Thread: good recipes for vegan Mac & Cheese?

Default good recipes for vegan Mac & Cheese?

here's my recipe for vegan Macaroni and Cheese, it's quite good, and is a great source of iron and protein, but if anyone has an ideas of how to make it better i'd love to hear them!

quick microwaved vegan Mac n' Cheese:
    make macaroni (the instructions are on the box for dog sakes!)
    mix in bowl:
    3/4 cup brewers yeast
    1/4 cup potato flour
    1 spoon soy oil
    1 tsp demerara sugar
    1 tsp iodine enriched salt
    mix and add water until you get a a mixture with ketchup viscosity.
    pour the mixture on the macaroni, sipce up with some oregano.
    put in microware for 1.5 minute. eat!

Sounds interesting. I might give it a try sometime. I'm really liking recipes in Joanne Stepaniak's books: 'The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook' & 'Vegan Vittles'. A lot of her recipes are actually quite good. I'm actually curious to see how the potato flour mixes with nutritional yeast.

Brewer's yeast?

I don't understand how that would make it cheesy.

*feels very confused just now*

Quote Kiva Dancer
    Brewer's yeast?

have you never had it? it's a type of nutritional yeast that has a slightly more "nutty" flavor along with the "cheesy" flavor of nutritional yeast.

No, I haven't heard of it at all. I always thought brewer's yeast was for brewing beer. Brewer's yeast as I understand it is brown and very bitter tasting. Nutritional yeast is yellow and pleasant tasting. I always believed the two to be very different even though I've had places tell me it's the same thing.

Who would have thought that it would be possible to make cheese sauce out of brewer's yeast? Not I, that's for sure.

well i've just learned about both types of yeast here and uses for them too - thanks!

I have the absolute best recipe for vegan mac n cheese. I make it at least once a week:

Preheat oven at 350F

1 1/2 cups unsweetened soymilk
    1 cup water
    1/3 cup tamari or soy sauce
    1 1/2 cups nutritional yeast
    1T garlic powder
    1T paprika
    5oz crumbled firm tofu
    1 cup oil

Blend all the above in a blender until smooth. It will be very liquidy but will firm up once baked. Pour over a pan of cooked macaroni. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes until lightly brown.

Vegan Esquire

The best recipe I have come across for vegan mac and cheese comes from the New Farm Cookbook. I eat this all the time, and pretty much bring it to any potluck event I go to (vegan or otherwise). It is always a bit hit with all.

Here goes:

Cook 3 ½ cups elbow macaroni

In a saucepan, melt ½ cup margarine over low heat. Beat in ½ cup flour with a wire whisk and continue to beat over a medium flame until the mixture (called a roux) is smooth and bubbly. Whip in 3½ cups boiling water, 1½ tsp salt; 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1½ tsp garlic powder, and a pinch of turmeric, beating well to dissolve the roux.

The sauce should cook until it thickens and bubbles. Then whip in ¼ cup oil and 1 cup nutritional yeast flakes.

Mix part of the sauce with the noodles and put in casserole dish, and pour a generous amount of sauce on top. Sprinkle top with paprika and bake for 15 minutes in a 350 degree preheated oven.

I omit the oil because I just think it is unnecessary, and with 1/2 margarine, I think there is enough fat! But it is soooo good!

There is also a good recipe in the Compasionate Cook (The PeTA cookbook - it has tomato sauce in it, so I don't like it as much)

If you can't find Nutritional Yeast (look for Red Star brand, also called "vegetarian Support formula) you can order it from http://www.healthy-eating.com

mmm ive bin craving macaroni and cheese.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

tails4wagging

Default potato flour

Dont think we can get that here in UK?.

Potato flour is available from many of the "health food" shops.

Lembas sell this ... have you ordered from them yet? Their list has two brands of potato flour, Rakusens and Triple Lion ... according to their list they will split a case of the latter.

They delivered our latest order on Thursday (£289.47 minus £39.25 for a friend's share of the order) and the cupboards are bulging As mentioned previously, they are nice people to deal with and their delivery service works well for us. Their warehouse carries a good stock of day-to-day items and anything else is ordered in for you (from a list of around 10,000 items). We agreed a minimum order level with them for delivery and haven't looked back since. (You're buying at wholesales prices so save £££s.) I visited the warehouse in September and got lost driving round Sheffield as I'd forgotten to take the multimap route with me but found them in the end!

Default What is Mac Cheese?

I think it's called Mac cheese. I saw it at another vegan site and they said its really good vegan cheese, but I haven't seen it at the local health store here. They also mentioned that they made it. How do you make it? Peace
    Last edited by Korn; Dec 2nd, 2004 at 10:56 AM. Reason: This was the first post in another thread about the same subject

The only thing I can think of is that they were referring to a recipe for macaroni and cheese (mac n cheese) made with vegan cheese. The best vegan cheese on the market is Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet cheeses. They melt and taste great. Ask your local health food store about that product. It's made by the people who make vegannaise, the best vegan mayo.

ConsciousCuisine

Talking

Quote feline01
    The best vegan cheese on the market is Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet cheeses. They melt and taste great. Ask your local health food store about that product. It's made by the people who make vegannaise, the best vegan mayo.
    Amen

ill dig up my recipe for vegan mac and cheese for lyricsarah. i made it and my sister thought it was real.

for feline and lyricsarah:

about 2 cups of cooked pasta
    4 slices vegan cheese (i use a combination of tofutti and soymage)
    1/4 cup soymilk
    3 tsp nutritional yeast
    about 1 to 2 tbs vegan butter (this gives it a rich taste)
    1 to 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
    dash each paprika and parsley
    sea salt and pepper to taste

once pasta is done cooking, drain, place back in pot over low to medium heat. add all ingredients and stir constantly until thick and cheese is melted. mmm!

Thank youuuuu!! that sounds yummy...in fact, im going to attemp to make that for dinner Ive been dying for some good mac and chz...I need comfort food, the weather here has been AWFUL :P

Quote Kiva Dancer
    Brewer's yeast?

Brewers yeast or "nutritional yeast" tastes like cheddar cheese. It can be bought in bulk inn a lot of "health food stores." If you mix this with soy milk and reduce the liquid down until it is thick, it makes a great cheeze sauce. (also add a little soy sauce, sea salt, tumeric, ground black pepper and paprica).

Foxy,

Thank you!! I made it last night but I used about 1/3 block of veganrella. It was delicious. We had that with some roasted aspargus. Perfect cold, winter night meal. You always have the best recipes.

thanx feline im glad u liked it it is a good comfort food.

Love

Wink Out Of This World Mac N Cheese Experiance

I urge anybody who is into over the top out if this world yummylicious food to try this

1.5 cups plain soymilk
    1/3 cup tamari or soysauce or bragg's
    1.5 cups nutritional yeast
    1 T paprika
    1 T garlic powder

1/2 block of tofu (not the silken kind)
    1/2 cup of vegetable oil
    a couple T of butter (vegan, of course)
    1 dollop of mustard

Mix all those together in a blender or food processor and whip it up. It is a bit liquidy, though it will cook down when added to macaroni and baked in the oven at 350 for 10 or 20 minutes as I do (makes it nice and hot and a little crispy on top).

Quote jasond10
    Brewers yeast or "nutritional yeast" tastes like cheddar cheese. It can be bought in bulk inn a lot of "health food stores." If you mix this with soy milk and reduce the liquid down until it is thick, it makes a great cheeze sauce. (also add a little soy sauce, sea salt, tumeric, ground black pepper and paprica).
    They're not the same, this brewer's yeast and nuritional yeast. Brewer's yeast is for beermaking. Nutritional yeast is not.

eta: This lists 2 types of brewer's yeast. One call beer yeast=brewer's yeast and one called brewer's yeast. The only difference is that the beer yeast is a live culture while brewer's yeast is not.

Confusing.