Thread: Flaxseed Oil/Recurring Metallic Taste

Default Flaxseed Oil/Recurring Metallic Taste

Lately, every once in awhile, I'll have a day when everything I eat has a light metallic aftertaste. Everything from raw vegetables to cookies. Metallic is a strong word, it's not like putting a penny in your mouth, but it's unpleasant.

When it first happened, in an effort to discover the cause, I eliminated all the new things I had added to my diet that week and then worked through them with the process of elimination.

I recently purchased some cold-pressed flaxseed oil. I like to mix it with my salad dressing (I've done it with two different kinds). I think that might be the culprit, although it seems to depend on the quantity. I don't taste while I'm eating it, it's a an aftertaste later. And it doesn't happen every time.

Any ideas on this? Has this happened to anyone? Is it a bad sign, or just a strange preference? The expiration date is good and everything on the bottle.

Thanks!

Default Re: Flaxseed Oil/Recurring Metallic Taste

Hmmm....the last time this happened to me was while I was still veggie and had eaten a large quantity of blue cheese. The next day, I had this horrid metallic taste in my mouth as well as a migraine. Everything tasted metallic!

I am blaming the cheese for causing the migraine which gave me the taste (or so I'm thinking), so I don't know how my situation would relate to yours...

You could try purchasing filtered flax oil next time (unless the bottle you have now is filtered).
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Or try whole flax seeds. Keep them in the fridge, and you can grind them up fine and add to smoothies (for thick smoothies, just throw the seeds in the blender), or put on oatmeal.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I am going to try these.

I'm actually starting to wonder if this isn't something else and the flaxseed oil isn't just a red herring. Sometimes it happens on days I haven't had any oil. I'm cutting it altogether for about a week just to see. If it still occurs, I'm going to see a doctor b/c I know that there's a handful of medical conditions that could be responsible.

Percy, what kinds of medical conditions?

Well, my mother, who is a nurse anesthetist said that it could be caused by a viral infection or bug, but that it's also a symptom of brain dysfunction and lead poisoning.

Now she and I agree that it's probably not one of the more serious ones, b/c the other symptoms of those two are pretty severe and I'm not displaying them. I went ahead and made an appointment with the doctor for later in the week that I can cancel if I feel better.

I've become a little achy and sniffly, so it could be the flu, or something like it, setting in.

*EDIT*
    I know that this can be a reaction poisonous mushrooms and metal dental fillings as well.

I must confess that starting last night my hands and feet have been feeling a little tingly and heavy, so I think I'm going to bump that doctors appoitment up a little if I can.

i had once that experience and cause of it were pills for lowering body temperature when you have fever
    http://www.prijatelji-zivotinja.hr/index.en.php

veganja

Once had something similar and doc suggested it might be stomach acid comiing up in the night. After a while it went away. Later wondered if it was due to eating nuts before bed.