's not meat and dairy that's the killer (to the human), it's the amount consumed.
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

My parents and grandparents were the same Gogs, they all lived well into their 80's. They were also heavy smokers! It's difficult to know what factors contribute to a long life and what factors don't...............maybe our parents would have lived to 100 if they hadn't eaten meat (or smoked).........who knows?

I do know though that my mum's bowel cancer was caused by eating meat...........at least that's what the doctor said.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

An excerpt from a discussion with my nephew on vegetarianism:

Him: There's a reason 'meat' rhymes with 'great'.
    Me: It doesn't.
    Him: Oh yeah.

Quote MikeO View Post
    An excerpt from a discussion with my nephew on vegetarianism:

Him: There's a reason 'meat' rhymes with 'great'.
    Me: It doesn't.
    Him: Oh yeah.
    Brilliant

To play devil's advocate. I can tell you as someone with a degree in anthropology that EVERY primate in nature eats meat to some extent. Some like chimpanzees will actively hunt at times. Others will occasionally scavenge from carcases. But from a purely "natural" point of view, at some point every primate consumes some animal product. That would suggest at the least that perhaps at some point in our evolutionary history, this behavior might have been advantageous.

If it continues to be necessary or is moral is a completely different argument IMO.

To play devil's advocate. I can tell you as someone with a degree in anthropology that EVERY primate in nature eats meat to some extent.
    I doubt you'll find anyone who sees this as a 'devil's advocat' kind of action here.
    As far as I know, I don't think anyone (here or elsewhere) holds the idea that one species should follow the diet of another one. Humans are in many ways very different from eg. chimpanzees, and I've actually tried to see if I can find a reason to what what they do - but haven't found any. ;-)

Absolutely, as humans we have a capacity to create... and destroy much greater than any other animal on earth. I guess with great power comes great responsibility.

Not currently a vegan

high cholesterol is nearly completely genetic and has little to do with diet.

I don't think meat is bad per se. What is bad for our health is the numerous chemicals in them (both through the animals being injected or consuming them and chemicals used in the slaughtering process. the added hormones and antibiotics. the food colouring made from tar. A lot of these chemicals are known carcinogens.
    I also think people consume way more meat then needed and thus eat too much fat/protein and nowhere near enough other nutrients.

And of course, the treatment of the animals. The corruption involved.

Quote monkeys mum View Post
    high cholesterol is nearly completely genetic and has little to do with diet.
    I don't want to appear rude here, but what is your source for that claim?

Most doctors suggest that regular physical activity, a low fat diet and normal body weight are important contributors to reducing your "bad" cholesterol level. One example is http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condit...38_Article.jsp

Best regards,
    Andy

Quote monkeys mum View Post
    high cholesterol is nearly completely genetic and has little to do with diet. .
    In the UK we have these adverts on TV that talk about high cholesterol and eating better food. I thought that most issues with high cholesterol are diet related? And lack of exercise and eating high fat food? There have been loads of studies that show that high cholesterol is caused by diet. Check out the China Study and Forks Over Knives, Dr John McDougall, Colin Campbell who believe that a lot of illnesses are caused by consuming animal products. These doctors treat high cholesterol with diet, a vegan/ plant based diet.
    Last edited by misosoup; Sep 20th, 2013 at 03:35 PM.

Not currently a vegan

http://www.everydayhealth.com/high-c...-to-blame.aspx I'll try and find a better example when I don't have a toddler sleeping on me.

not rude at all, it's quite a statement and should have been backed up to start with. With a "normal" diet (which would include a bit of meat), you won't get high cholesterol unless you have the wrong alleles. You have to be consuming a whole lot of fat for it to be an issue if you have the alleles that relate to lower cholesterol

If you have the bad alleles, cholesterol is still usually controlled using diet and exercise, as it's just easier to do and less side effect than medicine.

I haven't seen the china study yet, but I imagine that the people with alleles that result in high cholesterol wouldn't have had a problem as there was so little fat in their diet. Of course, now they are consuming more fat, they would have more issues.

Not saying meat is good or even ok, but we should stick to the facts.

According to wiki, 1 in 500 have the bad allele (and since it's dominant, they'll have high cholesterol with a normal diet). When I learned this in my study (genetics) there was a higher number, but there could well be more genes regulating cholesterol levels. I'd be surprised if it was just one gene.

With a "normal" diet (which would include a bit of meat)
    A "normal" diet includes a *lot* of meat and other animal products....
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Cholesterol and diet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50qezdTOSys You should definitely read the China Study with regards to animal products, heart disease and high cholesterol. They believe that a lot of our issues are diseases of affluence. It talks a lot about genetics and how they don't always determine what conditions you will have, and are often used as an excuse. Even the NHS says that high cholesterol is caused by bad diet, smoking, lack of exercise. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Cholest...roduction.aspx There are of course disorders that may make you prone to getting cholesterol, but you'd have to have a very low fat diet to compensate. http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_cholesterol.html There have been studies that show that vegans and omnis who consume the same amount of calories and weigh the same, the vegans have much lower cholesterol. Check out this lecture http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30gEiweaAVQ Lowered cholesterol through diet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c80ghQytjZI Someone with a disorder that increases cholesterol, but changed diet http://www.vegsource.com/sarah-taylo...olesterol.html For example, I have a disorder that causes my blood to become too thick, I am at risk of strokes and heart attacks because it causes blood clots and clogs lining of arteries. But it is entirely my responsibility to eat well and look after myself, and the blood markers are dropping because I am eating well. Although I went vegan for ethical reasons, the longer I was vegan the more my levels went down. I also took turmeric and aloe vera. If I keep this up I won't need medication. Had I listened to the doctor, I'd be on anticoagulants with terrible side effects. The China Study believes that although we can be born genetically predisposed to certain conditions, lifestyle and diet play a huge role in triggering them and it's up to us to take responsibility. This is what's helping me get well.
    Last edited by misosoup; Sep 21st, 2013 at 02:21 PM.

If I was in a situation where I had to survive and there was nothing for me to eat, aka survival mode, I have no doubt that I would take another life to survive, however in this day and age with the abundance of nuts, seeds, wild edible greens, vegetables, fruits, etc.. there is no need to eat animal products. If any of you are craving animal products, go get a lot of sunshine or take a Vitamin D supplement like Vitashine because Vitamin D is needed to upregulate the production of cholesterol and a lot of other biochemical pathways.

Quote hamster View Post
    Absolutely, as humans we have a capacity to create... and destroy much greater than any other animal on earth. I guess with great power comes great responsibility.

Love it!

Quote hamster View Post
    Nice one Hamster

One of Ghandhi's 'Seven Deadly Social Sins' is "Rights Without Responsibility!, btw.
    All done in the best possible taste ...