Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Sainsbury's

Default Re: Sainsbury's

i've never even heard of a yum yum
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

helen105281

One of my colleagues lives for Yum Yums, my manager buys them for him most weeks!!!!! She always finds me something vegan too though

*live*&*let*live

That's awesome.!!
    Never seen that before... *shuts up before she dies with embarrassment*

Didn't know they were doughnuts tho!

I took a (very out of focus picture)

As you can see, it's in big letters in the allergy advice section, so (I'm hoping) maybe they are phasing some new vegan ones in. That's what I'm telling myself anyway
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Ooooooh! Yum-Yums are YUMMY!!! Nom nom nom Very easy to make yourself. Basically, long twisted doughnut with drizzled icing.

I am SOOOO happy to be able to get teacakes from Sainsbob's! Thought it was only the Basics which were vegan, but have found that the regular teacakes are also vegan! Huzzah! The Basics are...OK but I do prefer the regular! They don't get stuck so easily in my throat
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

No, no, no! We cannot have vegan yum yums! I don't have the self-control.

pavotrouge

off topic... a whole site of vegan yum yums: http://veganyumyum.com/

*live*&*let*live

Pusskins and Anne your kitties look similar did a double take for a sec!

BlackCats

Does anyone know if the Taste the Difference Everything bagels from Sainsbury's are vegan? They are baked in store and don't have an ingredients label. (I got sent some accidentally with my online shopping.)

I quite liked those Good Life nut cutlets but I had to eat a lot of them when we had to defrost our freezer and I have gone off them a bit now.

Quote BlackCats View Post
    Does anyone know if the Taste the Difference Everything bagels from Sainsbury's are vegan? They are baked in store and don't have an ingredients label. (I got sent some accidentally with my online shopping.).
    Can't see them on the superproductlistofcoolness
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/NR/rdonl...ineversion.pdf

Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

BlackCats

^ Oh well, I'll have to give them to my friend. Thanks Ms Derious.

You could ring the store and ask the bakery to check their booklet BC.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

This talk of doughnut derivatives reminds me of a little episode that happened many years ago when I used to work as a baker in a in-store bakery (large UK supermarket chain).

Being bakers we had to start a lot earlier than anyone else usually at 06.00 but sometimes earlier. Being there so early there were no managers about so there was a bit of a 'banqueting' culture, where various foods would be liberated from the shop floor. Findus French Bread Pizzas were a popular choice as was Fish & Chips, sausages etc.

This would either be baked in one of the bread ovens or more often the doughnut fryer (you can see where this going can't you?)

One day a very irate customer brought back a doughnut she had purchased demanding to know why her doughnut had a large lump of breaded scampi attached
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Nice
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

*live*&*let*live

^ 'liberate' the dead fish, and then throw it in the fryer.....mmmmhhh!

I have always quite liked Sainsbury, thought it was one of the better supermarket for vegans. But ... just been to my local one and they have no vegan soya mince stocked anymore, they have discontinued Baxters carrot and butter bean soup and - worst of all - they were selling live muscles

Quote Linxie View Post
    worst of all - they were selling live muscles
    i presume you mean mussels, the shellfish?
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

ha ha yes thats what I get for not concentrating on what I'm typing.

Live muscles would be pretty disgusting but live mussels are definitely more upsetting!

sorry if that sounded nit-picky btw, it wasn't intended to be. i just wanted to make sure i understood what you meant. it's a weird thing for a supermarket to sell, i wonder why they've started doing it?
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

*live*&*let*live

Money Gorilla, money. Sad but true I think.....

Quote Gorilla View Post
    sorry if that sounded nit-picky btw, it wasn't intended to be. i just wanted to make sure i understood what you meant. it's a weird thing for a supermarket to sell, i wonder why they've started doing it?
    No it made me laugh when I realised what I had written

I would be interested to see how many people buy them. I guess most people don't think of mussels as animals.

Zero

I don't really see any difference between selling these creatures live or dead, the outcome is the same in the end, they are equally bad.

Sainsburys are doing Beanburgers now which are Vegan

The forum doesn't seem to be there anymore. Has it moved? Or been removed?
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

It no longer exists - we're figments of your imagination
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Then I need some help....
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

how did you manage to post if the forum wasnt there?
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

pavotrouge

it's there, only invisible! Like the invisible jobcentre that gave me my invisible national insurance number for my invisible salary.

Vegetarian gravy - don't know if I have just mis-read the ingredients, but it now contains palm oil. I don't believe it did before? Plus, as mentioned on another thread, the 'new recipe' veg gravy is now marked as only vegetarian, despite still being vegan.
    Last edited by pusskins; Sep 23rd, 2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Clarification - juggled words around to make more sense.

Not real name!

Quote pusskins View Post
    Don't know if I have just mis-read the ingredients, but (as mentioned on another thread) the 'new recipe' veg gravy is now marked as only vegetarian AND contains palm oil. I don't believe it did before?
    If only someone had noticed before, started a thread about it and contacted Sainsburys to see if it was still Vegan.

Oh look!

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24670

Quote Glen Lambert View Post
    If only someone had noticed before, started a thread about it and contacted Sainsburys to see if it was still Vegan.

Oh look!

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24670
    I probably wasn't clear enough in my post. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

I stated that the vegetarian labelling bit was on another thread (sorry I didn't provide the link. I will make sure I do this in future), but it was the palm oil bit I was meaning to be the highlight of the post. I have edited the post to change the emphasis.

My local store has made their 'free-from' section even smaller than it used to be! It's absolutely tiny, and there is almost nothing good in it! Plus, I was disgusted at the fact that half of the things I saw there last time were very obviously out of date (I checked the packet, and, low and behold, tons of things were a week or so out)!

Plus, they stopped selling the old vegan butter we used to get, and have started stocking a new one which gives my brother and me bad reactions! I'm outraged! *Pulls a scary face*

Quote FatPassionFishPoet View Post
    Plus, I was disgusted at the fact that half of the things I saw there last time were very obviously out of date (I checked the packet, and, low and behold, tons of things were a week or so out)!
    If there were lots of out of date products then people obviously weren't buying them, explains why they reduced the section really...
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote pusskins View Post
    Vegetarian gravy - don't know if I have just mis-read the ingredients, but it now contains palm oil.
    It's likely it's always had palm oil in, just previously only labelled as vegetable oil.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Quote Risker View Post
    If there were lots of out of date products then people obviously weren't buying them, explains why they reduced the section really...
    *Sigh* Maybe so. There were lots of people around the section though. And they really should have new things out. Just leaving things on the shelf to rot is rediculous!

Is this new? If you shop on sainsburys online they put a symbol next to vegetarian products and a symbol next to vegan products.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

^ They've done that for a while

Has anyone else noticed the party pack of frozen samosas and bhajis is now only veggie, not vegan? I can't see any non-vegan ingredients (quick check only) so maybe it's a potential cross-contamination issue?

I don't think it's new. But unfortunately it's not exhaustive either. Lots of products that carry their vegan logo on the packaging don't have their vegan logo on the site.

yep sainsbury's aren't labelling as vegan where there's cross contamination issues, a bit of a pain in the neck but there we are. Same goes for many of the others too. I wish they's just get it straight forward. A vegetarian logo, a vegan logo and a vegan logo with an asterisk to tell you to read the allergen box. Then we could make the choice ourselves regarding the contamination risk issue and I would have a much easier time reading the labels looking up e numbers and bizarre chemicals and investigating suppliers etc.
    Warburton's bread is vegan as their E920 is entirely animal product free (corn process) but the supermarkets have asked them not to put vegan on the packet.

Quote Est View Post
    Has anyone else noticed the party pack of frozen samosas and bhajis is now only veggie, not vegan? I can't see any non-vegan ingredients (quick check only) so maybe it's a potential cross-contamination issue?
    Was that on the packaging itself, Est? I have some in an online order but may have to take them out of my trolley...

ETA: I've seen the new packaging now. (It's on their web site.) They're going to call me on Wednesday to let me know why they changed it.
    Last edited by robb; Nov 2nd, 2009 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks Bradders and Robb

Sainsbury's have confirmed that the samosas and bhajis are still vegan.

Apparently, it's up to the end supplier to decide whether or not to include the Sainsbury's vegan symbol, and the supplier has decided that it's "not necessary".

However, if they now change the ingredients to make them non-vegan, there would be nothing to alert us to this change. So I guess I won't be buying them any more.

What other Sainsbury's products has their vegan symbol disappeared from? The only other one that I'm aware of is their vegetarian gravy granules...

^ Wow, thanks for finding that out Robb.

I can't believe they leave a matter of customer service to the manufacturer - how ridiculous! I feel an email coming on!

Buddha Belly

Yay! me and Helen looked at them the other day and thought they were ok.

Buddha Belly

We had a little shock at Sainsbury's tonight. They have discontinued the vegan washing up liquid and fabric conditioner. I know there are other ones avalible from other places but it was a damn sight easier to get it in one go and not in 3 seperate trips.
    On top of that... they have placed the tofu next to the in store cooked meats. Yummy!

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    they have placed the tofu next to the in store cooked meats. Yummy!
    *gag*

Buddha Belly

I know I have to hold my breath. Bet they don't move it though. (Helen by the way)
    Last edited by Buddha Belly; Nov 16th, 2009 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Woops Helen did a BB

shocking! i imagine the cleaning products were due to poor sales but the tofu placement is outrageous- a complaint email may help though.

they put the tofu in the ready meal fridge in the one here, the freezer is a nightmare though as they jumbled up halal, kosher, vegan, vegetarian and free-from foods when there is precisely enough vegetarian and vegan food for one freezer and they could put the other crap in the other one. Also needs many complaints I feel.

helen105281

They have done that now in our one too, and mixed all the free from stuff in. So there are gluten free sausage rolls (meat ones) in with the veggie stuff.