Thread: Potatoes are good for human?

Default Potatoes are good for human?

I have read at many places that Potatoes are not for body.

Is it true? Why? I need some reference please.

Manish

Many jains abstain from potatoes and other root vegetables, don't they?

ConsciousCuisine

Quote let_me_view
    I have read at many places that Potatoes are not for body.

Is it true? Why? I need some reference please.

Manish
    Potatoes contain toxins that are believed to cause cancer, are difficult to digest, have glycoalkaloids solanine and chaconine.

Can you give some reference please, as I don't eat Potatoes but people do ask me about it. The reason for my not eating is my religion.But I wants to know about scientific reason.

Manish

According to macrobiotics, potatoes is one of the most yin vegetables, and therefore has a negative effect on people who already are "too yin" - in othe rwords, most people (again, according to macrobiotics). Potatoes are also rather high in carbs and low in protein.

Please do submit me more about it. As I am writing an article on it.
    Thanks Cuisine and Do something.

Manish

ConsciousCuisine

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

Look through here. There's enogh to reference and you can learn more as you like...

Be Well!

I eat potatoes like four or five times a week. I love eating them and no harm was done. Potatoes are OK!

Potatoes contain secondary metabolites called glycoalkaloids which are believed to be important in defence mechanisms against pathogens such as viruses, bacteria, fungi and insects. However, these glycoalkaloids are significant toxins in human as well as animal nutrition.

In common potatoes, the most prevalent glycoalkaloids are alpha-solanine and beta-chaconine (ca. 95% of total glycoalkaloids). Other glycoalkaloids found include beta- and gamma-solanines and chaconines, alpha- and beta-solamarines and aglycones demissidine and 5-beta-solanidan-3-a-ol, and in wild potatoes leptines, commersonine. demissine and tomatine (see Table1).

Potato glycoalkaloids are cholinesterase inhibitors and cause poisoning leading to accumulation of acetylcholine in nerve tissue. The major factors affecting glycoalkaloid content in potatoes are genotype (variety), tuber damage and environmental factors including light and low temperature. There are strong interactions between genotype and environment in terms of regulating glycoalkaloid content of tubers.
    http://www.scri.sari.ac.uk/SCRI/Web/...nutritonal.asp

Each year the world produces approximately 350 million tons of potatoes. The U.S. per capita consumption of potatoes is about 61 kgs per year. As you can see potatoes (Solanum tubersum) serve as a major food source as well as an inexpensive source of energy and good quality protein. Potatoes are grown mainly for human consumption but they are also widely used as food for livestock.

It is a less commonly known fact that potatoes produce compounds called glycoalkaloids that have been shown to be toxic to both man and to animals. At high enough levels the glycoalkaloid found in potatoes known as solanine can cause irritation of the gastrointestinal tract, impairment of the nervous system, and it is believed that they can cause teratogenic or birth defects. Neurological signs can include ataxia, convulsions, coma, muscle weakness, and involuntary urination.

Potatoes produce several different glycoalkaloids. The most well known one of these is Solanine; it is believed to be responsible for food poisoning. Solanine is a glycoalkaloid containing a steroid alkaloid nucleus with a side chain of three sugars. Solanine is the most active cholinesterase inhibitor found in food due to its location in edible portions of plants. It has the ability to prevent the breakdown of acetylcholine -a very active neurotransmitter- in the human body. The accumulation of acteylcholine in neuromuscular junctions impairs the function of the nervous system and its effector organs. Studies have linked birth defects such as spinal bifida in humans as well as breeding problems in animals to potato glycoalkaloids.
    http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/courses...drew/intro.htm

Manish

does cooking potatoes break down any of the undesirable compounds?

ConsciousCuisine

It is believed that cooking renders them less harmful and does indeed inhibit the harmful compunds from doing damage.

The domestication of the potato is one of the great marvels of human accomplishment, as it was bred from a poisonous wild plant by the Inca. It served them well as they planted many breeds in the differing micro-climates of the Andes. In Ireland, a diet of potatoes and milk provided decent nutrition and allowed their population to explode.

Also, since potatoes can be kept underground all winter until one is ready to eat them, many potato-growing peasants still had food after a hungry army passed through.

I love potatoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Lightbulb

Quote i_like_deer
    does cooking potatoes break down any of the undesirable compounds?
    What ever I have read so far till now, I can say that no form of cooking destroys Glycoloids-Solanine in it. As much as this is exposed to light, its toxictiy goes up ! Possibly keeping underground/or in total dark area prevents rapid increase of its toxicity.

Manish Jain

beforewisdom

Potatos aren't bad, its the way they are prepared and the toppings people put on them.

Sweet potatos and yams are more nutritious then white potatos. They are also lower glycemic( breaks down into sugar slower,.....more filling , better blood sugar/hunger control ).

Sweet potatoes - ahhhh

that's enough dissing the potatoes chaps! tatties rule!