Thread: Cooking with oils is bad?

Default Cooking with oils is bad?

I've heard that it's bad to cook with oils, because it releases free radicals which can have a destructive effect on the body. Does anyone know anything about this?

Default Re: Cooking with oils is bad?

CC should know.

I know cooking with flaxoil is bad.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

ConsciousCuisine

Yes. Heating most oils results in a toxic mutation;they become unstable. I have discussed this extensively on this forum and will look for links to threads.

Thanks-

So, oils should only be eaten cold then, like on salads?

I learn something new everyday.

ConsciousCuisine

Thanks CC- I checked them out.

There is something that confuses me- when you buy oils are some of them already cooked-- so I should only buy "cold-pressed" oils? Or should I just not heat oils?

ConsciousCuisine

You have good questions! The process by which oils are extracted is very important. Always buy cold pressed oils. Look up "Udo Erasmus" at your library to see if any of his writings on oils are available.

Thanks, I will.

sugarmouse

i usauly cook with avacado oil!
    ill stop n add itafterwards! thanks CC

What are we supose to cook with without oil? Would the food burn to the pan?

Yeah, I was just thinking that Tigerlily.

And also, if we add it to our food when it's cooked, surely the temperature of the food could still cause mutations? Is it the temperature of the oil or the duration of it being heated that causes it to be unstable?

i've found for some things (not all) i can start off by dry-frying them on a low heat and they start to release some of their own juices and then i can turn the heat up if i need to as they wont stick now

ConsciousCuisine

^^Exactly, Cedar. Also, adding water, vegetable stock, marinades etc. does the trick as well! Dry-frying, steaming, baking or braising is the way to go!

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Span
    And also, if we add it to our food when it's cooked, surely the temperature of the food could still cause mutations? Is it the temperature of the oil or the duration of it being heated that causes it to be unstable?
    Unless you serve your soup at a boil, you should be fine Adding oils, if desired, to your plate of food is a good way to ensure you are getting only a small serving and that the oil is not brought to great temperatures. It's the high cooking temperatures and the prolonged high temperatures causing the oils to degrade and become unstable that makes them toxic.

Thanks very much CC it's all good to know

Yay! I don't have to feel bad about pouring my flax oil over my steamed veggies now (the only way I like my flax).

2 more burning questions:

-Don't all cake/cookie recipes call for oil of some kind? Can you make them without?

-Also, if things like nuts naturally contain oil in them, can they not be cooked? So only raw nuts are healthy to eat?

ConsciousCuisine

Quote thecatspajamas1
    2 more burning questions:

-Don't all cake/cookie recipes call for oil of some kind? Can you make them without?

-Also, if things like nuts naturally contain oil in them, can they not be cooked? So only raw nuts are healthy to eat?
    Yes and yes!

Keep in mind that eating a bit of cooked oils (and oil containing foods such as nuts and seeds) is far less toxic than 98% of what the average person eats. Still, to answer directly, nearly all cooked oils reach a point where they become rancid, difficult to digest and toxic and so it is best to avoid them or eat foods/oils/oil containing foods that have oils which can withstand heat without mutating as much or as rapidly.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Tigerlily
    Yay! I don't have to feel bad about pouring my flax oil over my steamed veggies now (the only way I like my flax).
    My family LOVES it that way! I also press several cloves of garlic, crack some fresh pepper and juice a lemon or a lime, zest a bit of the peel, splash in a bit of umeboshi (or a pinch of natural salt) and add flax oil...over steamed veggies this is the BEST!!!

So what could replace the oil in a baked goods recipe- juice, maybe?

ConsciousCuisine

apple sauce, pureed plums/re-hydrated prunes, silken tofu, regular tofu and don't forget your "egg replacer" to have it rise effectively:

General baking: 2 tbsp water + 1 tbsp oil + 2 tsp baking powder

1 banana or 1/4 cup apple sauce plus 1/3 tsp baking powder for each egg called for in a sweet, baked recipe

1 egg:1 tbsp ground flax seed mixed in 3 tbsp water (let sit for a few minutes)
    Ener-G Egg Replacer: One whole egg = 1 tsp powder + 2 tbsp liquid

Tofu: To substitute for one egg in a recipe, mash 1/4 cup tofu and add (works well for "Quiche")

Now, I'm not gonna lie...fat makes everything taste better, but we are talking about health here not decadent deliciousness Just know the cakes will *not* taste the same without oil!

What about oil in bread? (homemade bread).
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

When I was in Sadhna Forest,Auroville(Pondicherry-India), I enjoyed everything cooked without oil. They used water instead oil. It was healthy plus vegan. Most refined oil are highly processed. But here at home, I got again addicted to Oil,deepfrying. I know it is not good for health

Manish Jain

Now, let's say the only heated oils we eat were from baked good which we only ate like once a month? That wouldn't be so bad, right?

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    apple sauce, pureed plums/re-hydrated prunes, silken tofu, regular tofu and don'f forget your "egg replacer" to have it rise effectively:

General baking: 2 tbsp water + 1 tbsp oil + 2 tsp baking powder

1 banana or 1/4 cup apple sauce plus 1/3 tsp baking powder for each egg called for in a sweet, baked recipe

1 egg:1 tbsp ground flax seed mixed in 3 tbsp water (let sit for a few minutes)
    Ener-G Egg Replacer: One whole egg = 1 tsp powder + 2 tbsp liquid

Tofu: To substitute for one egg in a recipe, mash 1/4 cup tofu and add (works well for "Quiche")

Now, I'm not gonna lie...fat makes everything taste better, but we are talking about health here not decadent deliciousness Just know the cakes will *not* taste the same without oil!
    Wow, im gonna make quiche!! Yummy. CC, you is just SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO strikingly clever.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

One who is living without Oil, should naturally increase intake of Sesame Seeds( Tahini), Soyabean( Tofu,Milk), Almond( Milk or butter), Fresh Pea Nuts, Olive, Sunflower Seeds,Coconuts,Mustard etc.

Do you agree CC to this?

I think it is more better and healthy options.

Manish Jain

mango woman

I almost NEVER cook with oils.. if i'm frying stuff i'll either try to get some water and some moisture from the veggies, or i'll use applesauce or ground flax if i'm baking.. you can make some AWESOME bars if you use applesauce or flax in the place of oil..

I heard that cooking with saturated oils such as coconut oil is better as they are more stable at higher temperatures? Does anyone know is this is correct? I don't really cook with oils much anyway but I might cut it out completely if this is wrong.