Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Food sensitivity/reaction

Default Re: Food sensitivity/reaction

Quote mixandmatch View Post
    If I eat anything with a high concentration of soy in it (milk, ice cream, luna bars) I get major stomach cramps
    Me too.

At first i hoped it'd be just a temporary thing but it's been 2 months already
    and i think i'll try to avoid soy from now on.

I believe our bodies know better most of the time (except when
    drugs and mind games screw it up) and i never quite liked soy,
    the taste of it etc, my body never got fond of it.

i'll have to try alternatives for it or just use less.

Quote vegetarian_cat View Post
    Me too.

At first i hoped it'd be just a temporary thing but it's been 2 months already
    and i think i'll try to avoid soy from now on.

I believe our bodies know better most of the time (except when
    drugs and mind games screw it up) and i never quite liked soy,
    the taste of it etc, my body never got fond of it.

i'll have to try alternatives for it or just use less.
    Haha, go us! Rice milk is a really good substitute, but anything else is really yucky. I still eat the occasional veggie dog, because it's mostly tomatoes with soy protein. Seems to be okay, just not all the time.

Find a replacement quick! Cause if you're still feeling yucky after 2 months you're body doesn't like it. Suffering for nothing. D:

Something really bothers my stomach but I can't figure it out! I thought soy at first, but sometimes I'm fine after eating it. Seems like completely different can do it that have no common ingredients but other times I'm fine. I give up! I'll live with it I guess.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote DJChicky View Post
    When I turned 15 I developed an allergic reaction to red tomatoes. It took a few months to figure this out, but red tomatoes (not yellow or green ones) caused my throat to swell, give me severe stomach cramps and I would get blisters on my lips. Being stubborn, since I really love tomatoes, I would try eating some now and the just to see if I got the same reaction. And most times I would.
    Fast forward to early 2008 when I became vegan, I suddenly stopped getting a reaction from them. I'm so ridiculously happy about it and I've been eating tomatoes like nobody's business. I'd like to believe that my vegan diet cured me of this allergy, but how/why did it happen?
    A similar thing happened to me when I was a teenager, but with a milder reaction. For about two years every time I ate tomatoes my legs would itch like mad. Then, it stopped, and I could eat them again (which is a good thing when you are veggie/vegan).
    Strange!

I've just had a weird reaction to apple and mango juice

Last night I had some with my dinner, and started feeling like I had indigestion (not normal for me) and uncomfortable and wheezy and nauseous. I couldn't stop burping, either! It's like the reaction I get when I eat mushrooms, but as I definitely haven't eaten mushrooms I thought maybe I'd just eaten too much.

I didn't sleep well, but felt all better this morning. I've just had another glass of apple and mango juice and the same thing just happened to me! I've googled quite a bit and can't find anyone having similar reactions either to apple juice or mango. In fact I found a few articles saying that an allergy to apple juice is extremely rare and that people with an apple allergy usually are ok with the juice. I'm a bit baffled.

It's quite possible that I'm allergic to apple/mango as I have oral allergy syndrome (linked to hayfever) with plums, melon and avocado. My mouth isn't itchy though, and I can't find anyone else who has reacted in this way. I was thinking maybe it's a yeast allergy/intolerance? I know there can be yeasts in cloudy apple juice and as yeast is a fungus like mushroom it might make more sense. Does anyone out there have a yeast allergy?

Whew, hope you feel better soon, I would ditch that juice asap.

I don't know anything about this particular thing but mango allergies seem to be fairly common as I expect you know. My other half seems to react to the skin of mangos (they make his mouth swell up something alarming) but he's OK with the flesh I know your reaction was different though.

I get this really weird sensation at the back of my tongue when I eat green kiwis; it doesn't happen with the yellow ones though. Weird

Thanks Harpy, I feel ok again now. I think the part of a fruit just next to the skin might have the most protein and so be worse.

From wikipedia:

Actinidain (or actinidin) is a type of cysteine protease enzyme found in fruits including kiwifruit (genus Actinidia), pineapple, mango and papaya.

It is an allergen.

Also from wikipedia:

Raw kiwifruit is also rich in the protein-dissolving enzyme actinidin, (in the same family of thiol proteases as papain), which is commercially useful as a meat tenderizer but can be an allergen for some individuals. Specifically, people allergic to latex, papayas or pineapples are likely to also be allergic to kiwifruit. The fruit also contains calcium oxalate crystals in the form of raphides. Reactions to these chemicals include sweating, tingling and sore mouth; swelling of the lips, tongue and face; rash; vomiting and abdominal pain; and, in the most severe cases, breathing difficulties, wheezing and collapse. The most common symptoms are unpleasant itching and soreness of the mouth, with the most common severe symptom being wheezing. Severe symptoms are most likely to occur in young children.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Was just reading that mango peel containes urushiol, a chemical also found in poison ivy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urushiol

I wouldn't have thought they'd put the peel into the juice, but I suppose some might get in by accident?

cobweb

i can't use latex, or eat pineapples or kiwis.

i'm glad you feel better now cherry.

Rocket Queen

I ate popadums and home made salsa last night and have been in pain all day

Oh dear, Festered - do you know what did it? Hope you're feeling better now, if not perhaps see a doc?

Rocket Queen

I've no idea!I wish I did. Maybe because I ate them after not eating much that day really. Maybe the spiciness of it...I don't know..I was pretty ill. Ibs maybe.

Yes eating after a long gap can cause problems can't it? If it's a sensitivity to a particular food I guess you would notice a pattern sooner or later (though it took me a long time to notice I had become sensitive to dairy products ). Perhaps keep a food diary for a little while if the problem is a recurrent one?

I'm so allergic to seafood that I have to carry an epi-pen just incase I come in contact with it. I went into anaphalaxis a year or two ago and it wasn't pretty. That was just from having chips from a chippy.

Recently however I am finding that around once a month I am getting sick, i.e vomiting etc for an unexplained reason. I'm not eating any differently at all so I'm completely bemused. This happened to me before when I was between 18-20 on and off. I just put it down to living with students, but now I live in my own flat, just me, the cats and my gf I can't see what I'm allergic too/ upsets my tummy.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Yay! I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one with a gluten allergy/sensitivity. I used to get sick after every single meal for 19 years (since I was 6 years old) until someone suggested I might be allergic to wheat gluten (not a single doctor ever had that idea in 19 years!).. I went out and spent a small fortune on gluten-free foods (so expensive for stuff that tastes like cardboard!) and never felt sick again! YAY! Buuuut it's bumming me out having to avoid anything with wheat gluten, wheat, wheat flour, rye, barley...

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    I'm so allergic to seafood that I have to carry an epi-pen just incase I come in contact with it. I went into anaphalaxis a year or two ago and it wasn't pretty. That was just from having chips from a chippy.
    Blimey, that doesn't sound nice.

The list of things I'm allergic to seems to be growing I had a handful of walnuts the other night, and half my tongue swelled up. Great.

My chocolate sensitivity is getting worse.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Default Re: When I eat... (a food sensitivity/reaction thread)

That sucks Tigylilly!

Quote xwitchymagicx View Post
    Anything with gluten
    I think I may have ceoliac disease... I refuse to get tested, I am not going back and eating gluten daily for weeks so I can get diagnosed with something I've had years. I looked up the symptoms so I try not to eat ANY now, as I'm getting malnourished as my calcium and so on is lowww! Bah humbug.

Only problem is with no offical diagnosis means I get medicated with gluten/lactose in and I'm like I CAN'T have it, and they are like...hmm doesn't say on notes and it is like...lol As I cut it out due to what opticion said.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

If I ingest gluten, dairy or processed sugar, my face breaks out in terrible acne a couple days later. Bloating and sinus problems (post nasal drip) also usually follows.

I don't really notice anything with food that I eat now.. Although I used to turn green if I ate egg, milk would make my eczema terrible, and marmite would make me throw up. Cheese used to make me really clammy and come up in cold sweats as well - what's interesting is that the vegan cheezley nacho cheese does the same thing?!

Interesting: My citrus sensitivity seems to have disappeared.

I've been tested for food sensitivities, a lot came up for me. The ones I notice the most are gluten & soy, both make me feel tired, snotty & sore in the stomach. I'm off sugar now too (mostly) and my skin is much clearer (not that it was ever that bad) and I feel better not always craving sugar and then crashing afterwards.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

I've had a few minor reactions recently...due to seafood exposure which is sure to mean that there's a big one coming. Stupid people! Taste before my life.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Jippia

I am a little sensitive to tomatoes. I get stomach problems and breakouts when I eat a lot of tomatoes/tomato sauce. Also chocolate gives me breakouts but no stomach problems.

Foods that currently bother me:

-Chocolate, especially dark chocolate bars: nausea, heart burn, hot flashes, dizziness.
    -Eggplant, fried and/or prepared with tomatoes: heart burn
    -Apples, fresh apples not apple based products: itchy gums

Foods that currently bother me would be anything containing yeast, refined suagr and vinegar with the exception of apple cider vinegar. It is kind of like Candida but not as bad

Default Stomach Cramps

This may have nothing to do with my diet, but this morning (after breakfast) I've had unbearable stomach cramps that I definitely don't usually get. And being relatively new to veganism I thought I'd check if I'm doing anything wrong.

Breakfast this morning: porridge with soy milk, chia seeds and banana

Yesterday's food:
    B- Porridge with soy milk & chia seeds
    Snack - Pumpkin seed and cranberry bar
    L - Hummous w/ rivita, carrots and cucumber
    D - Cous Cous w/ spinach

Maybe it's just the amount of fiber I'm eating... but does anyone else get stabby stomach cramps?

I had this problem last Sunday. Saturday I made a homemade tahini by blending some seseme seeds and oil I had on hand and I made a wrap with the homemade tahini, brocoli sprouts, and red pepper. The next morning I felt gassy and was burping, and by afternoon I had terrible cramping diarrhea that lasted through Monday. I LOVE tahini but my body reacts poorly to it. Hummous is made with tahini (usually) and I have a similar reaction with that too, especially homemade. Not saying this is your issue but I see that there are a lot of servings of seedy types of foods in your list. Seeds can be hard to digest.

Ah yes I do eat a lot of seeds... Thanks! Good to know it's not just me. It went away by lunch time too.