Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Food sensitivity/reaction

Default Re: When I eat... (a food sensitivity/reaction thread)

Tofurky deli slices make me wanna gag if I eat them alone. I have to eat them in a sandwich with lots of veggies and mustard.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

princessemma

Vegan bacon makes me repeat all day but I think it does that with everyone. If I have cooked tomatoes, ketchup or baked beans and then drink orange juice my tongue swells up. and it feels like it's 'spotty'.

I sometimes feel sick from wheat during certain parts of my cycle, not sure which parts. During those times I allow myself to eat white bread. That is to say, I'm allowed to if I really want a sandwich, but I still don't like the stuff.

I have problems with swollen lips from avocados as well. Is there any danger in eating foods that you are not deathly allergic to?

I realllly love avocados with a bit of salt. It seems like the film under the skin in the worst part.

When i eat potato's (esp mashed for some reason) i feel really bloated and get bad stomach cramps, i also ate a pot noodle a while back and i felt sick and ill and crampy all day, it was awful! First and last time for that.

Other than that i haven't really noticed any other reactions, apart from when i eat something high fat content my chin feels really oily!
    Last edited by Ara; Feb 23rd, 2006 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Word missing!
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

i didn't think any Pot Noodles were vegan... or do you mean a different brand?

It was one i got from lidl's (a students best friend!). I think the spicy curry and sweet and sour actual pot noodles are vegan though, i think i remember seeing them in the animal free shopper, they may have changed though. I can always go to my flatmates cupboard and check them hehe!
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

If I eat broccoli and tomato mixed together in a meal it makes me feel very sick. I can eat them seperately no problems, just not together.

Garlic makes stinky gas with me...but I LOVE it and eat it anyway! Mwah-ha-ha! But if I'm going on a date with hubby or have an appointment, I will plan ahead and not eat it the day of and before.

Raw pineapple burns my mouth and skin...but I eat it anyway...very carefully!

When I consume oils, I feel like it leaves my body straight out my skin. VERY annoying.

Wine makes me sick with the first taste, but that might be more of a psychological reaction (you probably don't want to know that story).

If hubby has refined sugar, he runs a fever, has headache, and has some strange feeling in is ankles that drives him nuts.

Peanuts are like poison for Luke.

This is kinda on the flip-side, but when I have soy, I feel AWESOME!! It's like every cell in me gets a shot of health, energy, and sense of well-being. I am extremely sensitive to it, but in a very good way. Is that weird?

Quote Peas'nHominy
    This is kinda on the flip-side, but when I have soy, I feel AWESOME!! It's like every cell in me gets a shot of health, energy, and sense of well-being. I am extremely sensitive to it, but in a very good way. Is that weird?

Thats how i feel when I eat avocados!

Peas'nHominy,
    I have the same problem with raw pineapple, but my fiance like to but one as a treat

I noticed when I eat a lot of refined white bread or sucralose sweetener (not aspartame, though), I get itchy and my excema breaks out.

mango woman

People don't believe me when i talk about really being able to tell a difference when i eat shitfood or good, healthy food. I'm slowly finding that so with organics as well. For example, i had a regular non-organic banana at the mum's house yesterday [i didnt want to but was sooo hungry.. i had just gotten out of class] and it was wierd, hard, SQUEAKY and didn't taste anything like the organic bananas i have smiling at me from on top of the microwave.

Quote Tigerlily
    I noticed when I eat a lot of refined white bread or sucralose sweetener (not aspartame, though), I get itchy and my excema breaks out.
    Same with me. It can get really bad if I eat a lot of refined food. Goes away if I stick to organic whole wheat though. At first the doctors thought I was allergic to wheat but it turns out that something in the refining of it causes me problems. I still wind up eating refined wheat products now and then but definately not an everyday thing.

Quote Jane M
    Same with me. It can get really bad if I eat a lot of refined food. Goes away if I stick to organic whole wheat though. At first the doctors thought I was allergic to wheat but it turns out that something in the refining of it causes me problems. I still wind up eating refined wheat products now and then but definately not an everyday thing.
    I recently went 'cold turkey' from all gluten/wheat for 3 weeks. The first 3 days i thought I was going to die - my boyfriend said it was a bit scary to be with me then cos I was acting like an addict (begging, bargaining and reasoning with him to let me have something like bread etc.). It really freaked me out. I feel like I'm over the 'addiction' now (& have lost 3 kilos this month without even thinking about weightloss!). I'm still reluctant to have wheat in particular and I'm not sure if it's just wheat or all gluten that was initially the issue... I guess that perhaps more refined wheat products would be more of an issue but who knows?. Anyone else had this kind of problem??

Diana
    akaredarcher
    If I didn't say it, don't assume it.

Quote Ara
    I think the spicy curry and sweet and sour actual pot noodles are vegan though
    Just sweet & sour.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

When I drink coffee (even just one small mug), I pee and pee and pee! I peed 5 times in the past hour!

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Tigerlily
    When I drink coffee (even just one small mug), I pee and pee and pee! I peed 5 times in the past hour!
    Your poor little kidneys

Yeah.

I recently discovered I'm sensitive to white flour products. i bought some tomato flavored rolls from the supermarket, and ate two of them for lunch, i was deathly ill the next morining. I didn't make the connection.
    Then, I made spaghetti and tomato sauce for supper, and again, the next morning, I was so sick my husband almost came home from work to take care of me. Still, no connection. Then it was an onion bagle, and I was sick and draggy for hours. Only after I made a cleansing tea and stopped eating white flour altogether, did I start to feel better.
    "Uh, we don't eat meat. It's kind of like a professional courtesy." -Maggie, Home on the Range

Interesting about wheat. I gave it up for a couple of weeks and stuck with corn, rice & oats and detected no change. Re-introduced wheat and felt the same. Feel lucky as so many people these days have wheat allergies. Fortunately, we can now find many and varied products to cater for them.

I absolutely agree, i am so glad there are other things I can eat, and certain whole wheat products don't seem to bother me as much. My hubby found regular pasta made from rice( as apposed to asian rice stick noodles), and i have been quite happy to get most of my carbs from potatoes and rice. And snacking on popcorn isn't too shabby either.
    "Uh, we don't eat meat. It's kind of like a professional courtesy." -Maggie, Home on the Range

I just ate chick peas curry and Rotis (Chapattis). A straight forward recipie. I cooked this myself. All basic ingredients cooked in slight amount of olive oil.

I am now experiencing a strange feeling in my throat. It hurts a little when trying to swallow anything. It also feels like something is lodged in my throat, but nothing is.

Does anyone know why this is?

Thanks.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Did it have nuts? What spices did you use? Are you allergic to anything? What a shame you had that reaction, the food sounded yum!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote RedWellies
    Did it have nuts? What spices did you use? Are you allergic to anything? What a shame you had that reaction, the food sounded yum!
    Chick peas curry (nuts?). But this has never happened before. Normal curry powder (home made and hence safe). I am not allergic to anything. Not to my knowledge, but this incident has proved that I am allergic to something. I have no idea to what!

Could you have burnt your throat swallowing hot food?
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

feral

If you're sensitive to any of the ingredients it could give you a sore throat for a few hours kiran, or you could be getting a cold.

I develop sensitivities to most foods after a while so I have to try and rotate foods as much as possible. Wheat makes me bloated and aggravates my psoriasis and oats give me chronic fatigue and make my joints really sore and bell peppers make me barf.

I am going to have some sweetened soy milk. Hope that will help. But I feel like putting my hand down my throat and pulling out any arbitarary thingie outta there!!!

I get that same feeling when I eat walnuts. I never had any problems with walnuts before, then a few years ago my gums started to swell up when I ate them and a few months later my throat followed suit. Maybe you have developed an allergy to something. A friend of mine told me that if you are allergic to something that you should stop eating it (STOP EATING WALNUTS!?!?!?! ) lest your allergy progress until one day you are suprisingly dead.
    But she is sometimes as much as a know it all as me . Maybe it is possible that the spicy food irritated your throat?

feral

Well yes Haniska it is advisable to avoid food you know you're allergic to, some allergies can progress to be life threatening.

Quote feral
    Well yes Haniska it is advisable to avoid food you know you're allergic to, some allergies can progress to be life threatening.
    I realize that I seem silly, but I really enjoy walnuts, and I felt that if it was only a swelling then I could tolerate it. I'm glad and also a bit disappointed with your second opinion. Thanks

feral

Sorry it wasn't what you wanted to hear Haniska. I really think you should ask your doctor about this, although people here are well read on their nutrition etc most of us aren't qualified to give medical advice. It would be a shame if you gave up something you enjoyed if you didn't really need to.

P.S. you don't see silly at all!

I want a nice juicy blood orange!

Why is it we crave the foods that we react too? Even though I am quite happy with alternatives I really crave wheat products....knowing I'll get a bad rash if I eat them.

Quote Jane M
    Why is it we crave the foods that we react too? Even though I am quite happy with alternatives I really crave wheat products....knowing I'll get a bad rash if I eat them.
    They don't make alternatives to citrus fruits (a.k.a MY FAVOURITE FRUITS). Sometimes I wish scientists would make fruits that taste like an orange but don't have the active citrus ingredients or whatever. I don't care if it would be GMO, I want it anyway!

mango woman

Im not sure if this can happen, but i think my body doesn't like it when i eat late at night.. i.e. past like midnight. last night i ate the other half of my erbs & gerbs sub before bed [heh] and now i'm paying for it this morning.. .i'm sick to my stomach and i am really scared to eat anything. i hate waking up and starting the day off being hunched over the toilet. [oh and No i'm not pregnant ] but this sucks. anyone ever heard of something like this happening? It's happened to me before too.. once for like a week i couldn't eat anything before like noon and had to stop eating around 4 pm or i'd just get sick. i woke up a couple hours ago feeling like pure crap, and then finally i just got sick. [sorry about all the info]

I have loads of allergies and intolerances unfortunately

I'm allergic to cows milk protein and intolerant to lactose, but obviously that's not an issue anymore.

Whole lentils give me terrible indigestion and gas, but seem to be ok with the split ones.

I have a yeast allergy and come up in hives when I eat anything processed or fermented or mouldy (such as mushrooms)

Very sensitive to sugar - too much and I get hives as above, and sneeze non stop for hours, even to the next day. Even fruit causes a reaction in me at the moment as I've got candida.

I can't tolerate onions, garlic or chillis and they make me stuffed up and sinusy.

Potatoes make me sneeze and feel stuffed up.

I can't tolerate caffeine but I don't drink coffee or tea so don't a problem.

I might be funny with tomatoes but I'm hoping I'm not as I love them!

Oh and kidney beans cooked from a packet also give me bad indigestion, but I seem to be ok with canned ones.

I'm not an anti-candida diet at the moment, but not easy

Stezzy maybe you could try soaking your pulses with a piece of kombu seaweed. That's supposed to help with digestability.

mango woman

Okay, i am almost ALWAYS bloated and uncomfortable. I guess i'm in the same boat as shareen.. so any help for shareen could be help for me as well!

Quote fiamma View Post
    Stezzy maybe you could try soaking your pulses with a piece of kombu seaweed. That's supposed to help with digestability.
    Ooh thanks for that, I'll give tha a try and see if that helps

I have no idea what it is but for the past week or so I have been obviously reacting to something. I have a lot of sensitivites to foods and preservatives. I am trying to narrow it down to any possibilities.

Has anyone ever noticed a reaction to raw agave nectar? I have also been taking digestive enzymes being that lately it seems anything I eat is very difficult to digest (i.e. gas, bloating)

It is really upsetting me that I cant figure this out. My reaction is swelling in my legs and feet (very uncomfortable and makes me feel so FAT!) I also have asthma which will become aggravated, and I have been waking up in the morning with a swollen tongue and lips..and my fingers seem to be a bit puffy too. This is all typical for me when I react to something so I am not necessarily freaked about it...but its driving me crazy that I just don't know what is doing it to me.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

VM, what are the enzymes made of? When did you start them? It doesn't seem like they're helping you.

I noticed a few months ago that I'm allergic to this herbal/ enzyme complex my osteopath gave me. I have asthma and allergies to a lot of plants, so I think the complex mustve had something in it that made my body react really badly. And a lot of people are allergic to weed type foods... like agave or bee pollen or other homeopathic remedies.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

they are plant based enzymes. its called V-Gest.

I definitely am one of those people that has reactions to weed type foods. i am extremely allergic to ragweed and anything in its family. such a bummer. i swear i feel like as time goes on I am getting to the point where there are only a select few things that I am not sensitive to.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

I looked at the supplement facts and it doesn't look like they have allergens. Just pure enzymes... weird.

What if you cut out the agave nectar? That seems to be the culprit... especially since it's raw! If that doesn't work, you cut try cutting out root/ nightshade vegetables. A number of people have issues digesting them.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Default Re: Food sensitivity/reaction

When I turned 15 I developed an allergic reaction to red tomatoes. It took a few months to figure this out, but red tomatoes (not yellow or green ones) caused my throat to swell, give me severe stomach cramps and I would get blisters on my lips. Being stubborn, since I really love tomatoes, I would try eating some now and the just to see if I got the same reaction. And most times I would.
    Fast forward to early 2008 when I became vegan, I suddenly stopped getting a reaction from them. I'm so ridiculously happy about it and I've been eating tomatoes like nobody's business. I'd like to believe that my vegan diet cured me of this allergy, but how/why did it happen?

Myabe you were never allergic to them in the first place, you say that most times you had them you'd get the reaction, if you were really allergic wouldn't it be all times? Did you ever get allergy tested?
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I think it was solely dependant on the amount I ate. A taste of salsa on one chip, ok. A cup of salsa and chips, bad reaction. Anything that contained tomato sauce would give me a reaction, so no pizza, lasagna etc. Once we figured out it was tomatoes that gave me the reaction, and nothing else bothered me, I saw no reason to get allergy tested.

cvC

Quote veggiemaya View Post
    I have been waking up in the morning with a swollen tongue and lips..
    This reminded me of a post in which another member described having similar symptoms after eating bananas. This did rather put me off them, but some raw foodists eat a lot of bananas and it was in doing some research on allergies to them that I came across the article linked below and which is about something called oral allergy syndrome, which it sounds as if you may have.

Quote veggiemaya View Post
    i am extremely allergic to ragweed and anything in its family.
    You haven't mentioned suffering from hayfever as far as I know, but the article says that OAS is an allergic reaction to fruits, nuts and vegetables caused by an individuals similar reaction to pollen and that ragweed is the most common cause of seasonal allergies. It lists foods that may cross-react with the various different seasonal allergies and banana's, melons and gourds such as cucumber are mentioned in the ragweed section. You've also mentioned that you get asthma, which is also mentioned as a possible reaction:

http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/...html?pageNum=1

I found the above link at the page linked below, which is about banana allergies and which, along with other foods, can also apparently be associated with an allergy to latex:

http://allergy.wegohealth.com/banana-allergy.html

If I eat anything with a high concentration of soy in it (milk, ice cream, luna bars) I get major stomach cramps and bowel movements.

Soda makes my stomach bubbly, and gives me the same problem as soy.

Bread and cakes make my stomach hurt and can give me gas. Haha. Looks like I'm going to be eating fruits and veggies the rest of my life, however I seem to be a sucker for punishment.

Pfft, I was FINE before I became vegan nine months ago! lol!

I have had food allergies/sensitivities since I was a kid.

But being vegan helped me get off antihistamines- mainly due to making me read food labels and learning what msg, aspartame etc is and after that my reactions weren't as bad.

I'm allergic to a lot of e-numbers- especially preservatives. I find that if I eat bad stuff on a full stomach, the reaction is delayed and lessened.

I love hummus, but my belly doesn't

Excess sugar always gives me spots.