Thread: Yeast Infections: A Men's Thread

Default Yeast Infections: A Men's Thread

Since there's no men's forum, I'll create this in Health - anyone is welcome to reply.

Actually I don't like the title of this thread, but since the current thread on the subject says "A Women's Thread" in the title I guess there's no choice. According to past discussions it's been decided that men can post in the women's forum, but as it explicitly says also in the title I don't feel welcome to post in it.

Personally I've never developed my own Candida, but it's totally possible for men to do so. For some reason though it's never talked about and I don't know why. Infact, it's not just not talked about, it's also a taboo (in the UK at least) for men to admit being passed it sexually by women - to the point of it not being taught in sex ed at school (at least not when i did it).

Women suffering from thrush is mainstream and big business - there's flashy ads on TV and it's an above board topic of conversation. Yet for a man to have thrush is just not mentioned. When I first caught thrush from my ex, despite being aged 22 and certainly not having led a sheltered life I knew nothing about it - I assumed at first that she'd given me an STD. Having read up on it I now know for a fact it's not uncommon and women don't have to show signs of it to pass it on.

The sad fact is that when I went to the pharmacy to get a cream for it and ask advice they claimed they'd never heard of a man buying any. How embarassed at that point was I?! Men can then give thrush back to women if they don't treat it, and thanks to the lack of education on the subject I'm sure there's a lot of men carrying it out there.

Thus I decided to create a men's topic on the subject, where people can share their experiences if they want. I certainly think it's useful and worthwhile raising awareness of thrush in men as opposed to something limited only to females. Ideally it'd be merged with the women's thread and be renamed people's instead, but if people want to talk seperately then so be it.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Default Re: Yeast Infections: A Men's Thread

Flibbs - you are CUTE!

You are so right about this not being discussed by health care professionals or people in general. It's amazing how many times women get recurring yeast infections due to the fact that her mate has candida in his mouth or penis. I have felt like a lonely broken record for years on this particular topic. The lack of discussion and knowledge is no better in the U.S.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Wow, I never knew that. Of course, I'm pretty naive on the general topic of yeast infections (fingers crossed.)

I was aware of this issue, but only because I had a more in-depth class in college that discussed it. But I never hear about it in everyday life; no men in the monistat 7 commercials.

Quote Mr Flibble
    The sad fact is that when I went to the pharmacy to get a cream for it and ask advice they claimed they'd never heard of a man buying any.
    Odd - when I had it (or something similar) as a student they gave me some cream for my partner to use as well, for the reason that you mention, i.e. cross-infection. That was in the Jurassic period of course so perhaps this knowledge has been lost.

Quote harpy
    Odd - when I had it (or something similar) as a student they gave me some cream for my partner to use as well, for the reason that you mention, i.e. cross-infection. That was in the Jurassic period of course so perhaps this knowledge has been lost.
    If you read the small print on the inner instructions of creams they do say suitable for men, but certainly no advertising is spared on that. I'm sure that GPs will prescribe/suggest it if men report it to them, but I've a feeling that most men who do treat themselves have it bought for them or shared as opposed to them doing anything pro-active about it. The pharmacy in question was a large outlet of Boots, they really should have known what they were talking about.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

When I had thrush several years ago and I went to the Dr's, she asked my then partner (he went in with me) if he had any symptoms. It can be transfered back and forth through penetration or orally. Taking inhalers for asthma can also give someone oral thrush.

I like the idea of a mixed thread(men and women).
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I always knew men could have it! I heard you can also get it on other parts of your body, like under the breasts for women.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

VeganLiz

Didn't someone on here have it in their armpits recently? Wondered if I get that as i have yeast issues a lot. My armpits sometimes get really itchy for a few days (e.g. like now) but i don't have a rash or anything. Any ideas on this one.

Liz X

Quote VeganLiz
    Didn't someone on here have it in their armpits recently? Wondered if I get that as i have yeast issues a lot. My armpits sometimes get really itchy for a few days (e.g. like now) but i don't have a rash or anything. Any ideas on this one.

Liz X
    Do you shave there? Could be hair re-growth?
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

ConsciousCuisine

Quote VeganLiz
    Didn't someone on here have it in their armpits recently? .
    Yes, tailsforwagging had it in her armpits.

Seaside

Every living thing carries yeast organisms. One of the jobs of yeasts is to commence the decay process after death of the host organism, which is why they are so damaging when the natural beneficial bacteria that keep their populations in check are unable to do their job. They aren't parasitic, and when they are kept in balance by other microorganisms they don't cause trouble. Antibiotics are the chief cause of yeast overgrowth, as is a diet high in overprocessed starches and sugars, and anyone can get a yeast overgrowth anywhere.

My dog used to get them in his ear, which is one of the reasons I started researching dog and cat nutrition. I have greatly reduced the frequency with which he gets them, through diet alone, and when he does get one, I do use the over-the-counter vaginal cream on him, and it works great! Much more affordable than $250.00 at the vet!

Isn't a male candida infection "jock itch"? Or, is jock itch a different fungus? Because jock itch meds are always in the pharmacies.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

My patients get it all over, nebulisers and ventolin inhalers can encourage it in the mouth and of course anywhere warm and sweaty like armpits, under breasts, groins etc.
    Too many antibiotics encourage it too as they destroy the body's natural protective flora.
    Silent but deadly :p

I never had a yeast infection and I hope I never do!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

A friend of mine (male) had a rash all around his neck and down his legs which, when he went to the docs, she said was part of the same family as a vaginal yeast infections.

The cream, as ever, only treated the symptoms, didn't actually clear up the infection, and for 6+ months he was driven crazy with persistent itching. The doc told him that he could use the over the counter vaginal candida creams, but hey girls (and boys too) we know how small and yet how expensive they are.

I know I posted this in the women's thread, and I don't mean to keep on about it (I don't get paid for it-honest ) but PAU D'ARCO is a wonderful herb for all infections but especially effective on yeast infections. Within 2 days, the symptoms and infection had gone. (it hasn't come back either).

It's suitable for men, women (perhaps even dogs Seaside), is easily available in health shops, will sort out the problem without compromising some tricky vegan ethics, and prevents lining the pockets of pharmaceutical companies!

Buy some buy some NOW EVERYBODY!!! ahem..... sorry

Quote thecatspajamas1
    Isn't a male candida infection "jock itch"? Or, is jock itch a different fungus? Because jock itch meds are always in the pharmacies.
    That's usually a different species of fungus called Tinea cruris. Athlete's foot is Tinea pedis.

I'm actually going to try the OTC yeast medication on this recurring fungal issue I have. I've been using the athlete's foot/jock itch meds and only found temporary relief. Thank you Mr. Flibble for starting this thread, as I don't know that I ever would have thought about yeast medication on my own.

Cheers,
    rant

Please beware of those lovely cheap "Nail Spa" businesses springing up all over the U.S. You can easily get toe nail fungus from a pedicure. The foot bath needs to be cleaned between each customer with bleach in order to kill the fungus. I assure you this is not being done if you are not paying a LOT for a pedicure. I have stopped going to those cheap places after getting a fungus infection. And yes, I was warned but I thought it wouldn't happen to me. (Subsequently, I have learned how to do my own pedicure - much cheaper.)

This goes for men too.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Can eating a lot of yeast (ie marmite etc) make you more susceptible to yeast infections?

Just for the record an ex of mine had male thrush too, before he started seeing me, as I tend to get it a lot too we used condoms to prevent cross-infection.
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

I've got thrush
    It's rubbish!
    Garlic usually works, though can sting quite a bit. (rub it on and put some thin slices under your foreskin).
    I've heard tea tree oil is good and also patchouli oil too.

Tea trea oil worked for me!
    It stings too though, so use moderation.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Well, I've had no luck clearing it up with vaginal yeast creams. Tea tree oil helps but hasn't cured it. I'm not really positive it's a fungus anymore. I think there was a fungus there (the anal region) but now it's just irritated and sensitive from constant creams, oils, ointments, and what-have-you along with daily wear and tear.

For the last week or two, I've just been cleaning the area and being gentle with it (yes, you can laugh). It seems to be getting better.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

sorry couldn't resist having a peek - thrush is not gone when it looks as if it is gone especially in men. Most people stop the treatment way too early thinking it is gone but it is still lurking with a vengeance. Keep the treatment going for at least 2 weeks after you think it has gone and also of course make sure any partners are treated as well or it will just keep shuttling backwards and forwards between the two of you.

Is it possible you could've contracted the yeast infection from your then girlfriend? Yeast infections can also be sexually transmitted.

I have a yeast infection and I know it is not from sexual contact as I haven't seen my fiance since October. I am new to Veganism and have started adding yeast extact to lots of food, baking my own bread, increasing soy intake, etc.

I found this article and am now thinking of reducing my intake of soya milk, tofu and tempeh.

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/ad...r_my_sex_drive

The bio culture in Soy yoghurt however is supposed to be good if applied to the infected area a few times a day.
    The value of a sentient life is not measured in its utility to others, but in its immense, irreplaceable value to the being whose life it is.

*sigh* The yeast in foods that you eat is not the same as the yeast you get in your pudenda. It's got nothing to do with it. You can get yeast infections from a plethora of things, the least of which would be sex.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.