Thread: US (especially Michigan) Vegans?

Default US (especially Michigan) Vegans?

Hey guys,

from the 19th February to the 5th March I will be over in the States visiting a friend who lives in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Now, I'm just about OK with vegan food here in the UK, but I haven't the slightest idea how to go about finding food in the US.

So, can anybody here help with info on where I can find suitable products (food and otherwise, as I'm not sure whether I can take my soap and stuff with me) or on any particular brands that are designed for us lot?

Thanks a lot

Love, life and peace,
    - antman

Default Re: US (especially Michigan) Vegans?

Born and raised on a farm in Michigan. (Don't live there any more though) Try this place. Westnedge is easy to find. It is a main street that runs from one end of the town of Kalamazoo to the other.

Apple Valley Natural Foods
    6749 South Westnedge Street
    616-329-1611
    Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Friends

http://www.veggiehead.com

I live in the US, but not Michigan. Regular supermarkets will have lots of vegan items usually. Tofu is almost always in the produce section. Soymilk can be with the refrigerated milk or in the coffee/powdered milk aisle. Also, a lot of supermarkets have natural/organic sections or aisles, and you can find specialty items.

Health food stores are also goldmines for vegan foods. You can look up local ones in the Yellow Pages (phone book) or ask around. Most towns usually have 1 or 2, at least where I live they do.

Why can't you take your soap with you?

I live in Michigan, and the Kroger by my apartment has a great organic section that's nearly like a Pangea catalog (plenty of vegan food, soap, shampoo, etc.). Here's the basic idea of it: the rich neighborhoods have grocery stores with well-stocked organic sections, and the not-so-rich-neighborhoods won't even have organic sections in their grocery stores, but there are also a good amount of organic stores around. I don't know the specifics of Kalamazoo, so I can't tell you anything that you wouldn't be able to find on the internet, too. I hope you like Michigan, and don't make any generalizations because I'm sure the people in Kalamazoo are much nuttier than those of my own metro-Detroit! Good luck.

If you end up going to Ann Arbor (where I spent four years) there are a bunch of vegan options. Jerusalem Garden and Ali Baba's are good middle eastern places, and Earthen Jar is an entirely vegetarian family owned Indian restaurant. Seva is a vegetarian restaurant nearby too. For groceries is the People's Food Co-op. I don't know if you'll get a chance to go to Ann Arbor, but I really like the town!
    I'm vegan. I tell corny jokes, not cheesy ones.

WholeFoodsMarket

on the border of AnnArbor/Ypsilanti on Washtenaw

definatly a must-go place, especialy if you've never been to one.

get directions here: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/

Yes, Whole Foods is awesome. But, there isn't one in Kalamazoo. I drive 30 minutes to get to the one in A2. Seva is worth the drive to A2. They have a wide selection of vegan options.

Most of the bigger cities have natural foods stores, and most of the larger chains have vegan food selections. If nothing else, you can always find fresh fruits and veggies. Even Meijer has organic options now.

Talking Re: US (especially Michigan) Vegans?

Antman, I recommend you come and spend a day in Ann Arbor (aka A2)! I have lived here for 36 years and it would make a nice drive from Kalamazoo to spend the day. Pretty vegan friendly place...and I second what spacehippy said about places to go....might add Cafe Verde to them though.

Wait, there's a actually a place named Kalamazoo? I thought it was made-up name for someplace far away.

Peace, love, and happiness.

Yep, Kalamazoo exists. Use to be famous for cereal.