Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Food sensitivity/reaction

ConsciousCuisine

Default Food sensitivity/reaction

Here's a thread to post about sensitivities and reactions you have to certain foods.

I'll start:

When I eat peanuts, I get VERY stinky gas .

When I eat sugary chocolate, very salty foods and cooked oils I often get headaches. Potato chips (which I LOVE but avoid for multiple reasons) almost certainly trigger an unpleasant response.

When I eat salty foods (even in moderation) in combination with nightshades when I have PMS, I often get headaches and retain LOTS of water. My breasts also go up an entire cup size if I eat salty foods when I'm PMS-ing or as the case may be

When I eat processed low protein foods like boxed cereals, I often get very sleepy (blood sugar response).

When I ingest "hydrolyzed soy protein" or heavily processed soy (fake "meats") I often have rapid heart rate, stuffy nose and headache.

When I eat too much nutritional yeast, I become dehydrated, achy and my throat becomes red and swollen.

When I drink beer (yes even just one) I rapidly put on weight and retain water and certain ones cause a bright red blotchy flush on my face and chest.

Because I have these reactions, (and because most of these foods aren't healthy to begin with) I seldom eat most of these foods.

Default Re: When I eat... (a food sensitivity/reaction thread)

I have problems with sweet peppers and onions:

Peppers (especially green ones) give me wind, cramps, stinky farts if they are not cooked to death. The rawer they are the worse it is. I love raw onion, though

Raw onions give me the runs and a "ring of fire" - well cooked they are no problem. Red onions are less of a problem.

Apparently my mum has problems with peppers and my dad with onions - looks like I got both problems.

Just about everything I cook has both in - but I generally make sure they are well cooked.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Rob(QG)
    Peppers (especially green ones) give me wind, cramps, stinky farts if they are not cooked to death. The rawer they are the worse it is.
    I get indigestion from sweet (bell) peppers too, mostly heartburn and reflux. If they are cooked to death I can sometimes handle them without indigestion, but I avoid them 99% of the time.

my skin is peeling and if i eat nuts or tomato concentrat it gets worse
    http://www.prijatelji-zivotinja.hr/index.en.php

I get bad gas from onions and pears.
    And too much wheat gives me indigestion and bloating. I hardly ever eat any wheat bread. Rye seems to be ok though.
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

Quote applepie
    I get bad gas from onions and pears.

That's really interesting as pears are supposed to be the one thing that noone is allergic to.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

When I drink alcohol I talk a lot. When I drink more i have issues walking.

When I eat pies I get fat.........mmmm, pies

Other than that nothing that i'm aware of. Some foods I just hate, like brocolli, but i'm not allergic to them.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

When I eat citrus, I get horrible sinus migraines. Pain all over my head, my eyes, my nose, my jaw line. I can't do anything. I can't read, I can't lie down, I can't talk. I sometimes break down and use some OTC medecines but it only works a little bit. Limes and lemons aren't so bad if I only have a squeeze or two of them. Dairy and lots of grapes do this to me too.

When I eat fried foods after not eating them for a while, I get crampiness but that doesn't usually stop me.

When I eat a lot of bread products, I feel sluggish, bloated, and sometimes nauseas.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    When I drink beer (yes even just one) I rapidly put on weight and retain water and certain ones cause a bright red blotchy flush on my face and chest..
    Is that just a reaction to beer or alcohol in general?
    I ask because I know that a lot of people are allergic to alcohol and unaware of it. Alcohol allergy can be very dangerous. The bright red flush is one of the symptoms of alcohol allergy. So I'm mentioning this just in case. I'm not a doctor or anything, I just watched a show about it some time ago.

Whole wheat or rye grains, or anything with wheat bran or rye bran in it (such as wholemeal bread or pasta), makes me feel bloated and flatulent and need to rush off to the loo about eight times a day

Wish I'd been quicker at figuring this out - I thought it was just an effect of a high-fibre diet, but in fact I can eat any amount of other whole grains, fruit, veg, beans etc without having this effect.

Quote RedWellies
    That's really interesting as pears are supposed to be the one thing that noone is allergic to.
    really? that's interesting. it's definitely pears doing this to me.
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

Eating cauliflower gives me really bad gas.

Drinking wine makes me really goofy.

Quote Mr Flibble
    When I drink alcohol I talk a lot. When I drink more i have issues walking.
    I was gonna say " When I drink alcohol I fall over ..." but you beat me to it so I'll be more serious.

When I eat mushrooms I feel *really* sick, get stomach cramps and it feels like my stomach goes frothy! Not nice. I've always detested mushrooms and now I know why!

When I eat some fruits like plums, avocados and nectarines (especially when they're not quite ripe) I get allergic lumps on my lips. Apparently fruit allergies are related to hay fever - i.e. if you are allergic to birch pollen you can have sensitivity to apples as the proteins in them are similar. This makes sense as I developed pollen/fruit allergies at the same time (when I was about 18).

ConsciousCuisine

Quote archaeopteryx
    Is that just a reaction to beer or alcohol in general?
    I ask because I know that a lot of people are allergic to alcohol and unaware of it. Alcohol allergy can be very dangerous. The bright red flush is one of the symptoms of alcohol allergy. So I'm mentioning this just in case. I'm not a doctor or anything, I just watched a show about it some time ago.
    I'd love to watch a show that discuued alcohol allergy! It's more common that one would think...the allergies are oftn reactions to the refining, clarifying and processing agents.

For me, the flush and associated symptoms can happen with all alcohol...it's just more pronounced with certain ones like beer...I only drink organic now but when I used to be more open about having a glass of wine or a beer out with friends, I had TERRIBLE reactions. I think it's a combination of sulfites, yeasts and the processes used as well as the "Asian Flush", (which is the proper term, NOT "Oriental" as seen below ) a genetic ALDH deficiency.

http://www.allergyclinic.co.nz/guides/54.html

"The commonest abnormal reaction to alcohol is seen in persons from an oriental background, who get flushing, increased heart rate, and symptoms of reduced blood pressure due to a genetic impairment in the metabolism of alcohol. This is sometimes referred to as 'oriental flushing syndrome'. The response is thought to be due to increased levels of acetaldehyde (in the blood, which causes signs of histamine release) due to impaired breakdown of alcohol caused by Aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) deficiency. Approximately 50% of Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans are deficient in ALDH, and this has been reported to be protective against the development of alcoholism."

Also, when I eat too many sweet onions, my secretions smell like onions.

No food makes me feel bad...except alcohol, more than one glass of wine or any alcoholic drink and I feel like I am dying - literally. I had to have the doctor out once to give me valium IM.
    Silent but deadly :p

ConsciousCuisine

VALIUM and ALCOHOL??? Wow. American Doctors are quite different.

Oh and beans and a lot of raw veggies gives me gas.

Too much sugar makes me feel gross; I can't describe it.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

mango woman

when i eat really greasy food or food that in my mind i know isn't the healthiest, i swear it weighs me down when i'm trying to exercise.. or even just function. weird feeling.

geysir111

Talking Re: When I eat... (a food sensitivity/reaction thread)

When I take too much cafein, like when I take 2 or 3 coffees in a row, I usually takes them with soya milk, I often have gastric or intestinal gases...

When I eat too much beans, I have the same reaction (soya beans, baked tomato beans, etc...)

When I smoke beedies (indian cigarettes with about 20% tobacco), I feel having shallower lungs, athletic performance reduced, I usually as well think I'm getting injuried easily and heal slowly (collagen production reduced???). I can have as well bad skin, my skin becomes paler and unhealthier years after years, halitosis as well (persisten bad breath), and I would risk (of course much less than cigarette smokers) a cancer or other important health problems.

When I smoke weed, the bad effects of tobacco are there but I don't feel them as much, my head begins to whirl and then I got high and I feel fine... I can have some little hallucinations as well...

About mushies... I took sacred mushrooms only once and apparently, just sometime it triggers vomiting, not always (that's what they said). Anyway, it takes 1 hour for me to enter in a kind of other realm, other world, I laugh so much because beeing in contact with spirits and ghosts makes me laugh... and it improves in a totaly illogical sense my philosophical thinking ability.

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    I'd love to watch a show that discuued alcohol allergy! It's more common that one would think...the allergies are oftn reactions to the refining, clarifying and processing agents.

For me, the flush and associated symptoms can happen with all alcohol...it's just more pronounced with certain ones like beer...I only drink organic now but when I used to be more open about having a glass of wine or a beer out with friends, I had TERRIBLE reactions. I think it's a combination of sulfites, yeasts and the processes used as well as the "Asian Flush", (which is the proper term, NOT "Oriental" as seen below ) a genetic ALDH deficiency.
    You seem already well versed on the subject - that's good. I was just checking.
    The show I saw dealt with the effects of alcohol generally with a handful of volunteers being subjected to various medical and mental/motor skill tests throughout a night of drinking. Amongst the volunteers was one alcohol allergic person (from an asian background) and she was unaware of her allergy. There were a lot of computer generated images too showing images of the kind of havoc that alcohol wreaks upon the body. Then there was a whole section of the show about hangovers - the morning after. Quite interesting. It hasn't put me off of the occasional glass of red wine though yet.

I have two strange reactions to food myself. Strong mints and very dark chocolate make me sneeze. I only sneeze a couple of times and there are no other ill effects or after effects and it doesn't put me off eating mints or chocolate either.

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    When I ingest "hydrolyzed soy protein" or heavily processed soy (fake "meats") I often have rapid heart rate, stuffy nose and headache.
    I had the same reaction, it came on ever since they brought in GM soya, it got so bad that a few times I thought I was done for. If I ate almost anything with soya in, half an hour later I'd have heart pains and rapid pulse. I contacted a few of the food makers to check the contents on some products that claimed to be GMO free. At first they'd say that the product was GMO free, but when I said that I was sensitive to GM and was getting a rapid heart beat they changed the story and said that they try to make the product GM free but they can't be sure as at that time the soya was all mixed and untraceable.

I switched to organic soya and never had another problem.

To me personally its the best proof yet that GM isn't safe, but then, do they care?

When I eat meat, I feel like I have a hang over (which is one of the many reasons I quit)

Drinking alcohol awakens my IBS (which is one of the reasons I no longer drink)

Mashed potatoes make me feel bloated, but baked potatoes don't. Of course, I may just eat too many mashed potatoes since they are just so good

I'm intolerantto yeast, sugar, sweetners, mushrooms and in general anything processed (yucky nasty chemicals)

anything with yeast in makes me bloat, gives me cramps and can either result in me running to the loo (sargent urgent), or not going for days(then sheep pellets) sorry to be so graphic!!

Also sugar makes me feel awful (refined) and aggrevates my candida. I also try to avoid wheat as much as possible as that tends to bung me up.
    'Never eat more than you can lift' - 'Miss Piggy' :p

yikes if i've been eating artificial sweeteners i get incredibly light headed and feel kinda "water-logged", no more no more!

i first feel the effects of alcohol first in my legs (it feels like they are fatigued like i've ran a few miles) and i always poo a lot if i've been drinking!

berries also have a laxative effect on me, broccoli gives me gas.

one tequila, two tequila, three tequila.. FLOOR!! *Need I explain further?*

No really, CC, you are so awesome to start this thread.

For SOME odd reason... I cannot handle starches of any kind, soda, & flour. Cooked food gives me incredible pain (pins-n-needles as well) so I'm on my way to transitioning to raw fruit/veg foodie.

It's the only way for relief.

When i drink coolers - I immediatly get weak, even after one.
    When i eat fatty foods, i feel like a sponge
    When i eat anything lately, i feel like im going to puke right afterwards, and have no idea why.
    "You'd better take care of me lord, otherwise you're gonna have me on your hands" - Hunter S. Thompson

[quote=Sweets]
    i first feel the effects of alcohol first in my legs (it feels like they are fatigued like i've ran a few miles) quote]

Yea, thats the same with my legs!! It starts in my legs and moves to my arms.
    "You'd better take care of me lord, otherwise you're gonna have me on your hands" - Hunter S. Thompson

when i eat wheat it makes me feel awful. i get stomach cramps, headaches, drowsiness/dizziness and a heavy feeling in my limbs. the trouble is i'm totally addicted to it and find it really hard to go without it completely but every time i sneak it back in i just feel horrible again
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Anything with gluten in gives me a headache *i mean a headache as well plus ache everywhere else*, nausea, tiredness...I don't faint but i get v.v.v dizzy also. *I cut it out but some times I eat it! It isn't worth it one day I'll learn!*

Citrus, tomotos *only the fresh kind though *, chocolate, caffiene, walnuts...give me the same effects as gluten does...

Fake sugar makes me ill also.

I have a lot of food sensitivity's.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Quote xwitchymagicx
    Anything with gluten in gives me a headache *i mean a headache as well plus ache everywhere else*, nausea, tiredness...I don't faint but i get v.v.v dizzy also. *I cut it out but some times I eat it! It isn't worth it one day I'll learn!*
    i'm the same with wheat... every time i make myself ill i tell myself i won't eat it again, but it's sooo hard
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla
    i'm the same with wheat... every time i make myself ill i tell myself i won't eat it again, but it's sooo hard
    I know. Gluten free bread etc isn't the same.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I forgot:

Kale gives me massive bad gas! Like a fart every second or so.

I still eat it though. It's too yummy to give up.

wheat/gluten affects me. it used to make me reallllly sick but ever since i turned 20 i can for some reason handle it alot better. which is really exciting for me because now i can have it sometimes without being bothered. i cant eat it everyday or i get headaches, fatigue, and i get itchy on my legs. but if i eat once in a while, like a couple times a week, i dont get any symptoms. i USED to get extremely sick from it. joint pain, bone pain, massive headaches, aches and pains, extreme fatigue, diarheaa, gas, etc. all of the symptoms of celiac disease. now it seems its just a gluten or wheat sensitivity. i wonder if i could tolerate something like, rather than gluten free rice bread, just wheat free bread. (which would be alot cheaper for me) or sprouted grain breads.

its exciting because that means i can eat flour products now when i go out to eat. ie. sub sandwiches, pizza or chinese food. i dont have that limitation anymore. not like i go out alot, but when i do, its nice that i have that option knowing that i wont nearly die from eating it once lol. its also exciting that if i feel like a treat or something, i could buy veggie burgers, or something thats vegan that contains gluten. ie. burritos or whatever. now i can join in on things, like bbq's and stuff.

i dont have a sensitivity to anything else though. except sugar. if i eat something with sugar in it (candy, drinks, icecream, too much fruit, dried fruit) i feel extremely nauseous. thats why id rather eat something salty than sweet any day.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

[QUOTE=Plunder Bunnie]
    Quote Sweets
    i first feel the effects of alcohol first in my legs (it feels like they are fatigued like i've ran a few miles) quote]

Yea, thats the same with my legs!! It starts in my legs and moves to my arms.
    i feel it in my arms first, like they feel heavy or something. its wierd. especially with coolers.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I cant eat Florida mangos. I get a rash. But if I go to the Islands and I eat mangos there, nothing?
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

I seemed to have developed an allergy to nuts - I get a rash on my chin and neck that then gets very dry and scaly - it's gross.
    Anyone else have problems with this?
    I should probably go get some allergy testing.
    "What have you learned, Dorothy?"

Quote maya
    I cant eat Florida mangos. I get a rash. But if I go to the Islands and I eat mangos there, nothing?
    Maybe less pesticides? Or a different type of pesticide?

Hey guys this is kind of embarrassing but the past few days I have had horrible gas and and bloating, uncomfortable feeling in my stomach. I dont eat a huge amount but its so uncomfortable I feel like I am full or i ate a lot when I really havent.

I have been reading that alot of you have had similar symptoms when sensitive or allergic to certain foods.
    I was just wondering if anyone knows what sort of food could trigger these kind of pains/gas. Or if anyone knows any quick fixes for this.
    Thanks so much, Shareen

tabitha

Hi Shareen,
    I get that if I eat bread. I try and avoid bread as much as possible, but I love it so much that sometimes I will go mad and just eat it all the time, even though I know its going to have that effect on me! I drink a lot of peppermint tea if it happens and that helps. It also helps to chew food really thoroughly. I know thats common sense but I find it really difficult to eat slowly!!b

Quote Shareen
    I was just wondering if anyone knows what sort of food could trigger these kind of pains/gas. Or if anyone knows any quick fixes for this.
    Wheat seems to be a common one (in my case it seems to be just wheat bran though), but other foods can do it too. At least we don't have to worry about dairy.

Can you recall eating anything out of the ordinary, or in a larger quantity than usual?

Peppermint tea is good - so is fennel tea. And exercise.

So peppermint tea huh? Good suggestion I dont have any stocked in my home but maybe I will go buy some tommarrow. I am about to go to bed it has settled down a bit I hope it doesnt keep me up .
    The strange thing I noticed though is the healthier I eat the more I get upset stomachs, bloating, gas and headaches when I eat things that arrent super healthy or even too much bread or something. I thought it was strange at first that this didnt happen when I wasnt a veggie/vegan but I think what it is is that the healthier I am the more my body recognizes toxins or food thats not as good for me and rejects them than before because its not a majority of what I eat.
    P.s I did eat healthy today except for like a bag of jalepeno natural kettle chips maybe that was it it was a large amount ...but its been like this for a few days now and i was eating healthy than too.
    Thanks for the help guys!

FR

Avocado; when I eat them, I feel like I am going to die. They were okay when I first tried them, then one day I got really sick. Now when I think about them, I think they are really gross. The smell, texture, and taste, yuk!

Soy milk gives me bad gas. I haven't eaten tofu in a pretty long time, but I don't think the gas occurs with the tofu. Wierd.

Also, now that I've almost completely given up refined sugar, too much makes me feel gross. I was craving something sweet today and had cookies. Now the area in front of my lower back hurt, towards the sides. Maybe my body is trying to tell me not to eat stuff like that anymore.

Sea Vegetables - makes me very sick, even bedridden - any kind. The iodine messes with my thyroid condition.

Eggplant - Get acid reflux or something. Still eat it because it's delicious but have to take an antacid afterwards.

Yeast - Can handle bread but fake cheese products (ie parmesan, chreeze etc.) and tartex pate (as delicious as they are) make my taste buds stand up and get a sore throught. I get a weird coating on them too.

I get nightmares when I have more than a tablespoon or two of soy sauce/tamari. Have to limit it, though want lots. Add stock to my stir-fry instead.

Talking Re: When I eat... (a food sensitivity/reaction thread)

kiwis... my throat swells up

sugary things - headaches

celery - things stuck between my teeth... this bothers me more than the kiwi thing...

the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

I noticed when I eat avocados, I feel very...clogged or slobbish. It's weird.

mango woman

when i eat celery it makes me homicidal. Juuust kidding. celery is gross though.

I think that if i eat really crappy foods one day [junk food.. not many F/V] and then the next day i eat really healthy i get really really reallllllly bloated and uncomfortable... and have gas that won't escape! Maybe this will keep me from eating unhealthy vegan food. hmm. not likely.

avacados make me feel wonderful! My skin glows the next day and I just feel great when I eat them. Carrot juice gives my skin a nice feeling too and eating olive oil makes me feel great.

Sometimes when i eat Tofurky i feel nauseaus afterwords. It doesn't happen all the time, and i am not sure if it is because it is so filling, or just tastes too "meaty."

Melon makes my throat itch - cantelope and honeydew. I am not a big fan of melon.